Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

And even Cyan, the originators of this, got it half-right with Myst, and then nailed it with Riven, and then went off the rails with the rest of it, probably to make it more accessible to more players.

They actually had little to do with the post-Riven MYST games. They were starting the Uru project at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought they let Exile go to Hat Trick or whoever, but directly oversaw Myst IV and V.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Whats the general consensus best Age of Wonders like game around at the moment? I have Fallen Enchantress but its failed to really wow me so far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rabhadh posted:

Whats the general consensus best Age of Wonders like game around at the moment? I have Fallen Enchantress but its failed to really wow me so far.

Eador. It's not amazing graphically but hits all the right notes gameplay wise.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Isn't there a graphical remake of Eador in the works?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

They actually had little to do with the post-Riven MYST games. They were starting the Uru project at the time.

Is Uru worth a look? The whole MMO-puzzle thing and the weird fourthwall breaking RP type stuff confuses the heck out of me.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Exile wasn't that bad, honestly, and parts of Revelations were decent too. (End of Ages was terrible, though.)

Riven's definitely the best of the bunch and I should replay it sometime soon.

Riven was the only game I ever kept a journal for. The gameplay was such a simple point-and-click affair but the world building was incredibly inspiring. I still don't think there's ever been a cover as iconic as Riven's for me.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Can anyone name some great games with "New Game +" modes? Where you play through, and then play through again but with all the power you gained on the first playthrough? To me, Chrono Trigger is the classic example, and I also recently played Torchlight 2 which has a relatively cool New Game + mode for increasing difficulty.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking for an fps CO-OP game like System Shock 2 or Borderlands 2. Too bad Republic Commando wasn't Co-OP. drat you LucarArts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rashomon posted:

Can anyone name some great games with "New Game +" modes? Where you play through, and then play through again but with all the power you gained on the first playthrough? To me, Chrono Trigger is the classic example, and I also recently played Torchlight 2 which has a relatively cool New Game + mode for increasing difficulty.

Dark Souls is an obvious contender here. After beating the game (which itself is hardly the easiest task), you can jump back in with everything you finished the game with, and the enemies have all been considerably jacked up. You can continue this all the way to NG+7 before things stop getting stronger, I believe.

Nier is another one, where NG+ is actually required to get Endings B, C, and D (but you'd be forgiven for stopping after B). It also changes the plot a bit and puts more focus on one of your companions, which is nice for actually making you want to play NG+.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 5, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

GreatGreen posted:

So I started out playing Divinity 2 last night. Thanks again for the recommendations, guys.

One question though. The world seems cool, but character control, meaning the look and feel of movement and combat, seems really jagged and unpolished. Do you ever get used to that or does it stick
out at you the whole time?
I'm not sure, you may even be right in that melee combat is clunky, but you'd probably want to start with archery in the first place and optionally move on to magic. Get a bonus item for Exploding Arrow and it's like using a bazooka. :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rashomon posted:

Xenoblade. I'm working on Dragon's Dogma right now and that apparently has NG+.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rashomon posted:

The Tales series.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
This is more "Sell me on this game" I guess, but as of the latest patch, is Diablo III any good? Closest thing I can find to a consensus is the game is even if you enjoy the game, it isn't as good as Diablo II. I played the Starter Edition and like it so far but I've heard that the game's problems really become apparent after Act I and by Act IV it becomes an awful mess so I'm kinda worried that I'd be paying ~$50 to play the worst parts of the game.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 5, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rashomon posted:

Valkyria Chronicles has this as well.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Has anyone played the Nehrim overhaul mod for Oblivion? I've seen here mentioned here a while back very briefly. I've only had a chance to play it long enough to get out of the first dungeon, but it seems really well done. I never got much into regular Oblivion, too many things put me off such as mobs scaling with you, the fact I could walk around forever and barely encounter anything interesting. Lots of dungeons, yeah but almost everyone just has rats or something boring in it. I've been hungry for a new RPG to get into lately, and for some reason my laptop seems to be able to run Oblivion just about perfect on lower settings despite being a dual core 1.0 AMD with onboard graphics, which really limits newer choices.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BlazinLow305 posted:

Has anyone played the Nehrim overhaul mod for Oblivion? I've seen here mentioned here a while back very briefly. I've only had a chance to play it long enough to get out of the first dungeon, but it seems really well done. I never got much into regular Oblivion, too many things put me off such as mobs scaling with you, the fact I could walk around forever and barely encounter anything interesting. Lots of dungeons, yeah but almost everyone just has rats or something boring in it. I've been hungry for a new RPG to get into lately, and for some reason my computer seems to be able to run Oblivion just about perfect on lower settings despite being a dual core 1.0 AMD with onboard graphics, which really limits newer choices.

