Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

VogeGandire posted:

poo poo, how could I have forgotten Zybysko/Gigante.

Bill Kazmaier and Jushin Liger was another pretty cool team (this was Liger in 91) and it was also cool that they went over DDP (in 91) and Mike Graham. Then again, I think it was Kazmaier they were trying to push. Either way, it was cool to see Liger get the pin.

EDIT: Just decided to watch it. JR called the team, "Bill Kazmaier, the World's Strongest Man and Jushin Thunder Liger, the world's most High Flying Man." So awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I love the idea of legit doing random drawings and booking around it. It seems like it would be a fun exercise for the booker, and for us fans we'd get one really weird show. I'd rather that once in a while than "can you believe that these two mortal enemies are teaming up? How will they EVER coexist?!"

In my longest-running TNM fed, the equivalent to the Royal Rumble was an unbooked Lethal Lottery/BattleBowl. It was an absolute blast to figure out how to make the winner a convincing World Title challenger by the time his title shot came around.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tzirean posted:

In my longest-running TNM fed, the equivalent to the Royal Rumble was an unbooked Lethal Lottery/BattleBowl. It was an absolute blast to figure out how to make the winner a convincing World Title challenger by the time his title shot came around.

I loved unbooking in TNM. It would give you some of the craziest results. I loved running an "All-Star" promotion of the best wrestlers ever and just seeing who would come out on top. Bret Hart was my Champion for six straight months and not a single match had the result booked for it. He was just beating everyone, especially Fujinami who kept winning number one contender matches. I also once had just a big mixed roster and nobody could beat EZ Money. I had to finally book him off of the title.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Battlebowl was the best gimmick PPV if you liked really short crappy matches. The idea of a lethal lottery is kind of neat, but in practice there is never enough time or the teams just have no chemistry.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I loved unbooking in TNM. It would give you some of the craziest results. I loved running an "All-Star" promotion of the best wrestlers ever and just seeing who would come out on top. Bret Hart was my Champion for six straight months and not a single match had the result booked for it. He was just beating everyone, especially Fujinami who kept winning number one contender matches. I also once had just a big mixed roster and nobody could beat EZ Money. I had to finally book him off of the title.

I did this, too, many times. But it would always lose a bit of its fun when I realized how much the varying quality of the wrestler exports affected the outcomes (Flair went like 0-30 at one point because his moveset blew and it was virtually impossible for him to win with the Figure-Four). The unbooked Lethal Lottery was my way of getting that thrill without holding my fed hostage; add 40 randoms to tag team matches, book a battle royal for the winners, and then figure out how in the hell to book Donovan Morgan and his 3-5-3 win-loss-draw record as a threat to Vader's title.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

War Games rules. Bite your tongue.

Triple H apparently loves that match, too, so maybe we'll get it back when he's in charge. Hopefully with two rings, too. I'd give anything to see Survivor Series return to all-elimination matches with a War Games main event.

Elimination Chamber is already his ode to War Games

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Welp, watchin Muta/Windham v Pillman/Scorpio. Muta and Pillman have a great exchange. Thanks for giving me something to watch thread!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Oatgan posted:

Elimination Chamber is already his ode to War Games

Now how can that be? That was an Eric Bischoff innovation!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Unrelated note, but this link posted much earlier in this thread still works: http://static.tbs.com/sports/thunder/index.htm

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Alright, we went in one direction with the Austin talk about WCW going on life support a little longer without WWF having the extra big star/using Ken Shamrock, which would have worked out fantastically as everyone is aware. I was rewatching Starrcade 97, Goldberg vs Steve McMichael, and I noticed something that could have gone horribly wrong, and sunk WCW even faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zWtvuLrpVDM#t=262s

Goldberg basically throws a wild punch, as a green as gently caress wrestler, within inches of crowd members, including children. Say Goldberg brains a 12 year old on PPV, destroys his push in one swing. What does WCW do?

TL:DR, what if Goldberg hosed himself out of his god push?

