Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Twiddy posted:

Okay, I have to get this off my chest.

Bull-loving-poo poo she's a gymnast. She seems too tall and her breasts are too large.

Yeah, I was going to say, the only way she makes sense as a gymnast is if those ridiculous breasts actually ARE inflatable and detachable. I hadn't even noticed the height until you mentioned it. Svetlana Boginskaya is considered tall for a gymnast and she's 5'2"! (or so says wikipedia)

Maybe it's supposed to play up that her skills are so amazing she can overcome all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ok, this gymnast thing has to be a deliberate troll of people who complained that Asahina's cleavage wasn't aquadynamic.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Interesting. The statue looks like it's from Greek myth -- it's the hero Bellerophon riding Pegasus to defeat the Chimera, a hideous amalgamation of lion, serpent, and goat. Bellerophon is also famous for letting his victory over the Chimera get to his head, and he falls from grace due to his hubris.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Interesting. The statue looks like it's from Greek myth -- it's the hero Bellerophon riding Pegasus to defeat the Chimera, a hideous amalgamation of lion, serpent, and goat. Bellerophon is also famous for letting his victory over the Chimera get to his head, and he falls from grace due to his hubris.

It did remind me of that, but the horse doesn't have wings, there's an eagle on the guy's shoulders, the cat is a tiger, and there's no goat. That could still be what it's supposed to represent, but those are a lot of changes.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Togami because Togami must always live.

Ever since Friday the 13th, Part 2, there's been a trend where the survivor(s) of a slasher film will be the first to die in the sequel. So I think that Togami will either survive to the end, as you suggest, or he'll be dead before the end of the chapter.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Regy Rusty posted:

It did remind me of that, but the horse doesn't have wings, there's an eagle on the guy's shoulders, the cat is a tiger, and there's no goat. That could still be what it's supposed to represent, but those are a lot of changes.

On closer inspection, the wings aren't coming from the horse, and the cat is indeed a tiger. You're right, that makes the statue a lot more ambiguous.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The place is called Jabberwock Park. Perhaps it's some sort of Alice in Wonderland reference? I'm not familiar with the book's creatures to be able to discern anything of note.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A quote from an entirely different LP pretty much sums up my thoughts about everything so far:

Also me and my cousin really loved squashing ants when we were children, kids can be pretty cruel. But I suppose it gets a bit weird by the time you're a high school student.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

The place is called Jabberwock Park. Perhaps it's some sort of Alice in Wonderland reference? I'm not familiar with the book's creatures to be able to discern anything of note.

The jabberwock was a monster in a nonsense poem from Alice in Wonderland. The poem is supposed to be the best of its kind, so its name can reasonably adorn any park.

Stone Salt fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 29, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stone Salt posted:

The jabberwock was a monster in a nonsense poem from the Alice in Wonderland book. It's supposed to be the best of its kind.

It's actually from Through the Looking Glass. The statue doesn't seem to be any particular reference to the poem or the book however.

LancerKarna
Oct 29, 2012
Akane's "ignore basics, try to make new stuff and only some of it is good" is something I have... it's actually troublesome.
So we've met all the cast now... something tells me something is going to go wrong in probably and update or two.
Unless they're really gonna do the whole it's actually peaceful or its peaceful until suddenly monobear.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'll bet bottom dollar someone is going to be impaled on the top of that statue.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

LancerKarna posted:

Akane's "ignore basics, try to make new stuff and only some of it is good" is something I have... it's actually troublesome.
So we've met all the cast now... something tells me something is going to go wrong in probably and update or two.
Unless they're really gonna do the whole it's actually peaceful or its peaceful until suddenly monobear.

orenronen said that no action is going to happen until after chapter 1 because you're expecting something to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stone Salt posted:

orenronen said that no action is going to happen until after chapter 1 because you're expecting something to happen, so don't get your hopes up.

When did he say this?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

RentCavalier posted:

When did he say this?

Never.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

A farm without a cow is like a Japan representative who isn't Japanese

This with the ant murdering tendencies makes me a little suspicious about our classical dancer.

Also just as a little crackpot theory I think Nagito is Naegi. I think he's been on the island a lot longer than everyone else. That's why he's so calm about everything, and his hair's been bleached by the sun. idk why he's a foot and a half taller though

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

We're not even in Chapter 1 yet anyway (I think?); this is just the Introduction or Prologue or whatever.

So it's time for half the cast to die before the game even begins proper. :getin:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Regy Rusty posted:

All the other characters have the names of the show they're from on them.

It'd be cool if the anime had a totally different cast than either game :allears: Or maybe I'm just SHSL wishful that the botanist would have his day.

Anyway, I can't say I'm really gelling with the dancer or gymnast for now. The dancer seems to be just another cute psycho archetype, while the gymnast is your regular ol' tomboy. Not that I actively dislike either, it's just that I prefer the hammy animal trainer or our slacker shark mechanic to them. Fatogami's still awesome though.

