Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Or get two badges at once, whichever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kilonum posted:

Tupolev Tu-204 just had its first fatal accident in 18 yearsa of service, 4 dead, only the crew was aboard the aircraft at the time. Looks like the pilot overshot the runway.

http://rt.com/news/plane-vnukovo-airport-moscow-073/

I thought they had wrecked one already? Guess it wasn't fatal though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

rcman50166 posted:

I once read that airplanes have windows simply because passengers wouldn't ride them without them. Some sort of psychological thing going on. With a tail camera like that maybe one could get over it. I wouldn't think that sort of thing would bother me too much. But I know, in the back of my mind, that it would bother me. Can anyone confirm this? I read it a very long time ago when Boeing first started the blended wing research for the X-48.

Several military jets don't have windows, and fly for longer than all but trans-Pac flights. It kind of sucks because I like looking out the windows and always try to get a window seat when I have to fly commercial, but otherwise there's no real reason to have them. People with severe motion sickness will get it whether there's a window or not.

Edit: Beaten.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 29, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Just put small camera lenses in the rough location of windows and then put some LCDs on the inside, no one will even know the difference!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

But what about connections and layovers? I frequently spend 24 hours in transit on international flights (I've racked up quite a few miles on quite a few airlines), and lack of charging jacks in aircraft and airports is a huge pet peeve of mine. Even for domestic, you're waiting for 90 minutes before the plane takes off, and another half hour at the luggage return, and it's nice to actually have battery left when you land. Ironically, I have less of an issue on 12-14 hour US-asia flights because I'm asleep virtually the entire flight. Also, those aircraft typically have much better in-flight entertainment.

Emirates does it, they have USB jacks in every seat back, and will even let you stream your own movies to the really big (17" IIRC) LCD monitor. I've run into a handful of other airlines recently that have USB charging jacks, which is really really nice. USB *and* 115V would be the best, though. First/business almost always gave it. Incentives to upgrade, maybe?

Emirates passenger demographics are slightly different than US domestic demographics. (Oil sheikhs and international businessmen versus grandma on a budget flying to visit the kids.)

Their trip distances are mostly a lot longer, too.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Because Emirates is doing more distance flights they're also *slightly* less concerned about weight.

Alaska doesn't fill their toilet tanks full anymore because they've figured out how much people are going to use on each flight and don't want to lift any more water than necessary. Most airlines have software to tell them, to the gallon (liter?), how much fuel they're going to need and train their crews to never put in any extra.

Just look at how much lighter current seats are. They keep shaving more and more out of them.

Also, I read not long ago that Emirates spends $15,000 per seat on their IFE system. Multiply that by 150 seats for a domestic flightand you have two-and-a-quarter million dollars per aircraft that would need to be spent every ten years or so. If given the choice airlines are going to pick winglets for that money.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Advent Horizon posted:

Also, I read not long ago that Emirates spends $15,000 per seat on their IFE system. Multiply that by 150 seats for a domestic flightand you have two-and-a-quarter million dollars per aircraft that would need to be spent every ten years or so. If given the choice airlines are going to pick winglets for that money.

The latest ICE is 15k per "box", from what I understand. Each box can cover an entire segment of three or four seats, and I am pretty sure that they just do underseat wiring to share boxes in premium cabins. Panasonic ex2s ain't cheap, but at the same time- I have to wonder how much of that 15k is actually spent on licensing the content.

A lot of airlines are heading towards wifi streaming IFE. I cannot wait to see how horrifying this is as everyone swarms the popular movie at once and maxes the entire available connection. Oh who am I kidding, wifi IFE means everyone will have to pay for it.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Advent Horizon posted:

Most airlines have software to tell them, to the gallon (liter?), how much fuel they're going to need and train their crews to never put in any extra.

A close friend of mine is a regional pilot, and he says this is a HUGE matter of contention recently. While "officially" pilots are free to take discretionary fuel for poor weather or lots of time in the hold, many pilots are feeling pressure from above if they take fuel in excess of what is required.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Kilonum posted:

Tupolev Tu-204 just had its first fatal accident in 18 yearsa of service, 4 dead, only the crew was aboard the aircraft at the time. Looks like the pilot overshot the runway.

http://rt.com/news/plane-vnukovo-airport-moscow-073/

I am :f5: for the first 20 dashcams of this crash on YouTube.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

Groda posted:

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=16d_1356820592

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Groda posted:

Just saw the dashcam of the accident. It was insane. Not surprised the flight crew died.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
That was quick.

Groda fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 29, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus christ, that car getting smacked by the front landing gear wheel :stare:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrYenko posted:

Emirates passenger demographics are slightly different than US domestic demographics. (Oil sheikhs and international businessmen versus grandma on a budget flying to visit the kids.)

