Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How the hell can anyone get enough points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

greatn posted:

I had saved since the start of the Club Nintendo program to get the Zelda poster set back when they had it, and it was definitely worth it. Most of the stuff they have is irrelevant to me, but they can have some pretty great swag among the trash.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

greatn posted:

For gold nunchucks? I've had enough to order two in the past, along with a slew of other poo poo... if I hadn't been dumping points for eShop games recently, I'd probably have another one on the way.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

That's a tough call to make. If they only released the deluxe version then we might be sitting here talking about how Nintendo screwed up by only releasing one SKU at that price point instead.

I think they screwed up on the price, too, so there's that. Releasing only the Deluxe for $329.99 with the digital rebate incentive would've been a good start in the hopes of both driving their install base and online business but that would mean they'd have to eat a loss and Nintendo tries really hard to avoid that. As it stands now, I think sales of the console are gonna dry up by quite a bit come Q4 and we may see another 3DS scramble by Nintendo to make things right, like a price cut and/or free game offer. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 and MH3U aren't exactly system movers.

greatn posted:

poo poo I think I got something like 1200 points from the post-play surveys alone over the years, especially when they were set to expire a few months back. I went through and made sure I did the surveys for everything coming up.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Nintendo releasing two SKUs wasn't a bad idea, but they didn't think the bundle through enough. They really wanted to get to that $300 mark to compete with the 360 and PS3 prices for the holidays. However, the extra $50 for the Deluxe offered more than $50 value and made the package in to a true plug and play experience. The $300 console barely has enough storage to function and didn't even include a little eShop game or demos in the box, meaning you would have to spend at least another $60+ on a game and/or storage before you could get much use out of the system. If they could have gotten that 32GB (or at least 16GB) and some mini games or $10 eShop credit in the box of that $300 console, it would have been much more competitive to the Deluxe.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Lifespan posted:

Nintendo releasing two SKUs wasn't a bad idea, but they didn't think the bundle through enough. They really wanted to get to that $300 mark to compete with the 360 and PS3 prices for the holidays. However, the extra $50 for the Deluxe offered more than $50 value and made the package in to a true plug and play experience. The $300 console barely has enough storage to function and didn't even include a little eShop game or demos in the box, meaning you would have to spend at least another $60+ on a game and/or storage before you could get much use out of the system. If they could have gotten that 32GB (or at least 16GB) and some mini games or $10 eShop credit in the box of that $300 console, it would have been much more competitive to the Deluxe.

Exactly, which is why I think they should've stuck with just the Deluxe, which would mimic what consumers were used to with the Wii bundle too.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hell yeah, just tore up my Wii games until I found one I hadn't registered, I was 20 points short.

Thank you, Wario Land: Shake It!

Related question: Has anyone done a system transfer after playing some Wii games on the Wii U? I let my brother borrow the Wii to play Skyward Sword after I got the Wii U, and haven't done a transfer. I'm wondering if I can start up Xenoblade on the Wii U and do a system transfer at a later date and still retain my save.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 8, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

Hmm, maybe. I think the technical differences between the WiiU and the next X-Box/PS4 will be too large to allow a port to easily be scaled down, which will force developers to create a separate WiiU version ala Dead Rising. I think the more likely scenario is that we'll continue to see ports with added content.

A big difference this time is that the 360/PS3 are going to be supported for a good bit longer, and the WiiU can siphon ports off of those. They went from one year after the more powerful consoles to one year before, and I don't think that's without merit. They got a good number of PS2 ports on the Wii in the early days, and those options should still be there if they can get up to 10 million-ish consoles by next fall.

One thing that will help will be if we see a lot of updates to system functionality/storefront. They appear to be doing better than last go round, but I'm always ready for disappointment with Nintendo.

You are correct that they will be unable to handle most ports from Sony/Microsoft's new stuff without some serious downgrading.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

You are correct that they will be unable to handle most ports from Sony/Microsoft's new stuff without some serious downgrading.

Except we know nothing about those consoles, and all signs point to "Good bit stronger than the 360/PS3 but nothing out of this world since that would be too expensive for the consumer, the developers, and the publishers."

Related: Here's a fun John Carmack interview on the matter! http://lizayzay.tumblr.com/post/40013748182

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 8, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

Because everything else you can get is poo poo, so about 3~ years of not spending any points and buying a 3DS, 3DS XL and Wii U helped boost the coins up.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Louisgod posted:

Exactly, which is why I think they should've stuck with just the Deluxe, which would mimic what consumers were used to with the Wii bundle too.