Anyway, what really got me was Usami's little 'magic trick'; it really raises doubts as to how 'realistic' this game is, and whether the kids really are in the Matrix or something. Otherwise, we might have a SHSL-nanoroboticist running around as the mastermind :psyduck:

RoeCocoa posted:

Ever since Friday the 13th, Part 2, there's been a trend where the survivor(s) of a slasher film will be the first to die in the sequel. So I think that Togami will either survive to the end, as you suggest, or he'll be dead before the end of the chapter.

Honestly, I think he'll be the first to bite it; it's a little meta, but as a way to get the maximum shock out of the player, I can't see anything better.

VVVVVVVVVV Man, now I want to see Akane dressed as Touhou's Reimu Hakurei.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So I guess this will be one of the gifts you give Akane:

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

RentCavalier posted:

When did he say this?

He said something like that in the podcast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stone Salt posted:

He said something like that in the podcast.

He also said "never" just now.

Stone Salt
Dec 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He also said "never" just now.

He probably got hung up on some of my random assumptions. I don't know if it was chapter, act, part, but he said that because people are expecting it, nobody's going to die for a while.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Let's Read Into and Over Analyze Absolutely Everything the OP Says with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I don't know if they have dubbed South Park in Japan but if they do they should have gotten whoever does the Cartman voice to do Togami, because that's all I hear when I look at him. I'm honestly a little disappointed that he sounds the exact same as the previous game.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stone Salt posted:

He probably got hung up on some of my random assumptions. I don't know if it was chapter, act, part, but he said that because people are expecting it, nobody's going to die for a while.

He didn't say anything like that. If we're thinking of the same thing, I am pretty sure he and slowbeef were joking around.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Nice job at timing, Fedule.
Why is it always the tiny characters who are creepy? First the chef, now Saionji. Also, I think I have proof it's a prequel - Togami's throne in the official art is pretty big. Thin Togami has too much buttspace in it for it to be comfortable, but it fits Fatogami perfectly. So the throne must have been produced while he was fat.

Wrist Watch posted:

130kg comes out to around 296 pounds, right? That seems a little light for a body that loving fat.
Fat is less dense than muscle!

BluePard
Jan 24, 2009
If this is VR then fat Togami could be a VR character based on Togami rather than a real person. Not too hard to program something to say "Feh. Don't talk to me." Though why someone would make their fake Togami fat, I don't know. Intense dislike maybe.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The best part about Fatogami is that he manages to make "thin people" sound like an insult. :allears:

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

kvltmanifesto posted:

quote:

A farm without a cow is like a Japan representative who isn't Japanese
This with the ant murdering tendencies makes me a little suspicious about our classical dancer.

Makes more sense to me that Usami's referring to Sonia there, especially since we just talked to her. An exchange student usually makes sense, but Hope's Peak Academy is supposed to be all about raising the nation's hope. It would be kind of odd for a foreigner to aspire to be one of Japan's great leaders. Maybe Sonia is cleverer than she looks.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I guess the "large breasted athlete" joke continues on. But I think they kind of over did it here. Unless she's super strong so she doesn't get back pain from those things.

And wow. This is the real Togami? How? There has to be an explanation. I look forward to seeing it.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Why is everyone over thinking the chicken-to-cow trick? Both Monobear and Usami can disappear and reappear anywhere almost instantly, what's to say the same thing didn't happen here? We don't need the Matrix for a simple magic trick.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

There's an obvious resemblance to Asahina there, both in appearance and personality(since she's got a similar habit of forgetting people's names). If this is a distant sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if she was one of Asahina's descendants (along with the Togami of this game being a descendant of the original).

Then again, the fat Togami seems to have the same birthday and same height as the original(while obviously being heavier). I guess if there were any differences it would be a major tipoff that something wasn't right. Of course, if this is really the same Togami, it only raises further questions, such as the reason why he's here with these new students, and the reason for his current... obesity.

You know, something else seems a bit familiar about Akane... It reminds me of some of the early concept art of Sakura that was posted in the first game's thread.

The outfit does seem very similar to our SHSL Gymnast, doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if her design was based off the same concept art, only made more feminine.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

DaveWoo posted:

So Nagito knows exactly who Togami is, and is treating him as though he's just another member of the class? That's... interesting.

That's more than interesting, that's contradictory. Think back about what Nagito said earlier - he looked up his classmates on the web. He also said that there was only one High School Level Luck dude per year. Everyone in the thread more or less agreed that this meant they were either seniors or juniors to DR1's class. What I'm getting at is, Nagito can't have been on the same year as Togami, but he says that they were on the same year as evidenced by saying that he looked up info on his classmates on the internet. Those two statements don't really match up well, so we definitely need an explanation for that.

I mean maybe you can solve that contradiction by saying that Togami was held back a year for some reason, but that's probably the kind of thing either Nagito or Naegi would have mentioned(in case of prequel stuff).

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Omniphile posted:

The best part about Fatogami is that he manages to make "thin people" sound like an insult. :allears:
And I can see where he's coming from: after all, fat was a status symbol back in the day.

Sherringford posted:

That's more than interesting, that's contradictory. Think back about what Nagito said earlier - he looked up his classmates on the web. He also said that there was only one High School Level Luck dude per year. Everyone in the thread more or less agreed that this meant they were either seniors or juniors to DR1's class. What I'm getting at is, Nagito can't have been on the same year as Togami, but he says that they were on the same year as evidenced by saying that he looked up info on his classmates on the internet. Those two statements don't really match up well, so we definitely need an explanation for that.

