Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Rallying a bit more would be nice, especially if they are slightly experinced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I remember guys rallying all the time in the first Medieval. The first charge would get put to flight and most of the guys left would rally in front of the battlefield border. You'd have time to re-deploy and the enemy would be all spread out. I also don't believe cavalry should have a free time hacking down fleeing troops, just look at the casualties British cav took chasing down routing French after Waterloo.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

This is probably true; Radious intentionally changed stats so that melees last much longer than they do in vanilla. It's a general trend amongst modders for TW games, actually. Battles can become a grind, but it does make combat more of a spectacle.

Just checked it out and yup, that's what happened. I guess with melee defence 2 I dunno what real use they have beyond usual matchlock duties. Which is a shame because their shooting skills put Japanese matchlock troops to shame. Still, with Radious it's possibly to have a European-style gunline army :black101: Also, you can mass-produce The Black Ship, because gently caress anyone else being allowed onto the sea.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm still waiting for veterancy to develop so that units can gain perks according to battlefield conditions.

I don't want my 5th Legion to be elite because I upgraded my barracks back in Rome and pumped out a guards unit. I want them to be elite because they were first up the walls at Carthage and now get a bonus when they're fighting on walls.

Tech should just improve technology - if you want units that fight harder then you should have to get them out fighting.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The extra veterancy you get for the better military building is supposed to simulate better training so I think it's working fine. However, a perk system per unit would be pretty cool.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Did anyone use the renaming system from Empire? I think I did it once or twice for some units that did a few amazing things. Units with personality would be amazing though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zettace posted:

The extra veterancy you get for the better military building is supposed to simulate better training so I think it's working fine. However, a perk system per unit would be pretty cool.

I meant more in terms of better troop types: guards etc.

I'm really hoping that units being more customisable means more of a delineation between the advantages of technology and experience.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rabhadh posted:

Did anyone use the renaming system from Empire? I think I did it once or twice for some units that did a few amazing things. Units with personality would be amazing though.

I renamed every single unit after historical regiments as much as I was able, because linear warfare turns me completely autistic about such things and I got genuine pleasure out of ordering the 7th Royal Fusiliers to perform a bayonet charge rather than a generic unit of line infantry.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mass routing in NTW and ETW, especially with bayonet charges was pretty realistic when morale collapsed.

I just loving hate the fact with both games you have to be a genocidal monster and slaughter an army to the last man.

The Rights of Man somewhat addresses this by making units more likely to rout but also more likely to return to the fight afterwards.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Is there any problems with installing the Radious mods through Steam Workshop? I've never used it before so I'd just like to know if theres anything to look out for.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Alchenar posted:

I'm still waiting for veterancy to develop so that units can gain perks according to battlefield conditions.

I don't want my 5th Legion to be elite because I upgraded my barracks back in Rome and pumped out a guards unit. I want them to be elite because they were first up the walls at Carthage and now get a bonus when they're fighting on walls.

Tech should just improve technology - if you want units that fight harder then you should have to get them out fighting.

Yeah I had never had a problem with this until just recently when I was replaying barbarian invasion. I had been playing as the Vandals and had this awesome cavalry column which had been with my leader all the way from the steppes across europe to Cordoba so they had a crapload of experience.

And then I took Rome and was suddenly able to upgrade any random unit to be better than them and it wasn't fun anymore.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rallying a bit more would be nice, especially if they are slightly experinced.

They seem to rally more if you place a rally point with your general, at least in my experience. As long as there isn't an enemy on their heels, they seem to pull themselves together and head for the rally point fairly often.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Koramei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IO-CooA4_Y

You can also just starve the defenders out and force a battle.

It's also really only costly if you lose the fight anyway. Since you'll have to eventually slaughter those troops to their disband point. poo poo, in Shogun 2 I'd take advantage of bad siege AI to blow all my arrows whittling down the defenders, withdraw with next to no losses, and then come back again on my next turn since you never retreat too far to re-siege and it was a quicker alternative to starving out if you couldn't afford to storm the walls. Losing one or more battles in a phyrric victory for the enemy to win the battle that actually matters.