Nehrim rules and if you like it you should play Gothic 1+2!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Nehrim rules and if you like it you should play Gothic 1+2!

How new are those games and what type of RPG are they? Also my laptop is an Acer with a dual core 1.0 and built in graphics like I mentioned, although I do have 4 gigs of RAM which might be what lets me get by playing something like Oblivion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BlazinLow305 posted:

How new are those games and what type of RPG are they? Also my laptop is an Acer with a dual core 1.0 and built in graphics like I mentioned, although I do have 4 gigs of RAM which might be what lets me get by playing something like Oblivion.

1 and 2 are ancient. IIRC they're pretty brutal action rpgs.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah they're really old and really hard games if you're new, so you may find yourself referencing a FAQ here and there to find hidden stashes of equipment and easier solutions to quests and stuff. No shame in that. They shouldn't be missed, though, especially the second.

Gothic 3 came out around the same period as Oblivion but was apparently pretty bad. I didn't play it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'll check them out. For what it's worth, I never really liked clicky ones like Diablo. I got Titan's Quest recently which ran good on my computer, and although I enjoyed it mostly something about the really far zoomed back click fest games lose my interest really easily. I suppose I'll go find a youtube of the game play to see before I decide to get those.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
What's the best Lord of the Rings game? I just watched the Hobbit and it's got me seriously hankering for something that takes place in that same world. Mods and stuff are totally fine (although please don't mention Lotr Online).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Brownie posted:

What's the best Lord of the Rings game? I just watched the Hobbit and it's got me seriously hankering for something that takes place in that same world. Mods and stuff are totally fine (although please don't mention Lotr Online).

Either Battle for the Middle Earth 2 (RTS, sadly out of production) or Return of the King (Action RPG for the PC and PS2). I'd avoid the "Fellowship of the Ring" ones, and the "War of the Ring" RTS for PC.

Azran fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 6, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't know if it's the best LOTR game but War In The North is okay. Doesn't quite do justice to the setting but the gameplay is totally reasonable.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I haven't played them in years and years but The Two Towers and Return of the King were a blast to co-op on the PS2. I had the same hankering after watching the Hobbit and a friend recommended the Third Age mod for Medieval 2: Total War. I haven't tried it yet but he seems to love it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't know if it's the best LOTR game but War In The North is okay. Doesn't quite do justice to the setting but the gameplay is totally reasonable.

I've been looking at that game, what's the single player like? Is it like L4D where the AI controls the other characters or do you just go it solo?

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 6, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Return of the King rules, and War in the North is a pretty fun spiritual successor. Though they're definitely more hack n slash than RPG, especially RotK.

Edit: Also, the difficulty for War in the North ratchets up in co-op, especially for bosses.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 6, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Law posted:

I haven't played them in years and years but The Two Towers and Return of the King were a blast to co-op on the PS2. I had the same hankering after watching the Hobbit and a friend recommended the Third Age mod for Medieval 2: Total War. I haven't tried it yet but he seems to love it.

I've been looking at that game, what's the single player like? Is it like L4D where the AI controls the other characters or do you just go it solo?

The AI controls the other characters. Even equips them with loot and stuff I think. You can switch characters at the end of each level(maybe an hour long) but I've mostly just been playing as the Dwarf.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The AI controls the other characters. Even equips them with loot and stuff I think. You can switch characters at the end of each level(maybe an hour long) but I've mostly just been playing as the Dwarf.

Fantastic, I might it up if I see it on sale.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got it for $3.75 around Black Friday. This was from Green Man Gaming.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I recommend the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 Total War, too. It does some silly stuff regarding the Balrog (since you can't really have a super powerful one-man unit in the base game, hence it's represented as a unit of half a dozen Balrogs) but everything else is handled really well. The campaign is also pretty fun

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Thanks for the recommendations, all!

