Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

My point about EVE was that CCP threw around the walking on your ships fantasy for years too, and despite all their manpower at the peak of their powers got nowhere, then got bored, and then almost dropped it altogether. Game is 10 years old next year, and you still can't walk around on your ship, with no ETA for when you can. All you get is a room on a space station.

Priorities change, it's really as simple as that. What does walking around your ship add to EVE? Practically nothing. It has very little to do with how achievable it is. If you're suggesting that the reason why they haven't done anything with it is because it's impossible, you're being very short sighted. How many ships in EVE are there now? Now think of how many assets need to be created to fulfill the goal of "walking around a ship" and multiply it by the number of ships. If they found most people accessed the quarters once or twice and then never touched it again, why would they ever consider proceeding, considering the time and money involved in creating all those assets, just because someone said it would be a feature at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Obsurveyor posted:

Priorities change, it's really as simple as that. What does walking around your ship add to EVE? Practically nothing. It has very little to do with how achievable it is. If you're suggesting that the reason why they haven't done anything with it is because it's impossible, you're being very short sighted. How many ships in EVE are there now? Now think of how many assets need to be created to fulfill the goal of "walking around a ship" and multiply it by the number of ships. If they found most people accessed the quarters once or twice and then never touched it again, why would they ever consider proceeding, considering the time and money involved in creating all those assets, just because someone said it would be a feature at one point?

I didn't say it was impossible, and I was never really interested in the feature. What I was saying is that if a company the size of CCP can't manage to finish creating the feature in that period of time, despite changes in priorities and their financial woes, I think it's sheer fantasy to think it's ever going to happen in this new Elite game because it was mused in a clip.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's a fine example of pointless feature creep. What would it have added to EVE? What might it add to this Elite remake from a company most recently known for amazing mismanagement?

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up
Well, the rules told me that it's fair game to post this here, so I'd like to proudly announce a little campaign I'm doing to raise money for art and music in an interactive game / story thing I did:

http://www.indiegogo.com/actual-sunlight/x/1979187

Two things:

1. It's on IndieGoGo because I am Canadian.
2. It's fixed funding, and if it doesn't meet its goal I am happy to walk away from the whole thing. But who knows? Maybe people will like it.

You can download basically the whole thing without the art and music that I am trying to raise money for - playthrough is about an hour if you really take your time to interact with every single object that you can.

I know the thing seems kind of E/N at first, but I've put a lot of work into it in the past couple of months, so I hope you will check it out and maybe download it. Would love to hear what you all think of it even if you have no interest in giving me :10bux:.

Screenshots:

NeonCowboy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 30, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hatbox Ghost posted:

Too bad it took -16,777,216 years to complete, which means its already finished and any evidence of its physical existence has been reduced to space dust :sigh:

The art direction reminds me a lot of joda.
No, that means that development will end when it is released, and start 16,777,216 years later.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

nessin posted:

Why would that set you off? Walking around inside your own ship is not a new/unheard of thing (although has anyone ever pulled it off well?), and being able to store/dock/land/whatever a player ship into another player ship is really no different than doing it on a NPC ship, as long as you don't try and treat it differently just because it's a player ship.

For me, it's the whole "and MY GAME will have interiors you can walk around in and you can hide on other players' ships and and and" part. Frankly, it sounds like when kids are talking about their awesome game ideas and how awesome the awesome parts will be. All I really want out of an Elite sequel is Frontier with better looking ships and planets and a fun space combat sim. I think they could just barely deliver that on their target budget.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

NeonCowboy posted:

Well, the rules told me that it's fair game to post this here, so I'd like to proudly announce a little campaign I'm doing to raise money for art and music in an interactive game / story thing I did:

http://www.indiegogo.com/actual-sunlight/x/1979187

That looks cool, but your post here should tell us more about the game. It looks like it's in a similar vein as something like To The Moon?

