Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I wish they'd chill out and stop producing content for a few years while I catch up. Focus their efforts on housing, we desperately need more hooks and fireplaces that cast light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So, from a few pages back, but here's my alternate quickbar setup for my champ:

Far left bar: utilities
Mid-left: single-target skills
Mid-right: AOE skills
Far right: oh poo poo buttons and second wind
Bottom right bar: toggles and teleports and non-combat poo poo
Number key bar: fervor builders, and potions and Clobber so I don't have to click them and can reach them faster by jabbing the keyboard.

I got sick of the big stack of buttons on the middle-bottom of the screen. This feels like it blocks less of my view, actually. It's also organized in a way that makes sense kinesthetically instead of just a big block which helps immensely when I play super high, which is all the time.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Captain Backslap posted:

Well, generally speaking, we can be pretty sure Gondor will be the next "big" place. Unless we go directly to Mordor... I don't think the Fellowship ended up in any other regions.

Any hints in Rohan's storyline? I've just started the Rohan content.

It would be amazing if they added in Harad. Wanna see some mumakil in their natural habitat.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

dug fin posted:

It's not just about remembering gambits.

I'd say it's MORE about being able to predict when and where you'll need those gambits. Want to use a 5 gambit chain heal? You better have it done or almost done when you need it, or you'll be dead by the time you string those abilities together. Want to get off a huge aggro grabbing ability to prevent that mob from flattening a hunter? Same deal. If you can't anticipate when you'll need things ahead of time, warden is a bad class. It's probably one of the more interesting classes in an MMO I've seen.

Predicting your rotation comes from knowing your gambits. If you know how to do gambits on a dime with masteries, your gambits basically become a flow chart of what to apply. I saw some of of the spreadsheets/flow charts on rotations but I am too lazy to put any effort into it. You used to have to do the deeds at around level 50 to get masteries but now it's level 20. I can only imagine how easier it is to level a warden now compared to back then.

Remy Marathe posted:

I wish they'd chill out and stop producing content for a few years while I catch up. Focus their efforts on housing, we desperately need more hooks and fireplaces that cast light.

I'd really like to see housing revamped too. There needs to be a house the size of kins that people can buy. This would also give them a chance to purge dead houses to implement a newer neighborhood design. It would be nice to make it like EQ2 but that seems to be asking way too much. I'd also like to see a new housing storage for house items only. My housing storage is dedicated those types of items.

I like how they made those mannequins for buying comestic outfits. Now they just to have make some for people to dress them up and place them in their house somewhere. Also weapon racks or weapon cosmetics.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I find it hard to understand why they haven't released any new housing areas and we're going on 6 years post-launch. One of the most awesome things they could do is let you build a house by itself off in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to build one in Fangorn. I'd imagine they're limited by the lore in where they can expand though.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Kinda toying with this on and off again. Could use a kin invite.

In, thanks.

Ktzi fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

ruffz posted:

I find it hard to understand why they haven't released any new housing areas and we're going on 6 years post-launch. One of the most awesome things they could do is let you build a house by itself off in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to build one in Fangorn. I'd imagine they're limited by the lore in where they can expand though.

As it stands I think they need to do something to sorta revitalize what's there first; too many absentee renters and too few reasons for normal players to do things there. At first I thought the whole upkeep thing, the ability to pay in advance and the escrow broker was so they COULD boot players after inactivity. And the whole argument against crafting facilities in the housing falls apart after they've proven willing to make the Bree crafting hall what it is; they could easily make a housing craft-zone that is shared among all neighborhoods.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In my housing district I've never once seen another player. It's like I'm the mayor of a town with a population of 1. That shouldn't be acceptable for an MMO. I don't know how they'd do it, but merging all the housing districts into one common instance might fix it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Are Hunters that reviled? Seem like a fun and interesting class, and other than maybe Captain or Champion, the only one I'd be interested in playing long term. Is it one of those situations where I'd end up standing on the side using my regular attack or some generic single attack because all my cooler poo poo either causes too much aggro or will AE and break mezz?

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

The thing that keeps me from unlocking my house is that it's a huge drag to have that constant drain on the pocketbook for really no other benefit than "Yep, I have a house that no one, not even me, wants to visit". Also, always having to remember to go back by X date to pay the upkeep is a pain in the rear end. Who needs another thing to keep track of, especially bills in a virtual house?

I honestly think they should get rid of the whole upkeep fee deal (as in, houses should never lock), and instead use some kind of incentive to encourage players to at least visit their places once a week or something. Maybe some kind of random (or not) character buff, like an extra-well-rested XP boost that stacks on top of any current rested XP. Or throw in something there that develops with consistent player attention -- like WoW did with their Halfhill farm thing.

I really DO like my little hobbit house, but it can stay locked until it's a bit more worthwhile to spend gametime there.

\/\/ I don't really consider 300 silver a week to be a paltry sum. :shobon:

Plastic Pal fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 9, 2013

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You can pay upkeep from your character tab so it's basically two extra chests for 300 silver a week or something paltry like that. The only time you ever have to go there is to store or retrieve stuff from said chests.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can everyone making a new character go forester for crafting, please? There's a horrific lack of treated wood on the server, and I need to level up my bowmaking skills.

Any low level dudes need a weapon forged hit me up.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It's very much worth it to get a house for the port location, mailbox, and mass storage that doesn't cost any turbine points, end game at least. I also enjoy decorating the place, even if I only use it for my own personal storage it's a well done housing system compared to other games I've played.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Since we're discussing housing, any suggestions for what and where to purchase? At this point I do have housing unlocked and since all my characters are elves, I was looking at what's in Falathlorn. I do have enough coin for a standard house, but I've been mulling over waiting until I've eventually earned enough to get a deluxe since I am a sucker for tchotchkes and very likely would end up filled to the gills if I went with a standard.

Equally, any suggestions for earning quick coin for characters level 16 and lower or is that a don't even bother kinda thing?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

M_Sinistrari posted:

Since we're discussing housing, any suggestions for what and where to purchase? At this point I do have housing unlocked and since all my characters are elves, I was looking at what's in Falathlorn. I do have enough coin for a standard house, but I've been mulling over waiting until I've eventually earned enough to get a deluxe since I am a sucker for tchotchkes and very likely would end up filled to the gills if I went with a standard.

Equally, any suggestions for earning quick coin for characters level 16 and lower or is that a don't even bother kinda thing?

Become a forester and sell stacks of treated planks for between 500 silver and 2 gold.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Copper (and I guess tin?) sells really well too since it's used for jeweler, armorer and weapon smithing tier 1s.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Is there a "these are the good quests in this area" guide somewhere? I haven't been able to find one other than using common sense - but spending half a level gathering stuff for a market in Oacbarton is something I only want to do once.. Not that I really want to skip content, but it would be nice to avoid stuff that's too tedious.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only approach to that I can really think of is taking it on a case-by-case basis. It's not like very many quests are hidden away where you won't find them unless you're told where they are anyway -- get all the quests in a hub, do the ones that sound fun and skip the ones that don't. Unless there are resources for this I haven't heard of.

I agree with you on Oatbarton, though -- it's easy EXP, but I can't really imagine doing it without drinking heavily or playing Seinfeld on my second monitor (both of which I've done). By that point you're level 30-something. Herding pigs or whatever is level-6 crap.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lars posted:

Is there a "these are the good quests in this area" guide somewhere? I haven't been able to find one other than using common sense - but spending half a level gathering stuff for a market in Oacbarton is something I only want to do once.. Not that I really want to skip content, but it would be nice to avoid stuff that's too tedious.

I've been skipping most of the quests that sound like menial bullshit that goes nowhere, and I'm only doing tasks when I already have the stuff in my bags.

I struggled a little for levels from 25-30 because I skipped north downs and have barely done any instances (hilarious lv 85 goon-assisted barrows runs got me 2/3 a level), but there's no reason to put yourself through anything that sounds tedious.

No need to be overlevelled when you can more easily just be overequipped.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Yeah, I guess I'll just trot along and try and be a little more selective with what I want to do - I'm almost level 37 and have just made my way into Evendim, so I'm a bit over level already by trying to do everything in the other zones before proceeding.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

M_Sinistrari posted:

I have an affection for housing in Thorin's Hall homesteads since that's closest to a major hub for quick travel, despite being the ugliest housing (in my opinion).

My buddy and I made a kinship which has 10+ members among all our alts and accounts. We bought our kinship house and our regular houses in the same neighborhood, which effectively gives each character a second quick travel slot back home.

And yeah if you're a costume hoarder and you regularly earn money from selling crafting materials it's a good solution for needing extra storage. Plus you can do weird poo poo to annoy your neighbors like fill your yard full of chicken coops, as we've done. If only I had a broken down cart to leave in the yard too...

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I agree on both points with Thorin's Hall; the location by quick travel makes it hard to pass up but I find it sorta dreary in there and many decorations seem out of place. The plots with snow on the ground are at least a little cozier. My personal favorite area is the southern end of Chestnut lane, Bree Homesteads. Very cabin-in-the-woods.

I found this page useful, especially the interactive maps linked at the bottom with screenshots of each plot:
http://www.lotrolife.com/lotro_housing_guide/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
God drat Weathertop looks stunning :stare:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lars posted:

Oatbarton is such easy XP though, I can't help but do the whole drat farmer's market. If you're up to 37, you won't get that much XP for it, but make sure to do the full chain in the next little hub, it's entertaining and you get one of the best titles in the game.

Make sure you stick around in Evendim long enough to get the 4 or 5 exploration deeds + quest deed. If you want to stick around a bit more and grind up Kergrim you get a great virtue out of it, but you can also come back at level 70 and do it even faster. Once you're in your low 40s you can head to Angmar, Forochel, or Eregion. Western Angmar starts around 37, and has a decent set of armor, although crit-crafted gear is better.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

SeaTard posted:

[snip] it's entertaining and you get one of the best titles in the game. [snip]
Which title is that? (maybe spoiler it)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

Servant of Process. The title is entertaining, but the real reason it is so great is the whole story line leading up to it, and the description of the title. You end up helping some hobbits evict bandits working for Sharkey (Saruman) that stole some houses from the hobbits. The dialog is great, and the poor little hobbit is so naive. I don't remember the exact description offhand, but as you end up playing a lawyer for the quest chain, the description text is all formal legal language.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I love that quest chain.

Everybody should really play it themselves, but here it is in summary:

All of the hobbits living in a small village on the Shire/Evendim border have been kicked out of their homes by bandits who have turned their town into their local base. This is, of course, so flagrantly against the laws of the Shire and of common decency that one of the displaced hobbits tasks you with finding the bandit leader and inflicting upon him the most severe punishment the Shire judicial system has at its disposal: a VERY strongly-worded and officially notarized Letter Of Complaint. When you find the bandit leader, letter in hand, he of course tells you to piss off, then attacks you, and of course you kill him, but that's not the important part. The important part is that you delivered the letter. Justice has been served! All good hobbits of the Shire will henceforth know you, now and forever, as <character name>, Servant of Process. The system works!

The text of the title:

Let it be known to all Men, Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits (hereinafter 'the Free Peoples') that Will Tuffin, being of suitable age and discretion and found within the boundaries of the Shire, has been served with process in accordance with applicable law and with all due diligence by the bearer of this title. The complainant, Hob Hillbrow, seeks reasonably foreseeable damages as well as exemplary damages, if it please the Court. Respectfully submitted by a servant of process in the case.

It's not quite as good a title as Cake-Eater or The Unwise, but it does just fine until you can get one of those.

e:f;b, but I don't care. This post was a labor of love.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

loquacius posted:

e:f;b, but I don't care. This post was a labor of love.

You did a far better explanation than I did, and it really is that text on the title description that makes it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for the refreshers, I'd forgotten I got a title for that- totally wasted on my LM, for some reason the elf maiden just doesn't jibe with amusing things. And got her butt kicked royally on her first attempt at it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Backslap posted:

Well, generally speaking, we can be pretty sure Gondor will be the next "big" place. Unless we go directly to Mordor... I don't think the Fellowship ended up in any other regions.

Any hints in Rohan's storyline? I've just started the Rohan content.

