Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm mostly interested to see where Monomi's character will lead now and if she'll try to assist the students despite being controlled by Monobear. I also think that her "transformation" was handled much better than I expected. My expectation was that she'd just sort of go "whoops I'm actually evil!" and then become Monomi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Gabriel Pope posted:

But it will be interesting to see what might actually be preventing them from leaving the island.

If I had to guess, it would be the giant loving robots Monobear just summoned.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

FPzero posted:

I'm mostly interested to see where Monomi's character will lead now and if she'll try to assist the students despite being controlled by Monobear. I also think that her "transformation" was handled much better than I expected. My expectation was that she'd just sort of go "whoops I'm actually evil!" and then become Monomi.
Well it isn't that she's controlled by Monobear per say, she's just completely and utterly powerless and therefore won't be able to do much to assist the students. Then again judging from how easily Monobear overpowered her, it might be safe to say she didn't have much power to begin with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Monobear will probably add new rules as the game progresses. The specifics will almost certainly differ from DR1. I'm guessing that Monomi will eventually reclaim some of her influence on the process, though obviously not enough to get rid of the murder aspect.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Given that Sakura could take on MB in a fight with both of them surviving, whatever Tool was sitting back watching DR1 probably reasoned that a small, albeit explosive, robot is no match for a titantic SHSL martial artist, or to a lesser extent ANYBODY with physical based SHSL skills. Therefore, you need a bigger robo-- No, gently caress that, you need SEVERAL bigger robots for your evil brute squad. While it'd be something if all of DR2's jocks had a "charge of the light brigade" moment, they couldn't likely take out more than one of those suckers before being taken out.

...But that silly musing aside, if MB is treating Monomi like a younger sibling, and the Twins are stone dead, maybe this was more of a shout out/clue to Alter Ego being stuck in the robo-rabbit costume and MB's AI is regarding her as a pesky little twerp who's getting in the way of his plans?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anybody else feeling really, really sorry for Usami? I just want to cringe every time Monobear hurts her, and I suspect I'll be cringing a lot from here on. I'm just surprised how much I can care about the happiness of a two-dimensional (literarily, not just literally) glob of pixels.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
I really hope that Gundam is the one to somehow defeat the giant robots. Preferably in some sort of hamster mecha. :allears:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
On the one hand, we know from the first game that Monobear is stupidly powerful at fighting despite being a stuffed bear robot - so the students starting a rumble would have probably ended up in us losing a bunch of characters right off the bat. So it's not a surprise Monobear again contrives up some kind of intimidation factor like Gungnir to make everyone back down.

On the other hand, seeing this group in action would have likely moved me to tears (i mean goddamn Akane holy poo poo what battle anime did you come out of)

Oh, what could have been.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Monomi's colour scheme had been bothering me ever since she showed up after the title screen, glad to see it rectified! And I am honestly loving just how sudden and sheer the change of tone was as soon as Monobear showed up. Gotta love him.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anybody else feeling really, really sorry for Usami? I just want to cringe every time Monobear hurts her, and I suspect I'll be cringing a lot from here on. I'm just surprised how much I can care about the happiness of a two-dimensional (literarily, not just literally) glob of pixels.

I felt worse when I realized Monobear stuck her in a diaper.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Pyradox posted:

Occam's Razor means finding the explanation with the fewest unfounded assumptions. The existance of full on matrix technology is a pretty major unfounded assumption. Everything that's happened still fits in with the stuff we're familiar with from DR1, just with a different setup. It's much simpler to just take it at face value - Monobear got here before they did and replaced the statue, then he hid while Usami was doing her thing. The only major unexplained thing is the weather changing but we simply don't have enough information to come up with a decent explanation for it.

The reason this stuff resembles DR1 and makes reference to it is because the game designers are specifically trying to screw with people who played the previous game. These games have a weak fourth wall anyway, you don't need to come up with an elaborate computer simulation theory to explain it. Especially because the fact that this is literally a computer simulation (i.e. a video game) means any evidence that it's a matrix simulation can just as easily be chalked up to "it's a game". That's literally the one theory that unless the game draws specific attention to it cannot be supported just through conjecture.

Fair enough. Bad use of the term Occam's razor. Let me examine my feelings and try to explain myself a little better.

To me, the elephant in the room, the thing that leans me towards the virtual reality explanation the most, is 'memory manipulation'... every over-the-top thing that is revealed just adds to that pile for me. I have a sneaking suspicion that a) I've probably got confirmation bias going on, and b) the students may not to be actual, live real humans (or, perhaps, not ALL), but personality amalgams. AIs, like Alter Ego. That's the thing that makes the most sense to me. I think I may have been waiting for that shoe to drop since the last game, in fact.

It's just that switcharooing points of data ought to be a ton easier than messing with real, live brains who ought to have -all- sorts of icky biological reasons for why it would be difficult, bloody hard in fact, to muck about inside them. I'm not debating the facts of Dangan Ronpa Zero (whatever they may end up being), or whether or not the Despair Event happened, or perhaps even the events of Dangan Ronpa 1. That all might have Been Real (tm)! But the events of this game? I'm already doubting they're Real real, I really am. Or at least, I'm doubting the -degree- to which they're real.

It's just that we've been taking the existence of AI and memory manipulation at (some) face value since the last game, and I keep thinking 'ok, so if both of these things exist, perhaps one is the explanation for the other'? It just makes -sense- to me that if you can create AI and you have a proven ability to mess with memories, you can create AI who believes itself to be human, and have human memories, and, oh happy day, wouldn't that make messing with memory reeeal easy? You could happily mix and match personality traits and appearances then, and that leads -so- well into what we're seeing in DR2. It could explain why a 'dead' mastermind is still plodding about; she either was AI all along, or she's safe in the 'real world', or she uploaded herself before dying in the last game. Her brand of crazy could have done any number of things with access to that kind of science, and I see few reasons why she WOULDN'T have, if she had the ability to.

Also, I don't want to accept the explanation of 'a weak fourth wall' for why some of these students are -uncannily- like students from the previous game. There's got to be some rhyme and reason for that. If the real reason really just is 'we wanted to play with expectations', I'd be a little disappointed. Which -would- be my due reward for falling for it. Dangan Ronpa is the game that messes with expectations, so if I'm expecting something you can bet your rear end I'm probably dead wrong, but hey, at least I tried to make some sense of it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It was disturbing and yet really really goofy.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Am I the only one that noticed the personalized onomatopeia? I thought it was kind of amusing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I didn't really expect to become so attached to her, myself. Until some curveball gets thrown later on, I fully choose to believe that she's being genuine about building hope and morale and all that good stuff and seeing it get thrown aside for Monobear's own purposes is just :saddowns: (even if the trials are legitimately more engaging gameplay-wise.)

I wonder if this is going to affect the "Pet" function in the menu any?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kringlorr posted:

I really hope that Gundam is the one to somehow defeat the giant robots. Preferably in some sort of hamster mecha. :allears:

I'm retaining hope that our SHSL Coach starts to train the crew to fight the robots.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Miss Kalle posted:

I didn't really expect to become so attached to her, myself. Until some curveball gets thrown later on, I fully choose to believe that she's being genuine about building hope and morale and all that good stuff and seeing it get thrown aside for Monobear's own purposes is just :saddowns: (even if the trials are legitimately more engaging gameplay-wise.)

I'm not convinced that Usami isn't in league with SHSL Despair. Her telling the students to "Just forget about Hope's Peak", our MC's own feelings that something isn't right with the setup, and the fact that she very clearly knew who Monobear was (outright saying his name) before he even introduced himself.

This really leaves either her being an intentionally poor representation of hope, or her being controlled by someone who has encountered Monobear before. Is there some unknown hope-aligned third party? Would one of the DR1 survivors really do such a bad job at it? Maybe Kirigiri controlling Usami and ending up with a really awkward/forced representation of "hope" because something happened to Naegi would be believable, but it still feels like a stretch. And despite being comic relief, I think Aoi or Hagakure could do a better job. Plus there's the fact that the students were memory wiped and brought to this island, and the fact that the Monozoids just happened to be there already.

In spite of this, I have to agree that the scene was very powerful and disturbing. I felt bad for Usami, and then felt bad for feeling bad because I still suspect her. Well played, game.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Rawkking posted:

I'm not convinced that Usami isn't in league with SHSL Despair. Her telling the students to "Just forget about Hope's Peak", our MC's own feelings that something isn't right with the setup, and the fact that she very clearly knew who Monobear was (outright saying his name) before he even introduced himself.

