Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Last Transmission posted:

I'd like to recommend your evil twin's LP of the 2009 Wolfenstein game. It is almost over so now is the perfect time to watch the backlog in time for the finale.

From the very beginning his style has been very laid back and informative. He can easily carry the commentary without guests because his knowledge about the game as well as all the other titles of the Wolfenstein franchise is nigh inexhaustable.
In addition to playing on the hardest difficulty your evil twin also shows off the location of every collectible as well as the depth of the black market upgrade system and the insanely powerful arsenal you get out of it.

The videos themselves are well edited with some of his more interesting deaths left in. And his montages of memorable occasions are used sparingly, yet to great effect.
Oh, and because the game wasn't challenging enough your evil twin went above the call of duty and made a mod for the game midway through the LP and shows off why he changed certain things to make the game more fun instead of a total cakewalk.

Everyone should watch this LP, it's great and I adore his little killing spree montages. As an aside, the mod really makes the game feel very retro and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein-ey" in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
I would like to plug the thread No Dine. No Knox. No Fair. No [Color]. Let's Play Umineko no Naku Koro Ni! by Shiny777. It is a sound novel (which, as I understand it, is a visual novel with an emphasis on the soundtrack) with no real interactivity at all. Most of that goes on in your own head as your try to wrap it around the things that are going on. At its heart, it's a murder mystery/whodunnit that deals with the intricacies of family and the occult. I think people who are enjoying the Dangan Ronpa threads, or games like Pheonix Wright, 999, or Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward might be into it.

This isn't usually my type of thing at all, but I am glad I gave the thread a chance, because as things pick up, they really pick up. Just understand it essentially is a novel at heart, and so exciting things don't start happening right away. But there are a lot of characters and things to establish, and I think the authors and translators have done a surprisingly good job so far. And most, uh, 'anime creepiness' seems to get out of the way pretty early.

It is still relatively early on--the thread plans to cover two games of four episodes each, and twenty-one sizable updates in, and we are still only in the middle of the first. So it is early enough to catch up if you set aside a few hours to read through it all. The updates haven't always been frequent, but maybe if some more people check it out and get into the discussion it could pick up.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not to mention doing a 3DS LP is close to impossible

That's a real shame, there's a few 3DS games I'd like to see LPed. :sigh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's just going to take time. There's a couple people that have already cracked the hardware, it won't be much longer before someone decides to start working on an emulator. It may take another year or three, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see one, even if it'll be poo poo to start with.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Some LPs for handhelds have been done without emulators, the Ouendan games come to mind. Of course they're a bit of a special case.

Also you should watch those LPs because they're great with a lot of catchy music and badass stylus skills.

Especially this one, the fact that nobody could get it out of their heads became a gag for a short while in the thread itself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I recall a person who will install capture hardware on the 3DS, allowing you to capture 3DS video (in 2D of course) on your PC. Of course, it's also very expensive, so it's really only an option for those with a lot of money to burn.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JosephWongKS' Choice of Kung Fu thread is great fun, with explanations for terms and a resident master of creating Chinese proverbs. With the help of the people participating in the thread he's turned what could be an incredibly boring LP into one that I've been checking obsessively. Overall, it's a great thread full of great people, and I think many people would enjoy learning of the Way of the Panda.

It's not an epic that takes hours to read, but it's fun and the updates are incredibly quick.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

I recall a person who will install capture hardware on the 3DS, allowing you to capture 3DS video (in 2D of course) on your PC. Of course, it's also very expensive, so it's really only an option for those with a lot of money to burn.

http://www.3dscapture.com/

I've considered buying a 3DS, but yeah, it's expensive, and the capture hardware doesn't do 3D, nor does it capture things like accelerometer data, which I would need for any games I would like to LP.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
First, I'm looking for an LP I read over a year ago. It was mostly text with images (that were all broken by the time I got to the thread) and the game was this crappily translated Russian horror where a disease was killing people in this town that was shaped like a pig. You played one of 3 characters sent to investigate the disease. I remember it having very frustrating and difficult gameplay and being very unforgiving, but the whole concept of the game was super interesting.

Does anyone remember this game, and/or can you suggest an LP similar to it? I was reminded of it by Dark Souls, which has similarly frustrating gameplay.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

discount dogs posted:

First, I'm looking for an LP I read over a year ago. It was mostly text with images (that were all broken by the time I got to the thread) and the game was this crappily translated Russian horror where a disease was killing people in this town that was shaped like a pig. You played one of 3 characters sent to investigate the disease. I remember it having very frustrating and difficult gameplay and being very unforgiving, but the whole concept of the game was super interesting.

