Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Install Gentoo posted:

In the Games menu click Activate a product on steam.

To add: Click on the "Add Game" link in the lower left corner, then click "Activate a product on Steam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I'm moving away from home for the first time in two months. Is it too early for me to buy some dishes? I just found an awesome deal on some really nice dishes and I'm wondering if buying them two months out is nuts, or if I'm just imagining that. I could just stash them in my closet in the box until I move so space isn't an issue. But is it generally considered a silly idea to buy stuff like this so soon? Should I wait until I'm actually moved out so that I don't have to move that much more stuff?

The only reason I'm considering buying the dishes right now is because it's an online deal that will expire tomorrow.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Depends on how tight money will be. Moving out for the first time can have a lot of expenses that are hard to plan for. If money is not a concern go for it, if not just hit up a local thrift store. I got a really nice set of dishes for about 20 bucks.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Budget Bears posted:

I'm moving away from home for the first time in two months. Is it too early for me to buy some dishes? I just found an awesome deal on some really nice dishes and I'm wondering if buying them two months out is nuts, or if I'm just imagining that. I could just stash them in my closet in the box until I move so space isn't an issue. But is it generally considered a silly idea to buy stuff like this so soon? Should I wait until I'm actually moved out so that I don't have to move that much more stuff?

The only reason I'm considering buying the dishes right now is because it's an online deal that will expire tomorrow.

Nothing wrong with buying the stuff early if you can get a good deal. Especially if space isn't going to be an issue. Obviously if you're flying you probably don't want to check dishes, and if you're going long distance make sure it'll all fit in your car/truck.

Moving protip: Use small boxes. Your poo poo doesn't look heavy but it is, and it'll just get heavier as the day goes on. You'll be kicking yourself the third time you go up a flight of stairs with one big box where you could have used 2 or 3 smaller boxes instead.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 3, 2013

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Budget Bears posted:

I'd get them in advance. Plates, cutlery and cookware are the sort of thing you are going to want pretty much as soon as you move in. Unless you're planning to live on pizza for a week.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Here's a bad/good one:

How much of WWE/WWF isn't fake/staged? I know in reality TV shows they tend to stage the right personalities together and let the rest take it's natural turns. I'm not sure how much of the same is applied to wrestling. I'm pretty curious about how much work is and isn't put behind the scenes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

To add: Click on the "Add Game" link in the lower left corner, then click "Activate a product on Steam."

Thanks. I was trying to find it in the top menu. I haven't used Steam a whole lot.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Avocados posted:

Here's a bad/good one:

How much of WWE/WWF isn't fake/staged? I know in reality TV shows they tend to stage the right personalities together and let the rest take it's natural turns. I'm not sure how much of the same is applied to wrestling. I'm pretty curious about how much work is and isn't put behind the scenes.
"Pro" wresting and reality tv are both 100% fake and at least loosely scripted.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Avocados posted:

Here's a bad/good one:

The storylines and match outcomes are entirely predetermined (outside a couple odd scenarios where a guy didn't do what he was supposed to.) The moves that they do require very real athletic skill but they're worked around to where they're going to hurt as little as possible. They'll script out some of the fight and/or leave some of it for the wrestlers to come up with in the ring, but in the ring the wrestlers will be working together to do whatever the script is (end the match after a certain amount of time, get ready for someone to run out an interfere, which is also scripted.)

So yeah, it's all predetermined.

Edit: Also, there are three groups of wrestling fans. The first group is those that truely believe that everything that happens out there is real. They're usually kids since usually if you're interested in wrestling you figure it out as you grow up. The second group are people who 'know' it is fake but suspend their disbelief and watch it as if everything is real. It's the same way people watch any TV show and suspend their disbelief, just a bit more 'real' since you can actually go down and watch them perform. The third group are people who know it is predetermined and get entertainment from watching it that way and generally paying a lot of attention to the behind the scenes stuff that happens. If I had to guess I'd say the second group is by far the largest.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 3, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Here's a bad/good one:

http://www.drunkard.com/issues/10_06/10_06_andre_giant.html posted:

A very green rookie wrestler named Hulk Hogan toured Japan several times with Andre and witnessed the Giant’s alcohol consumption first hand. According to Hogan, Andre drank, at a minimum, a case of tall boys during each bus ride. When he finished a can Andre would belch, crush the can in his dinner-platter-sized hand, and bounce the empty off the back of Hogan’s head. Hogan learned to count each thunk, so he could anticipate when Andre was running low.

