Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Daynab posted:

Let's talk about dynamic music!

It even has some samples for you to listen at.
I'm really looking forward to it because we have the same person doing the music than we did in Dredmor and I'm personally a big fan.

quote:

Producitivity

It is unfortunate that blags do not spell check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

This is my favorite "discovery" music in a game I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFsP9_w1Qww

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

Here you go Gaslamp, from TSW thread. Seems appropriate. :allears:

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Happy New Year, everybody! Back on the ol' blog-posting train with some thoughts on animals:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/03/concerning-the-kingdoms-of-beasts-and-fishes/

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

Happy New Year, everybody! Back on the ol' blog-posting train with some thoughts on animals:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/03/concerning-the-kingdoms-of-beasts-and-fishes/

:allears: You boys sure do know how to get a fella's heart a'pumpin' don't ya?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

David Atennborough Baumgart!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

Goon cancels New Years: Interrupted by Carp!

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
How outlandish can we expect the native wildlife to be? Will my colonists have to contend with Poisonous Bog Apes and Land Squid? Or will it be Bears and Aurochs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Birds. What are birds? We just dont know. ?

Oooh, the past holiday season has me wondering, will the game feature public events and holidays? Massive festive gatherings around a symbolic pine tree with attached cyclopean monolith, endlessly spewing forth gift after terrifying gift?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I feel compelled to post and say for the nth time that you guys from Gaslamp games are really good at doing developer diaries. There's an excellent amount of discussion of the game's content, the technical aspects that go behind that content, and a measure of how realistic/ambitious your set goals are. It's actually kind of reassuring to see you occasionally say "this isn't working at the moment" or "this will have to be improved before release", because it shows you're able to critically analyse what you're doing and take note of what needs to be fixed.

It also helps that they're quite entertaining, even on topics that might seem dull to someone without the knowledge of your field.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Birds. What are birds? We just dont know. ?

Oooh, the past holiday season has me wondering, will the game feature public events and holidays? Massive festive gatherings around a symbolic pine tree with attached cyclopean monolith, endlessly spewing forth gift after terrifying gift?

Gifts delivered by a team of 8 maimdeer and Sa' Ta', who must be placated by a cup of hot crimble and blood cookies, or else!

The Narrator posted:

I feel compelled to post and say for the nth time that you guys from Gaslamp games are really good at doing developer diaries. There's an excellent amount of discussion of the game's content, the technical aspects that go behind that content, and a measure of how realistic/ambitious your set goals are. It's actually kind of reassuring to see you occasionally say "this isn't working at the moment" or "this will have to be improved before release", because it shows you're able to critically analyse what you're doing and take note of what needs to be fixed.

It also helps that they're quite entertaining, even on topics that might seem dull to someone without the knowledge of your field.

I have to agree. These are entertaining, but they're also really informative on several levels while being neither skimpy nor overbearing. Just bear in mind I always love seeing blooper screenshots, such as if your models were textured with grass and the landscape with skin, because of some ordering error.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

I have to agree. These are entertaining, but they're also really informative on several levels while being neither skimpy nor overbearing. Just bear in mind I always love seeing blooper screenshots, such as if your models were textured with grass and the landscape with skin, because of some ordering error.

That was merely a small side-effect of the natural and health-giving energies of the monolith. The change was also a huge boon for the tanning industry; tomorrow we ship our first batch of Earthskin™ fine red leather coats back to civilization. We're even donating several of the coats to Her Majesty's army... Say, you're not wearing your coat. You do know that the law requires everyone here to wear their coat at all times, right?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Admiral Funk posted:

How outlandish can we expect the native wildlife to be? Will my colonists have to contend with Poisonous Bog Apes and Land Squid? Or will it be Bears and Aurochs?

The native wildlife, so far, is pretty placid (although I do note that David has a strange fondness for protocreatures, i.e. Aurochs and Mammoths and things.) The... not so native wildlife may be a greater threat.

SynthOrange posted:

Will the game feature public events and holidays? Massive festive gatherings around a symbolic pine tree with attached cyclopean monolith, endlessly spewing forth gift after terrifying gift?

... please enjoy your Festive Jar.

The Narrator posted:

Yeah, we aim to please. One of our big goals so far was to open up the development process to everybody so that people get invested in the success and failures, and also so folks know what is going on as much as we can point it out. I think we're all pleased how well it's working. It is difficult to come up with a new blog post every week, though, because some days you stare at it and go "Uh. What did we do this week? Oh, small stuff and chaos."

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Hello Sailor posted:

That was merely a small side-effect of the natural and health-giving energies of the monolith. The change was also a huge boon for the tanning industry; tomorrow we ship our first batch of Earthskin™ fine red leather coats back to civilization. We're even donating several of the coats to Her Majesty's army... Say, you're not wearing your coat. You do know that the law requires everyone here to wear their coat at all times, right?

I love stuff like this, because its perfectly reasonable to read, but part of your mind is going "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.". :allears:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Shadowmorn posted:

I love stuff like this, because its perfectly reasonable to read, but part of your mind is going "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.". :allears:

That would all change if you'd just wear your coat. Your mind doesn't actually stop screaming, per se, but your newfound clarity of purpose makes it much easier to accept that that's the way it has to be.

Just wait at least a week before you stick your hands in the pockets.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Hello Sailor posted:

That would all change if you'd just wear your coat. Your mind doesn't actually stop screaming, per se, but your newfound clarity of purpose makes it much easier to accept that that's the way it has to be.

Just wait at least a week before you stick your hands in the pockets.

Sorry, my well dressed friend, but I had to take up company surgery on my arms. Replaced them with thousands of tiny vibrating pins you see. It makes administration of the Omnimind's lower cortex so much easier but i am wistful for the days that i could wear anything with sleeves.

Perhaps you have a Earthskin™ fine red leather vest i could purchase?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's blogpost: traits! http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/09/breakthroughs-in-the-field-of-reverse-phrenology/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bees! :tinfoil::hf::gonk:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is 'reverse phrenology' a nod to Terry Pratchett and his mention of 'retrophrenology' in one of the Discworld books? (The science of changing people's traits through careful molding of the skull to fit the proper patterns, i.e. hitting them on the head with various sizes of hammers)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think the tags at the end are my favorite part of all the blog posts.

nvining
May 30, 2011

More renderer work today:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/16/whats-new-in-programmertown/#comments

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'm a weirdo, but I LOVE fog. It adds to a sense of mystery, and in my hometown where you've got lazy winding rivers and spartina grass everywhere a good morning fog will make the far coast disappear and allow some pirate galleon or dinosaur to emerge from the mists, and make a short bridge extend into infinity.

Why yes, I could use another swig of Laudanum to enhance my Poetry, pass it round :downs:

Things are looking great, nvining, glad to know you beat the flu.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
The progression of this game continues to amaze me. It seems to cater to every thing I want a game like this to be. Keep up the good work!

I got two questions though. On the threshold between different biomes, will there be special ground textures to make the borders look more natural? One problem with games with different biomes is that the contrast sometimes becomes to great and it sticks out visually.

Finally, will there be insanity involving birds?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Boggus posted:

The progression of this game continues to amaze me. It seems to cater to every thing I want a game like this to be. Keep up the good work!

I got two questions though. On the threshold between different biomes, will there be special ground textures to make the borders look more natural? One problem with games with different biomes is that the contrast sometimes becomes to great and it sticks out visually.

Finally, will there be insanity involving birds?

We're redoing the biome thresholding stuff. I imagine there will be a gradual transition, but the bulk of the new terrain rewrite has been kicked over to Chris, so you'd have to ask him.

There will be insanity involving everything.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I love the fog. I love fog period and love having it in my games. Heck I. The Sims I even cheat so I can build fog generators to add fog to my lots.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I usually keep track of this game's progress by following the various team twitters, so it's seldom more than Today's Prize: Glands and funny things said about Star Trek. Every time I read through the dev diaries, though, I get that much more excited. I've been waiting for you guys to talk about character AI and you didn't disappoint. You get to keep your skulls from being trepanned for yet another day.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I usually keep track of this game's progress by following the various team twitters, so it's seldom more than Today's Prize: Glands and funny things said about Star Trek. Every time I read through the dev diaries, though, I get that much more excited. I've been waiting for you guys to talk about character AI and you didn't disappoint. You get to keep your skulls from being trepanned for yet another day.

