Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Looks like this is the best deal since there is a bulk discount in play http://www.ebay.com/itm/x1000-ULTRA...=item5d387ef6d2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I use penny sleeves for stuff like Netrunner, but you typically don't shuffle more than once or twice a game. I don't really care if they're super fragile, since they are super cheap and I just don't want things like grease and gross finger substances inherent to gamers to get on my cards. They're also super convenient to write proxy stuff on, if you want to do that for games like Netrunner or if you lose a card or something.

Cards that are not standard "MTG" sized annoy the hell out of me, though. I'm looking at you, Summoner Wars! :argh:

Edit: Oddly enough those Pro Fit sleeves work wonderfully with Summoner Wars. They even fit inside the insert's slots!

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 6, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Looks like this is the best deal since there is a bulk discount in play http://www.ebay.com/itm/x1000-ULTRA...=item5d387ef6d2

These are PRO-FIT sleeves, btw. Meant to go inside a normal sleeve.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

KingKapalone posted:

Be careful with the Pro Fit sleeves. They are a mid-range price option, but those are designed to be incredibly tight fitting sleeves which can then be put inside a normal Ultra Pro sleeve for "added protection" (gimick, imo), and as such, the slightest difference in cut on certain cards from game-to-game can mean that they may or may not fit in them. I've got them on my copy of Legendary for example, but an attempt to put another game with "standard sized cards" I have in them was met with them being wayy too tight, to the point where the cards were bowing heavilly in the sleve, if I could get the card in them at all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Merauder posted:

Be careful with the Pro Fit sleeves. They are a mid-range price option, but those are designed to be incredibly tight fitting sleeves which can then be put inside a normal Ultra Pro sleeve for "added protection" (gimick, imo), and as such, the slightest difference in cut on certain cards from game-to-game can mean that they may or may not fit in them. I've got them on my copy of Legendary for example, but an attempt to put another game with "standard sized cards" I have in them was met with them being wayy too tight, to the point where the cards were bowing heavilly in the sleve, if I could get the card in them at all.

Well god dammit. I saw the 600 pack of Pro-Mattes and those were cheaper than the other 100 packs I saw due to the bulk discount. What's in between the pro-mattes and the pro-fits?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

PRO FIT: sleeve to fit inside the sleeve

DECK PROTECTOR: Standard Card sleeve, comes in solid and clear backs

PRO MATTE: Thicker, "Premium" sleeves. Matte finish on both sides.

DPW
Oct 2, 2004

O Bother.

Pander posted:

Is that even possible? Wouldn't it require building on every single corner possible to build upon? And wouldn't running out of roads become a problem?

And wouldn't games last a year and a half?

Not really adds about 20 minutes the cards become very important for scoring, I been thinking about ordering extra pieces like more settlements and cities and roads just because we have been having fun with these mega structure settler games. I know its weird but we like it. Also Got Ticket to Ride and Tsuro and have friends coming over in a few to play :dance:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I use the standard clear deck protectors and I stand by them. Plus when you open them, they have that characteristic smell which may or may not be reminiscent of ditto machines.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I use the Mayday penny sleeves for Dominion, and I am satisfied with them. If one breaks, it's cheap to replace, and with the 20+ games I've played with the sleeved cards, I've only had one or two break. Mind you, I play a lot of M:TG so I can shuffle fairly carefully. I don't know why anyone would have more trouble shuffling sleeved cards compared to unsleeved cards. Even with flimsy sleeves, the cards just slide together much easier.

DPW
Oct 2, 2004

O Bother.

VoodooXT posted:

I use the standard clear deck protectors and I stand by them. Plus when you open them, they have that characteristic smell which may or may not be reminiscent of ditto machines.

I always use the clear deck protectors too. Cheap option keeps grubby fingers from wrecking poo poo and I have to have all my cards in sleeves. And I just opened ticket to ride and saw those cards and have no idea how I will sleeve them.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

DPW posted:

I always use the clear deck protectors too. Cheap option keeps grubby fingers from wrecking poo poo and I have to have all my cards in sleeves. And I just opened ticket to ride and saw those cards and have no idea how I will sleeve them.

Buy the 1910 expansion. Sleeve Away.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

DPW posted:

When it comes to not-standard card sizes like Euro/mini-Euro, I use FFG sleeves. Haven't quite figured out why I split like that.

nic olas
Apr 28, 2003

Any recommendations for a competitive game that plays well with two players? Fantasy-type settings preferred, too.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
For what it's worth, I sleeved all my Dominion cards with Mayday sleeves and have had no problem after a couple dozen plays. Only had two sleeves out of over 1200 not fit also. Maybe I'm just lucky.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
The only problem I have with penny sleeves is that they're usually loose and don't fit very well. Maybe it's just my experience with them, but it's hard as hell to shuffle sleeves that aren't at least somewhat correctly sized.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

nic olas posted:

Any recommendations for a competitive game that plays well with two players? Fantasy-type settings preferred, too.
This thread's really in love with Small World. It's like if a fantasy conquering game, and a worker-placement Euro game had a baby, and that baby was really, really fun to play with. There's a Tabletop of it, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nic olas posted:

Carcassonne is great two player, very competitive.

Also Android: Netrunner, though that is not a fantasy setting.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 6, 2013

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

nic olas posted:

Mage Wars.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, Summoner Wars gets a lot of love (and for good reason).

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

nic olas posted:

Hmm...Yomi? http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43022/yomi

Of course, it only plays with 2 people. Buying the entire set of characters is a bit expensive, but you can buy decks two at a time to just try it out.

You can also play online for free here http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

nic olas posted:

Caylus, Dominion, Through the Ages, Eminent Domain, Netrunner, Dungeon Lords, Mage Knight, Small World, Catacombs, Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Summoner Wars, Go, Galaxy Trucker,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
How are the various Thunderstone expansions? I have the original set right now, and will probably pick up Advance next for the various improvements. Are any of them worth bothering with if I get Advance? Anyone have experience mixing the old sets with Advance?

Basically wondering what's the best direction to go from base Thunderstone.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mega64 posted:

How are the various Thunderstone expansions? I have the original set right now, and will probably pick up Advance next for the various improvements. Are any of them worth bothering with if I get Advance? Anyone have experience mixing the old sets with Advance?

Probably sell it and move to Advance. It's pretty funny that AEG put out like 5 expansions for a game and then said, "Welp, this sucks, let's start over. Sorry, everyone." And by funny I mean lovely.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Carteret posted:

Buy the 1910 expansion. Sleeve Away.

Or just buy the 1910 expansion and play away. Maybe you're super picky about sleeving everything, but I really don't think you need to with these. The cards that come with 1910 are very good quality and have stood up to dozens of unsleeved plays for me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Colon V posted:

This thread's really in love with Small World. It's like if a fantasy conquering game, and a worker-placement Euro game had a baby, and that baby was really, really fun to play with. There's a Tabletop of it, if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QtdiRJYro

Just played this for the first time the other day, and yeah, it was hella fun. I think I might pick up a copy myself, actually, particularly as I just showed my game=phobic GF the tabletop vid and she seemed fairly entertained.

Interestingly, on my first playthrough, I got the pillaging orcs, AND the swamp ratmen, just like Grant does in the vid. And I lost, just like Grant does in the vid D: what are the odds.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

werdnam posted:

Or just buy the 1910 expansion and play away. Maybe you're super picky about sleeving everything, but I really don't think you need to with these. The cards that come with 1910 are very good quality and have stood up to dozens of unsleeved plays for me.

I can't play TTR without the 1910 expansion, the routes are just too confining.

Speaking of TTR, are any of the map expansions any good? I've already got all the "box" games and they go over pretty well.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Alberta Cross posted:

Speaking of TTR, are any of the map expansions any good? I've already got all the "box" games and they go over pretty well.

The India/Switzerland board is fantastic. I picked up the Heart of Africa one recently and am pretty "meh" on it after three plays.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

When it comes to not-standard card sizes like Euro/mini-Euro, I use FFG sleeves. Haven't quite figured out why I split like that.
You go sleeve Space Alert and we'll talk about non-standard sizes. Americans :rolleyes:

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Pierzak posted:

You go sleeve Space Alert and we'll talk about non-standard sizes. Americans :rolleyes:

I know they don't fit in any of the Fantasy Flight sleeves.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Pierzak posted:

That's not even what I meant, dude. :rolleyes:

Besides, I sleeved Space Alert.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

That's not even what I meant, dude. :rolleyes:

Besides, I sleeved Space Alert.
What sleeves did you use? Assuming you got them to fit properly and not leave like 5 mm on the side.

the Armericans thing was a joke, btw.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Pierzak posted:

What sleeves did you use? Assuming you got them to fit properly and not leave like 5 mm on the side.

the Armericans thing was a joke, btw.