True facts.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Wrestling's physical demands are very high, so that is definitely the most real thing about it. Don't underestimate the physical toll these guys take just because it's scripted.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I've also heard that the actions in the matches themselves are fairly loosely scripted and occasionally left entirely to the wrestlers to develop/improvise, usually backstage. Sometimes you can see a wrestler fairly visibly whispering instructions to the other wrestler. There's a YouTube channel dedicated to posting funny videos of wrestlers loving the act up by going off script and such, but I can't find it.

Most of this information is from watching Jeff Gerstmann talk about wrestling, his one true passion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

randyest posted:

"Pro" wresting and reality tv are both 100% fake and at least loosely scripted.

Reality TV isn't generally scripted, it's just edited beyond recognition to make it look like exciting things are happening when it's actually just a bunch of ordinary people being uninteresting. They do stuff like splicing innocuous comments and reaction shots into a scene in a way that makes it seem like there's a major disagreement or something or make people look worse than they are, because the unedited footage is actually pretty dull almost all the time.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The storylines and match outcomes are entirely predetermined (outside a couple odd scenarios where a guy didn't do what he was supposed to.) The moves that they do require very real athletic skill but they're worked around to where they're going to hurt as little as possible. They'll script out some of the fight and/or leave some of it for the wrestlers to come up with in the ring, but in the ring the wrestlers will be working together to do whatever the script is (end the match after a certain amount of time, get ready for someone to run out an interfere, which is also scripted.)

So yeah, it's all predetermined.

Edit: Also, there are three groups of wrestling fans. The first group is those that truely believe that everything that happens out there is real. They're usually kids since usually if you're interested in wrestling you figure it out as you grow up. The second group are people who 'know' it is fake but suspend their disbelief and watch it as if everything is real. It's the same way people watch any TV show and suspend their disbelief, just a bit more 'real' since you can actually go down and watch them perform. The third group are people who know it is predetermined and get entertainment from watching it that way and generally paying a lot of attention to the behind the scenes stuff that happens. If I had to guess I'd say the second group is by far the largest.

A friend of mine was in the third group and used to get typewritten photocopied newsletters in the post with all kinds of behind-the-scenes goings-on (Kevin Nash faced charges for sexually harassing a 50 year old woman in his hotel, Mark Henry's sex-addict storyline was written to try and get him to quit after he conned Vince into giving him a bigger contract thanks to his gold medal and then turned out to be the world's worst wrestler, etc.), is there a blog like this out there? This was by far the best part of wrestling for me.

That article you quoted is one of my favorites and Andre is nothing short of an absolute legend for all time.

(that's Muhammad Ali on the left)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

That article you quoted is one of my favorites and Andre is nothing short of an absolute legend for all time.

(that's Muhammad Ali on the left)

Yeah I wasn't being sarcastic. I just find Andre's real life antics to be some of the funniest (and most melancholy) poo poo in all of WWF/WWE's history.

He was by most accounts a real sweetheart but often a dick to Hogan for some reason. :allears:

Edit: and I'm a huge fan of The Giant.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Alright, I may have gone on a long walk in the heat in sandals, taken my sandals off due to a strap-induced blister, then ended up with some more nasty blisters on a big toe and on the soles thanks to boiling old mr road. I need to MacGyver up a solution to walk around without looking like the Penguin, as I'm currently restricted to using my heels. I can't get to the shops and the best thing I have around the house is tissues and duct tape to make stupid shithead shoes. As I've made at least 3 or 4 poor decisions today in regards to foot health I thought I'd ask if this was a good solution.

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

You are boned, tissues and duct tape wont bail you out of this one. Pain killers, alchohol, rest, and weed will make you feel better. Other than that your boned. Feet are one of the only body parts you can't push beyond their limit. Just take it easy and think of how mean you have been to your feet.