E: Bonus points if you somehow work it out to WCW's advantage.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Push Goldberg anyway as a heel and have Hogan be the big hero to take him out. :v:

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
Goldbergs win streak from then on is all 12 year old Make A Wish kids. JR resigns with WCW just to scream "REACH FOR THAT BRASS RING KID, MAKE YOURSELF A STAR AND HOPEFULLY SURVIVE CANCER" 8.0 quarters, Bill Clinton gives Hogan a Diamond Cutter for the show closest to the 4th of July 1998. Would they call it a "Bubba Cutter" or would they pick something way stupider.

When one reads the tea leaves, the tea leaves read you.

The Fanciest Big Bad Booty Daddy.

E: Is it possible to read something in a combined voice of Scott Steiner and Dr. Manhattan? Because that's kinda how it came out in my head. "Odds are just things are that stacked against you, particular differences in our particles, in the way you perceive your chances, things that make some of us freaks, and some of us fat asses. Fundamentally, though, at the cellular level, we are the same." I highly doubt I could make Steiner Dr. Manhattan in GIMP, because I suck at GIMP, and all other mediums of photo editing.

cucka fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 3, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
[quote="cucka" post=""411132358"] Scott Steiner ... Dr. Manhattan
[/quote]

A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. But HE'S FAT!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think I brought this up earlier in the thread but Scott Steiner should have ended the streak.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I think I brought this up earlier in the thread but Scott Steiner should have ended the streak.
The rightest thing you've ever said.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
To answer the question from before, the real names thing was probably because it's before the Internet was super big so you couldn't find that information out, and secondly because in the territory days wrestlers would change between regions under different names with different pushes and different gimmicks, so instead of saying.

"Arn Anderson - ie, that guy who started in SECW and used to job in Mid-South for a while." you can say "Arn Anderson (Martin Lunde)"

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lots of wrestlers never used their real names though, so what use is it to a fan to know that Lex Luger is Larry Pfohl?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrBling posted:

Lots of wrestlers never used their real names though, so what use is it to a fan to know that Lex Luger is Larry Pfohl?

Lex Luger is a bad example as he used the same name in WCW and WWF, but if you were a big fan of Earthquake in the WWF then you wouldnt necessarily pay any attention to "The Shark" wrestling in WCW. On the other hand if he was always called "Earthquake (John Tenta) and then you read a report that "The Shark (John Tenta)" or "Avalanche (John Tenta)" was in a match on WCW you'd know that a guy you were a fan of was on the show.

Obviously more useful in indies/territories where a guy might have a half dozen gimmicks depending on where and who he was wrestling, but thats the rationale.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I totally get him doing the name thing for guys who just got new gimmicks (like I mentioned the Zodiac). Luger was just the one that stood out to me, where I wasn't sure why Meltzer bothered putting his real name there.

I assume it's just because Big Dave is obsessive and has to do everything a certain way.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'm not sure what MDA means here. Muscular Dystrophy Association?

Also, great quotes, MRP.

Was wondering this.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Was wondering this.

If they're talking exploitative carny bullshit I'd bet good money this is the case...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Was wondering this.

I'm honestly not sure. I tried to find the answer in the back issues last night but searching issues for MDA didn't help. If I have time I'll look a bit further back tonight. Basically WCW promoted that they would donate a dollar to some charity for every purchase of Fall Brawl. Dave hated how exploitative this came off and joked WCW would just raise the PPV price $1. I believe they actually did, and then aired all of these tasteless promos involving the cause.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave on the board:

quote:

No one thing killed WCW.

Actually I take that back.

One thing killed WCW. Complete stupidity. Just 100s of examples, no singular one was the killer.

It's like if somebody dies from lung cancer, trying to argue which individual cigarette killed them.

Or in the case of some in charge of WCW, arguing that cigarettes have no relation to cancer, and it was the doctor who took WCW off like support that killed them, not the cigarettes.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So it was The Giants smoking that killed WCW!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So it was The Giants smoking that killed WCW!