Next update could have players following Aragorn through the path of the dead and deal with the black fleet before heading up to Gondor. This would mean not getting to be at Gondor for the entirety of the battle though unless they just decide gently caress it and let you do both.

e: Hoping that post-Gondor sends you up towards the Morgul Vale to find Frodo's trail and follow after him. Going right up to the Black Gate and taking part in the fight there just seems like it'd be too light on content.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 9, 2013

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
What are a few of the good common drops im picking up that should be saved and which is the stuff i can just sell? Apparently i should not have been selling my dwarf stones or the wood piles ive been looting from chests and dead bodies. I tried to look on the AH for some stuff but most searches turned up nothing so i had no idea if it was just a rare comodity or worthless.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

You're the Nazgun from last night who was throwing away rune-carved tablets aren't you! :argh:

Pretty much any crafting mat is going to be worth selling on the auction house, if you don't see any on the AH it's actually a good sign that you might get decent money for it.

I seldom have to vendor anything but task items, fishing junk, and the yellow-quality weapons that drop in the world. Some gear with bad stats takes several auction cycles or even has to be vendored, telling which of those will sell gets a little trickier.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

Fuzz posted:

Are Hunters that reviled? Seem like a fun and interesting class, and other than maybe Captain or Champion, the only one I'd be interested in playing long term. Is it one of those situations where I'd end up standing on the side using my regular attack or some generic single attack because all my cooler poo poo either causes too much aggro or will AE and break mezz?

They're not.

If you play well, people won't care what class you are. The limiting reagents for some groups are captains, healers, tanks, and at least one loremaster for raids. If you can be awake at the keyboard, you're in the upper 25% of LOTRO players, so don't fret too much.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Remy Marathe posted:

You're the Nazgun from last night who was throwing away rune-carved tablets aren't you! :argh:

Pretty much any crafting mat is going to be worth selling on the auction house, if you don't see any on the AH it's actually a good sign that you might get decent money for it.

I seldom have to vendor anything but task items, fishing junk, and the yellow-quality weapons that drop in the world. Some gear with bad stats takes several auction cycles or even has to be vendored, telling which of those will sell gets a little trickier.

Its true.. its all true. I am forever shamed :(

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Evil Fluffy posted:

Next update could have players following Aragorn through the path of the dead and deal with the black fleet before heading up to Gondor. This would mean not getting to be at Gondor for the entirety of the battle though unless they just decide gently caress it and let you do both.

The next update will be Fangorn and West Rohan (including Edoras), connecting to Dunland via the Gap of Rohan. So we'll no longer have to get to Great River and Rohan by Lothlorien anymore.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

JFC posted:

The next update will be Fangorn and West Rohan (including Edoras), connecting to Dunland via the Gap of Rohan. So we'll no longer have to get to Great River and Rohan by Lothlorien anymore.

Do you mean update or expansion? That seems like an awful large area for just an update. I'm guessing that the spring update will be just Fangorn and then the fall expansion will be West Rohan. Some people think for some reason that Gondor will be the next expansion but that makes no sense unless West Rohan comes out first.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Beach Party posted:

Its true.. its all true. I am forever shamed :(

I just found it funny because they're one of two things I check the auction house for every time I'm near, so I'm painfully aware of their shortage. Until I get more I will not be able to dye everything crimson!

Don't even discount selling useless items (unless you find it a waste of time); I just got 137 silver for a mounted bullhead.:D

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I need to get a lot better about not vendoring materials for professions that I haven't leveled yet. I've reluctantly gotten rid of a whole bunch of stuff on the way to 85 with both my captain and burglar, simply because I ran out of bag/vault space and was too lazy to mail stuff to an alt. That's coming back to haunt me now that I'm wanting to become self-sufficient and produce my own weapons/gear/consumables.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

ruffz posted:

Do you mean update or expansion? That seems like an awful large area for just an update. I'm guessing that the spring update will be just Fangorn and then the fall expansion will be West Rohan. Some people think for some reason that Gondor will be the next expansion but that makes no sense unless West Rohan comes out first.

Sorry, yeah I meant expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Housing recruitment drive, new goons on Silverlode- if you are moving into Thorin's Hall Homesteads and have no preference, populate the southern portion of Rekstrom, Thorin's Hall. I live there, my friend Phishphlakes' chicken farm is there, and "Stylix" whoever the gently caress he is has opened his home to exploration after an angry letter re his locked door and my inability to use his facilities. I know any attempt at community building is doomed to fail with housing as useless as it is, but if in doubt or without a housing preference? Rekstrom, South Side.

e; apparently Rekstrom is largely rented! DIASPORA

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 9, 2013

• Locked thread