Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

axolotl farmer posted:

How about a nice unscented candle? Why do they all smell like a tire fire in a candy store?

Other ideas:

Some nice tea or coffee mugs
A non-nerdy boardgame (like Settlers of Catan or Pictionary)

Why are you expected to bring a gift to a 24-year old stranger?
It's a somewhat complicated social situation that is not in any way interesting, basically its her birthday and they're doing presents and I have to go. I can't think of anywhere I can buy a gift candle that's within walking distance, so I think I'm going to go for a nice notebook. Everyone likes a nice, moleskine notebook right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

^^^^^^^
Good idea. Neutral, but nice.

Gils posted:

When people talk about using ear protection for loud concerts, is there anything in particular you're looking for or are all earplugs the same? And while I'm on this note, is there a way they're supposed to be used beyond "shove in ear?"

I don't think I've ever really worn an earplug. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been to many loud concerts.

There are fancy earplugs, but for general concert use always bring some of the cheap yellow foam ones.

Don't just jam them in your ear: roll them between your fingers, then put them in your ear and hold it there until the foam decompresses and the earplug takes the shape of your ear canal.

I don't go to a lot of concerts these days, but there were a couple of time that I regret not wearing ear protection. After hearing a loud band play a long set in a small club, I was nearly deaf for two days and had tinnitus for a week. I'm really lucky it didn't damage my hearing permanently.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

axolotl farmer posted:

Don't just jam them in your ear: roll them between your fingers, then put them in your ear and hold it there until the foam decompresses and the earplug takes the shape of your ear canal.

A word of warning, the goal is not 'shove them as deep down into your ear as possible.' Rather you want to seal the external opening of the canal.
Westone has some examples of custom hearing protection, and a nice safe noise exposure chart on the right side of the page.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

hayden. posted:

What's this from?

GIS points back to Sigma-X's avatar, try asking them?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Gils posted:

When people talk about using ear protection for loud concerts, is there anything in particular you're looking for or are all earplugs the same? And while I'm on this note, is there a way they're supposed to be used beyond "shove in ear?"

I don't think I've ever really worn an earplug. I guess it's a good thing I haven't been to many loud concerts.

I personally prefer the ones that look a bit like chewed gum as I find them more comfortable

But any of the soft ones will work well:

To use, simply roll tight and push into your ears, them gently hold in place until they expand.

Wash them after ever use and let them dry out. Chuck them away as soon as they look dirty.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gils posted:

Earplugs are rated by their attenuation (how much they reduce the volume) and whether that are high or low frequency (ear plugs are all aimed low, proper ear defenders are required vs high pitched noises).

As for wearing them properly, roll them between your fingers to narrow them down, then reach over your head & pull up on the tip of your other ear when inserting - pull left ear up with right hand, insert plug with left hand, repeat mirrored for other ear. This opens & slightly straighten the canal. The plug well then expand over 10 seconds or so.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

FadingChord posted:

I'm a group admin; I just can't find the button in the new groups layout. Somebody make me feel stupid, please.

Oh, in that case, there's a message link right next to the number of people in the group, near the upper right corner.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I often see Youtube addresses written as youtu.be. Has YouTube registered a Belgian domain name?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gils posted:

No, they are not all equal. Simple foam earplugs just block sound and also alter the sounds in the process. You're looking for earplugs that reduce the volume without altering the sound, so something like this.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Baron Bifford posted:

I often see Youtube addresses written as youtu.be. Has YouTube registered a Belgian domain name?

Yes, for shorter URLs.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I've just caught an old CSI episode (S11 E2) where there's a hotel that has a shark tank next to a swimming pool, seperated by 8 inches of plexiglass, but it looks like there are sharks in the pool, is there an actual place like that, is it possible that anywhere would get an insurance company to cover them or meet health and safety demands?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Crankit posted:

I've just caught an old CSI episode (S11 E2) where there's a hotel that has a shark tank next to a swimming pool, seperated by 8 inches of plexiglass, but it looks like there are sharks in the pool, is there an actual place like that, is it possible that anywhere would get an insurance company to cover them or meet health and safety demands?

The Golden Nugget in Vegas has one. It's called "The Tank."

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Crankit posted:

Why would that be any less safe than any aquarium?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Why would that be any less safe than any aquarium?

