Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:argh: I HATE delivering to those apartments. Not that the apartments are bad, but their little "we'll give 2 buildings one address, 5 buildings another address, 1 building a different address, and oh hey this building over here gets an address that doesn't make any sense" poo poo gets old in a hurry.

Not really creepy (okay maybe a little :v: ), just really surprising that someone nailed the intersection based on a bad photo of a shopping strip parking lot.

I doubt I'll see the RR today, with the slushy roads and all. I'll try and grab a photo next time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, I'm doubting the accuracy of that (I loving hope I'm right).

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
OK, what am I not getting out of that image?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's supposedly the rear end-end of the new Corvette. We'll know for sure next month.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I was getting ready to laugh at this post and then go to another thread until I realized the car still has a plate and was not inside the junkyard.

I don't even know what a cop would put on the ticket for having seen something like that here.

"$500 fine for impersonating a Ranchero/El Camino"

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's supposedly the rear end-end of the new Corvette. We'll know for sure next month.

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Too much of this stuff floating around where I live.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it...is it broken?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Looks pretty similar to the speculative renderings that showed up online last month.

I like the front 3/4 view, but I see a bit of Ferrari and GT-R in it, and a lot of the latest Viper. Maybe too much.

I hate the rear end though. That bumper is way too big and there's way too much Camaro in the taillights.

I did a quick photoshop to black out the bottom half of the rear bumper that I think helps, but in no way fixes it.

I'm hoping it's one of those cars that looks better in person.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 27, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'll post this here but it can go in a few other threads too...

Chevrolet has a pretty interesting "1-13-13" video campaign about it on YouTube with sneak shots.

Conception

Calibration

Craft

They're putting a LOT of effort and hype into this, and I just really really hope it delivers, aside from the horrible looks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Once again, a new Vette design where I see a front or 3/4 view and think "yeah....that's not bad. Maybe even pretty nice." and they go and gently caress up the back end AGAIN. It's like the designers go front to back on the car and are tired/bored/distracted by the time they get to the rear and just say "gently caress it, good enough".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I pretty much had the same reaction. "Looking good... looking good... what the gently caress!" That rear end is straight out of a 12 year old's sketchbook. I hope that 'speculative' rendering is pretty heavy on the speculation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

That rear end is straight out of a 12 year old's sketchbook. I hope that 'speculative' rendering is pretty heavy on the speculation.

Look at it above the deck. Block those horrible tail lights out and just look over it: the back of the cabin is dead sexy. If the angles were dropped a bit it would be very 911 with the "hips" is has going on.

But then they went to the GM-design-parts-bin and used uglier than normal new-Camaro-design-language tail lights on it and totally didn't give a gently caress about anything else below that other than making sure it has 4 chrome poo shoots and that horrible Corvette logo prominently displayed on yet another flat panel on the back of yet another ruined Corvette.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
Does it look like a Ferrari 599 GTO to anyone else?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SierraEchoBravo posted:

Not the 599, the F12

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Motronic posted:

Once again, a new Vette design where I see a front or 3/4 view and think "yeah....that's not bad. Maybe even pretty nice." and they go and gently caress up the back end AGAIN. It's like the designers go front to back on the car and are tired/bored/distracted by the time they get to the rear and just say "gently caress it, good enough".

Chevrolet's been doing that a lot over the last several years. The Vette, the Cruze, the Malibu (both the new one and the last one), and the Cobalts with the quad round taillamps. All of them have bad rear end designs that mar otherwise decently-styled vehicles.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Oh come off it. That rear end looks amazing, what are you people seeing? If it looks anything like those renderings I'll move to the loving states and buy one. It looks like a proper car, not a wedge of plastic.

The whole point of super cars is to look outrageous and go fast, it looks like the Corvette will deliver.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

JaysonAych posted:

Chevrolet's been doing that a lot over the last several years. The Vette, the Cruze, the Malibu (both the new one and the last one), and the Cobalts with the quad round taillamps.

The entire Cruze just screams generic four door sedan - I don't know why you'd single out the rear end which is just as bland as the rest of the car.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Measly Twerp posted:

Oh come off it. That rear end looks amazing, what are you people seeing? If it looks anything like those renderings I'll move to the loving states and buy one. It looks like a proper car, not a wedge of plastic.

The whole point of super cars is to look outrageous and go fast, it looks like the Corvette will deliver.

It's not a "proper" car (for me anyways) until Chevrolet gets off their stuck-in-the-past attitude about keeping the engine in the front. Make it rear-engine, shorten the front by a good bit and now we're talking.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Measly Twerp posted:

I'm not going to lie...if it wasn't for those taillamps I might actually like it. If they were some kind of oval/circle and there was just a little effort to make it work (ie, get rid of some of the sharp corners stamped into the rear cover), I think it would go a long way. Aside from that rear end, I think the rendering looks awesome.