Then they wouldn't be able to say "Starting at $299!". Really, the only reason they made a Basic, like Lifespan said, is so that they can hit that $300 mark and compete price-wise, when really the Deluxe model is what most people would want.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I think the thing you guys are missing is that Nintendo doesn't want to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii outsold both of those consoles, and tapped into markets that it virtually created itself. I would be really surprised if we didn't see another Wii by 2016ish, getting a faster lifecycle than the other consoles. This not only allows them to get a leg up by being the only console releasing at the time during whatever holiday season, but also stops people from saying the Wii franchise should even have lovely ports instead of its own, unique titles. Plus, the financial barrier really is a lot lower for the Wii so far - 250$ originally? 300-350$ now? Compare that to 500-600$ for the inevitable PS4 & Durango and I really think Nintendo will try to make their market asynchronous, which is probably the best option for them at this point. Plus, the Wii got really weak at the end of its cycle. This would fix that and allow for more hardware experiments, which I think is really refreshing for Nintendo to push.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

A big difference this time is that the 360/PS3 are going to be supported for a good bit longer, and the WiiU can siphon ports off of those. They went from one year after the more powerful consoles to one year before, and I don't think that's without merit. They got a good number of PS2 ports on the Wii in the early days, and those options should still be there if they can get up to 10 million-ish consoles by next fall.

One thing that will help will be if we see a lot of updates to system functionality/storefront. They appear to be doing better than last go round, but I'm always ready for disappointment with Nintendo.

From what I've seen so far, 3rd parties are shying away with porting their big games over, which isn't a good sign. No sign of GTA4, Crisis 3, Castlevania LOS2, and a lot of developers have gone on the record saying they have nothing in the pipeline for the WiiU. The PS2 ports on the Wii were sporadic at best (RE4 in June 2007, Okami 2008, Bully 2008) and aren't going to push people to buy the hardware if they don't launch with their 360/PS3 counterparts like AC3 and BLOPS2 did. 3rd parties aren't going to see an incentive to port things over if the userbase is low. What made the Wii stand out is that it was consistently sold out for the first two years of its life, which doesn't seem like something the WiiU will replicate. 3rd parties saw that huge, huge install base and scrambled to release games, hence the PS2 ports. I think this is why Nintendo should begin subsidizing 3rd party projects.

As for the storefront, it seems really stagnant so far, a month and a half after launch. They have everything in place but really need to bring it to the front.

bilperkins2 posted:

Then they wouldn't be able to say "Starting at $299!". Really, the only reason they made a Basic, like Lifespan said, is so that they can hit that $300 mark and compete price-wise, when really the Deluxe model is what most people would want.

Honestly I think they chose the price they did so they lose as little money as possible on the console, like they did when the 3DS first launched. That $300 competing SKU doesn't seem very competitive and offers little value, in my opinion, especially if their intent is to push their DD games. You know you didn't make a good choice with Iwata has to go on record and apologize for there not being enough Deluxe models.

VarrosAnon posted:

I think the thing you guys are missing is that Nintendo doesn't want to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. The Wii outsold both of those consoles, and tapped into markets that it virtually created itself. I would be really surprised if we didn't see another Wii by 2016ish, getting a faster lifecycle than the other consoles. This not only allows them to get a leg up by being the only console releasing at the time during whatever holiday season, but also stops people from saying the Wii franchise should even have lovely ports instead of its own, unique titles. Plus, the financial barrier really is a lot lower for the Wii so far - 250$ originally? 300-350$ now? Compare that to 500-600$ for the inevitable PS4 & Durango and I really think Nintendo will try to make their market asynchronous, which is probably the best option for them at this point. Plus, the Wii got really weak at the end of its cycle. This would fix that and allow for more hardware experiments, which I think is really refreshing for Nintendo to push.

I think it's clear that Nintendo's strategy has changed a bit this time around as they're trying to also attract the hardcore audience, so when you take that into account then they're definitely competing with the 360/PS3 userbase, ESPECIALLY when there's an overlap with the season's big games (AC3, BLOPS2) along with past fan favorites (Batman, ME3). The Wii was such an amazingly new device for consumers that transcended demographics that price really didn't matter; people needed one, lines/price be damned. It also took 3rd parties way off guard, which lead to them scrambling to create unique experiences. I'm not really seeing this drive with the WiiU despite its uniqueness. I am in love with being able to throw the picture to the gamepad and will buy games for that feature alone, so that may be a future huge selling point.

Anyway, I've been really "doom and gloom" with Nintendo lately but I really think they have a huge uphill battle this time around.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I've been really "doom and gloom" with Nintendo lately but I really think they have a huge uphill battle this time around.

And you're right. It's had a shaky release, I wonder when they're going to release those Christmas numbers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly, Nintendo should buy up Saints Row and the WWE license from the THQ sale and then proceed to pick the bones of every other former Major third party company that's bound to go out of business on the next five years.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I fully support the idea of Nintendo taking more orphaned franchises under their wing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm almost certain the Wii U will see ports of the last set of current gen multiplats found on other systems, but they'll probably come too late for it to matter to those developers (unless Nintendo pays the money that is not-so-subtly being asked for to guarantee those games actually show up on the system sooner rather than later).