If the material separating the two bodies of water had the same refractive index as the water you might not notice breaks/damage in the material and then sharks will eat people. Or someone could put a shark in the pool and people would think he's over in that tank and then BAM you're eaten by a shark as happened in CSI.

I've seen several documentaries (CSI, Jaws) on sharks so I think I know what I'm talking about. If there's one thing I know it's this: gently caress the ocean, and sharks eat people.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
There's a pretty famous hotel in India or Dubai or somewhere that has a pool way up high that has a plexiglass side or something and you'll often see pictures of people on the edge and it looks super freaky.

If THAT'S insurable, I'm sure sharks behind a giant plexiglass window are fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What happened to PITR? Did it have to do with the online poker scandals involving Full Tilt?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

tarepanda posted:

There's a pretty famous hotel in India or Dubai or somewhere that has a pool way up high that has a plexiglass side or something and you'll often see pictures of people on the edge and it looks super freaky.

If THAT'S insurable, I'm sure sharks behind a giant plexiglass window are fine.

There's a couple of them and I have no idea how they are insurable or deemed safe. I am not a materials scientist though, so I'm sure there are very skilled engineers who are confident in their safety.

Still...

These two are the famous hotel in Dubai you mentioned -

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Those aren't actually the ones I was thinking of... there are ones with much, much larger pools and a lip that barely goes above water level, so when people take pictures it looks like they're about to fall off.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
This is very relevant here, it only happened last week:

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/12/27/33-ton-aquarium-bursts-in-mall-showering-crowds-with-live-shark/

Huge aquarium in a Chinese hotel burst and showered everyone with live sharks.

tarepanda posted:

Those aren't actually the ones I was thinking of... there are ones with much, much larger pools and a lip that barely goes above water level, so when people take pictures it looks like they're about to fall off.
They're called "infinity pools", lots of fancy hotels have them now.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

actionjackson posted:

What happened to PITR? Did it have to do with the online poker scandals involving Full Tilt?

One of the admins decided to do it because it was pretty dead and just a small group of people posting.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

actionjackson posted:

It topped out at something like 5 concurrent users browsing, so it got moved to traditional gaming as a small number of megathreads. The rules of various poker games have been modified to include a D20 accordingly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Regarding crazy hotel aquariums:

Google 'radisson blu' for more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What other ad or tv show is this girl from?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBjwCiAJO4#t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBjwCiAJO4#t=17s
It's killing me trying to figure it out.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I've got a maths problem I'm trying to figure out the correct way to solve.

So we have a Members draw that is drawn from 8937 people and you must be here to win.

So the basic chance of winning is 1/8937 or .01% or so....

BUT

as I said you must be here to win and there's only ever about 200 people here.

so whats the chance of the draw actually being won?(and the correct way of working it out please!)

EDIT: actually I think I might have it, please tell me if I am right or wrong.

So the basic chance to win is 1/8937.

People actually here is 200/8937

So the chance it is won will be 1/8937 x 200/8937 or .0003%?

BoonyPC fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 7, 2013

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
You can ask that in the math thread in Science, Academics and Languages after you read the SAL rules (e.g. show what you've tried, etc.)

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

helopticor posted:

You can ask that in the math thread in Science, Academics and Languages after you read the SAL rules (e.g. show what you've tried, etc.)

oh, thank you, in a rush to get this done otherwise I would have looked around harder!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BoonyPC posted:

I've got a maths problem I'm trying to figure out the correct way to solve.

So we have a Members draw that is drawn from 8937 people and you must be here to win.

So the basic chance of winning is 1/8937 or .01% or so....

BUT

as I said you must be here to win and there's only ever about 200 people here.

so whats the chance of the draw actually being won?(and the correct way of working it out please!)

EDIT: actually I think I might have it, please tell me if I am right or wrong.

So the basic chance to win is 1/8937.

People actually here is 200/8937

So the chance it is won will be 1/8937 x 200/8937 or .0003%?

The chance of it being won by anyone at all is 200/8937 (out of 8937 possibilities, 200 will result in a winner). The chance of any specific person who attends winning it is 1/8937. The chance of any particular person winning it regardless of which days they choose to attend depends on how often they attend. On any given day, a person has either a 1/8937 chance of winning or no chance, depending on whether they're there or not.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Probably too obvious to be the case, but if they repick if the person isn't there, your chance is 1/200. If they don't repick your chance is still just 1/8937, and the person being there isn't irrelevant to your win chance.