Actually doesn't work as well in other incarnations of the game, especially Medieval 2 where you're in constant danger of the pope showing up to poo poo all over your long-term strategies.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 29, 2012

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

The Radious mods are pretty good. They add a crapload of new units and balance out a lot of things. You'll need to activate only the mod for whichever campaign you're going to use (i.e. if playing Fall of the Samurai, only activate the FOTS mod) but the mod manager makes it easy.

What mod manager are you referring to?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

What mod manager are you referring to?

The one that comes with the game since it went moddable. If you have mod files in your data folder it shows up.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The one that comes with the game since it went moddable. If you have mod files in your data folder it shows up.

There's one that comes up when you use the Steam Workshop but that doesn't seem with packs you just plop in the data file.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I had never had a problem with this until just recently when I was replaying barbarian invasion. I had been playing as the Vandals and had this awesome cavalry column which had been with my leader all the way from the steppes across europe to Cordoba so they had a crapload of experience.

And then I took Rome and was suddenly able to upgrade any random unit to be better than them and it wasn't fun anymore.

It's less pronounced in the recent games because 'everyone is line infantry' but yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

There's one that comes up when you use the Steam Workshop but that doesn't seem with packs you just plop in the data file.

Only seems to do that with some mods not updated since the game went moddable. Some files don't show and yet work.

It is an odd beast. I hope the guys working the kit out are making break throughs, is there a Amateur Developer Wiki for the game to check?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Ok, so I finally got around to playing Shogun 2 after having bought it on sale earlier this or last year. I played a bunch of Empire (okay, maybe not that much, like 30 hours but not Napoleon) and I swear they were on the same engine but:

-Holy crap the UI is tiny. Yeah, yeah PC gaming and all that and maybe I've been playing too many ports but a lot of the tooltip font is tiny, especially the battle UI stuff.
-the campaign map doesn't do the battle map much justice. I see flat plains, but then when I get into the fight, there are random tall hills and rocky outcroppings everywhere. Not sure why this is a complaint.
-fog conditions are dumb, but that was my fault for trying to engage in fog.
-the unit selection highlight feels very weak. Maybe it's because it's yellow or something?
-speaking of unit selection, the units feel very ... small. Not the scale as I have it on large, but it feels really hard to click on them in the chaos short of pausing and searching through the unit cards.
-did they seriously remove the battle events? like the only way I found out I lost a general/killed theirs was an audio bark and there was nothing scrolling down the right side of my screen to tell me something important.
-so the siege tutorial sucked, so I'm guessing I don't need siege weaponry to assault a castle? My infantry can just scale the walls, right?

edit: all in vanilla

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You're most likely going to want siege weapons to assault castles as they're bloody as all hell when assaulting them. A lot of people just autoresolve siege assaults since it doesn't take the fortification into account and you lose significantly less people.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Bolow posted:

You're most likely going to want siege weapons to assault castles as they're bloody as all hell when assaulting them. A lot of people just autoresolve siege assaults since it doesn't take the fortification into account and you lose significantly less people.
Seriously? Jeez, that seems like a huge oversight. Did previous Total War games take fortifications into account when autoresolving?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

brozozo posted:

Seriously? Jeez, that seems like a huge oversight. Did previous Total War games take fortifications into account when autoresolving?

It's not entirely true. It does take fortifications into account, but nowhere near as much as is really the case. All the auto-resolves have had a similar issue, so I assume CA have a perfectly valid reason for doing so.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any mods that make the Empire diplomacy AI not retarded?

