Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fearless posted:

Very nice. That is one game I wish GW would reissue.

They're doing an iPad game of it IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I hate that GW are utterly ignoring the Android market.

Purgey posted:

Thanks. I guess I just have really high standards for painting 15mm stuff. I basically want to paint like this guy some day. http://tinysolitarysoldiers.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-12-05T11:07:00Z&max-results=2

Khurusan Miniatures "Federal Marines" http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmscifi-infantry.html

Khurusan is pretty much the top quality for 15mm sci fi. Their casting is clean, their sculpts are excellent and their selection is also quite good.

What is the ruleset for these? The models look fantastic but I don't see any links for rules on the Khurusan site.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

krushgroove posted:

At least you don't own a Windows Phone! :negative:

fake edit: I love the OS a lot but it sucks balls that nobody ports their apps for WP.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

krushgroove posted:

They have plans for Android, it's just not there yet. I recall them saying Space Hulk would be on Android as well as PC, Mac, and iOs.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I emailed them about the codexes, and got a quick reply saying 'There are currently no plans to release Digital Product for other platforms.'.

For Space Hulk, they say on the About page for the game it's for 'PC, Mac and on iOS' - granted, it'll be really cool to have crossplatform multiplayer, but again no mention of Android.

But yeah at least I'm not complaining about Windows Phone :smug:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Welp shows what I know about Android and hearsay on Dakka :downs:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

ghetto wormhole posted:

At least you don't own a Windows Phone! :negative:

fake edit: I love the OS a lot but it sucks balls that nobody ports their apps for WP.

That's because the only poor life choice we made was getting into miniature wargaming.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Completed an m4 Sherman. I've put it together a little crooked and did a lot of body work to cover the gaps.

Edit: oh, and I think maybe those indescribable turret bag things are upside down. :downs:

Hellbeard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 7, 2013

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Hellbeard posted:

Edit: oh, and I think maybe those indescribable turret bag things are upside down. :downs:

I think the general term is "stowage". Or at least that's what GW uses to describe stuff like that.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

I hope you're being careful with that Hive Tyrant and that shot glass. I roleplay pretty heavy while playing dwarves in Fantasy (which involves getting drunk and smoking lots of tobacco) and I've knocked over my own units a couple times trying to move them. I don't have to worry about such a magnificent piece, and I worry about chipping such a lovely work of art.
Oh, it's not a shot - that's a tasting glass. I'm not a super painter, so the best painting advice I can give is keep your beer in a minifridge by you and drink out of a tasting glass. That way you don't have a whole nice beer getting warm as you paint. Just refill the small glass with cold beer from the bottle as you drink it slowly. Good on you for getting into your dwarf role, though!

Also, if you drink iced coffee while painting, offset it with a good stout or porter. That way the depressants in the alcohol keep your hands from shaking after too much caffeine. :science:

For content, finished some Warriors (for the time being, I want to tidy up some sloppy drybrushing and add some patterns on the carapace).

No more painting for three months, since I'm returning to my job in the conservation corps to live out of a tent and bust rocks and cut trees and play Catachan. Keep up the good work, fellas!

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Do you really play 40k when you're out in the woods? That would be awesome.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Any suggestions for basing stuff that looks like tropical/jungle plants and such?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Do you really play 40k when you're out in the woods? That would be awesome.

I think he was saying he was metaphorically Catachan.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

evenworse username posted:

Any suggestions for basing stuff that looks like tropical/jungle plants and such?

Get down your local pet or garden store, artificial aquarium plants are ideal.

Edit: A further trick i tried is using thin insulated wire (eg earphone cable) running over the base between plants as roots or vines.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 8, 2013

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Another Oath cross post, Vistaril Quillscratch:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Hellbeard posted:

Completed an m4 Sherman. I've put it together a little crooked and did a lot of body work to cover the gaps.

Looks very nice, have you done much FoW stuff?

Stowage is anything extra that's strapped to the tank, like the canopies you mentioned and also the spare wheel on the side of the turret.

If I could offer some C+C it look a bit too green and not drab enough, are you using GW paints? Maybe you could try using a dark wash just in the recesses and a mud colour dry brushed on the tracks and lower hull?

Some decals would really help to add realism and also contrast.

Very very nice job though.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

big_g posted:

Looks very nice, have you done much FoW stuff?