People who already own a PS3 or 360 and are already committed to those platforms by virtue of their game collections (physical or digital, the latter of which is being done better by Sony and MS) and DLC, are not all excited to spend another 300-350 bucks for a new console that MIGHT let the ports run smoother/look nicer (assuming the developers put the required effort behind them), ports that may/may not be of games they could get on the thing they already own and will be serviceable enough for them. Like Chronojam said, people are willing to buy games like Skyrim on console, despite there being a definitive version found on PC. Of course, to get that version to run decently, you probably have to spend more money before you even get the game in the first place (unless you're fortunate to already own a good enough PC). Or you could just snag a 360 copy and know that it's going to work as well on your console as it will on every other 360, and still look good enough on a big screen for the average person. That's exactly where the Wii U is at right now.

It's hard to take their push towards digital with the system seriously, given the onboard storage that is available on the Wii U (and given that their online efforts with the Wii and the 3DS are butt of jokes for plenty of reasons). Yeah, everyone posting here is smart enough to know they can buy a wide variety of external drives to enhance their storage, and we all laugh at those who aren't/don't want to do this. To the average consumer this is just another peripheral they have to buy so they can make total use of the online store, without having to worry about what games they can or can't download because of space constraints.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

As an aside, I really think Nintendo screwed up by releasing two separate system SKUs since it's pretty clear people mostly wanted the deluxe and possibly didn't buy the system due to not being able to find one in the first couple weeks. Along with brand confusion, lack of advertisements, and only a handful of enticing games at launch means the system sales and attach rate were "disappointing" to retailer outlets.

I think they wanted a launch price under $300 and splitting it up was the only way they could do it. Nintendo knows the value of effective pricing better than anyone since they just received a pretty harsh lesson on why that is important in the 3DS.

That doesn't mean that it was the right thing to do. Just that they knew what they were doing when they split the SKU's.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

I think they wanted a launch price under $300 and splitting it up was the only way they could do it. Nintendo knows the value of effective pricing better than anyone since they just received a pretty harsh lesson on why that is important in the 3DS.

That doesn't mean that it was the right thing to do. Just that they knew what they were doing when they split the SKU's.

I don't think 2 SKUs was the problem, but somebody forgot to tell Nintendo the part where you don't build any of the crappy one. Release day, many stores got equal numbers of both.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Related: Here's a fun John Carmack interview on the matter! http://lizayzay.tumblr.com/post/40013748182
Is this the link you meant to post? I'm not getting Carmack.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think 2 SKUs was the problem, but somebody forgot to tell Nintendo the part where you don't build any of the crappy one. Release day, many stores got equal numbers of both.

Is this the link you meant to post? I'm not getting Carmack.
poo poo, whoops. Meant to post this http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-19-john-carmack-not-all-that-excited-by-next-gen-hardware

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Random Stranger posted:

Nintendo is slow to learn for some reason. They definitely underestimated the demand for the Deluxe SKU:

quote:

Iwata acknowledged the challenge of producing two Wii U models at the same time, as most customers wanted the premium package, which sold out quickly in many places, while there was a glut of the slightly cheaper Wii U model on store shelves.

"It was the first time Nintendo released two models of the game console at the same time ... and I believe there was a challenge with balancing this. Specifically, inventory levels for the premium, deluxe package was unbalanced as many people wanted that version and couldn't find it," he said.

With that said, I don't think they knew what they were doing with the split SKUs, but I definitely see your point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I'm not so sure that Carmack's point is counter to Louisgod's. Carmack thinks that the new consoles won't change the game (I agree with him), but that says nothing about whether games will be easily ported to the WiiU.

I still expect more ports once the install base grows, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I know they are Wii games but which New Play Control Pikmin should I get? (I've never played a Pikmin game)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spacebump posted:

I know they are Wii games but which New Play Control Pikmin should I get? (I've never played a Pikmin game)

I picked up Pikmin and Pikmin 2 (having never played a Pikmin game before and wanting to thanks to the transfer app), and I've enjoyed Pikmin 2 a lot more. The original was cute, but it has a hard 30-day time limit, which felt too constraining. Pikmin 2 did away with the time limit and added a bunch of really nice features. It's a fantastic game.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Spacebump posted:

Theyre both great, but 2 is easily the better one.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly, Nintendo should buy up Saints Row and the WWE license from the THQ sale and then proceed to pick the bones of every other former Major third party company that's bound to go out of business on the next five years.