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥
I've already posted about my indie space 4X game Predestination that's on Kickstarter, but I hope it's OK for me to post one final update on the campaign before it ends.

We're now in our final 16 hours and it looks like we're going to end somewhere around 45k! We probably won't quite reach the 50k stretch goal, but should be able to easily find local loan or grant support to make up the difference. We'll keep standard paypal pre-orders up after the Kickstarter ends, but now is the last chance to get the kickstarter-only rewards like free DLC and expansions for life if anyone is interested!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game

We're going to be doing a live Google Hangout for the last 6 hours of the campaign and will post the link in the Kickstarter comments once it's live. We'll have some live Q&A and whiskey-fuelled Irish banter, and will be highlighting some of the other kickstarters up right now. I have to go catch some sleep before the hangout, but I'd like to give a special thanks to all the people who have pledged via this thread, it made a real difference!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Nyphur posted:

I've already posted about my indie space 4X game Predestination that's on Kickstarter, but I hope it's OK for me to post one final update on the campaign before it ends.

We're now in our final 16 hours and it looks like we're going to end somewhere around 45k! We probably won't quite reach the 50k stretch goal, but should be able to easily find local loan or grant support to make up the difference. We'll keep standard paypal pre-orders up after the Kickstarter ends, but now is the last chance to get the kickstarter-only rewards like free DLC and expansions for life if anyone is interested!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nyphur/predestination-a-turn-based-space-4x-strategy-game

We're going to be doing a live Google Hangout for the last 6 hours of the campaign and will post the link in the Kickstarter comments once it's live. We'll have some live Q&A and whiskey-fuelled Irish banter, and will be highlighting some of the other kickstarters up right now. I have to go catch some sleep before the hangout, but I'd like to give a special thanks to all the people who have pledged via this thread, it made a real difference!

I was waffling on this for a while, but I plunked down for the future proof edition.

Are you guys on Greenlight? It always seems to me like people should line up a Greenlight to plug in their backer updates before / when the KS finishes, so that they can get a smooth transition of support clicks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I always thought the ideal Elite would basically be Frontier as it is, combined with a much limited version of the Damocles/Dion Crisis (Mercenary trilogy) roaming freedom, in which you can explore starports, planet surfaces and your ship.
To whoever was saying "B-but enormous amount of assets!!!", go play those games I mentioned (look up MDDclone) - it can all be done procedurally.

I would be happy with just a straight remake of Frontier, though. Just update the graphics, and make combat more fun than "turn off engines, maneuver until enemy is larger than a pixel on the screen, fire beam at him".

Of course that's not gonna happen. Oh, David Braben, you rear end in a top hat.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

XboxPants posted:

That looks cool, but your post here should tell us more about the game. It looks like it's in a similar vein as something like To The Moon?

Right, sorry - I'm not great at self-promotion.

It's similar to To The Moon in terms of gameplay, but there are also long stretches of pure text as well, similar to a visual novel like Analogue: A Hate Story which I also like a lot.

In terms of what they story is about, I guess the nutshell would be that it's about a young guy going through depression, working a sort of dead-end office job, addicted to video games, socially isolated, etc.

It's very much just a story that is internally about the main character. Things about his relationships and circumstances are hinted at more than explained outright, and a lot of the other characters in the game are really intended only to advance and give shape to his story.

Check it out...! You might like it.

EDIT: Threw some screenshots into my original post above as well.

NeonCowboy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 30, 2012

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I was waffling on this for a while, but I plunked down for the future proof edition.

Are you guys on Greenlight? It always seems to me like people should line up a Greenlight to plug in their backer updates before / when the KS finishes, so that they can get a smooth transition of support clicks.