This really leaves either her being an intentionally poor representation of hope, or her being controlled by someone who has encountered Monobear before. Is there some unknown hope-aligned third party? Would one of the DR1 survivors really do such a bad job at it? Maybe Kirigiri controlling Usami and ending up with a really awkward/forced representation of "hope" because something happened to Naegi would be believable, but it still feels like a stretch. And despite being comic relief, I think Aoi or Hagakure could do a better job. Plus there's the fact that the students were memory wiped and brought to this island, and the fact that the Monozoids just happened to be there already.

There's always the possibility that she was originally on Monobear's side, but then changed alignments sometime before the game's events -- though that just raises the question of why she would have even been necessary on his team in the first place, and why she was made the way she was. Either way, it's still too early to call.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...You know, there's one thing that's been bothering me... Usami was saying that if she just had her wand, she could've beaten him, and as we know, she got distracted and disarmed... I'm somehow guessing that the stick was some sort of hacking or EMP device or some such equivalent that actually would have worked to stop or at least slow down Monobear. But maybe I'm just overthinking things, and it really was just a toy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The one question I have: are the Re: tracks different in any way from their DR1 counterparts? Does the "Re:" stand for "reply to", or "recycled"?

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Suspicious Dish posted:

The one question I have: are the Re: tracks different in any way from their DR1 counterparts? Does the "Re:" stand for "reply to", or "recycled"?

I've seen it used in the context of "remake" or "remix" like the ports/remakes of the various Kingdom Hearts titles, for example. So, I'd expect they are remixed versions of the original songs.

windylion
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, of all things, I was not expecting robots. I don't really want anyone to die, but since it's inevitable, I hope the robots get used. There's no way it's not going to be hilarious.

Mukuro Junko had a rabbit as a hair clip, right? Was it the Usami-like rabbit or was it a Monomi-like rabbit?

Edit: By the way, Togami could have been faking his reaction. So far we don't know how, or if, he's related to DR1's Togami, but if he is the same character it wouldn't surprise me if he faked his reaction to stay "in disguise."

windylion fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 6, 2013

persistentminiboss
Feb 16, 2012

Gabriel Pope posted:

Given Monobear's personality, I'm pretty sure that he means "no" and is just leaving the possibility dangling in order to gently caress with the students. But it will be interesting to see what might actually be preventing them from leaving the island.

I hope that during the very last trial, Monobear casually mentions that technically they could have still gotten off the island by gathering Hope Shards too, but he's glad they went with the more entertaining option.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Many goons posted:

It's a VR simulation.

Let's examine this terrible idea and its many various practical applications. Not from the point of view of whether or not it makes sense and the likelihood of it being true, but from the point of view of assuming that it definitely is true:

• Characters don't necessarily have to look like themselves. This allows survivors of the previous Despair thingy to infiltrate the current travesty. This idea is somewhat undermined by Definitely Not Naegi and Togami But Fat, PS: Don't Look At My Name. Alternately we could also have characters we've never met looking nothing like themselves, thereby defeating the entire purpose of doing so.

• Characters don't have to be real. They could be sentient AI constructs. And they could be programmed to not know they're sentient AI constructs, so you wouldn't have to foreshadow the reveal. And then you don't have to even be a good writer to have shocking plot twists! (See also: The Battlestar Galactica remake)

• If characters are AI constructs, they can be retreads of old Dangan Ronpa 1 characters and their character arcs. (See "Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu is a cross-dresser" theory for reference.) This way the game doesn't have to do anything new, and can instead just be a remake of the game directly preceding it. Two years earlier. On the same system. And created for an audience expecting a sequel.

• DEATH! :black101: If people die in the VR simulation, they don't have to die for real, thus rendering the whole notion of the grim specter of death looming above everyone entirely pointless. Or alternately, they can die for real if they die in the VR simulation, thus instead making the whole VR simulation aspect of this game of death completely pointless! Hooray!

Does any of this conclusively prove that this definitely isn't a VR simulation? Not even a tiny bit. So what did we learn, then? Only that goons are some jaded people to look at this game and immediately jump to the conclusion that it's going to have the worst plot imaginable.