I just ended up using the 7 Wonders sized sleeves as a stop gap. It's annoying but it'll have to do for now.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Alberta Cross posted:

The Team Asia map is fun, playing in teams of two where you're never 100% sure what your teammate is doing adds an interesting new dimension.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Here are the issues I can think of using base Thunderstone with Advance. I haven't tried it myself so take this with a grain of salt.
1) Card faces are different. The cards will have the same information, but it may be difficult to process both.
2) There are some wording changes. For example, in base you had Attack & Magic Attack. In Advance, you have Physical Attack and Magic Attack. It works the same but could cause confusion.
2) Monster effect timing is different. In base, Battle effects that destroy cards destroyed them AFTER determining the battles result. In Advance, it happens first.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

Alberta Cross posted:

Only played Africa once recently 2 player. Seems alright. Cut-throat board I think. Only one sided though.

India is nice but the Mandala return journeys are hard to pull off. Cramped board at 4 player and gets cut-throat..
Switzerland is OK.
Legendary Asia is OK.
Team Asia when played 6 player is loving marvelous.

In fact if I print up any fan maps they will be 6 player team based if they exist.

I have made tuck boxes for the 1910, India and Switzerland tickets so I can fit the us and 3 expansion boards in the same box. The 1910 box holds the all the other tickets. The tuck boxes are found in the files sections of BGG.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

nic olas posted:

Look into Claustrophobia, Dungeon Twister, and Mage Wars. If you want something longer with a huge box, War of the Ring or Mage Knight.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I spent the past four days at MAGFest in Maryland, and they had a decent board game room set up, that I spent most of my time in.

Introduced a couple of friends who play games rarely to Dominion (Dark Ages), which of course went over really well. Dominion is, of course, great, and I really dig the Dark Ages expansion if only because it's so thematic. Also got to teach Netrunner to a friend who games often -- he was a big fan.

I fell in complete love with Ascension and it's expansion, which is kind of funny because I've had the iOS version forever and didn't like it. As a physical game (or, as we found out, on iOS when all players are actually present in the room), it's wonderful, and seems to scale really well between 2-4 players. It was fast, it was fun, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a copy from Amazon as soon as I get home. I guess if I had any complaints, it would be that, even with the expansion, we saw a lot of the same cards pop up in the middle over and over again (but this could just be luck), and that the nature of the game makes it seem like the cards will get destroyed really easy. I'll probably pick up sleeves, but I'm not looking forward to sleeving that giant pile of cards.

I also got to try out Cadwallon: City of Thieves, which I actually hadn't heard of before until we saw it in the game pile. It was ok, although I think the game is just a little bit too random for my tastes with the dice rolling for combat, and it also seemed like the factions were a bit unbalanced.

The biggest disappointment of the con was Mage Knight, which I've been dying to play for a long time. The good news is that it wasn't disappointing because it's a bad game. The bad news is that it was disappointing because we spent 45 minutes muddling through the rules trying to figure out how to play the game and set up the board, only to realize in one of the last set-up steps that the box was missing almost every single mana crystal in the set and that the game would be unplayable.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Which expansion for Ascension, out of curiosity? There are three.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Aerox posted:

The biggest disappointment of the con was Mage Knight, which I've been dying to play for a long time. The good news is that it wasn't disappointing because it's a bad game. The bad news is that it was disappointing because we spent 45 minutes muddling through the rules trying to figure out how to play the game and set up the board, only to realize in one of the last set-up steps that the box was missing almost every single mana crystal in the set and that the game would be unplayable.

You could just as easily record mana crystals with pen and paper, or whatever parts you have on hand. May not look as nice, but hardly a game breaker like missing cards or land tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Merauder posted:

Which expansion for Ascension, out of curiosity? There are three.

Ah, I didn't even know that. It was Return of the Fallen.

It also looked like there were some promotional cards mixed in (Gold P symbol on the bottom), but I can't remember what any of them were besides Leprechaun, which we didn't use.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 7, 2013

• Locked thread