I don't know why they even bothered to put in tech trading since the AI holds on to the secret of Social Contract like its the drat Manhatten Project. Or peace treaties. Spain declared war on me for no real reason, and after taking Portugal, Gibralter, a pile of colonies, destroying their entire fleet (they sure love Galleons), and blockading their last European port so their trade income is zero, they refuse peace still. Hell, they counter offer with wanting ME to give them a bunch of territory and tech. How in the hell can they think they're winning?

Seriously, I always loved Empire. I've put more hours into it than any other Total War. But fixing the Campaign AI would make it so much more enjoyable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That and making Europe bigger than some grotty cheap rear end flat too.

But sadly, unless somebody figuires how to mod the previous games with the Shogun 2 kit Empires AI is always going to remain dumb and pathologically needlessly war happy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just got Shogun 2, my first of the Total War games. Haven't even tried it out yet due to powers supply issues.

With the sales wrapping up soon, is there any DLC that is especially good that I should try to pick up?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snowy posted:

I just got Shogun 2, my first of the Total War games. Haven't even tried it out yet due to powers supply issues.

With the sales wrapping up soon, is there any DLC that is especially good that I should try to pick up?

Fall of the Samurai is a good expansion and adds a whole new campaign. It should be noted however that it is the opinion of many that FOTS gameplay is significantly less balanced than vanilla, mostly thanks to cannon-related absurdities. It also manages to make naval battles even worse, somehow.

Other than that you can answer the following two questions to determine if you want the rest of the DLC.

A) Do I care about multiplayer?

If you care about multi player then the Sengoku Jidai, Saints and Heroes, and Rise of the Samurai packs all add units that are available in multiplayer. Some of which are pretty effective. Most aren't overpowered or anything, but having them will definitely increase your options. These are probably unnecessary if you're primary interest is single player, as most of the units are gimmicky, can throw off campaign balance, or just flat out don't appear much in the campaign.

B) Do I care much about additions to the campaign

If you primarily play Total War games for the single player campaigns then you may want the clan packs (Otomo Clan, Hattori Clan, etc). They each add a fairly unique new clan to the single player campaign, However none of them add anything to the multi player with the exception of a few retainers included in the Ikko-Ikki clan pack, so if you're primary interest in the game is for multi player you can probably skip these over. Other than that you can get the Blood Pack if you want cartoonish blood effects that look like there were made by an amateur modder who got lost from the Nexus.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 1, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Chomp8645 posted:

If you primarily play Total War games for the single player campaigns then you may want the clan packs (Otomo Clan, Hattori Clan, etc). They each add a fairly unique new clan to the single player campaign, However none of them add anything to the multi player with the exception of a few retainers included in the Ikko-Ikki clan pack, so if you're primary interest in the game is for multi player you can probably skip these over. Other than that get the Dragon Battle Pack if you want more historical missions (and have Fall of the Samurai), and get the Blood Pack if you want cartoonish blood effects that look like there were made by an amateur modder who got lost from the Nexus.

Snowy posted:

Be pretty wary about which clan pack DLCs you get, they're not all particularly unique. For the vanilla campaign, Otomo and Ikko Ikki are great and significant diversions from the rest of the clans, both starting out as different religions; Otomo are Christian, with a lot more developed European elements; Ikko Ikki are a different sect of Buddhism from the rest of the clans, and they get a lot of unique monk units. If you plan on playing the vanilla campaign a lot those are both well worth getting. Hattori are very ninja-centric and so will play a bit differently from the other clans, but I don't think they have anything unique about them other than the usual clan-specific stat modifiers you get everywhere else.

For FoTS, none of the clan packs have different unit rosters or anything, so only really get them if one of the faction bonuses particularly sticks out to you or you like the look of their starting location (Saga seems to be a favourite among my friends; they start in Nagasaki and are the only non-Satsuma Kyushu clan, with already-ready European trade links- so they're pretty easy if you're looking to experiment in FoTS). Here is a good map to see the differences between FoTS factions.

