Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

Two silver sedans as well checking in.. I like silver. I usually joke "If I wanted to go undercover, I'd buy an early 2000s white Impala." They're everywhere.

A silver sedan or wagon is as close to stealth mode as possible, at least around here. I don't mind it, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Also, before anyone furthers the "I'd take one to do x with", we've had about a dozen various cars spontaneously burst into flames.
Is there a reason other than the work involved that you don't pull the battery out from cars when they come in?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
RE: silver cars: you're paying for paint, you might as well choose an actual color.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A lot of cars just straight up aren't available in anything but white/black/silver/grey. See: Hyundai / Kia. When I bought my Audi all the colorful, uh, colors were all special orders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of cars just straight up aren't available in anything but white/black/silver/grey. See: Hyundai / Kia. When I bought my Audi all the colorful, uh, colors were all special orders.

The Audi Coupe GT in the 80s were available in only White, Black, Grey, or Red.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there a reason other than the work involved that you don't pull the battery out from cars when they come in?

They are supposed to do that when the truckers pick them up, but most transport drivers are loving lazy idiots.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Clearly anything worth buying will come in a choice of non-road camo colors.

Both of my cars are red. Red is the fastest color, according to a survey of 6 year old boys.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
You can have it in any color you want, just so long as it's black.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've only got one rollover red car and it definitely belongs in this thread.

loving thing :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

You can have it in any color you want, just so long as it's black.

There was a silver Saab in the background :ssh:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

There was a silver Saab in the background :ssh:

That wasn't a Turbo X. :q:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Stuff White People Like: Giving themselves ecological guilt complexes and trying to buy their way out.

(on an Evoque)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

Stuff White People Like: Giving themselves ecological guilt complexes and trying to buy their way out.

(on an Evoque)

I'm So buying a few of those emblems to put on my refinery huggin' p38.

I was looking for vacuum adjust Bosch E spec lights for my w124 and saw this.

:suicide:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

A silver sedan or wagon is as close to stealth mode as possible, at least around here. I don't mind it, actually.

A silver or white 2000-2008 Altima is probably the perfect getaway car; so completely and utterly forgettable I'm surprised people don't crash into them more often due to forgetting them as soon as they look away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

Two silver sedans as well checking in.. I like silver. I usually joke "If I wanted to go undercover, I'd buy an early 2000s white Impala." They're everywhere.
Or a silver one..

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

A silver or white 2000-2008 Altima is probably the perfect getaway car; so completely and utterly forgettable I'm surprised people don't crash into them more often due to forgetting them as soon as they look away.

Must depend on where you live because around here you see almost no Nissans. There are a few Nissan trucks around but they are maybe 1 in 20. The rednecks (read: everyone) around here still harbor a distaste for "imports" or "jap shitboxes" :(
There is almost no variety where I live, even the econoboxes are mostly Cavaliers and Focuses.
I wish people around here were more enlightened, I'd love to see something other than F-150s and beater 90's domestics on the road around here. I saw a beautiful 911 GT2 among the usual '60s and '70s muscle cars at a car show at the local burger joint, so I went up to the guy (awesome Swiss guy who had moved to the states about a year before) and while we were talking about his car a bunch of local dudes walking by shouted something like "Euro human being" or something to that effect. :suicide:

I need to move. Even in the northeast there are still pockets of unrelenting backwardness.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

blk posted:

(on an Evoque)

I read that as carbon not neutral.

With the whole bright colours thing, our local police car colours were inspired by Windows' Hotdog stand theme. Bright red, yellow and blue. I mean one of each. Not harlequin cop cars.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I think stuff that would go in the cell phone pics thread goes here now?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Dude is just transporting his mannequin heads to a new helmet shop or somethin'. No issue there.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Zefiel posted:

I think stuff that would go in the cell phone pics thread goes here now?

All I can picture here is this guy showing up to motorcycle accidents like those insurance claims vehicles. "Excuse me sir, I couldn't help but notice that you need a new helmet."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The greatest thing about the picture, though, is that you know for certain that before the trip he checked every chinstrap to be sure the helmets were strapped on tight.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm So buying a few of those emblems to put on my refinery huggin' p38.

I should do the same on my tuned Classic(4.2 block, cammed, ported and polished, etc). 9-10MPG. Yeah, that's close enough.

I'd like to think it's better for the environment to keep this, now 23 year old, truck running than buy something newer. Don't tell me any different. Also, what it doesn't burn it returns to the earth with its 'flow-through oil filtration system(Land Rover™)'.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bucephalus posted:

RE: silver cars: you're paying for paint, you might as well choose an actual color.

