Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DarkCrawler posted:

Anyway, it works better when you take it as Spider-Man joking. :colbert:
It's funny either way. Either Peter's pretending to be a supervillain for laughs, or Otto's legitimately trying to be the good guy here but just doesn't quite get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

It's funny either way. Either Peter's pretending to be a supervillain for laughs, or Otto's legitimately trying to be the good guy here but just doesn't quite get it.

I've decided that Pete's just suffering some kind of brain damage and/or insanity that causes him to think he's not entirely himself. That seems to make it acceptable to me.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Devi posted:

Sif was getting pissed about being dismissed as a woman or treated differently because of her gender in a few other places. If Heimdall was trying to suggest that she change her life to something more secure, he'd have suggested that she take up smithing or any trade. But he tells her to get married. That's worth a punch in the face.

That helm is cool and all, but it didn't seem to do anything to protect him from what I gather was some sort of roundhouse punch.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Rhyno posted:

You want hosed up? The first time that page was posted in BSS it resulted in at least 10 probations. The conversation was just a wee bit disturbing.

If I remember correctly, that's what led to the "don't discuss comic characters' sex lives" rule.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Joker's take on the Justice League from Emperor Joker. I laughed at Martian Manhunter's.

(Reference: http://youtu.be/8ED4dQvzPqY)

Superman: Emperor Joker #1

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Venom 13.4. The gang needs to team up to defeat the villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DarkCrawler posted:

Anyway, it works better when you take it as Spider-Man joking. :colbert:

I'm sure he'll be joking next issue when he tries to murder Daredevil.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure he'll be joking next issue when he tries to murder Daredevil.

What's a misunderstanding-based superhero throwdown between friends?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

LvK posted:

What's a misunderstanding-based superhero throwdown between friends?

Par for the course

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there any comic book character more hilarious then Spider-Man? Seriously, I can't think of anyone who comes even close.

Daredevil 21

She's just going to have to keep going until she's got a whole list of superheroes that she thinks are mentally unstable and need to be talked down.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Saturday night poker

This would have been funnier. :colbert:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

Is there any comic book character more hilarious then Spider-Man? Seriously, I can't think of anyone who comes even close.

Daredevil 21

This would make perfect sense if this was Doc Ock Spider-Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Baron Bifford posted:

It is

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

:thejoke:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Superior Spider-Man is going to be awesome.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

For DC Comics'9-11 special Stan Lee and Marie Severin produced an allegory for the 9/11 attacks and the subsequent invasion of Afghanistan starring anthropomorphic animals. When the Elephant King's magnificent cathedral is bombed by evil terrorist mice, he travels to their lands and stomps them in their warrens. I found it very ironic that Stan Lee chose to use an elephant, because that's the worst animal to use for hunting mice. You need something smaller and more precise, like a ferret or a terrier. An elephant will just trample everything except the mice. I'm not sure if Stan Lee was making a deliberate but subtle commentary on the American invasion of Afghanistan. The story seemed pretty sincere and uncritical on the surface, but then again an overtly satirical attack would have been in poor taste in a tribute book.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 28, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's no irony in the writing so I doubt it's any kind of satire. The elephant is the symbol of the Republican party and considering Bush Jr. was in office at the time that's likely why they used it.

e: It is funny taking this work into context that elephants have bad eyesight. In the aftermath of 9/11 we sleep with one eye open but it happens to be blind.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 28, 2012

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

SynthOrange posted:

She's just going to have to keep going until she's got a whole list of superheroes that she thinks are mentally unstable and need to be talked down.

Maybe she'll send Punisher after Spidey and then Deadpool after him. :buddy:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Holy poo poo. No, there's no way that's not dripping with critical subtext. Do not handwave it as mere imagination. That loving elephant looks evil as gently caress and the narrative is so bizarre.

I mean, gently caress dude, look at what the loving moral is. What kind of horrible lesson is that? This is crazy.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It evokes WW2. The Japanese admiral who bombed Pearl Harbor remarked that they had awakened a "sleeping giant".

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 28, 2012

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I pretty much just want to see a pissed off elephant find and stamp a bunch of mouse warrens now. Take that, Redwall!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FAT BATMAN posted:

Holy poo poo. No, there's no way that's not dripping with critical subtext. Do not handwave it as mere imagination. That loving elephant looks evil as gently caress and the narrative is so bizarre.

I mean, gently caress dude, look at what the loving moral is. What kind of horrible lesson is that? This is crazy.

The only critical subtext is the really terrible Muslim allegory. When I read Bifford's description (before the rest of the pictures were posted) I could never imagine the mice would be depicted as awfully as wearing the mark of the beast, sticking dynamite up their asses, living in garbage dumps, and executing masked mice with a shot to the back of the head.