KoB
May 1, 2009
At one point I think there was a thread like "tell us about the city you live in." I couldnt find it in A/T, is it archived or anything?

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
So I have a lot of guilty pleasures and Woodchuck Cider is one of them. I won't even pretend it's because I have a gluten intolerance. I'm just not evolved enough for wine (despite my handle), and I've tried too long at trying to acquire a taste for beer, so cider it is. I notice a huge difference between buying it in green glass bottles and buying it in brown. Is this normal for drinks across the board, an unfortunate coincidence, or what? Green-glassed tastes so much sweeter and lighter I can hardly believe it's the same brand. Philadelphia makes you buy in cases so now I have a whole bloody case of bitter sour brown-glassed 802 to go through and I'm pissed. Someone please tell me if this is science or luck.

ineptmule posted:

I read your post twice to try to figure out why I liked it so much and this line right here is the reason.

Hey, I'm just flattered someone bothered to read it once. :)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The middle finger on my right hand goes pale and numb in cold weather. I have to massage and warm it to restore color and sensation. This doesn't happen to my other fingers. It's been doing this for some months. What's wrong with it? I think the problem started after I stubbed that finger a while back, but that was ages ago.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 8, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Liebfraumilch posted:

So I have a lot of guilty pleasures and Woodchuck Cider is one of them. I won't even pretend it's because I have a gluten intolerance. I'm just not evolved enough for wine (despite my handle), and I've tried too long at trying to acquire a taste for beer, so cider it is. I notice a huge difference between buying it in green glass bottles and buying it in brown. Is this normal for drinks across the board, an unfortunate coincidence, or what? Green-glassed tastes so much sweeter and lighter I can hardly believe it's the same brand. Philadelphia makes you buy in cases so now I have a whole bloody case of bitter sour brown-glassed 802 to go through and I'm pissed. Someone please tell me if this is science or luck.

1) Yes, green glass bottles let more light in and affect the flavor of beer and cider.

2) But that's not the issue here. You've been buying two different styles of cider. Woodchuck makes several styles. The green glass is their "regular" style, the Amber (or maybe a slim chance it's the Granny Smith flavor.) The brown bottles with the 802* on the label is the Dark and Dry flavor, so it makes sense that it tastes less sweet.

And finally,
3) How wrong can one man be? The Dark and Dry flavor is so much better than the Amber.

*The 802 refers to Vermont's area code.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2013

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrBouvenstein posted:

1) Yes, green glass bottles let more light in and affect the flavor of beer and cider.

I had an employee at a small brewery once tell me this was true but the difference was such that you'd need to leave the brown/green/clear bottles in direct sunlight for weeks for it to really have an effect. Just another point of view.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

ElwoodCuse posted:

I had an employee at a small brewery once tell me this was true but the difference was such that you'd need to leave the brown/green/clear bottles in direct sunlight for weeks for it to really have an effect. Just another point of view.

I don't think it has to be direct sunlight, I think fluorescent lighting can have the same effect and it doesn't seem too far fetched that beer would sit in a warehouse/storage room/shelf for weeks.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) But that's not the issue here. You've been buying two different styles of cider. Woodchuck makes several styles. The green glass is their "regular" style, the amber. (or maybe a slim chance it's the granny Smith flavor.) The brown bottles with the 802* on the label is the Dark and Dry flavor, so it makes sense that it tastes less sweet.

And finally,
3) How wrong can one man be? The Dark and Dry flavor is so much better than the Amber.

*The 802 refers to Vermont's area code.

I didn't want to do my trademark logorrhea thing in my first post, but to clarify: I've been buying variety packs forever with brown bottles (Amber, 802, Granny Smith, and surprise), and never knew what I was missing until I bought a case of Raspberry and a case of 802 in green bottles that both tasted like ambrosia. I became a believer that day. Granny Smith was sweeter and lighter in green bottles, too.

I thought the difference in distribution was that cases of one single non-seasonal flavor = green bottles whereas variety packs and seasonal = brown bottles, but this hypothesis failed me today and now I have a full case of 802 that tastes like sorrow and disappointment.

:sigh:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Liebfraumilch posted:

I didn't want to do my trademark logorrhea thing in my first post, but to clarify: I've been buying variety packs forever with brown bottles (Amber, 802, Granny Smith, and surprise), and never knew what I was missing until I bought a case of Raspberry and a case of 802 in green bottles that both tasted like ambrosia. I became a believer that day. Granny Smith was sweeter and lighter in green bottles, too.