This is the perception, but at the back of the plane Emirates also carries a ton of low-wage labor back and forth from India and Asia over to the Near East and Europe. They lucked out geographically in that DXB is a very well positioned connection point for a lot of economies that are growing right now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

StandardVC10 posted:

This is the perception, but at the back of the plane Emirates also carries a ton of low-wage labor back and forth from India and Asia over to the Near East and Europe. They lucked out geographically in that DXB is a very well positioned connection point for a lot of economies that are growing right now.

More than that, Dubai is within an 8000 nm flight of something like 99% of the world's cities and 95% of the population. If there ever was a city uniquely positioned to host a "world airline", it would be Dubai.

EDIT: I should say that 8000 nm is sort of a magical number in aviation, on account of aircraft performance. Anything longer than that and even the longest-ranged airliners (A340-500 and 777-200LR) start to trade an unacceptable amount of payload for more fuel.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 30, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

grover posted:

But what about connections and layovers? I frequently spend 24 hours in transit on international flights (I've racked up quite a few miles on quite a few airlines), and lack of charging jacks in aircraft and airports is a huge pet peeve of mine. Even for domestic, you're waiting for 90 minutes before the plane takes off, and another half hour at the luggage return, and it's nice to actually have battery left when you land. Ironically, I have less of an issue on 12-14 hour US-asia flights because I'm asleep virtually the entire flight. Also, those aircraft typically have much better in-flight entertainment.

I fly transcons almost exclusively and don't have a problem with battery life, so domestically I think you're covered unless you're doing regular DFW-OGG turns. I cringe at the thought of having to wait at the luggage return every time I fly though. Yikes.

I'd recommend you invest in the Amex platinum card so you can access a variety of clubs and be guaranteed a charging station, free wifi at the airport, and free drinks/snacks. If you travel frequently it's a godsend. Also having access to direct ticketing agents in the club help immensely during irrops.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

MrChips posted:

More than that, Dubai is within an 8000 nm flight of something like 99% of the world's cities and 95% of the population. If there ever was a city uniquely positioned to host a "world airline", it would be Dubai.

EDIT: I should say that 8000 nm is sort of a magical number in aviation, on account of aircraft performance. Anything longer than that and even the longest-ranged airliners (A340-500 and 777-200LR) start to trade an unacceptable amount of payload for more fuel.

EK loves to gloat about how they are within four hours from 66% of the world's population, six hours of 75%, and 90% within 12. Not sure how true the last one is- but I've heard multiple backend folk tell that one to me.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think all of the US is more than a 12 hour flight from Dubai.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

Several military jets don't have windows, and fly for longer than all but trans-Pac flights. It kind of sucks because I like looking out the windows and always try to get a window seat when I have to fly commercial, but otherwise there's no real reason to have them. People with severe motion sickness will get it whether there's a window or not.

Edit: Beaten.

How common is airsickness, anyway? I'm not a jet-setting businessman, but I fly pretty regularly and I only recall a single flight where someone got sick. (And it was a big enough deal, happening right after SARS, that they quarantined the plane on landing for 2 hours. Stupid.) I've never seen anyone carrying one of those little bags or heard anyone throwing up or anything like that.

Seen a lot of people puking off the side of ferries and tour boats, though.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

How common is airsickness, anyway? I'm not a jet-setting businessman, but I fly pretty regularly and I only recall a single flight where someone got sick. (And it was a big enough deal, happening right after SARS, that they quarantined the plane on landing for 2 hours. Stupid.) I've never seen anyone carrying one of those little bags or heard anyone throwing up or anything like that.

Without looking at my flight physiology book I think it's around 1 in 10 adults, higher in kids. Everyone is wired a little different, some people just have a really lovely vestibular system. Even those who are normally fine can be incapacitated if if a head cold blocks your eustachian tube.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

smackfu posted:

I think all of the US is more than a 12 hour flight from Dubai.

JFK-DXB with just the right winds might be close. Either way, I am pretty sure it is more marketing than anything... reality is probably more like 14 hours- but that doesn't look as good on a poster.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sagebrush posted:

Air sickness happens pretty regularly in AWACS. Keep in mind, we operate the aircraft through parameters that a civilian airliner doesn't nor ever will. Dudes lose their poo poo on aerial refueling, rough air, or while we're beating up the pattern.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

loving hell that is raw.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MrChips posted:

Speaking of it, why hasn't air to air refueling taken off in the civilian world? The technology seems fairly mature to me and it would cut down on time spent on the ground (i.e. time the aircraft isn't making ~Money~)

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ArchangeI posted:

Speaking of it, why hasn't air to air refueling taken off in the civilian world? The technology seems fairly mature to me and it would cut down on time spent on the ground (i.e. time the aircraft isn't making ~Money~)

Launching another plane full of fuel is way more expensive. There's very few civilian reasons to do in-flight refueling. Even in the cargo world it's more cost effective to fly a long route with a partial fuel load and make a landing to refuel along the way--more cargo = more profit.