Walnut69
Oct 17, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Some of them have minor differences from the originals, but for all intents and purposes, they are indeed reused tracks from DR1.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

C-Euro posted:

I really hope all the mechanics from the intro (hope shards, that Usami tamagotchi or whatever) were all just red herrings and are now completely gone, that would be too funny.

Maybe. But Monobear never actually says the Hope Shard win condition is no longer in effect. He implies it - saying "no one wants to play that kind of game" and "I'm changing the rules" - but he doesn't say he's overwriting the old rules, just that he's adding new ones.

The dialog actually seems to go out of its way to highlight this possibility, just a bit - when asked if people won't be able to get off the island without killing, he says, "Who knows?"

So - hope shards. Still a thing? I dunno. This seems so obvious to me that I'd hate to see the characters not think of it. And if the characters think of it, it won't work, because then we wouldn't have a game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Despair is never as crushing unless there's a flicker of hope at the end of the tunnel that slowly gets suffocated. I can guarantee the hope shards mechanic is still in. I can also guarantee that if the kids were smart and decided to go that route, Monobear would keep inventing new, increasingly dire motives to deter them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

persistentminiboss posted:

I hope that during the very last trial, Monobear casually mentions that technically they could have still gotten off the island by gathering Hope Shards too, but he's glad they went with the more entertaining option.

Considering the tomogachi thing, I don't actually buy that Hope Shards are going awya.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
drat, that was an effective prologue. I already don't want to see any of these characters die. :smith:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Only a possibility, but I think it's too early to say that Togami doesn't recognize Monobear.

Similarly, Monobear might not recognize Togami because he might presently be under the control of someone who wasn't involved in the first game and didn't meet him before.

Even if it's a different person controlling Monobear, they would probably recognize him, considering the events of the first game were broadcast. And if the new controller didn't see the broadcast, for them to become the new headmaster they'd probably have to have done their research on the school and its previous students anyway.

Though like you said, it's too early to say whether or not they recognize each other. It's been one scene and they haven't interacted at all yet.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't know; maybe it's just my paranoia acting up, but I can definitely see her being the good cop to Monobear's bad cop. If they're both controlled by the same person, or two people with the same 'Despair!' philosophy, it'd also be more despairing come the reveal that the person/rabbit you thought was your best friend and the only person you could trust was just as bad, if not worse than the bear trying to kill all of you off.

Also, while it's indeed laudable that the students' first reaction was to try carve Monobear in half, I'm wondering how things would go now that the Monobots have been revealed. I don't see Nekomaru or Peko giving in so easily, and Fuyuhiko's probably going to fight back in sheer obstinacy- but I can definitely see people like Kazuichi and Teruteruu thinking that their fellow students would be a better target.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Even if it's a different person controlling Monobear, they would probably recognize him, considering the events of the first game were broadcast.

I'm not actually sure this was the case- after all, didn't we only have Monobear's word about that?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
EDIT: Yeah, I guess it's worthless speculation at this point.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 6, 2013

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?
It's seems likely that Usami was also built by the Despair group. I mean who would program a robot to have the ability to feel pain besides a bunch of sadistic psychos?

Kringlorr fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 4, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Am I the only one thinking that the Arkanoid LP by Monobear's VA is great? It is refreshing to hear her natural voice.

I am thinking that DR2 is set after DR1, by the way. Junko is flamboyant and does not like to hold back; but even with her total control in DR1, she has never used such powers. Therefore, one can deduce that they were not available to her in DR1, and if Junko, as the head of SHSL Despair group, cannot find a way to do such things in a despair-filled world, then it is safe to assume that such technology/magic simply did not exist when DR1 occurs.

Another alternative would be that they are in some virtual reality, but I would prefer the plot not to go that way - even if it is a "die in simulation and you die for real" situation, that is still a cheap trope.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them
What if all these students, Hinata included, are from SHSL Despair? I mean, if we go off the 'SHSL' they're all student aged people who are talented at what they do.

Just a theory, though. I've been rereading DR1 and thinking 'what if?'...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Hey. Stupid question here, but weren't we told to not flood the thread with completely baseless speculation about the game considering the plot has barely loving started?

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

njsykora posted:

I'm retaining hope that our SHSL Coach starts to train the crew to fight the robots.
The Coach is right out of JoJo's Bizarre adventure and it's awesome. Especially when his sentences get all LOUD AND MACHO RIGHT AT THE EEEEEEEEEND.

I think the theorizing here is fun but there's a lot of posters doing it and I hope no one takes it as seriously here as they did the Junko reveal from the last thread. At this point I feel like there's not really anything worth theorizing much about, and we should relax and enjoy the crazy train.

Besides, I don't think there was anywhere near this level of theorizing at this point in the game in the last thread.

Gaulems
Jan 3, 2013

i wish i knew who changed my avatar so i could marry them
Also, I find a good number of these characters a lot more likable thus far as opposed the DR1 characters, but that might be subject to change over time as the LP just started. So far Sonia, Souda, and Gundam are my favorites. Nidai and Akane are pretty awesome, too.

Even if it's early on, who is everyone's favorite character thus far?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gaulems posted:

Even if it's early on, who is everyone's favorite character thus far?
Are you trying to get the thread locked again? No. Don't.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Since there seem to be some confusion: Junko and Mukuro were indeed twins. The thing is, in Japan even twins are spearated into the older sibling and the younger sibling -- not just as something kept at the back of the mind, but as something constantly referenced. Linguistically, Japanese has separate words for big brother/sister and little brother/sister, and that's how twins refer to each other, and how people around them refer to them. You always know which of the pair came out first.

I haven't read any papers about the social/psychological implications of this in real life (though I'm sure there are some), but in fiction this is very often reflected by using the regular tropes for older/younger siblings even if the age difference is just a couple of minutes.

Fishbait
Apr 25, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

I made a gang tag that I feel accurately represents the posters in this thread.

(this is just a joke please don't get mad)

Sincerely hoping that this gets used, seeing as it's awesome and both threads have provided a ton of worthy targets.

As for the update, that last video cured my doubts about whether this could possibly measure up to the first game. The new cast is fun (how could anyone named Gundam not be amazing?) and I'd been enjoying the plot so far, but Monobear's return and the fact there would be trials again had me concerned things might be a little repetitive... and then Monobots happened. :stare:

Instant restoration of faith that this will be just as wild a ride as the original. I'd been wondering when Usami was going to change to match the art I'd seen, but somehow I didn't really think they'd literally bring Monobear back or that the transformation would go anything like that.

Fishbait fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 6, 2013

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Wow does this thread have a lot of stupid... I can't even call it speculation, speculation is extrapolating from ideas presented in the work, whereas 'omg monomi must be an evil robot created by SHSL Despair to make the idea of hope look stupid' is just wild guessing. I know everyone wants to be the one who miraculously guesses something in the first few updates like the Junko thing from the last thread, but nobody else wants to watch that mess. Please don't get the thread locked again.

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...You know, there's one thing that's been bothering me... Usami was saying that if she just had her wand, she could've beaten him, and as we know, she got distracted and disarmed... I'm somehow guessing that the stick was some sort of hacking or EMP device or some such equivalent that actually would have worked to stop or at least slow down Monobear. But maybe I'm just overthinking things, and it really was just a toy.

If we take everything the game has presented so far at face value (probably a mistake, but I prefer it to making poo poo up), Monomi's stick certainly had some kind of power. I mean, it was what she used to bring them here in the first place. Add in the fact that Monobear bothered to take her by surprise and break it and you come to the conclusion it must have presented some kind of threat to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I'm going to say just for future reference i think we should keep the reaction posts speculation free until at least the chapter starts, and instead of making grand game long predictions we just keep it to no predictions or really near sighted ones/

"I think X was killed in this way because of X, Y, Z", can lead to far more discussion and less stupidity than,
"Spontaneous endgame assumption" that's here for the sole purpose or repeatedly bringing up every chapter, where you quote yourself and selectively take words out of conversations.

I don't think we're trying to redo JUNKOS, I'm just beginning to think people are confusing posts with content being long aka full of theories from a post that has a constructed thought. As long as the post isn't "lol isn't that kawaii" I think it'll be off to a decent start.

I think commentary about how the characters seem to be getting a bit more fleshed out to start with then before is interesting.
Maybe it's because of the last game but after this update and comparing it to my reactions to the first, the characters feel somewhat less, generic, for lack of a better word.

• Locked thread