I have forwarded your comment about our Twitter services to the team. Just to be clear, do you want more Star Trek jokes or less?

(You don't even see the worst of today's prizes, either. Some of them are pretty awful.)

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
That name is way too generic, I've never clicked on this thread until now because I assumed it was some lovely browser game or F2P MMO nonsense based on the name. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention Gaslamp Games or Dredmor in the title to get more attention.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Adam Bowen posted:

That name is way too generic, I've never clicked on this thread until now because I assumed it was some lovely browser game or F2P MMO nonsense based on the name. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention Gaslamp Games or Dredmor in the title to get more attention.

Yeah we'll see, we'd probably make a new thread when it's close(r) to release.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Daynab posted:

Yeah we'll see, we'd probably make a new thread when it's close(r) to release.

... what he said, although I've never understood the etiquette behind when it is, and is not, appropriate to create a new thread for things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

... what he said, although I've never understood the etiquette behind when it is, and is not, appropriate to create a new thread for things.

Every 2,000 posts or 5 bans, whichever comes first.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nvining posted:

I think when you ramp into beta or release and people are able to play and compare the game among themselves would be a good time for a new thread. At the moment it's a small update from yourself and a small amount of feedback based on the update, which is great for keeping track of development but not necessarily for drawing people to an imminent product or discussing the game itself.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today's update: dirt! And David explains how our internal system for assigning tickets and TODOs work.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/23/dispatch-from-the-ministry-of-art-direction/

Not the most glamorous of blogposts, but it's meat and potatoes so there you go. At the bottom is a picture of the rewrite of the terrain engine that Chris is currently doing as a reward for looking at our ticketing system.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
How close are we to a playable demo?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How close are we to a playable demo?

"A While." We're making good headway, and once I finish hooking up this Lua stuff it'll be a lot faster, but we still have very little actual gameplay to speak of at this point. Lots of systems for making gameplay, but no actual content hooked up in them, fired, working, and balanced.

Hopefully that situation will be resolved by the end of our current internal milestone next Friday, at which point I will have a somewhat clearer picture of what's going on in my head.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

nvining posted:

Today's update: dirt! And David explains how our internal system for assigning tickets and TODOs work.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/01/23/dispatch-from-the-ministry-of-art-direction/

Not the most glamorous of blogposts, but it's meat and potatoes so there you go. At the bottom is a picture of the rewrite of the terrain engine that Chris is currently doing as a reward for looking at our ticketing system.

I like how these updates touch on so many different aspects of developing the game. Even just an overview on one part of the managerial side of things is interesting.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Looking at the terrain art at the end of that screenshot, I'm reminded of Total Annihilation for some reason.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I usually hate steampunk and anything do do with it, (Why the goggles? Does Queen Victoria need something welded?) but I have to say that all the stuff you guys have put out about this has me ready to set my prejudice aside. I'm a huge sucker for Lovecraft, maybe that's helping. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your guys' brand of the steampunk genre appears to be of a higher quality, both aesthetically and "functionally" than the usually zeppelin fest.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

nvining posted:

Hopefully that situation will be resolved by the end of our current internal milestone next Friday, at which point I will have a somewhat clearer picture of what's going on in my head.

I imagine a picture of you with a little cartoon thought bubble with this in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

MoreLikeTen posted:

I usually hate steampunk and anything do do with it, (Why the goggles? Does Queen Victoria need something welded?) but I have to say that all the stuff you guys have put out about this has me ready to set my prejudice aside. I'm a huge sucker for Lovecraft, maybe that's helping. Anyway, I just wanted to say that your guys' brand of the steampunk genre appears to be of a higher quality, both aesthetically and "functionally" than the usually zeppelin fest.

I always suspected the goggles were just in case something needed to be welded right away.

• Locked thread