Like with our giant aircraft carriers, there are plenty of military technologies that just aren't cost effective in the private sector.

(Last time I pointed this out, someone posted that there is a private company that does in-flight refueling, and yes, there is some barge you can rent that serves as a landing strip. When any commercial airline starts using these, then we'll talk. I know FedEx explored in-flight refueling decades ago but could never find a way for it to be worth the massive cost and safety concerns.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ArchangeI posted:

Then you'd have an entire second aircraft that isn't making ~Money~. You'd also increase your susceptibility to weather and risk to passengers. The reason the military does IFR has nothing to do with economic efficiency.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

US domestic has a reputation of being not much better than 3rd world when it comes to inflight services.
AC has a Thales seatback VOD system with USB* at each seat and 115v in at least each seat group**, regardless of whether you're on a 1 hour commuter flight or a transcontinental. It's not the best, but it's actually surprisingly pretty good***†††††

*Not originally intended as a charging point, more for connecting a game controller/card swipe pad for inflight purchases (including content) that was never incorporated/shelved indefinitely.

**if someone hasn't broken it, or if your device doesn't try to draw too much power to charge it's battery.

***†††††over the years it's gotten a lot more reliable, but no more robust. I'd still bring a book just in case.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Is AC referring to Air Canada? If so, I would beg to differ on the in flight entertainment. I've flown up to YXE-YVR with nothing. All of the CRJ's I've flown in do not have IFE.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
RJs don't have IFE but pretty much all newly purchased mainline aircraft are getting IFE.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Air sickness happens pretty regularly in AWACS. Keep in mind, we operate the aircraft through parameters that a civilian airliner doesn't nor ever will. Dudes lose their poo poo on aerial refueling, rough air, or while we're beating up the pattern.

Just to reemphasize, this is so beyond what most people ever experience in an airliner, particularly in the summer. It's hot and stuffy, there's basically no airflow, the jet makes strange motions you're not used to, and it's just weird. HB I don't know if you've ever been in the back for it, but it's totally different than sitting up front. I've only seen like 3 people puke, but several green faces. A lot of this is probably due to the fact that's a 60-year old aircraft design.

Air sickness can also get you DQed from being aircrew in the AF. I never saw it, because there's some kind of treatment program involving a spinning chair they try first. It helped the few people I knew that had problems, so they were fine.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I think USB outlets+WIFI is the ideal model for IFE. Consumer electronics cycle so fast, any integrated IFE will be stale by the time it's in the air. Provision for the unknown rather than lock yourself down. Bring your own ipad or rent one from the drink cart.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gullous posted:

I think USB outlets+WIFI is the ideal model for IFE. Consumer electronics cycle so fast, any integrated IFE will be stale by the time it's in the air. Provision for the unknown rather than lock yourself down. Bring your own ipad or rent one from the drink cart.

Integrated IFE is usually obsolete before it's even designed.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
USB+WiFi+micro HDMI is probably the best bet for IFE. I don't see HDMI (or some form of it that basically is electrically compatible like Display port) getting replaced in the next 10 years or so and that pretty much lets you play any content on your smart phone/notebook with ease.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Integrated IFE is usually obsolete before it's even designed.

UAL isn't happy with their ife on the 787. The first few airplanes will have an older system since the config was frozen quite some time ago, later airplanes will have a better system installed. Plus it's all post merger stuff. That always throws existing aircraft orders into chaos.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

UAL isn't happy with their ife on the 787. The first few airplanes will have an older system since the config was frozen quite some time ago, later airplanes will have a better system installed. Plus it's all post merger stuff. That always throws existing aircraft orders into chaos.

One of the available 787 systems was in FAA acceptance before the iPhone came out.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

benito posted:

(Last time I pointed this out, someone posted that there is a private company that does in-flight refueling, and yes, there is some barge you can rent that serves as a landing strip. When any commercial airline starts using these, then we'll talk. I know FedEx explored in-flight refueling decades ago but could never find a way for it to be worth the massive cost and safety concerns.)

Doesn't the private air refueling company only do it as contract work to the military? Looking them up (Omega Aerial Refueling Services) it sure doesn't look like they have the best track record for not crashing.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

PatrickBateman posted:

Generally I've seen the airlines order specific features for IFE equipment. Was UAL's order less descriptive? If a config was locked, shouldn't it be locked with the customer's option?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The thing with IFE is that it doesn't need to be cutting edge or even consumer electronics level. It basically just needs to be able to show satellite TV and movies in order to keep pax content.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I just wish they'd install some decent quality screens - the screens on most IFE systems are far, far worse than my Lenovo laptop and that isn't exactly a high benchmark to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Last 3 times I flew cattle class (Westjet, AC and United) my IFE screen didn't even work at all. :smith: