Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

QuarkJets posted:

She looks like she's maybe 8 years old. It's really, really common for kids to kill ants individually, and in horrific ways (squashing, burning, etc). It's not sociopathic in the least.

Honestly, I know that most goons don't go outside or interact with people in non-digital ways, but this is getting a bit silly.

Rather I'd say it is pretty sociopathic, but it's still normal because a lot of kids are basically sociopaths. And then they grow out of it.

Seriously kid morality is loving terrifying.

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know who the mastermind is :argh:

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

SirKibbles posted:

Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know who the mastermind is :argh:
I thought that was always obvious. :stare: (for the 'do not go on tumblr' part, I mean.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Something was bugging me about Akane's name the last day or two, so I finally went back and looked up the meaning of it. Memories from way back when I was taking Japanese kept telling me that name seemed symbolic.

While I can't be completely sure without seeing the kanji, the only two readings of Akane show up as 'madder' or 'red dye', with madder being an herb whose leaves are used to make red dye. So that's pretty cut and dried, unless it's a nonstandard kanji or something.

Owari was what was bugging me, because I knew that meant 'the end'. There's a little more behind it, such as being a province name in Japan and a historical name in the Sengoku era, however. It's entirely possible I'm overthinking this.

But, the literal reading of Owari, Akane (Japanese tradition of surname first) comes out to the end, red dye. This would be eerily appropriate if that is Asahina, considering the resolve she was filled with when Sakura died.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Coolguye posted:

Something was bugging me about Akane's name the last day or two, so I finally went back and looked up the meaning of it. Memories from way back when I was taking Japanese kept telling me that name seemed symbolic.

While I can't be completely sure without seeing the kanji, the only two readings of Akane show up as 'madder' or 'red dye', with madder being an herb whose leaves are used to make red dye. So that's pretty cut and dried, unless it's a nonstandard kanji or something.

Owari was what was bugging me, because I knew that meant 'the end'. There's a little more behind it, such as being a province name in Japan and a historical name in the Sengoku era, however. It's entirely possible I'm overthinking this.

But, the literal reading of Owari, Akane (Japanese tradition of surname first) comes out to the end, red dye. This would be eerily appropriate if that is Asahina, considering the resolve she was filled with when Sakura died.

In my experience the kanji used in names is something often mentioned but rarely relevant. So I'd say you're overthinking things.

I had the idea earlier that Togami could die of a heart attack at any point and set off a huge rush of Death Note references. Its not something I'd put past this series if it is going to go for a fake-out trial again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

njsykora posted:

In my experience the kanji used in names is something often mentioned but rarely relevant. So I'd say you're overthinking things.
Yeah, I feel that's more than likely. But, if nothing else, if Owari turns out to be Asahina it'll be a nice little touch.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
I could see the old DR survivors being these new characters, but then where the heck is Hagakure?

AnticitizenOne
Dec 27, 2012

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I could see the old DR survivors being these new characters, but then where the heck is Hagakure?

There are very marked similarities, but I have a feeling this is just to lead us into thinking we know something about what will happen to them, when we really don't. It was supposedly intended for people who played the first game, and DR1 certainly messed with expectations a lot.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
A lot of times, the Kanji used in names has some significance, although with how much Dangan Ronpa throws away expectations, I could be wrong in its relevance here.
Then again in the first one, some names had big significance. Makoto means Truth, for example, and Kirigiri had the kanji for Fog and Cutter, cutting through the fog in the trials so Makoto can find the truth.
It's sort of like naming a strong character in an American story "Kratos", which literally means strength, or naming a beautiful baby girl "Ruby" or "Pearl". It gives the characters personality and an identity before you meet them, even if it's a total subversion, like these names probably are.
Right now, I don't know what the Kanji in everyone's names mean and I'm afraid of checking for spoilers. If it isn't too much trouble, orenronen, could you make a note of what the Kanji in the names are in one of your next translation updates?

HangedManArcana fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 31, 2012

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tarranon posted:

Rather I'd say it is pretty sociopathic, but it's still normal because a lot of kids are basically sociopaths. And then they grow out of it.

Seriously kid morality is loving terrifying.

Except she's not a kid, she's in high school.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I kind of hope every one of these DR1 similar characters actually turn out to have gently caress all to do with the crew from the first game. Even Economy Size Togami.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

orenronen posted:

Puchipuchi is the actual Japanese term for bubble wrap. Well, I guess technically it's called Kihoukanshouzai, but no one actually calls it that.

Wikipedia tells me the word was a bubble-wrap trademarked brand name originally, which transformed into the popular word for the general product many years ago.

:eng101: puchi-puchi is also used as an onomatopoeia (in Japanese) for the sound of popping bubble wrap. couldn't tell you if the brand or the sound came first, though. You can see it used as kind of a pop/squish noise for other purposes as well. Anties, for example, also make a puchi sound when you push on their tummies.
edit: it's open to interpretation but I posit that rather than bubble wrap specifically she just likes popping things

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 31, 2012

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

The Dark Id posted:

I kind of hope every one of these DR1 similar characters actually turn out to have gently caress all to do with the crew from the first game. Even Economy Size Togami.
Oh don't be ridiculous, at the very least fatass Togami is going to have something to do with the Togami from DR1, I'm personally sticking with the "It's Togami only really fat" theory.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

The Dark Id posted:

Not-Naegi does seem to have some differences with the one we know. He's certainly less naive than Naegi.

Fatogami being a completely different person would be fantastic though. Perfect way to mess with people's expectations.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

QuarkJets posted:

That's very interesting! Well then, I guess it confirms that she's probably the same age as everyone else and is just short.

It makes a fun comparison when you realize that with Hiyoko and Kuzuryuu, we have two markedly baby-faced characters in the same group. I can only hope the game will capitalize on this by having them interact over it, because it could be pretty darn funny with how differently they both come at the issue. :allears:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know [a thing]

Thanks for confirming that's even a thing that exists this time around, even if you didn't specify. You're really great at not stepping on people's entirely-blind encounter with this game. "Yeah but dude that's not really a spoiler, surely you could have assumed --" no, let me stop you there, remember the catchphrase from the last thread: You do not get to decide for other people what is and isn't a spoiler. I wasn't assuming that, I was prepared to be surprised by this game breaking form in details like that.
Yeah, it's a minor thing, but every minor spoiler removes avenues for speculation and doubt.

Aaaand... that's it, no longer reading this thread. I'll just bookmark Onenronen's and Fedule's "?" links, I think.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 31, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

EDIT: fine, whatever, but I still think it's the tiniest littlest spoiler that 90% of speculation would include.

EDIT again: Also not reading the thread is probably a good idea anyway, I was just addressing that one thing but again it doesn't really matter

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 31, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Coolguye posted:

Actually, I just saw it as another contrast between Akane and Aoi. Akane (potentially) has the kanji for "red" in it; Aoi means "blue".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Oh man, there's a bad guy in this sequel. A villain. I am shocked at this. Did you know there's trials too?

(Seriously of all the things to be spoiled on that vague sentence is probably loving nothing compared to everything else)

Fine, if we're doing this. It could be a cabal of people behind this. It could be just Monobear acting independently. Oh wait, no, it can't be either of those things, because that post was phrased in a way that confirms either of those aren't true. It's a singular "mastermind".

I know, I know, I'm being overly sensitive, nitpicking, whatever. Leaving the thread. Don't worry about it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Ditocoaf posted:

Thanks for confirming that's even a thing that exists this time around, even if you didn't specify. You're really great at not stepping on people's entirely-blind encounter with this game. "Yeah but dude that's not really a spoiler, surely you could have assumed --" no, let me stop you there, remember the catchphrase from the last thread: You do not get to decide for other people what is and isn't a spoiler. I wasn't assuming that, I was prepared to be surprised by this game breaking form in details like that.
Yeah, it's a minor thing, but every minor spoiler removes avenues for speculation and doubt.

Aaaand... that's it, no longer reading this thread. I'll just bookmark Onenronen's and Fedule's "?" links, I think.

edit:screw it

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Dark Id posted:

I'm sorry, but that's clearly Luxury Size Togami.

No SHSL Heir would ever go for the lowly "economy" anything, they always aim for the top.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

edit: it's open to interpretation but I posit that rather than bubble wrap specifically she just likes popping things

I don't actually think it's open to interpretation. The section is called "好きなもの", and everything under it in every one of these cards is a noun phrase. Had this been the onomatopoeia, it would both be an inconsistency, and would also read really strangely.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Hey, I have a question about the OST for this game...Does any of the song titles spoil any of the events? I know the titles from the OST for DR1 had some, like "Motorcycle Death Cage" spoiling Mondo's execution.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lord Justice posted:

Hey, I have a question about the OST for this game...Does any of the song titles spoil any of the events? I know the titles from the OST for DR1 had some, like "Motorcycle Death Cage" spoiling Mondo's execution.

Yes, several track titles are spoilers.

However, if you only have the original Japanese track listing (i.e. not the transliterated or translated track names you sometimes see on the net), you need to know at least katakana to get any of the spoilers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was wondering if "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson" was a spoiler title the first few times we saw it, since she calls herself Usami. But on actually thinking about it, it could just be a reference to DR1. Plus you can see Usami with a pink/white Monobear split and a single red eye in the opening, so whatever.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
I still don't see the similarities between Owari and Asahina beyond that they both have body types that really don't work with their given SHSL talent. If anything, she kind of looks more like a female Hagakure to me, and her personality seems lifted right from Leon.

The Dark Id posted:

Especially Economy Size Togami.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Author-Man posted:

I still don't see the similarities between Owari and Asahina beyond that they both have body types that really don't work with their given SHSL talent.
Hair color, skin color, general body type, SHSL athletic skills, have trouble remembering names... come on, the writers aren't exactly being subtle here.

Estraven
Oct 18, 2012
I drew my favorite K-ON! character today

Ibuki is really fun and cute and I'm praying she sticks around for a long time! She's also a blast to draw, although after completing this picture I think her title must actually be Super High School Level Hair Stylist because drat GIRL

Here's hoping there's enough product for her on the island to stay looking fabulous :allears:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I like her heart pupils.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Estraven posted:

I drew my favorite K-ON! character today

Ibuki is really fun and cute and I'm praying she sticks around for a long time! She's also a blast to draw, although after completing this picture I think her title must actually be Super High School Level Hair Stylist because drat GIRL

Here's hoping there's enough product for her on the island to stay looking fabulous :allears:

I really like cute, cheerful punky girls, so count me in on hoping to see more.

also: If they really wanted to mess with it, as the game moves forward, have her hair grow out and get calmer as she can't re-dye it. Would be a startlingly interesting development (but would probably never happen because gently caress having to draw multiple sets of sprites :(

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

The Dark Id posted:

While this series does have a habit of playing with expectations, I can't help but feel that the Togamis from DR1 and SDR2 have some connection other than name, because of all of the subtle similarities between the two. It doesn't have to be a "the two Togamis are the same person!" deal but I think it'll be covered in the story eventually.

That being said, it would definitely be hilarious if they had no connection whatsoever (other than name and mannerisms, of course).

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Adding to the words of caution: If you have a youtube account, even if you're watching all of oren's videos through polsy, beware the recommendations, especially on the front page! The titles aren't a problem if you don't know Japanese, but the thumbnails can potentially be dangerous.

I have a hunch this only happens because polsy forgets to set privacy-enhanced mode when embedding the video, but I'm not entirely sure.

EDIT: Confirmed. The page source for the video in the very first update has this little thing:
code:
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gH8CKf3kspw?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen id="ytobj"></iframe>
I wonder if pulling from youtube-nocookie.com instead of the regular youtube domain would solve that problem... Of course, I guess you could always disable cookies yourself if you're that paranoid, but I think it's still worth looking into.

Mersenne fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 31, 2012

Rosa Gallica
Sep 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

That's an interesting idea! I actually get the opposite impression from the meaning of Akane's name, though; it seems to me that if there's any significance to it, it's that it shows the contrast between her and Asahina. Akane is associated with the color red, while - if I remember right - Aoi is associated with blue and other cool colors. (From what I can tell, the character that Asahina uses to write her given name - 葵 - isn't the same Aoi - 青い - used when talking about colors, but homonyms are pretty much what puns are made of.) So introducing Akane by linking her to red, whereas Aoi's name was linked to blue, could be a subtle way for the creators to tell the player that, despite their physical similarities, the two characters are very different. Maybe even complete opposites!

Overanalysis is also a possibility. :shrug:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Color Printer posted:

EDIT: fine, whatever, but I still think it's the tiniest littlest spoiler that 90% of speculation would include.

EDIT again: Also not reading the thread is probably a good idea anyway, I was just addressing that one thing but again it doesn't really matter

Orenonen apparently didn't consider it enough of a spoiler to avoid mentioning it Retsutalk. :v:

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Mersenne posted:

Adding to the words of caution: If you have a youtube account, even if you're watching all of oren's videos through polsy, beware the recommendations, especially on the front page! The titles aren't a problem if you don't know Japanese, but the thumbnails can potentially be dangerous.

Thanks for the warning! A possible solution to the problem: you can go to your YouTube history and clear the Dangan Ronpa videos from it, which I hope will make your recommendations safe.

Nafleky
Oct 14, 2012
One day, Dangan Ronpa 2 thread, I will not draw a sketchy head and will finish a drawing. I still wanna draw Teruteru and Akane because they're my other two favourite characters besides these four. Just being lazy and not finishing drawings!

Until that day though, messy sketches is what you get and you'll enjoy it.

Revolver Lolcat
Aug 9, 2012

I think you captured Chiaki's image pretty well.

Dragoon Cody
Aug 3, 2011

It's time to make the moon fall.
Hey so if you haven't been paying attention to the DR1 thread, a new update finally got added, the full set of free time events for Aoi. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=729

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

I think the artist knew their art skills weren't quite up to snuff, because that arrow there? The word above it is "zipper".
...Yeah, I'm certainly going to do my best translating all the text I can in the fanart I post from now on.

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Please don't spoil Steins;Gate. There's an LP of that going on right now and I know that several people read both threads.

• Locked thread