Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
But is it something that should be on Kickstarter? Kickstarter says it's a home for creative projects and they are using it as marketing to make a buck repackaging an already mass produced product.

Their pitch video is also deceptively making it look like they have done a lot of work on new hardware, when they have only come up with a controller and a software interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Carecat posted:

But is it something that should be on Kickstarter? Kickstarter says it's a home for creative projects and they are using it as marketing to make a buck repackaging an already mass produced product.

Their pitch video is also deceptively making it look like they have done a lot of work on new hardware, when they have only come up with a controller and a software interface.

Kickstarter can say they're a home for creative projects all they want, what they are is a way to get money if you're decent at marketing yourself.

They're making minor changes to an existing device and packaging it all up to be basically braindead easy for people to use instead of having to put it together yourself. And adding a nice UI which is probably worth the extra $5 compared to sourcing everything yourself, if you want this kind of thing.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Something being braindead easy to use is a valuable, legitimate reason for its production. See: Macs, iAnything, etc

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, I don't really see anything wrong with the way they're going about it, and it seems legit. In the end of the day Kickstarter is clearly a place where you're marketing team can knock it out of the park getting a product run presold in days. As long as products remain credible, I can see this being a good thing, as maybe this will reduce waste going to products that had a poo poo house premise and pitch to begin with.

On the other hand, Braben got funded to run his studio into the ground for a year or two more so what the gently caress, I dunno. The idea of Kickstarter primarily being about little projects started by little indies is long gone, and likely was never really the purpose anyway.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
American McGee wants 200,000 of your American Dollars to make a grimdark Japanese take on Red Riding Hood: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spicyhorse/akaneiro-demon-hunters

Eh.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

American McGee wants 200,000 of your American Dollars to make a grimdark Japanese take on Red Riding Hood: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spicyhorse/akaneiro-demon-hunters

Eh.

A free to play one at that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Spicy Horse isn't an awful developer but it feels like they have no soul. Both Grimm and Madness Returns weren't awful but they were extremely repetitive and bland. Akaneiro looks to be exactly the same.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Yodzilla posted:

Eh.

a) 200k is nothing
b) Who the hell is going to back f2p?
c) What is it with lovely 90s devs and iphone game studios?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 4, 2013

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

He's not even offering in-game currency to anybody that backs. There's no incentive here.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mojo Jojo posted:

He's not even offering in-game currency to anybody that backs. There's no incentive here.

At $10 and up you get a $3 "Karma" pack. As well as mobile beta access, though honestly I'm pretty tired of indie betas. There are way, way more than enough complete indie games that I need to play before I'm going to play the typical indie beta. Often they're just so... not... fun. Like, I'm sure Survivors of Ragnarok (2D dwarf fortress) might be a great game eventually, but it ain't there yet.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Bad Day LA was unspeakably awful, Grimm was tired, crash-prone and edgy as a spoonful of cottage cheese, and Madness Returns, while pretty, was a bland platformer. Seeing Spicy Horse flogged in a trailer is an immediate no-sale. "No soul" is a really good way to describe even their decent stuff like Madness Returns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Eh.

This sounds awful and I even liked both Alice games. At least he isn't asking for much.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Neocolonialism is how you do an indie Kickstarter video. He shows a functional and fun-looking (in spite of iffy art) prototype right off, then dives straight into the meat of what the game is and why he needs the money. My only real negative critique is that he should have turned on another lamp or something, as the video seems a bit dark.

(it's a political game, about buying votes and running the world economy into the ground right before you make off with your swiss bank account)

EDIT:

coffeetable posted:

a) 200k is nothing
b) Who the hell is going to back f2p?
c) What is it with lovely 90s devs and iphone game studios?
a/b: Given that they're based in China, and this is a very Chinese/Korean sort of F2P game, it's possible this is a reasonable budget for them. Dollar inequality and all that. Once developed, this would then probably make them a pretty penny in their market.

c: iPhone is the big money-making space for F2P, and mobile is THE major market in Spicy Horse's region. 90's devs go wherever the investment money is, because they can pretty effectively convert their cachet into investment dollars.

... honestly, this may be a very reasonable project over there. We're not the target market for the lion's share of games to come out of that space, so I couldn't even tell you if this looks like a good one. Definitely not the kind of thing that makes sense on a Western-focused Kickstarter, but that's the only one that exists for now, so eh.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 4, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, it looks like Meriweather hit its goal. With 49 hours left to go, I'm not sure if it'd hit any of its stretches, nor am I confident that all the pledges will go through, but this game is a go, it seems! We really need more games based on exploring real history that aren't wargames, and hopefully Meriweather'd be one of them.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Eh.

To be honest, their tablet demo version does look pretty awesome. Its just that their rewards dont seem to be particularly appealing.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr.48 posted:

To be honest, their tablet demo version does look pretty awesome. Its just that their rewards dont seem to be particularly appealing.

Yeah, I'm conflicted. It's pretty much my perfect aesthetic (look at that three eyed oni! :allears:), but I really wish it wasn't a free to play game and none of the rewards really appeal. I'll probably throw them a couple of dollars to support the concept.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

I don't know if this has already been made public, but Kevin Saunders mentioned on his Formspring that he's the director for inXile's Planescape: Torment sequel, and that it'll be crowdsourced.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shalinor posted:

Neocolonialism is how you do an indie Kickstarter video. He shows a functional and fun-looking (in spite of iffy art) prototype right off, then dives straight into the meat of what the game is and why he needs the money. My only real negative critique is that he should have turned on another lamp or something, as the video seems a bit dark.