There's no irony that indicates it's a satire. The elephant isn't depicted accidentally crushing as many "innocent" mice as "evil" mice. We don't see the good animals persecuting and beating the good mice because they confuse them with the evil mice. We don't see the good animals unnecessarily occupying the evil mice's land, patrolling their warrens long after the threat is eliminated, or subjugating their resources. No, the dirty mice kill the good king's people and he stomps the gently caress out of them before everything returns to normal, just like real life. Right?

If it's a critical piece then it's a really bad one. It's also a really bad story, I can't believe they allowed that in a book.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

al-azad posted:

If it's a critical piece then it's a really bad one. It's also a really bad story, I can't believe they allowed that in a book.

After 9/11, a lot of people just wanted some kind of reassurance that things were going to be All Right again. :shrug:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Double Dragon #4. As Billy and Jimmy Lee take on a giant dragon, a mysterious, mustached man identified as Stan shows up to give them the advice needed to destroy the beast. The two are a bit cautious about how this guy knows so much about their powers.

:aaa: The greatest reveal.

Marvel's Double Dragon is high on the list of comics that were better than they had any right to be. Dwayne McDuffie writing most of it is a good reason as to why.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Holy crap, that is AMAZING.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Are we to assume then that their real names are William and James Lieber?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

al-azad posted:

The only critical subtext is the really terrible Muslim allegory. When I read Bifford's description (before the rest of the pictures were posted) I could never imagine the mice would be depicted as awfully as wearing the mark of the beast, sticking dynamite up their asses, living in garbage dumps, and executing masked mice with a shot to the back of the head.

There's no irony that indicates it's a satire. The elephant isn't depicted accidentally crushing as many "innocent" mice as "evil" mice. We don't see the good animals persecuting and beating the good mice because they confuse them with the evil mice. We don't see the good animals unnecessarily occupying the evil mice's land, patrolling their warrens long after the threat is eliminated, or subjugating their resources. No, the dirty mice kill the good king's people and he stomps the gently caress out of them before everything returns to normal, just like real life. Right?

I think it's telling that Stan chose to use animals and have it drawn like it was a children's story. It's America's childish view of the whole affair and how they thought it would play out.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 29, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I think it's telling that Stan chose to use animals and have it drawn like it was a children's story. It's America's childish view of the whole affair and how they thought it would play out.

You're really intent on molding that story your way, aren't you? You're doing quite well, aside from coming off like a nationalist tosser. This derail is awful and you should stop adding to it, Christ. Now back to funny panels.

I dunno if it's worth putting in a link instead of an image, but I think it's old enough to avoid spoilers. I don't read DC, so I don't know about the context, but the simple fact that, for some reason, Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up means the death of Booster Gold is hilarious to me.

Image from Justice League International Annual #1. Or so I'm told.

edit: Added new image with previous page, I still have no idea what it's all about. :shepface:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 29, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Superman and Wonder woman hooking up is just generally an awful idea. Erasing Booster is just another thing to add to the laundry list of reasons not to do it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's a fine idea. Everyone knows Superman will end up with Lois, so you mind as well play around with the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up until it's time to move on. Character growth and all that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Space Bats of Venus, (1952) by Basil Wolverton

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't worry, the guy on the left is wearing the one thing that will protect astronauts from Brain Bats and all the harsh conditions of space - a 1940s leather football helmet!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

It's a fine idea. Everyone knows Superman will end up with Lois, so you mind as well play around with the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up until it's time to move on. Character growth and all that.

Until the next writer/editor forgets or doesn't care.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

DOG COPS, found in the Strangest Fanart Thread in PYF.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Maybe I've been on the internet too long, but the brainbat looks like it's trying to cop a feel off of Bitner while looking the other guy right in the eye.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

LtStorm posted:

DOG COPS, found in the Strangest Fanart Thread in PYF.

I just noticed: how is that gun firing if the shooter can't reach the trigger?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

graybook posted:

I just noticed: how is that gun firing if the shooter can't reach the trigger?

Questioning the law? 10 years in the kennel!

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
That DOG COPS is drawn by the great Sloane Leong, who is currently colouring a pretty good comic called Change from Image right now.

Suicide Squad 12:

Captain Boomerang is strangely likable for a mass murdering sociopath v:shobon:v

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Adam Strange posted:

That DOG COPS is drawn by the great Sloane Leong, who is currently colouring a pretty good comic called Change from Image right now.

Suicide Squad 12:

Captain Boomerang is strangely likable for a mass murdering sociopath v:shobon:v

:stare: OK, so does the pink butterfly Manta Ray(?) character have the ability to force a sex change on people, or is that a dude in a dress? Because if it wasn't a man before being picked up, it sure is afterward. It looks like it was traced out of some Tarzan comic.

al-azad posted:

Questioning the law? 10 years in the kennel!

Aw, man. That's like, a year and a half in Human years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's a lady with hosed up anatomy.

• Locked thread