Edit; for the record I am waiting on 3 surgeries for my feet. These surgeries are atleast somewhat due to me running Marathon length distances and never giving a poo poo about my feet. I care about them now.

TheHistoryChannel fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 3, 2013

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I am trying to buy a product built and sold by a UK company. They say they do not ship to the US. I'm not sure why that is, but do I have any other legal options? Am I legally allowed to have someone in the UK buy the product, then ship it to me?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I am trying to buy a product built and sold by a UK company. They say they do not ship to the US. I'm not sure why that is, but do I have any other legal options? Am I legally allowed to have someone in the UK buy the product, then ship it to me?

Yup, you can do that (at least, as far as the UK is concerned) - assuming it is not a WMD or restricted item.

Have you asked why they do not ship to the US? It might be that they just don't want to handle the shipping side of things, but if you arrange it, they will be happy to do so.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I open the mail at work, and we get a surprising amount of envelopes with obviously reused stamps on them, cut out from the original envelope and then glued on the envelope that we receive. I would have thought the post office would have a way of identifying stamps that have already been used. Is this not the case or what?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Most of the time the post office here in St. Louis stamps an ink emblem over the stamp which would presumably limit reuse.

edit: Something like this for example: http://www.postmarks.org/members/examples/yap_corn.jpg

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Is there a thread somewhere on the forums covering home automation technology? (X10, zigbee, insteon, others?) Search function isn't turning up anything useful.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

Most of the time the post office here in St. Louis stamps an ink emblem over the stamp which would presumably limit reuse.

edit: Something like this for example: http://www.postmarks.org/members/examples/yap_corn.jpg

That is called the cancellation, and that's exactly what its intended purpose is. The first adhesive postage stamp was the English Penny Black, which only lasted a year before being replaced by the Penny Red. Reason being, the cancellation mark was hard to see on the Black, so re-use was rampant. I'm surprised that Florida Betty sees so much of that though. Are there multiple cancellation marks on the stamps? Might be worth talking to your mailman about, but there's probably not a lot he can do about it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Florida Betty posted:

I open the mail at work, and we get a surprising amount of envelopes with obviously reused stamps on them, cut out from the original envelope and then glued on the envelope that we receive. I would have thought the post office would have a way of identifying stamps that have already been used. Is this not the case or what?

Related to this, I've noticed that recently the stamped stuff on the front of my letters (in the UK) has become much more discreet, and there is no discernible mark on the stamps themselves. My mum and my girlfriend reckon that they can reuse the stamps but I am a bit :tinfoil: and am assuming that there is some kind of invisible mark on the stamps.

What is going on? Am I right or are the ladies?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I don't know why they'd go to an invisible mark but the most likely one would be visible under a black light. Get ahold of one and compare a used stamp to a new one.

It seems that they'd have incentive to use a visible mark though.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Florida Betty posted:

Could it be that the stamp was never originally used? That the sender attached a stamp to an envelope, decided not to send it for whatever reason, and attached the stamp to a second envelope instead?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Most likely some post offices are getting lazy about properly post marking the stamps. They're fine to be reused if they don't look like they're marked but I guess it's on your conscience to do it properly.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

That is called the cancellation, and that's exactly what its intended purpose is. The first adhesive postage stamp was the English Penny Black, which only lasted a year before being replaced by the Penny Red. Reason being, the cancellation mark was hard to see on the Black, so re-use was rampant. I'm surprised that Florida Betty sees so much of that though. Are there multiple cancellation marks on the stamps? Might be worth talking to your mailman about, but there's probably not a lot he can do about it.

Usually there is a cancellation mark, but sometimes not, or at least it isn't visible. Today I had about 20 letters to open, and one didn't have a cancellation mark (maybe because it had 3 30 year old 15 cent stamps on it instead of a more modern machine-readable stamp?).

I assume the post office just isn't too vigilant about people reusing stamps because few people would go to such an effort. My company works almost exclusively with people over the age of 60 (who are known for their frugality) so maybe this is why.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I remember my mom told me when she was a kid people would put scotch tape over stamps when sending to a friend so that friend could peel off the tape, cut out the stamp and re-use, probably with tape again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

greazeball posted:

A friend of mine was in the third group and used to get typewritten photocopied newsletters in the post with all kinds of behind-the-scenes goings-on (Kevin Nash faced charges for sexually harassing a 50 year old woman in his hotel, Mark Henry's sex-addict storyline was written to try and get him to quit after he conned Vince into giving him a bigger contract thanks to his gold medal and then turned out to be the world's worst wrestler, etc.), is there a blog like this out there? This was by far the best part of wrestling for me.
Yeah thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda in that 3rd group that wants to know how all the behind the scenes acting and storywriting goes. (And of course eventually see a live match, this is sort of a new interest for me). Of course I wouldn't want to be that guy that tries pointing everything out and ruins the magic, I just want to go there and enjoy myself. But i'm equally fascinated by the behind-the-scenes stuff. Any documentaries, youtube links or blog articles would be cool.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Is it weird to use a hairdryer on your beard?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Lance Streetman posted:

No more weirder than using a hairdryer on your crotch.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I went to Barstow, California and my friends and I went dirt bike riding over behind the mall. My friend was saying that it is public land and you can camp and go drive your off road vehicles pretty much with out any restriction. Is this true?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Lance Streetman posted:

I wouldn't call it weird. It's unusual, probably, but I wouldn't attach any sort of social stigma to it.

ColumnarPad
Oct 15, 2008
Completely wrong forum. Have no idea how I ended up here.

ColumnarPad fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 4, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

b0nes posted:

I went to Barstow, California and my friends and I went dirt bike riding over behind the mall. My friend was saying that it is public land and you can camp and go drive your off road vehicles pretty much with out any restriction. Is this true?

According to this map a lot of the area around Barstow is federal land owned by the Bureau of Land Management so maybe? But if it's directly behind the outlet mall I'm assuming most if not all the land along I-15 in that area is privately held.

EDIT: Your friend is correct, the Stoddard Valley recreation area is right behind the outlet mall and is public land. They allow camping and OHV use.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/stoddard.html
http://www.californiadesert.gov/maps.php?code=svohva

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 4, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
There is a depressing lack of Simpson's quotes on youtube. Has a big index of Simpson's quotes been attempted before but Fox has taken them down?

I would be tempted to go to the effort of putting every good Simpson quote (so about 11 seasons worth) up on youtube if I could be reasonably sure Fox wouldn't gently caress it up. To my limited understanding, small clips of shows are allowed but I know youtube takes videos down whenever a big company complains.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

TheHistoryChannel posted:

You are boned, tissues and duct tape wont bail you out of this one. Pain killers, alchohol, rest, and weed will make you feel better. Other than that your boned. Feet are one of the only body parts you can't push beyond their limit. Just take it easy and think of how mean you have been to your feet.

Edit; for the record I am waiting on 3 surgeries for my feet. These surgeries are atleast somewhat due to me running Marathon length distances and never giving a poo poo about my feet. I care about them now.

Ahhh crud. At least they're feeling slightly better today. Will not be so dumb in the future.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

TheHistoryChannel posted:

Good luck with your surgeries. I had to get 5 surgeries between my two feet after having an accident and crushing them both. The broke in half pelvis I had was the most potentially threatening, but it was my god damned feet that kept me in a wheelchair for 2 months. Feet injuries blow, hope recovery is smooth for you!

edit: is there a point in recovery that ringworm stops being contagious? Like, it's nearly gone and so on the way out, not a threat anymore? My cat's got a tiny spot on his head, nearly gone w/ treatment, and he's decided that rubbing his face all over my face is the best way to wake me up in the mornings and I'm gonna be so pissed if I catch this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Avocados posted:

Yeah thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda in that 3rd group that wants to know how all the behind the scenes acting and storywriting goes. (And of course eventually see a live match, this is sort of a new interest for me). Of course I wouldn't want to be that guy that tries pointing everything out and ruins the magic, I just want to go there and enjoy myself. But i'm equally fascinated by the behind-the-scenes stuff. Any documentaries, youtube links or blog articles would be cool.

The Punchsport Pagoda forum in SAS will probably have all the sources you can read and more. It covers professional wrestling along with MMA/Boxing/etc but there seem to be a lot of threads on professional wrestling.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=177