Cheers for pledging! I've been so busy with the Kickstarter that I haven't had time to put up a Greenlight page, but that'll be the first thing I'll do once the campaign is over and all the loose ends are tied up! We'll send out an update to backers when it's up.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Radio The Universe got stretch goals :toot:

It's projected to hit at least $46k so we should get every goal.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 30, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There's a few new indie RPGs being kickstarted. There's Hartacon Tactics which is this multiplayer Final Fantasy Tactics-like skirmish thingy made by a very Italian looking dude with a lady name.

Then there is Caravaneer 2. (The first one was actually pretty good, despite being a crappy-looking free Flash game. It's a post-apoc trading simulator with Deadlands-ish town screens and a Fallout Tactics combat system. (It's also kinda based on Russia's most ancient internet meme, but that only makes it better.)

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
Old Warhams will recognize the name Rick Priestly. He contributed to the design of WH40K.

He's just launched a Kickstarter for his new tabletop IP, apparently starting from scratch:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2037958218/beyond-the-gates-of-antares

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carecat posted:

Radio The Universe got stretch goals :toot:

It's projected to hit at least $46k so we should get every goal.

God, I would never, ever get around to playing it, but every single thing I see about Radio the Universe I keep wanting so hard to get that $25 tier.

Goddamnit if I had money argh. I'd do it just as a gesture of recognition.

Also, what secondary publicity is the developer doing? The artistry evident should be making this thing explode, at least amongst certain communities. I'm surprised the current pledge value is so low.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 1, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Right, you'd think that a scifi Zelda like would be more popular.

Jack Houston and the Necronauts just sent me an update email. It's amusing as it it basically says they have spent the last four months not working on the game at all but as they promised December 2013 delivery and only got 64k you can't really expect the guy to throw his day job away instantly.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Carecat posted:

Jack Houston and the Necronauts just sent me an update email. It's amusing as it it basically says they have spent the last four months not working on the game at all but as they promised December 2013 delivery and only got 64k you can't really expect the guy to throw his day job away instantly.

Not to be a jerk but this guy basically got a free 64k because he is never going to work on this game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It was posted a while ago, but Meriwether has 5 days to go and is still $10k short of its (not at all unreasonable) $35k goal. I'm posting it because this is one I'd really like to see make it :ohdear:. The concept alone is interesting enough (Oregon trail + RPG/story elements), but reading through the various updates and the recent Reddit AMA the dev team ran, it sounds like they've really done a lot of their homework on the setting and that kind of dedication is a good sign for the quality of the final product.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Luna went up today - it's a project from another Colorado indie, that I've been watching over the last year or so.

The video is obnoxiously paced, but fast forward to the gameplay. It isn't quite there yet, but I keep feeling like he's right on the edge of something really cool. I also really dig the art used in gameplay, though the style is iffy when he blows it up for cutscenes.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The look of Radio The Universe reminds me a lot of FFVII, which is a huge minus for me. I feel like I must be the only person who could see Zelda set in FFVII and wrinkle his nose, but there we have it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shalinor posted:

Luna went up today - it's a project from another Colorado indie, that I've been watching over the last year or so.

The video is obnoxiously paced, but fast forward to the gameplay. It isn't quite there yet, but I keep feeling like he's right on the edge of something really cool. I also really dig the art used in gameplay, though the style is iffy when he blows it up for cutscenes.

That just might be the worst Kickstarter video I've seen yet. I watched the whole thing out of morbid curiosity and about all I got out of it is that it's some sort of platformer with a variable light source, some sort of character relationship thing (that sounds like it's going to be irritating to work with), menus, and placeholder sounds. It sounds like it's also going to be heavily plot-based, so I'm concerned about the pacing and writing given how the video went.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shalinor posted:

Yikes, that video was atrocious. All I wanted was to see maybe like 10 seconds of gameplay without interruptions or awkwardly placed transitions. Aside from that, it looks pretty neat. I question the episodic design nature of the game. I wouldn't even have talked about it until this game has been funded and put out the door since I feel like they'll probably need to crowd fund again to create sequels with such a low budget of $8,000. Especially since you get access to episode 2 and 3 with a donation of $25.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I like the look of the game but I feel like I would enjoy it more without the whole lighting aspect. I know people always want to add new or different mechanics to their platformers but it feels like a mechanic I would enjoy for one area/level and then quickly get tired of.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It was posted a while ago, but Meriwether has 5 days to go and is still $10k short of its (not at all unreasonable) $35k goal.

Agreeing with all this- Meriweather seems to be an edutainment game that goes full-on 100% on both those aspects, and anyone who's even remotely into history (the creators certainly seem to be, which is an excellent sign) should give this game the money it needs to be published. And don't let being not-American stop you from donating; I'm Malaysian, and this game already has $75 of my cash, so you Yanks (well, those of you who ARE Yanks) have no excuse :colbert:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Dr. Memory posted:

They just passed £1,000,000 and have 8 days to reach £1,250,000. They might make it.

My eyes glazed over on the project when Braben started talking about walking around on your own ship and stowing away on other people's ships. At that point, I realized he's talking about some imaginary Do Everything game and not one he can actually deliver.

From what I can gather, they seem to have a very firm idea of the features that will be in the initial release. The Do Everything features will probably be patched in at a later date, assuming Elite Dangerous actually makes it through development.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The look of Radio The Universe reminds me a lot of FFVII, which is a huge minus for me. I feel like I must be the only person who could see Zelda set in FFVII and wrinkle his nose, but there we have it.
... I don't remember FF7 looking anything like that once you got out of Midgar, and not much more like that when you were still in it. :confused:

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

Zereth posted:

... I don't remember FF7 looking anything like that once you got out of Midgar, and not much more like that when you were still in it. :confused:

My first instinct was to compare it to FF7 as well - pretty sure it was a bit of cognitive bias due to the initial music having a passing similarity to the Shinra theme.

I was holding off on this one as I'd probably never get around to playing it, and I'm trying to wean myself off crowdfunding so heavily. But gently caress it, it looks and sounds lovely and pretty much epitomises what I want to see in a low-budget Kickstarter - novel passion project, lots of work obviously already done, light on physical rewards or stretch goals outside the core gameplay that could cut into the funds unpredictably, and a dev that really seems to have his poo poo together.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Shalinor posted:

Oh, sweet! These guys post a lot of pictures for screenshot saturday and, besides a little bit of a deviant art-looking character designs, it's always looked like a really good game at the core. Of course, I'm a huge fan of action-RPG metroidvania type games. Hot drat do I have a hardon for last April's Valdis Story and wish I knew what was in that Dec 15th update.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Oh, sweet! These guys post a lot of pictures for screenshot saturday and, besides a little bit of a deviant art-looking character designs, it's always looked like a really good game at the core. Of course, I'm a huge fan of action-RPG metroidvania type games. Hot drat do I have a hardon for last April's Valdis Story and wish I knew what was in that Dec 15th update.
It kills me, how much better his game looks in screenshots - especially the older ones, before he got on that idiotic "shadows!" bent. Plays nicely too.

Somewhere under there is a really cool game, but I'm not sure he's ever going to find it at this rate :( That video certainly isn't going to drive pledges.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

XboxPants posted:

Of course, I'm a huge fan of action-RPG metroidvania type games. Hot drat do I have a hardon for last April's Valdis Story and wish I knew what was in that Dec 15th update.

That is... an introduction :catstare:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

XboxPants posted:

Hot drat do I have a hardon for last April's Valdis Story and wish I knew what was in that Dec 15th update.

I'm not sure how kosher it is to post contents of backers-only updates, but besides some art and music and miscellaneous the main contents of the 15th update was that there should be a demo towards the end of Jan and they're pushing release back a little because Sandy bent them over a barrel. Still Q1 this year with no hard date and still on track, just delayed a bit.

In other fulfilled KS news I notice that Penny Arcade doesn't have any adds in the masthead any longer. :confuoot:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

NmareBfly posted:

I'm not sure how kosher it is to post contents of backers-only updates, but

Personally I think it's completely stupid to try to keep updates private. If it's bad news about your project of the "ha ha we hosed you over" style, everyone will know anyway. And if it's good news or just an informational update, then people who heard about your KS after it ended will be left cold wondering what the deal is.

e: I know you weren't saying anything to the contrary, it just honestly boggles my mind

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Hey guys, do you want a new Android-based console to invest in? I'm not sure if this one is more or less insane than the Ouya.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Personally I think it's completely stupid to try to keep updates private. If it's bad news about your project of the "ha ha we hosed you over" style, everyone will know anyway. And if it's good news or just an informational update, then people who heard about your KS after it ended will be left cold wondering what the deal is.

e: I know you weren't saying anything to the contrary, it just honestly boggles my mind

Yeah, it's absolutely retarded to keep updates restricted to only those who paid. Really great way to not get anyone outside of the funders interested in the project at all. "I wonder when that's scheduled to come out? Oh, they won't tell me. Guess I don't really care then."

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Al! posted:

Hey guys, do you want a new Android-based console to invest in? I'm not sure if this one is more or less insane than the Ouya.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever
Honestly, this seems way less insane. It is "just an Android stick and a gamepad", which we already know works. The usefulness is suspect, given the numbers of gamepad-supporting games on the Android store, but this is on the surface no more or less stupid than buying an iCade or whatever - it's just that, for people that don't want to use their phone / etc.

... in some ways, it's even less stupid than an iCade. You can snag it for $79, which isn't bad at all for what they're offering.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Honestly, this seems way less insane. It is "just an Android stick and a gamepad", which we already know works. The usefulness is suspect, given the numbers of gamepad-supporting games on the Android store, but this is on the surface no more or less stupid than buying an iCade or whatever - it's just that, for people that don't want to use their phone / etc.

... in some ways, it's even less stupid than an iCade. You can snag it for $79, which isn't bad at all for what they're offering.

These guys literally just launched their KS and they already have a more functional UI than the one found on the OUYA devkits.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think it's stupid too -- I'd just copy / paste from the email but I figure it's not exactly my decision to make.

The only thing that backers-only updates do is make backers feel a little more special by including them in the ~secret clubhouse~. I guess you could argue that it fosters a sense of community among backers, but I think that this sort of thing is much less important when the end result of your Kickstarter is going to be a commercial product. Why not get the free publicity? If the KS was for some sort of event or a one-off run of a book I can see the point in keeping things internal but for most everything else I'm having a hard time seeing the advantage.

Maybe it's just that 'Access to exclusive backers updates!' is an easy thing to include in an award tier, but then you have to follow through by actually HAVING some backers only updates or else people will get tetchy about not delivering on your promises.

Oh, and I guess there's the occasional project where sending an update serves as a reminder that it's time to rev the invective engine once more (I'm thinking of the Sarkeesian thing.) :can: though

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 2, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shalinor posted:

Yeah it's a dude who is probably ordering any of a number of pre existing android sticks and controllers off Alibaba or the like, with his own branding.

This is a stick that is nearly identical, the only difference being the styling on it and presumably their UI; otherwise it's the same chipset: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/687641896/Dual_core_Amlogic_8726_MX_android.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CommissarMega posted:

Agreeing with all this- Meriweather seems to be an edutainment game that goes full-on 100% on both those aspects, and anyone who's even remotely into history (the creators certainly seem to be, which is an excellent sign) should give this game the money it needs to be published. And don't let being not-American stop you from donating; I'm Malaysian, and this game already has $75 of my cash, so you Yanks (well, those of you who ARE Yanks) have no excuse :colbert:

I gave em money a while back. I love me some Oregon Trail, and this sounds like a Louis and Clark version of the same.

I don't know what sort of promotion they've been doing, but they really need to hit up the education sites.