The Newport Winston Order *cough hack*

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Smoking Giant was hilariously awesome and perhaps the best thing Big Show has ever done.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always really dug The Giant in WCW. Probably just because they had a million wrestlers so there was a never ending supply of people to let Giant squash so he always remained this insane monster who could only be beat by the handful of top guys. And this being emphasized by the guy taking his matches so casually that he'd smoke during them always just cracked me up. I guess I was supposed to be outraged he wasn't taking it seriously or something but I always just laughed and said "Yeah, he's that loving scary! Its that loving easy!"

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
edit-nm

RacistGuidingLight fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 8, 2013

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

nasboat posted:

Smoking Giant was hilariously awesome and perhaps the best thing Big Show has ever done.

The Giant/Big Show's greatest moment to me remains his incredibly awkward introduction to WCW.

"REMEMBER THIS?!" *throws shirt at Hulk Hogan*

Well, that and casket-surfing with the Big Bossman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

The Giant/Big Show's greatest moment to me remains his incredibly awkward introduction to WCW.

"REMEMBER THIS?!" *throws shirt at Hulk Hogan*

Well, that and casket-surfing with the Big Bossman.

How can you forget the Monster Truck battle where Hogan tossed him off the building and luckily he hit the water so he could wrestle later that night?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bobkatt013 posted:

How can you forget the Monster Truck battle where Hogan tossed him off the building and luckily he hit the water so he could wrestle later that night?

Here's a video. I'd been meaning to re-watch that as I recently parked on top of Cobo Hall and was curious as to how they set it up. There's a road between the Hall and the river, in case anyone was wondering.

Weird seeing the Windsor skyline without the giant obnoxious Caesar's sign.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I posted it somewhere else in this thread but in RE: to the monster truck thing, I worked for Bigfoot for a long time (the monster truck team that built and ran this stunt). Bringing up this stunt conjures up bad memories for everyone involved. The stunt was nearly impossible to pull off because the trucks constantly would melt transmissions and that shoot took forever. Monster trucks are hard enough to keep running with no other forces....being forced ram another monster truck is an insane amount of stress on the already stressed drivetrain. That's why the roof top was wet. No way in hell would this have ever worked if the trucks had ample traction.

Both trucks had braces built that welded them together as well as hydraulic ram rods that would "lift" the front end off the ground slightly to make one truck lose traction (thereby letting the other truck push it). I believe 7 or 8 transmissions (takes 20-30 mins to switch one out) were melted during this shoot and all the takes were spliced together. The guys in the shop said WCW (Bischoff) was insanely hard to work with were not understanding of the engineering difficulty at all. From what they describe, Hogan and Giant were cool but the production dudes were jackoffs.

When I read Bischoff's book last year I saw he actually mentioned how much of a pain in the rear end a certain monster truck team was to work with (he kept it unnamed). The guys got a laugh out of that when I showed it to them.

EDIT - Here is the Macho Man truck was that was built but never ran because the deal fell through! A Bret Hart body was also being developed.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I want that truck

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRayPer posted:

The 7/31/95 Observer is up and boy was it a good week to watch wrestling on TV!

Any thought of trying to make Tank Abbott a wrestler has already fallen through after people actually thought out what they were thinking. Terry Taylor on the Hotline was negative about the idea and then said WCW had four or five guys who could stretch him. Like who?
Abbott was never actually great at anything, he was just good at pounding the poo poo out of deluded karate guys with no full-contact experience who thought they could win the UFC. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a handful of guys in the company who could outgrapple him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I want that truck

I will fight you for it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I will fight you for it.

Only if we duel with monster trucks

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

triplexpac posted:

Only if we duel with monster trucks

I know some guys that could help you with this.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010
I also know a guy that could help you with this!

His name is ColonelJohnMatrix.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

WCW should have brought in Colt Cobra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Abbott was never actually great at anything, he was just good at pounding the poo poo out of deluded karate guys with no full-contact experience who thought they could win the UFC. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a handful of guys in the company who could outgrapple him.

Excuse me but Tank went toe-to-toe with Meng for over an hour once, then fought Jerry Flynn to a stand still in The Block. Nobody in WCW could take him down in a fair fight.