DrProsek posted:

This is more "Sell me on this game" I guess, but as of the latest patch, is Diablo III any good? Closest thing I can find to a consensus is the game is even if you enjoy the game, it isn't as good as Diablo II. I played the Starter Edition and like it so far but I've heard that the game's problems really become apparent after Act I and by Act IV it becomes an awful mess so I'm kinda worried that I'd be paying ~$50 to play the worst parts of the game.

I bought Diablo III at release and don't feel ripped off at all. The biggest problems it has is that loot is really boring, the story is dumb, and the endgame (i.e. Inferno) boils down to a really nice reskin of Progress Quest. That said, I think the 1-60 game is pretty excellent, the skill runes and the way they're doled out is excellent and always keeps the gameplay interesting because you constantly have new things to try. I would say the game's problems mostly become apparent in Inferno (including the dumb story, which is sort of dumb in a fun way the first time through, but on the 5th or 10th playthrough starts to be pretty grating). If you just want to play once through Normal difficulty (or even three times, through Hell difficulty) I think Diablo III is a pretty good time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is Uru worth a look? The whole MMO-puzzle thing and the weird fourthwall breaking RP type stuff confuses the heck out of me.

It's fun if you like the exploration aspect of the Myst games. I find a lot of the puzzles are a bit easier than Myst. You can also play the game completely in single player and ignore the MMO stuff entirely.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

BlazinLow305 posted:

I'll check them out. For what it's worth, I never really liked clicky ones like Diablo. I got Titan's Quest recently which ran good on my computer, and although I enjoyed it mostly something about the really far zoomed back click fest games lose my interest really easily. I suppose I'll go find a youtube of the game play to see before I decide to get those.

If you're looking for elf fantasy type games this won't interest you but Vampire the Masquerade bloodlines is one of my favorite western rpg type games that arn't archaic like Gothica and can still run on your computer. Don't let the whole trueblood goofy vampire thing turn you off like I thought it would. It's really accessible while still challenging and it's a 1st or 3rd person depending on your preferred playstyle with non-linear missions.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The thing about Diablo III is that the moment-to-moment gameplay is fun an engaging, hitting stuff feels weighty and kinetic, and the sound effects are great, and with all the environmental destruction it really feels like you're going around and wrecking poo poo, and making a huge mess while you're doing it, which is great.

The biggest problems I had with it were that you have to play through the same game 3 times before you have a complete character. That's incredibly boring to me. Make it two playthroughs before hitting the cap and we'll talk. Also, you never get to the point where you can press one button and light the entire screen up with ridiculous effects and kill everything like you did in Diablo II. The whole point of this type of game is that eventually you should be able to level your character into an unstoppable firestorm of death that can kill a screen full of enemies in seconds, and that never happens in Diablo III. And finally, the whole loot system was designed around the auction house, which means 99% of everything you find is boring crap which sucks all the fun out of finding new loot, and I really hope Blizzard learned their lesson after shooting themselves in the foot like that.

Overall it's fun to take a few characters through though, but it's definitely not something I'd find myself playing more than a couple months after I bought it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have anything for tactical turnbased squad gameplay? Something recent with ok graphics and a passable story, it's the gameplay that matters the most.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

Does anyone have anything for tactical turnbased squad gameplay? Something recent with ok graphics and a passable story, it's the gameplay that matters the most.

Hero Academy. No story, but it's turn-based and tons of fun.

Though I think Frozen Synapse will be more of what you're after.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Dongattack posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, already nerded X-Com hard, should have said that :) Will check out the others tho.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
Okay so this is a bit odd, but i really enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII and KOTOR because of the card game that was implemented into it, is there any games that have something similar? Not a flat out CCG but a game that has a CCG as part of it (and one thats probably better?) Something about collecting them and getting a better deck as a sidequest sort of thing was really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Okay so this is a bit odd, but i really enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII and KOTOR because of the card game that was implemented into it, is there any games that have something similar? Not a flat out CCG but a game that has a CCG as part of it (and one thats probably better?) Something about collecting them and getting a better deck as a sidequest sort of thing was really great.

Fallout: New Vegas has one of these, it's called Caravan and it's decently fun.