But if you are a manufacturer and want a modern metallic clear coat paint that won't fade or turn brittle in the sun or use an assload of solvent to apply apparently silver, white, and black are your best bets. I have blue, but it really is riding the edge of black.

Around here a silver acura or lexus coupe would be the ideal getaway car. You can even drive like a total rear end and nobody will think it is out of the ordinary. A bit outside of the city and you will want to switch to a white F250 and go 15 under the limit in the left lane.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I hate those exact three colors. They're just so drat boring. Although, black is kinda 50/50. Some cars look pretty good in black but not other colors. Around here, you're ideal get-away vehicle would be something from the Mopar field. Don't know why, but since Katrina, it's been practically nothing but Dodge Chargers, Challengers, Avengers, Magnum, and the list goes on. That and Nissan. There's so many Altimas & Optimas EVERYWHERE. It's just odd for being in the South.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 7, 2013

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

My first 4 cars were either grey or silver. I want nothing to do with those colors ever again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bucephalus posted:

I had no choice, my Flex came in silver. At the end of the company lease, I have right of first refusal; if I buy it, I WILL re-paint it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I was looking for vacuum adjust Bosch E spec lights for my w124 and saw this.

:suicide:

More like :pwn:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

arg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

That and Nissan. There's so many Altimas & Optimas EVERYWHERE. It's just odd for being in the South.

Not that weird, considering where most (if not all) of the Altimas and Optimas sold in the US are made (Mississippi and Tennessee for the Nissan, and Georgia for the Kia).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Nissans basically expand in a concentric circle from the US south. THey are huge in the southern states, less common as you go north and almost non-existant in Canada for some reason (The "big 3" Japanese marques in Canada are Toyota, Honda and Mazda).

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
There are plenty of Nissans here in Quebec.

Mainly Versa, Rogue and Muranos.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Almost as many Nissans as Mazdas in Nova Scotia. Honda and Toyota are still about twice as popular though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Snowdens Secret posted:

My wife's Kia Spectra5 is a bright metallic blue, and I've seen a fair number in the orangey/copper color that was available. Yellow, too. But, as previously mentioned, this is on a smallish, sporty-ish car. I haven't seen those colors on, say, an Optima.
Shifty Pony posted the article I read on why this is, so there you go.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How do you even let a car get into that kind of shape :gonk: especially a ~2003 Civic..

e: on second thought, it was in the back of a ... not so desirable apartment complex, with low tires and a lot of battle scars.. I'm gonna go with "stolen for a joyride, repaired, stolen again, then ditched" or "abandoned".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 7, 2013

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Silver cars are the worst idea in Seattle. I had one as a work car, and got ran in to by random vehicles two or three times before I just started leaving the lights on all the time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My car is gold :smug:

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
My car is white, but I wish I could have found a GTP in that awesome metallic orange they used. I see a car exactly like mine but in that dark coppery color fairly often.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My car is "Mocha Foam". If you look inside the engine bay where it has the colour but not the metallic finish it's essentially baby poo.

I like white cars. Not a fan of the colour, but they are easy to see under most conditions, don't show body damage as much, reflect heat pretty well and are drat easy to patch sections on without it standing out. Which is good for me because I'm not fantastic at keeping paint attached to cars.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MikeyTsi posted:

Silver cars are the worst idea in Seattle. I had one as a work car, and got ran in to by random vehicles two or three times before I just started leaving the lights on all the time.

This is a good point. There are a lot of idiots around New England who drive in the rain/fog, in their silver cars, with their lights off. Turn on your loving lights, no I don't care that there's no state law, no I don't care that you think you can see just fine, you're like a loving ghost ship coming out of the mists, turn on your loving lights. This actually goes for most any color, but silver is the worst.

(That was the general 'you' not directed specifically at MikeyTsi)

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I have two black cars, two silver cars, and one silver-green car.

gently caress all y'haters. You don't choose what color you get when they're used.. or only available in one color. :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

How do you even let a car get into that kind of shape :gonk: especially a ~2003 Civic..

e: on second thought, it was in the back of a ... not so desirable apartment complex, with low tires and a lot of battle scars.. I'm gonna go with "stolen for a joyride, repaired, stolen again, then ditched" or "abandoned".

This looks like one of those cars you see in future-set sci-fi films, littering the roads after the WWIII apocalypse. I wanna see that rear bumper flop around on the expressway :banjo: