Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Godholio posted:

Buy a lottery ticket first. Not the best safety record.

Well aware, but they did manage to fly it semiregularly without hull loss incidents so I'd take my chances on a single flight, especially since now we have way better fatigue detection technology and such things. The "typical flight details" on Wikipedia sound hilarious (and terrifying).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

StandardVC10 posted:

The Tu-95 is quite fast for a turboprop and has pretty good legs, maybe the Tu-160 Blackjack could fly as far but they don't have very many of them.

One cool thing about the Tu-95 was that they made an airliner out of it, the Tu-114. They didn't make many but it was pretty quick and was basically the highest-capacity passenger plane in business when it entered service- almost as much as the DC-8 Super Sixty stretches. It was also pretty decent on gas. I've always wondered if that sort of concept could ever resurface as a dedicated civilian freighter, just a giant-rear end quickish turboprop to fill with stuff. Of course, a dedicated civilian freighter isn't something that ever really happens.
Modern high-bypass turbofans have become incredibly efficient, and have eclipsed turboprops for cost effectiveness and fuel efficiency in all but a handful of small niche applications. There's really no reason to go with a turboprop on much of anything anymore.

A high-bypass turbofan is essentially a many-bladed ducted turboprop, though, so maybe things have come full circle after all.

grover fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 4, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

grover posted:

Modern high-bypass turbofans have become incredibly efficient, and have eclipsed turboprops for cost effectiveness and fuel efficiency in all but a handful of small niche applications. There's really no reason to go with a turboprop on much of anything anymore.

A high-bypass turbofan is essentially a many-bladed ducted turboprop, though, so maybe things have come full circle after all.

I see. Your last remark reminds me of the Unducted Fan experiments from the eighties. They never made production but are pretty fun to look at.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrChips posted:

Supposedly, the Bear is actually a pretty reliable aircraft... :words:

Thread pulls through, again.

StandardVC10 posted:

I see. Your last remark reminds me of the Unducted Fan experiments from the eighties. They never made production but are pretty fun to look at.

:) Higher bypass? How much do you want?
:eng101: All of it!

Edit:Actually turboprops are heading in that direction, only reversed. http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Navy/Grumman-E-2D-Hawkeye/2088182/&sid=41887b9b123d05b21d40dc0ddc2265d0

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Bombardier/De-Havilland-Canada/2207287/&sid=a2785fca6a6136ac0493da6372b245f6

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 4, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

StandardVC10 posted:

The Russians (OK, the Ukrainians in this case) have gone a step further once again with the Antonov AN-70:

It is also one of the strangest sounding aircraft I've ever seen/heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAafPSWzpOw

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

About Dayton, come during the air show. http://www.daytonairshow.com/. We have a lot of local history if your into that thing, and good beer around here. Otherwise we are not far from Columbus or Cincinati, as others have mentioned.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

MrChips posted:

The Russians (OK, the Ukrainians in this case) have gone a step further once again with the Antonov AN-70:

It is also one of the strangest sounding aircraft I've ever seen/heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAafPSWzpOw

It sounds like a NASCAR car with an air raid siren on it.

Also, no big deal, but theres an AN-225 in that picture too.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

SwimNurd posted:

About Dayton, come during the air show. http://www.daytonairshow.com/. We have a lot of local history if your into that thing, and good beer around here. Otherwise we are not far from Columbus or Cincinati, as others have mentioned.

Wait, there's someone else in AI from the Dayton area? :monocle:

Most of the attractions in the area have already been covered (sadly, there aren't that many), but if you're into the museum thing, the Packard museum is a quick drive from Wright-Patt, and while it doesn't take that long to walk through, they've got a great collection and it's pretty affordable.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Alpine Mustache posted:

It sounds like a NASCAR car with an air raid siren on it.

Also, no big deal, but theres an AN-225 in that picture too.

'225, '124 and '70, it's like a russian cargo plane lover's (potentially wet) dream.

e: Also, fourth plane in the air, probably a L-39

SybilVimes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 5, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Remember those spitfires that were supposedly buried in a Burma during WW2? They're starting to dig today to see if they're really there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/04/spitfires-buried-in-burma-jungle_n_2409581.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Remember those spitfires that were supposedly buried in a Burma during WW2? They're starting to dig today to see if they're really there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/04/spitfires-buried-in-burma-jungle_n_2409581.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

If they don't take lots of pictures during the process I'll be irritated.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
I think these belong in here.

Short Story:
Yak 52, one of a couple dozen nosewheel Yaks. After touchdown, the nose gear retracted on its own from his initial hard bounce. The pilot kept it straight, and barely escaped the cockpit alive as it filled with thick black smoke.
He had named his bird "Lucky Me".

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Thyere had better be a damned good documentary about it too. Here's to hoping that they're in better shape than the 1957 Tulsa time-capsule Plymouth Belvedere

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-shows/time-capsule.html

To be fair, they basically dug a hole, dropped in a vault that wasn't waterproofed, and stuck the car in it. Turns out the vault flooded a few times over the years.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Crosspost from the awesome image thread. Figured it could go in here, too.

quote:

Imagine you’re aboard a commercial jet as it waits in the queue for takeoff. You look out the window and see a car pull up behind a passenger jet that’s already on the runway. Not just any car, but a rare 1970 Plymouth Superbird.

The Superbird was a homologation special, built in limited numbers to qualify it as a “production” car with the sole purpose being to dominate NASCAR. It had an aerodynamic, wedge-shaped nose that allowed it to hit 200 mph around tracks like Daytona and Talladega. A ridiculously tall wing provided downforce and stability and kept the car from going airborne, which is exactly what the jet in front of it is about to do.

The pilot pushes the throttles forward, sending 14,000 pounds of thrust rearward from each Pratt & Whitney JT8D turbofan engine. The driver of the Superbird grits his teeth, white knuckles clenching the wheel while the car shakes violently, and mashes the throttle pedal to the floor as the jet surges forward. The Plymouth gives chase, hanging close all the way to 100 mph. After about 20 seconds, the plane pulls away. Once it reaches 150 mph, the big 737 lifts off into the sky. The Superbird brakes, then turns around to do it all again.

Link

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

Thyere had better be a damned good documentary about it too. Here's to hoping that they're in better shape than the 1957 Tulsa time-capsule Plymouth Belvedere

http://www.allpar.com/history/auto-shows/time-capsule.html

To be fair, they basically dug a hole, dropped in a vault that wasn't waterproofed, and stuck the car in it. Turns out the vault flooded a few times over the years.

I don't understand the article about how they're entering the final stage of the search. They've searched and found them, they already dug a pilot hole and sent down a camera on a line and verified that yes, there's airplane there, so they know where a number of them already are. My understanding is that the "final stage" is that they're going to actually start excavating and digging the things up.

My big concern is that the Spits used magnesium rivets in aluminum bodies. So basically if any water got in there at all the airplane's probably turned into mud. But at the same time, even getting 124 Spitfire ID plates to turn into a flying reconstruction is a big deal.

Mosquito stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvp2AeM68iM

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 7, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

Crosspost from the awesome image thread. Figured it could go in here, too.

Link
That's awesome, but how the gently caress can the restoration cost $700,000? You could make every single component by hand and not spend that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Phanatic posted:

I don't understand the article about how they're entering the final stage of the search. They've searched and found them, they already dug a pilot hole and sent down a camera on a line and verified that yes, there's airplane there, so they know where a number of them already are. My understanding is that the "final stage" is that they're going to actually start excavating and digging the things up.

My big concern is that the Spits used magnesium rivets in aluminum bodies. So basically if any water got in there at all the airplane's probably turned into mud. But at the same time, even getting 124 Spitfire ID plates to turn into a flying reconstruction is a big deal.

Mosquito stuff:

The things people would rather have than money.

God bless each and every one of them. :allears:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Mosquito stuff:

Spitfires in general are really susceptible to corrosion; more than most WWII aircraft, actually. The wing spars in particular are vulnerable, as they're built up out of several sections of what amounts to square stock nested in one another. Lots of seemingly good restoration candidates get pulled apart only to find the spars are completely rotted out.

Also, that Mosquito is incredible.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ungh. :flashfap:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

MrChips posted:

Spitfires in general are really susceptible to corrosion; more than most WWII aircraft, actually. The wing spars in particular are vulnerable, as they're built up out of several sections of what amounts to square stock nested in one another. Lots of seemingly good restoration candidates get pulled apart only to find the spars are completely rotted out.

Also, that Mosquito is incredible.

Is it possible to just machine new spars?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Is it possible to just machine new spars?

It is certainly possible (there is even a company in the UK that builds new spars for Spitfires), but as you can imagine, it's astronomically expensive, and the work to rebuild the wing is very time-consuming. A wing spar replacement can easily double or triple the amount of time and money needed to complete a restoration.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 8, 2013

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why don't they just rebuild the entire wing. I've never understood this whole 'We built it once and now it's gone forever!' idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phanatic posted:

There is some conflicting stories about that. Yes, they seemed to have sent a camera down there and yes, there is something (although they have refused to release any images for some reason), but they've been reluctant to say for sure that is what they are from what I've read.

To be fair though, unless they got really lucky and saw something readily identifiable where they just happened to get into the crate, I don't know if they could tell without getting it out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Photo of a spitfire in a shipping crate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Captain Apollo posted:

Why don't they just rebuild the entire wing. I've never understood this whole 'We built it once and now it's gone forever!' idea.

Wartime and Peacetime economies and the way governments and individuals spend money are very, very different. Spitfires require a phenomenal amount of labour, and to make the cost of tooling and everything else worth it you'd have to produce hundreds of them, for a pretty penny, or very few for an outrageous amount. A company made some flying ME-262s (with modern engines for safety reasons) and the only reason that project was in any way feasible was there were no flying examples in the world and different associations were willing to pay top dollar for them.