The rights to WWE games aren't THQs to sell

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

You buy enough Nintendo crap over the years and not spend the points on anything, you end up affording a lot of the high-end stuff. That's how I was able to get the two Game & Watch DS games, the G&W Ball reproduction, and the gold nunchuck.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Supercar Gautier posted:

I fully support the idea of Nintendo taking more orphaned franchises under their wing.
Nintendo could really do well for themselves (and put seventeen years of Pokemon Money to good use) with this. Put Silicon Knights' (or at least, the IP that made them famous) back to work for them, get their answer to GTA in exclusive Saints Row titles, and add something for their traditional demographic with de Blob. But that would of course require Nintendo to step outside their comfort zone, so~

theflyingorc posted:

I still expect more ports once the install base grows, though.
It occurs to me that if the Durango rumors about a 1.66Ghz processor are accurate, it may be easier to port some types of games from it to Wii U than from 360 to the Wii U. Fewer-but-more-efficient clock cycles on both ends means less code optimization and more just plain scaling down the graphics.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I loved Pikmin 1 for its time constraints.
It made it a matter of survival.

By doing away with that in Pikmin 2, I didn't feel compelled to keep playing as junk forager.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doug Dinsdale posted:

By doing away with that in Pikmin 2, I didn't feel compelled to keep playing as junk forager.

Iwata's said that Pikmin 3's apparently going to be closer to P1 than P2 to regain some of that survival flavour. They deliberately made Pikmin 2 that way to be less stressful, but they know people want something closer to the original.

Chaltab posted:

Nintendo could really do well for themselves (and put seventeen years of Pokemon Money to good use) with this. Put Silicon Knights' (or at least, the IP that made them famous) back to work for them, get their answer to GTA in exclusive Saints Row titles, and add something for their traditional demographic with de Blob. But that would of course require Nintendo to step outside their comfort zone, so~

Fingers crossed, but I'm hoping this is what they're doing with Platinum Games, given they paid to get Bayonetta 2.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

deadwing posted:

Related question: Has anyone done a system transfer after playing some Wii games on the Wii U? I let my brother borrow the Wii to play Skyward Sword after I got the Wii U, and haven't done a transfer. I'm wondering if I can start up Xenoblade on the Wii U and do a system transfer at a later date and still retain my save.

I know first hand that you can do as many transfers as you like, but any saves of the same game on the Wii will replace the ones on the Wii U.

As long as you have no save data of Xenoblade on the Wii internal storage, your Wii U save won't be affected.

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 9, 2013

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

You do have a point about that. Pikmin 1 felt like the stakes were higher. But Pikmin 2 is just so darn relaxing. I play it to chill out, and 1 was stressing me out with that time limit hanging over my head.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I found Pikmin 2 way more stressful than 1. Those dungeons were often really intense.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I love 1 way more for the same reason. There's a good amount of challenge but you get more than enough time to get everything playing through it the first time.

nerdbot posted:

I found Pikmin 2 way more stressful than 1. Those dungeons were often really intense.

Especially if you're going for no deaths. :gonk:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was playing pikmin 2 just last week for the first time and it was chill as hell...until I realized some of the dungeons/holes are roguelike hard. I was in one that was 8 or 9 levels deep, spent probably an hour and a half getting to the bottom and lost all my pikmin on the boss only to realize if that happens you start over at the beginning and lose all your junk :smith: It was like I got kicked in the stomach, such a relaxing game I figured i'd at least get to keep the treasure I found.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I know first hand that you can do as many transfers as you like, but any saves of the same game on the Wii will replace the ones on the Wii U.

As long as you have no save data of Xenoblade on the Wii internal storage, your Wii U save won't be affected.

Thanks for this. I think my roommate had a save file for Xenoblade, so I'll just hold off on that for a month.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

deadwing posted:

Thanks for this. I think my roommate had a save file for Xenoblade, so I'll just hold off on that for a month.

Well you could move his save to the SD card, then it won't be transferred and you can still use it on the Wii.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I never understood the love for Pikmin 2. Pikmin was beautiful, and half the fun was exploring the gorgeous environments, clearing them of enemies, and planning the best paths through them. It was also easily replayable, and the time challenge was a nice way of keeping scoring. Pikmin 2 replaced all of this with endless, bland dungeons.

Still a good game, and I loved the two commander aspect and the white/purple Pikmin, but I've replayed the original at least six times and only beat the second one once.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think the dungeons could stay as long as they were proper, short dungeons. The longer caves in Pikmin 2 were a total loving nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think the dungeons could stay as long as they were proper, short dungeons. The longer caves in Pikmin 2 were a total loving nightmare.

I absolutely loved the long caves in Pikmin 2. Some of my fondest gaming memories come from the later massive caves and the absolute struggle to stay alive in them. What a good loving game, I'd pick up the New Control version to play it again, but with Pikmin 3 so close, I might as well just hang out.

Same dilemma I'm in with Animal Crossing. I've had the hankering to start up a new game for the past six months or so, but the knowledge of a new installment coming is keeping me away. Damnit Nintendo, hurry up and release all these games I want to play. :argh:

• Locked thread