(it's a political game, about buying votes and running the world economy into the ground right before you make off with your swiss bank account)

I really like games that allow you to be a tremendous rear end in a top hat on the world stage and reward you for it, but geo-political economic games always seem like hell to balance and also be fun. My biggest critique is the awful map project he is using, North America and Asia look like they have gigantic boners sticking out in opposite directions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coffeetable posted:

I don't know if this has already been made public, but Kevin Saunders mentioned on his Formspring that he's the director for inXile's Planescape: Torment sequel, and that it'll be crowdsourced.

Wait, surely it's just a spiritual successor and not an actual sequel? They didn't actually go out and get the Planescape license again?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Wait, surely it's just a spiritual successor and not an actual sequel? They didn't actually go out and get the Planescape license again?

It was reported a few weeks back that they've bought the Torment license, but not the Planescape part (presumably because WotC considers it a dead property).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I had no idea they were separate. What exactly does the Torment license entail, if not the D&D setting? So they can make a game with the same characters, but only the ones that aren't D&D races? No Dak'kon since he's a Githzerai and thus trademarked? How the hell does that work? Or is it just the name "Torment"?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 6, 2013

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They just bought the name so that they can work on their own IP while still having a link in the players' mind to the other game.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Megazver posted:

They just bought the name so that they can work on their own IP while still having a link in the players' mind to the other game.

You have to wonder why they felt that necessary given being a spiritual successor was enough to make Project Eternity a huge success. Oh well, it is good news regardless.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Yodzilla posted:

Eh.

Somehow I got invited to the beta. It feels acceptable but nothing stood out to me, it feels quite budget and has a made with tablets in mind simplicity. Can't see why you wouldn't pay for Torchlight 2 instead.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 6, 2013

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Carecat posted:

Somehow I got invited to the beta. It feels acceptable but nothing stood out to me, it feels quite budge and has a made with tablets in mind simplicity. Can't see why you wouldn't pay for Torchlight 2 instead.

I did too. I can't even tell where they got my email, I certainly never asked to be in the beta for an American McGee game. I didn't download it and I don't imagine I will, but it's really odd to me that I'm in their beta.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you bought the Groupees bundle for La-Mulana/Underrail/whatever, one of the bonus stuff was an invitation to Akaneiro's beta.

Akaneiro's an all right ARPG from what I played in November. The aesthetic is pretty, the atmosphere neat, the mechanics rather simple. A studio of what appears to be seven people wants to improve their game by adding multiplayer support and developing Android/iOS ports. What's so bad about that?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You have to wonder why they felt that necessary given being a spiritual successor was enough to make Project Eternity a huge success. Oh well, it is good news regardless.
Obsidian is one of those companies that has a fairly sizable number of hardcore fans. The fact that Obsidian was making it was probably a bigger factor in its success than the idea of a new spiritual successor to ye olde IE games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Looks like GalCon 2 squeaked by its goal with 9 hours to go. I doubt it'll make much in the way of stretch goals, but still, good for them.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Eh.

Their concepts are good but it doesn't look like it translates at all to 3d. It just looks muddy and the outline thing is completely overdone.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I want to see American McGee do something original and not "your favorite fairy tale but dark and twisted!!" He's the Tim Burton of video games.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I want to see American McGee do something original and not "your favorite fairy tale but dark and twisted!!" He's the Tim Burton of video games.

Then brother, you want Bad Day L.A.!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Yodzilla posted:

Ok!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Day_L.A.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I actually played that game. It's honestly incredible just how loving horrible it is.

Nyphur
May 28, 2005

Founder of the Goon Hug Squad ♥

Shalinor posted:

Looks like GalCon 2 squeaked by its goal with 9 hours to go. I doubt it'll make much in the way of stretch goals, but still, good for them.

It's fantastic to see this game succeed, it was really quiet for most of the campaign but exploded at the end with all those updates and videos. Free-to-play games also seem to have a hard time on Kickstarter since most people usually pledge the minimum they need to buy a copy of the game.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

To be fair, he also made Scrapland which there was an LP of but apparently didn't get archived. They basically had 4 or 5 mechanics total, which weren't all terribly bad but that they kept repeating over and over ad absurdem. It even had some interesting mechanics like being able to turn yourself into other robots.

I'm disappointed I can't find the LP because it started out looking cool and then just never loving ends.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I loved Scrapland! I still have to play his Alice games, though, been putting it off for ages (since the first one came out, in fact).

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scrapland had a nice little themetune, which is the only thing I know about it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Did he make Scrapland? I thought they basically gave him a producer hat and put his name on it in the hopes of attracting more attention. Regardless, human.ogg is still a pretty solid tune.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Did he make Scrapland? I thought they basically gave him a producer hat and put his name on it in the hopes of attracting more attention. Regardless, human.ogg is still a pretty solid tune.

The song for anyone too lazy to Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJY1jcMlSI
The description says it was never played in the game, but I clearly remember hearing this song in the demo, I think it played in the bar you start the demo in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

lordfrikk posted:

I loved Scrapland! I still have to play his Alice games, though, been putting it off for ages (since the first one came out, in fact).
The first Alice is an excellent game and the second one is really really boring and repetitive.