I thought the difference in distribution was that cases of one single non-seasonal flavor = green bottles whereas variety packs and seasonal = brown bottles, but this hypothesis failed me today and now I have a full case of 802 that tastes like sorrow and disappointment.

:sigh:

Huh...I'm looking on their website, and it shows ALL of their styles now in brown bottles. They must have switched to all brown bottles recently, because I remember have a green bottle one not too long ago.

So I don't know what the deal is...it looks like they've fully switched to brown for everything. I'm guessing the one that was "802 in a green bottle" wasn't 802 flavor...because to my knowledge that has ALWAYS been a brown bottle, at least as long as I've been drinking and can remember (close to ten years.)

Edit: The label on the 802 would be orange, like so:

You're telling me you found ones that said 802, orange label, but green bottle? And tasted nothing like regular 802? I mean...I'm not saying I'm a Woodchuck expert, I'm just saying I've never seen 802 in a green bottle before, and don't know why that would have THAT big of a flavor impact, especially if it was in a variety 12-pack, which would make it sealed off from the light anyway.

Double edit: And knowing what I know about production, there's no rhyme or reason to using different colored bottles for "single packs" and another for "variety packs." It's the same production lines. So if they're bottles Granny Smith and Amber that day, they'll case up 80% for the single packs, and set aside 20% for the variety packs. They aren't going to stop the line, switch out bottles, and start it back up again just for that 20%.

Triple edit: V V V Well, my guess is you just drank old cider, then. That could certainly have an affect on taste. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 7, 2013

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I'm looking on their website, and it shows ALL of their styles now in brown bottles. They must have switched to all brown bottles recently, because I remember have a green bottle one not too long ago.

So I don't know what the deal is...it looks like they've fully switched to brown for everything. I'm guessing the one that was "802 in a green bottle" wasn't 802 flavor...because to my knowledge that has ALWAYS been a brown bottle, at least as long as I've been drinking and can remember (close to ten years.)

When I opened that case, I thought there had been a mistake. I saw they said they were changing to brown to "go green" and was miffed I had been sold a case from years ago or something. I tasted it and all was forgiven. I might have still thought it was a mislabel because the flavor on 802 was so different and I'm not exactly a connoisseur, but Granny Smith green vs. Granny Smith brown was a much more distinct flavor for me to identify and compare.

Sadly, I drank all the evidence. :(

I'll see your EDIT and raise you an EDIT:

DrBouvenstein posted:

You're telling me you found ones that said 802, orange label, but green bottle? And tasted nothing like regular 802? I mean...I'm not saying I'm a Woodchuck expert, I'm just saying I've never seen 802 in a green bottle before, and don't know why that would have THAT big of a flavor impact, especially if it was in a variety 12-pack, which would make it sealed off from the light anyway.

Yes. Philadelphia makes you buy by the case--24 bottles sealed up in a box, no peeking--by specific stores as far as I can tell (I'm from Wisconsin and not being able to find beer at any old gas station or grocer is Pure Crazy), and one store sells cases of 802, Granny Smith, and Raspberry in green bottles (and Variety and Pear cases in brown), the other store has sold me Variety, Winter, and now 802 only in brown. I will walk further and less safely to the other store now that I've had two disappointments at the latter store. I have to prove this anomaly if it kills me.

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 7, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crankit posted:

I don't think it has to be direct sunlight, I think fluorescent lighting can have the same effect and it doesn't seem too far fetched that beer would sit in a warehouse/storage room/shelf for weeks.

Most importantly you need hops. Cider typically does not have hops and so cannot become skunked/light-struck. However, in harsh direct sunlight beer can become skunked in minutes.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

KoB posted:

At one point I think there was a thread like "tell us about the city you live in." I couldnt find it in A/T, is it archived or anything?

IF you're just looking for general city gossip and restaurant recommendations you can usually hop into one of the threads in LAN. If you're looking for that specific thread I remember it to but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Baron Bifford posted:

The middle finger on my right hand goes pale and numb in cold weather. I have to massage and warm it to restore color and sensation. This doesn't happen to my other fingers. It's been doing this for some months. What's wrong with it?

Bad circulation, maybe a clot. Maybe ask your doctor?