Does anyone remember this game, and/or can you suggest an LP similar to it? I was reminded of it by Dark Souls, which has similarly frustrating gameplay.
Might it have been Pathologic?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

discount dogs posted:

Are you thinking of Pathologic? There's four LPs, one on the forums that needs archives (broken images), one on the LP Archive site and two that were abandoned.

e: f,b

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

discount dogs posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I think Pathologic is what you were looking for. I know this game has three characters and it's Russian, so that's what makes me think it's what you want.

Edit: Beaten like a red-headed step child.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

ViggyNash posted:

Is anyone doing a Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward LP? I just heard about this game, but I don't plan to drop money on a Vita or 3Ds just to play it.
as previously stated, the ability to cleanly capture 3DS footage is not widely available yet, and I guess Vita is still too new as well.

Supergreatfriend is steaming 999 on Saturdays right now I think you can find that and the previous recordings here, and there are completed LPs of the company's other games, Ever17 and Remember11, that are sitting in the limbo where their threads are archived but they are not up on lparchive yet.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

as previously stated, the ability to cleanly capture 3DS footage is not widely available yet, and I guess Vita is still too new as well.

Supergreatfriend is steaming 999 on Saturdays right now I think you can find that and the previous recordings here, and there are completed LPs of the company's other games, Ever17 and Remember11, that are sitting in the limbo where their threads are archived but they are not up on lparchive yet.

You could also watch them on his youtubes where he's conveniently been uploading them. Chat window included!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNOrCrfvfs

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Yeah, it's not an official LP of the game but it's been pretty fun to watch/participate in, and I don't think anyone would oppose recommending SGF's offsite stuff here.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
...I gotta say, I am really skeptical of a 999 video stream. I mean, the game has a lot of text for a screenshot Let's Play. I'll watch in a bit, but that's a tough sell to me, I'm sorry.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I just got the last two endings in 999 last night, and dude, that's not even a Let's Play at that point. I'm a fast reader and the last ending still took me like at least 3 hours of reading to finish up or something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Might be nice to have a full run through of Pathologic with all three characters.

I mean, given that the gameplay is atrocious it would take huge amounts of patience to do so I'm not really expecting anyone to do it, but I think it would be cool, given how many good things I've heard about the game.

discount dogs
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the speedy as hell replies with Pathologic, guys!

I would like to see a full run through as well. As far as I know, between the LP Archives and the one on the forums, two out of three characters have been played all the way through.

Does anyone know of LPs of games that are similar? Something heavily story-driven and/or with really interesting gameplay?

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

slowbeef posted:

...I gotta say, I am really skeptical of a 999 video stream. I mean, the game has a lot of text for a screenshot Let's Play. I'll watch in a bit, but that's a tough sell to me, I'm sorry.

I've played the game multiple times now, and I have been watching the streams while I do other stuff and it's been fine., but I don't think it is a very good way to experience the game. I just sort of like SGF's approach a lot, but the chat full of people all seem to have been expecting something else and it gets off to a rough start. Once things start really happening, it all starts to work a bit better, but by then nearly 4 hours of chat have gone by.

I always think of streaming as a more convenient version of showing a friend a cool game you have been playing when they come over.. "Hey, look at this cool game for a minute." 999 is absolutely not that game.

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't really recommend it to people who are looking to see what the game is about. It'll give a not so hot first impression.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

discount dogs posted:

Thanks for the speedy as hell replies with Pathologic, guys!

I would like to see a full run through as well. As far as I know, between the LP Archives and the one on the forums, two out of three characters have been played all the way through.

Does anyone know of LPs of games that are similar? Something heavily story-driven and/or with really interesting gameplay?

You might want to check out CannibalK9's VLP of The Void, the second game from Icepick Lodge, who developed Pathologic. Except they translated The Void in house, so it doesn't have the, ah, unique linguistic stylings of Pathologic.

And I don't know that there really needs to be a single LP that does a complete run of all three Pathologic characters. The most difficult one's already been covered (the "Devotress"), and by someone (woodenchicken) who understood the Russian so could provide a more natural and intelligible translation. The original Pathologic LP (the Bachelor's route) by Brass Monkey was also excellent and would cover that character pretty thoroughly if the images could be salvaged and the LP itself added to the Archive. That leaves either one route that no one has ever successfully completed, or that plus a redo on the Bachelor if Brass Monkey's original run can't be recovered.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So this is going to be the vaguest request ever but I'm looking for video LPs that are legitimately funny. I don't really care if the gameplay or story is good, I just want to watch videos that make laugh. I have a lot of respect for Let's Plays that try to be humorous, but I find most of them fall flat for me. I really loved the Mercenaries 2 LP that Lithuanian Dad and Dan did, as well as the Tipping 40s Goldene Eye LP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

RChimp Cola and Sintrapod's Resident Evil 5 LP is legitimately the funniest LP I've seen so far, and one of the funniest internet things I've seen period.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
ThornBrain usually works with slower games, like Zelda and the 3D Bomberman games. But if you give him and his crew something silly and fast-paced, magic happens.

It's pretty funny, is what I'm getting at.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

So this is going to be the vaguest request ever but I'm looking for video LPs that are legitimately funny. I don't really care if the gameplay or story is good, I just want to watch videos that make laugh. I have a lot of respect for Let's Plays that try to be humorous, but I find most of them fall flat for me. I really loved the Mercenaries 2 LP that Lithuanian Dad and Dan did, as well as the Tipping 40s Goldene Eye LP.

I finally got around to watching the rest of Sonic 2006 (I hadn't watched Shadow's and Silver's stories before), so that's going to be my recommendation for that. I found them legitimately funny.

You could always go back to the Freelance Astronauts and their Twilight Princess run. That's pretty good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

slowbeef posted:

He's also going through it blind.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Suspicious Dish posted:

You could always go back to the Freelance Astronauts and their Twilight Princess run. That's pretty good.

Their New Super Mario Bros. Wii LP was great too, as is the Mass Effect one. You need to watch at least the first three or four videos of Mass Effect, after that things wind down a bit.

Finally, if you don't hate D&D 4E there's the ongoing thread with Syrg as DM. He's the anything goes style of DM and the players like take advantage of that fairly often. There's a rather large backlog (massive if you go through the first thread, but you don't have to) and a lot of extra content (Gen. Ironicus' 13th Age run is pretty amazing and has most of the same players with a couple extra) so it's great if you just want to throw something on in the background, whether that's the podcasts or videos.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
A funny video LP?

Hopkins: FBI

Everyone, everyone needs to experience this game. Just be warned that there's some nudity and gore, usually combined.

The sheer amount of :psyduck: in the thread makes it worth reading as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I totally forgot about that one. Go watch Hopkins: FBI.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Speaking of funny, though not in the same vein as RChimp or ThornBrain, but it seems that Yahtzee is doing video LP's of horrid adventure games and they're actually quite fun to watch. I'd say it's worth checking out his channel is you enjoy his humor: http://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19?feature=g-high-rec especially with how well he works off his friend Gabe.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I finally got around to watching the rest of Sonic 2006 (I hadn't watched Shadow's and Silver's stories before), so that's going to be my recommendation for that. I found them legitimately funny.

Also from the posse I'd recommend the Mario Party and Zelda: Four Swords ones. Since it seems it's drat near impossible to give 4 good friends a multiplayer game that seemingly encourages dicking each other over and not end up with a hilarious LP.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Does anyone know that video someone did making fun of Let's Plays of people like AVGN and others by being over-the-top and having a stupid voice and things of that nature?

I can't seem to remember what it was. I think it was Mario or something, and it was the only video he did when a lot of people wanted him to do more.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You mean Psychedelic Eyeball? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-37G-9dRxTY

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Psychedelic made more than one video. I'm talking ever, I believe.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

AMReese posted:

Does anyone know that video someone did making fun of Let's Plays of people like AVGN and others by being over-the-top and having a stupid voice and things of that nature?

I can't seem to remember what it was. I think it was Mario or something, and it was the only video he did when a lot of people wanted him to do more.

Could this be the one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSB9SZvtP2I

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Nah, not that one. Sorry if I'm being vague, but I have a hard time remembering.

I think he's well-known on the LP forum.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
You might be thinking of Taxidermistpasta.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

Nah, he wasn't so over the top.

I need a list of parody LPs or something.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

AMReese posted:

Nah, not that one. Sorry if I'm being vague, but I have a hard time remembering.

I think he's well-known on the LP forum.

Apparently not well known enough. Any other hints you can share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Volcano Style Crumbling Centurion?

• Locked thread