Stowage is anything extra that's strapped to the tank, like the canopies you mentioned and also the spare wheel on the side of the turret.

If I could offer some C+C it look a bit too green and not drab enough, are you using GW paints? Maybe you could try using a dark wash just in the recesses and a mud colour dry brushed on the tracks and lower hull?

Some decals would really help to add realism and also contrast.

Very very nice job though.

Thank you! It's my first tank and I've done two American infantry teams and two German infantry teams before that. The last miniature I've painted before that was in 2001.
Thanks for the critique, I'm a bit color blind and after reading a bunch about what British Olive Drab was like I tried my best(ochre(why does spellcheck think it's ocher?) + black). I've got a mix of Tamiya and Vallejo paints. I used Olive Green, middlestone with black, and German Camo Dark Green. I wonder if maybe the lighting is giving a wrong impression, it does have a dark wash on it. I'll try to take some better lit photos.

I've not got any decals at the moment. I've thought about adding some freehand tactical markings (or making a tiny tiny stencil) but the research to get the right ones seems daunting.

Thanks for the nice compliment!

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

Bachtere posted:

Another Oath cross post, Vistaril Quillscratch:

Very nice! I'd love to see how you paint these beauties some day.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Also, here is a sculpt update:

Goggles, chin straps, pouch clasps and pistol in holster.

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Hazy with attendant thoughts

Hellbeard posted:

Also, here is a sculpt update:

Goggles, chin straps, pouch clasps and pistol in holster.

Your sculpts are one of the reasons I decided to try sculpting for myself!

I made a smashed Cacodemon to go with his more robust buddy I posted a few pages back:

I haven't forgotten his eye - I'll add it with epoxy now that the sculpt is baked.

The diorama will be cluttered with monsters as is, so I think I'll hold off on sculpting the Spider Mastermind and make him as a standalone piece in a larger scale.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Schmuckrat posted:

I made a smashed Cacodemon to go with his more robust buddy I posted a few pages back:

I haven't forgotten his eye - I'll add it with epoxy now that the sculpt is baked.

The diorama will be cluttered with monsters as is, so I think I'll hold off on sculpting the Spider Mastermind and make him as a standalone piece in a larger scale.

This is pretty cool. Also, what is that stuff, fimo?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Schmuckrat posted:

Thanks so much. I'm very happy that you were inspired! I think your sculpts are really cool. I pointed them out earlier to my wife, actually. Looking forward to seeing more.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here tried the Army Painter purple or blue colored primers? I'm thinking of using one of them to crank out Warriors of Chaos pretty quickly. I tried their silver primer and their white primer, and hated both. But my buddy uses a couple of their other colors with no problem. I'm wondering if the blue and purple are decent or skunky poo poo like the silver and white.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What do you mean by skunky? I was going to try their white primer.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It went on really fuzzy and was useless. I may have gotten a bad can, I dunno. Eventually I settled on P3 White Primer since it's the only one that's been consistently good for me. There are probably cheaper options that work, but I'd rather just stick with what I know works even if it costs me a few more bucks a can.

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004

Sole.Sushi posted:

This is pretty cool. Also, what is that stuff, fimo?

Thanks! It's Super Sculpey Firm. Also, here's my work-in-progress Doom Guy, cobbled together from several Reaper minis with a bit of epoxy work for the helmet and armour:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Schmuckrat posted:

Thanks! It's Super Sculpey Firm. Also, here's my work-in-progress Doom Guy, cobbled together from several Reaper minis with a bit of epoxy work for the helmet and armour:

Do Wulfenstein's Robo-Hitler next, TIA

Schmuckrat
Sep 9, 2004
Maybe I will . . . after I finish all this Doom stuff, maaaaybe I will :dukedog:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Current WIP

So, I took a break from painting a little bit due to vacation though pseudo-Gandalf didn't get too much work done. I ended up doing some bare highlights, particularly on the leather vest and the skin, some weeks ago. Today, I put on some Testor's Glosscote and I'll probably be putting on the Dullcote (or maybe the Army Painter matte varnish) tomorrow.

I started painting the other wizard practice mini and I ended up base coating the robe, the staff, part of the owl, and the cloak then took that holiday break. The cloak was a bitch to paint since I primed white then tried painting Coat d'arms Vampire Red over it. HOOOOLY SHIIIIT, a million coats of that poo poo and it still doesn't come out smooth and uniform. Came back to it today and basecoated the other important parts like the scroll, the face and eyes, and more of the cloak. The cloak looks better than before but still a little mottled. I feel a little proud of the eyes today because they actually turned out well. I expect tomorrow will be doing some further touch ups and shading (ugh, still gotta figure out these misformulated Bursley washes I made).

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Here is my finished Goblin Shaman, he was a quick job and I did not enjoy it at the end:

So I ordered the AS-186 compressor (happy to answer any questions about it if anyone wants to know) so I have been playing around with airbrush that you get in there. I am currently working on the limited edition DV mini:

I am quite happy with what I have been able to do with it so far and this is my first stab at it. I really think I need to get a decent airbrush though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Hellbeard posted:

I've not got any decals at the moment. I've thought about adding some freehand tactical markings (or making a tiny tiny stencil) but the research to get the right ones seems daunting.

Decals are nice but you don't really need them. Tank crews quite often painted over the vehicle markings because they were essentially an aiming point for enemy anti tank guns.

Your Sculpting stuff is awesome by the way.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Fyrbrand posted:

It went on really fuzzy and was useless. I may have gotten a bad can, I dunno. Eventually I settled on P3 White Primer since it's the only one that's been consistently good for me. There are probably cheaper options that work, but I'd rather just stick with what I know works even if it costs me a few more bucks a can.

I had the same experience with Army Painter sprays, but I recently purchased a new one (Uniform Grey) which had nozzle in a new design. This seems like a vastly superior spray to the old ones I've tried, so I don't know if it was their nozzles that made them poo poo before and they've improved on that. If this new nozzle is a permanent design change, I'm willing to use Army Painter in more instances then when they are the only alternative.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I would really recommend anyone with an airbrush using the Vallejo surface primers. They come in a variety of colours and go on very smooth. Even with my ghetto airbrush I got a flawless surface. At £2.10 a pop from most hobby shops carrying the Vallejo range, they will last twice as long or maybe more compared to a can. You will also ensure that you get 100% coverage.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What are the pros and cons of the Vallejo primers versus gesso? I've got both, and I'm not entirely certain which one is better for which purpose.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheBlobThing posted:

I had the same experience with Army Painter sprays, but I recently purchased a new one (Uniform Grey) which had nozzle in a new design. This seems like a vastly superior spray to the old ones I've tried, so I don't know if it was their nozzles that made them poo poo before and they've improved on that. If this new nozzle is a permanent design change, I'm willing to use Army Painter in more instances then when they are the only alternative.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I'll give them another shot I guess.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Fyrbrand posted:

Has anyone here tried the Army Painter purple or blue colored primers? I'm thinking of using one of them to crank out Warriors of Chaos pretty quickly. I tried their silver primer and their white primer, and hated both. But my buddy uses a couple of their other colors with no problem. I'm wondering if the blue and purple are decent or skunky poo poo like the silver and white.
I have their Angel Green, and both black and white. The all work perfectly.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Been using Army Painter stuff to quick paint my crap for about a year now. It's always worked well for me.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Fyrbrand posted:

Cool, thanks for the insight. I'll give them another shot I guess.

No problem. Be advised though, that I bought an Angel Green about 2 months ago which had the old nozzle, and a Uniform Grey about a week ago with the new nozzle, so they might still have batches of the old nozzled sprays sitting around.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Friendly Fire posted:

Decals are nice but you don't really need them. Tank crews quite often painted over the vehicle markings because they were essentially an aiming point for enemy anti tank guns.

Your Sculpting stuff is awesome by the way.

US tank crews would rarely paint over the large white stars but not the unit markings and serial numbers. When you are painting a model that realistically is just a hunk of metal painted uniformly all over in olive drab I find they really help add depth and something else to a model.

This is why details and weathering are more important on historicals than in something like GW models which are full of colour and all sorts of busyness by definition.

Just pick this up and go hog wild.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=316

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I finished my unit of immortals today! These were a lot of fun to paint, I really dig the eye-searing yellow. The lord is still a WIP - I decided to repaint the warscythe blades yellow as well - daring, but I hope it'll turn out okay.

Especially proud about the fact that I finally painted up the five metal dudes in the back as well - they used to be my oldest models in the "to draw"-box.

• Locked thread