I mean maybe you can solve that contradiction by saying that Togami was held back a year for some reason, but that's probably the kind of thing either Nagito or Naegi would have mentioned(in case of prequel stuff).
Could it be that they just got acquainted at the beach while Hajime was out cold?

CaseyChu
Dec 29, 2012

gegi posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, the only way she makes sense as a gymnast is if those ridiculous breasts actually ARE inflatable and detachable. I hadn't even noticed the height until you mentioned it. Svetlana Boginskaya is considered tall for a gymnast and she's 5'2"! (or so says wikipedia)

Maybe it's supposed to play up that her skills are so amazing she can overcome all that?

I said the same thing until I read that her basic skills are terrible and she makes up her own moves. She'd have to with a completely different body from everyone else. Hell, I'd love to see a what a gymnast of her build would come up with in real life.

Revolver Lolcat
Aug 9, 2012
Either Hiyoko's a kiddie-grade psychopath, or she really really REALLY likes popping things.

Then again, who doesn't like bubble wrap?

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

SingerOfW posted:

Could it be that they just got acquainted at the beach while Hajime was out cold?

Hm, that's possible, but Togami doesn't seem particularly talkative. Plus Nagito seems to know an awful lot about him having earned money on his own and all - that's generally the kind of thing that doesn't come up in a conversation when you are talking to someone who seems keen on shutting you up.

"Go away. By the way I've earned a fortune on my own outside of inheriting my family's already ridiculous fortune."

Then again, if Nagito is Naegi, we can throw a lot of what he's saying right out of the window. It would explain why he knows who Togami is, and the earlier theory someone made about Naegi and Togami infiltrating games to presumably go Battle Royale 2 on everybody would explain why Nagito is trying to make it look like Togami is their classmate. Not that I'm saying we should just latch on to that theory(specially since I don't think our current evidence points to Nagito being Naegi) but it's something to keep in mind.

What I'm getting at is, the information Nagito is giving us seems pretty weird. We can probably form a decent theory on Togami once we have a better idea on what Nagito's game is.

RandomYoshi
Dec 28, 2012

^^^^Best GIF in the whole universe.

The communicative abilities and your comprehension of this user may or may not vary from day to day.

orenronen posted:

Welcome DANGAN IsLand!!

Wooo-eee-ooo...
Woo-woo-wee-wee-woo-wooooo...!

Chicken! Now! Become a cow!!

Usami: Super High-school Level Magician.

That being said, with the newly-acquired information regarding Togami and how he may actually be the Togami in the last game, I'm going to look through the last thread for any hints towards him liking coffee in that game. While I'm not sure what this information may bring, that will be a question for later when we've seen more of this particular Togami. In case it isn't apparent: yes, I'm going to treat the Togami in this game as a separate Togami from the first game until we can be fully certain whether this Togami is the first Togami or not.

As for our Saionji, her likehood for bubble wrap perfectly matches my likehood for the same thing. And she's being somewhat creepy with how she likes squishing those Now watch as she is executed while being capsuled within a giant sheet of bubble wrap with gigantic bubbles and her bubble is popped last.

Like many others have already said, Akane's body proportions don't fit her title at all. But then again, she is a SHSL Gymnast, so maybe she's learnt how to compensate for that by being extra amazing while she's preforming. Also her looks would probably win over some judges over.

orenronen posted:

More bridges.

There's a bridge over there, but it's blocked by a gate...
I'm going to make a wild guess here and guess that this gate is going to be unlocked when the first trial has passed, and that there are going to be other gates near this one that are going to open when other trials have passed.

And I'm really hyped to see what's going to happen at the beach.

Also I'm still not 100% convinced that these characters we're seeing in this game are either seniors or juniors to DR1's class. For all we know, the developers could have just thrown in Togami into the game just so that conclusion could be drawn, and then just throw something totally insane at us later in the game. Also, as a matter of fact, the fact that there's only one Super High-school Level Good Luck guy per year doesn't quite win me over: Naegi's title did change from Super High-school Level Good Luck (Bad Luck?) to Super High-school Level Hope at the end, so maybe he wasn't even a SHSL Good Luck to begin with? That's certainly a possibility.

RandomYoshi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 29, 2012

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

orenronen posted:

Byakuya Togami: Super High-school Level Heir

Well, now that Fat Togami's introductions' done, has any of you noticed that in the last thread, orenronen posted this:

orenronen posted:

Here is possibly the most elaborate DR fan creation ever (Nico via polsy).

For those who don't recognize it, it's a reworking of the Nichijou (which is an anime series) opening. You can see the original here.

For those of you who are not familiar with Nico video, for the sake of your sanity please push the "hide comments" button on the lower right side of the video before playing.

And at the end of that video, Fat Togami appears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Axle_Stukov posted:

And this is pretty much the same pose Sakura used in her official art, except she now seems to be eating something too.

She's eating a rice ball JELLY DONUT.

• Locked thread