In summation for faction packs, if you enjoy the Shogun 2 campaigns a lot you should probably get the Otomo and Ikko Ikki factions, the rest are only worth it if you get really into the game.

I would actually say the Sengoku Jidai pack is far more entertaining in singleplayer since you get to abuse the units to all hell. You're most likely going to be marching around with a mass of a few of your favourite units in the end game anyway, might as well have a few more choices. Saints and Heroes doesn't play much differently but it's fun for a little flavour.

In general my recommendations are FoTS > RoTS > Sengoku Jidai > Otomo > Ikko Ikki > Saints & Heroes > everything else

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
When do you suppose they're going to do a Warhammer 40k Total War? 'cause I was just dreaming about it last night, moving my flamethrower troops up to defend a breach in my fortress walls while grenadiers on the upper level rained hell down...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KlavoHunter posted:

When do you suppose they're going to do a Warhammer 40k Total War?

I suppose they aren't going to do anything at all. Creative Assembly only has the Warhammer Fantasy license. 40K is exclusive (in the world of video games) to THQ/Relic.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Chomp8645 posted:

I suppose they aren't going to do anything at all. Creative Assembly only has the Warhammer Fantasy license. 40K is exclusive (in the world of video games) to THQ/Relic.

What's gonna happen now that THQ is going under though?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Koramei posted:

What's gonna happen now that THQ is going under though?

For now, nothing. CA didn't get the license very long ago. THQ was in obvious trouble then too and if the relevant parties wanted to they could have negotiated for it already. What's more THQ has already found some financial firm (name escapes me) than has agreed to cover their running costs for the time being, and THQ has said that all current projects are still going forward thanks to this arrangement. That means that Relic is still sitting pretty on the 40K license. If they give it up it's probably going to be a while at this point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

If you primarily play Total War games for the single player campaigns then you may want the clan packs (Otomo Clan, Hattori Clan, etc). They each add a fairly unique new clan to the single player campaign, However none of them add anything to the multi player with the exception of a few retainers included in the Ikko-Ikki clan pack, so if you're primary interest in the game is for multi player you can probably skip these over. Other than that get the Dragon Battle Pack if you want more historical missions (and have Fall of the Samurai), and get the Blood Pack if you want cartoonish blood effects that look like there were made by an amateur modder who got lost from the Nexus.

Don't do this. Dragon Battle comes with Fall. The Dragon Battle pack is for people that do not have Fall but want the historical battles in vanilla.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Don't do this. Dragon Battle comes with Fall. The Dragon Battle pack is for people that do not have Fall but want the historical battles in vanilla.

My mistake, don't actually have the pack, was just going off description. I'll edit it out.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am wondering if there is a way to expand the map in Napoleon Total War to include all of Northern Europe?

My goal here is to play as Sweden. I found startpos mods that allow players to play as normally non-playable factions, but there isn't a point in playing Sweden if you can only see a little part of your country.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dead Man Posting posted:

I am wondering if there is a way to expand the map in Napoleon Total War to include all of Northern Europe?

My goal here is to play as Sweden. I found startpos mods that allow players to play as normally non-playable factions, but there isn't a point in playing Sweden if you can only see a little part of your country.

Nope, ETW and NTW are notoriously unmoddable. Potentially something might come up in the future but don't hold your breath.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

In Medieval 2, does the "Rally" ability do anything? The game said it helps broken morale troops but I've never seen it do anything. I feel like I might be doing something wrong...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In Medieval 2, does the "Rally" ability do anything? The game said it helps broken morale troops but I've never seen it do anything. I feel like I might be doing something wrong...

It depends really on morale status. If they are shattered there is no way you are getting them back.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

What is the best R:TW mod anyways?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hey there guys. Total War franchise has a huge discount and I remember playing some bit of Rome Total War and a LOT of Medieval Total War and enjoying it. I dont think I have enough money for Shogun 2 but what other game do you recommend me? I dont care so much for graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Medieval 2.