I think there are enough flying and static spitfires out there that the demand to build "ground up" new ones isn't enough to offset the costs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blistex posted:

Wartime and Peacetime economies and the way governments and individuals spend money are very, very different. Spitfires require a phenomenal amount of labour, and to make the cost of tooling and everything else worth it you'd have to produce hundreds of them, for a pretty penny, or very few for an outrageous amount. A company made some flying ME-262s (with modern engines for safety reasons) and the only reason that project was in any way feasible was there were no flying examples in the world and different associations were willing to pay top dollar for them.

I think there are enough flying and static spitfires out there that the demand to build "ground up" new ones isn't enough to offset the costs.

English aircraft in general, and Spitfires in particular, had extremely labor intensive production processes. That also makes them very labor intensive to restore.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Could I interest you all in a recently declassified U-2 Flight Handbook from 1959? It even has cartoons!

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
I always found it amusing that the RAF had the Spitfire, which was this bleeding edge metal monocoque with stressed wings and all that...and then the Hurricane (essentially started out as a Hawker Fury biplane with the top wing sliced off) and the Mosquito (made out of balsa and plywood).

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Itzena posted:

I always found it amusing that the RAF had the Spitfire, which was this bleeding edge metal monocoque with stressed wings and all that...and then the Hurricane (essentially started out as a Hawker Fury biplane with the top wing sliced off) and the Mosquito (made out of balsa and plywood).

How do you leave the Fairey Swordfish out of a list of British aeronaughtical shenanigans?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

English aircraft in general, and Spitfires in particular, had extremely labor intensive production processes. That also makes them very labor intensive to restore.

Is this compared to German and American designs? And if that's true...why? Union rules?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm a bit late to the party on rebuild costs, but to put things in perspective, a person I know has had a new nosegear assembly made for his Gannet and that item alone was over a million pounds.

It can be done but the costs tend to be prohibitive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My god, how much do machinists make nowadays?

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

smackfu posted:

My god, how much do machinists make nowadays?

You don't Randy the neighborhood machinist work on landing gear assemblies for a priceless 70-year old aircraft.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That and I imagine that an engineer or two had a look at the thing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Blistex posted:

That's the thing; flying Spitfires aren't exactly rare....there's something like 40-50 or so, with another half dozen being restored right now. Beyond that, there are lots of candidates for restoration at any given price level; we aren't at the point, as Blistex said, that it would make sense to rebuild a Spitfire from a data plate only; we're barely past the point where the best statics have already been restored.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this compared to German and American designs? And if that's true...why? Union rules?

To American designs, yes, the Brits built very complex aircraft. The Germans, like the cars they build today, built very complicated, highly technical aircraft which required a lot of depot-level maintenance; partly because of their complexity, but also because of their relatively limited pool of skilled mechanics.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MrChips posted:

as Blistex said, that it would make sense to rebuild a Spitfire from a data plate only; we're barely past the point where the best statics have already been restored.
I have a real problem with supposed "restorations" that don't actually include any of the original; it's not so much a restoration as a replica and should be treated as such. Especially when it's all done at once.

ickna
May 19, 2004

grover posted:

I have a real problem with supposed "restorations" that don't actually include any of the original; it's not so much a restoration as a replica and should be treated as such. Especially when it's all done at once.

I never understood this, either, and would love for someone to enlighten me. How does slapping an antique data plate on a newly built plane classify it as a restoration? It would make sense if 51% of the original plane was still intact and they built on that, then called it a restoration.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

grover posted:

That is a huge debate in the warbird community; when does a restoration stop being an original aircraft and becomes a reproduction? In some cases, like the Me-262s, there is simply no other option than building a new aircraft. In the case of anything else, my personal preference would be to keep as much of the original as possible while still maintaining an airworthy aircraft.

Really, it's the exact same argument as goes on in the vintage car community; that of rebuild, restore or preserve.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

A lot of it has to do with regulations. "Ah, you have a warbird... with a transponder in it, excellent here are the general avation restrictions." vs "Ah, an experemental aircraft, have fun never leaving line of sight of an airport without filing a flight plan, or over a city or highway until you've jumped through all these hoops."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ickna posted:

I never understood this, either, and would love for someone to enlighten me. How does slapping an antique data plate on a newly built plane classify it as a restoration? It would make sense if 51% of the original plane was still intact and they built on that, then called it a restoration.

There is always the philosophical problem of originality. "This is my grandfather's axe, I've replaced the head twice, and the handle three times"

With wooden ships, it is the keel that makes it a restored original rather than a replica. So, the Cutty Sark burned to the waterline, but that's ok, they've still got the keel, so they can rebuild it, and it is still the Cutty Sark, rather than a replica Cutty Sark. Of course, they can also replace the keel later, that is just a maintenance item.