That design looks fine on the Camaro...I just wish Chevy would stop trying to force it on everything else.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

dissss posted:

The entire Cruze just screams generic four door sedan - I don't know why you'd single out the rear end which is just as bland as the rest of the car.

Generic it may be, but the front 4/5ths of the car at least has some cohesiveness to it. Sharp, clean, angular creases and linework on the front, hood, and sides. Then you get to the back with its blobby melty taillamp clusters with round lights forced into them, a huge gaudy chunk of chrome on the trunk lid, and a swoopy rounded bumper. It looks like the back of an entirely different car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Devyl posted:

It's not a "proper" car (for me anyways) until Chevrolet gets off their stuck-in-the-past attitude about keeping the engine in the front. Make it rear-engine, shorten the front by a good bit and now we're talking.
I think you mean mid-engined?

But yeah, they should really build something more like a productionised Factory Five GTM. I also think the healthy approach would be to give the Camaro designers free reign to make the car as ball-out fast as they can in the top-performance version, and then tell the Corvette design team that they can do whatever they want as long as the end result is better in every way. They should have the Camaro as the tried-and-tested front-engine-RWD car, and push the Corvette further into supercar territory.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Devyl posted:

It wouldn't be a penis extension for rednecks anymore if they did that.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

hay guyth I got bratheth

And a new butt.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Climax, eh? Seems like someone had some drunk sex

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010
It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look like an old S2000 with lots of extra trim pieces thrown on.

Get rid of 25% of the styling details and then well talk.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SierraEchoBravo posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't look like an old S2000 with lots of extra trim pieces thrown on.

Get rid of 25% of the styling details and then well talk.

You missed the somewhat blurry S2000 decal in both photos? :v:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I was going to say, looks like they put the California through a cheap scanner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

But yeah, they should really build something more like a productionised Factory Five GTM. I also think the healthy approach would be to give the Camaro designers free reign to make the car as ball-out fast as they can in the top-performance version, and then tell the Corvette design team that they can do whatever they want as long as the end result is better in every way. They should have the Camaro as the tried-and-tested front-engine-RWD car, and push the Corvette further into supercar territory.

Except that the ZL1 Camaro pretty much already is using nearly every technology GM has in their playbook. I think the only things the ZR1 has that it doesn't are carbon brakes, carbon fiber bodywork, and the LS9 instead of the LSA. I'd argue that they could really just make the carbon brakes a $10k add-on if they really wanted to or if they thought anyone would actually buy them, carbon fiber wouldn't save enough weight to be worth it on a car that is still pretty goddamn heavy (you'd save more by having a factory rear seat delete), and the power difference between the LS9 and LSA is probably made up pretty quick with an exhaust and a tune. The only way to make the Camaro considerably faster (short of developing a powertrain for it that's more powerful than anything in the C6/C7) is going to be reducing the size and weight of the base platform, which GM is already supposedly doing.

In spite of the 'flaws' in the C6's platform having the engine in front of the driver rather than behind (it is already behind the centerline of the front wheels) it still has a very neutral weight balance, and the ZR1 is still fast enough to play with supercars costing many times its price. It also sells reasonably well, in no small part thanks to that 'tradition' where it can be traced back as a continuous production run all the way to 1953.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Next we're going to hear people saying that porsche should make the 911 mid engined instead of rear engined.

If Chevy wanted to go all out on a supercar it would have to be a seperate car with a different name from the corvette.

They aren't going to do that of course, but their also not making the vette mid engined.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kill me now posted:

Next we're going to hear people saying that porsche should make the 911 mid engined instead of rear engined.

After 50 years, they could do something other than making a whole ton of cars that fail to be as worthwhile.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kill me now posted:

Haven't some people been calling for this for quite a while now?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

kill me now posted:

They should, or at the very least quit hamstringing the Cayman.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fknlo posted:

Haven't some people been calling for this for quite a while now?

Look at how much they improved in the 991. As long as GM can do the same with the C7 (say, comparable lap times to the C6Z and easier handling), then they can hew to tradition all they want. Ferrari has done wonders with the midengine package, but it's far from the only way to make a car that handles well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think this definitely belongs in the terrible thread.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=127617464065600

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It's coming up saying it isn't available or whatever, at least on Android.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Crap, this guy has money and lovely taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MonkeyNutZ posted:

It's this video:
"VW Touareg V10 TDI Vs. Chevy Duramax Bumper pull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62gW3Se5e0

That video is particularly hilarious, has V10 TDI engine is rather powerful for its size, its got nearly the same torque as as 2010 Dodge Ram Cummins.

Too bad the V10 bit the dust due to emissions.