Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
"Spring Man: No, not the season"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mister Roboto posted:

Getting the magnet beam in itself is a chore, so that argument really doesn't work. Saying you can just bypass them doesn't change the fact the stage pits are horrible design. That's like saying some rpg boss's AI is too stupidly hard, but you one-shot it with this nuke. Well, yeah, but that doesn't change the original bad design.

What? It's just behind a destructible brick in Elecman's stage. So you either blow it up with Bombman's bombs, or I think electricity can break those bricks too so just kill Elecman and then run the stage again up to the part. I don't think you even have to finish the level to keep it. Sure it's lovely level design, but even if you run it straight it's still nowhere near as bad as MM9 lovely level design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, MM9's level design is so far ahead of MM1's it isn't even funny. I just ran through MM9 again on the PS3 thanks to it being free and it's nowhere near bad, it just encourages a lot of special weapon use.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Awful.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

raditts posted:

What? It's just behind a destructible brick in Elecman's stage. So you either blow it up with Bombman's bombs, or I think electricity can break those bricks too so just kill Elecman and then run the stage again up to the part. I don't think you even have to finish the level to keep it. Sure it's lovely level design, but even if you run it straight it's still nowhere near as bad as MM9 lovely level design.

Nothing in MM9 is on the level of Guts Man's or Ice Man's level.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's ridiculous. Rotating platforms with rain physics is much more difficult than jumping on three slow moving zippers that line up the first time you get on them.

And ice man's helicopter heads sands magnet beam are no more difficult than Heat Man's super long disappearing blocks and bottomless pit section sans item 2.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

greatn posted:

That's ridiculous. Rotating platforms with rain physics is much more difficult than jumping on three slow moving zippers that line up the first time you get on them.

And ice man's helicopter heads sands magnet beam are no more difficult than Heat Man's super long disappearing blocks and bottomless pit section sans item 2.

I'll concede on the rotating platforms, but Ice Man's helicopter head are way more difficult than the disappearing/reappearing blocks.

With the blocks, you can die from mistiming a jump, being fooled by the layout, or just poor playing.
With Ice Man's helicopter dudes, you can die from faulty collision causing you to fall through the platform.

The unpredictability puts it on another level.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You are mostly correct, but the collision problem isn't unpredictable, it's timed. You will fall through if you try to land while they fire if they are moving downward. Movement is random but they fire at regular intervals. You have to be pretty good though to spot the pattern. In Wily 1 you are at the mercy of them if they want to just fly into the ceiling.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

"You can work around the glitch if you know how it works" doesn't make it not bullshit.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I think 10 beats 9 in the bullshit troll-game department. For example, in Pump Man's stage there's a shrimp swimming around a platform you have to jump down to. If all you have is the mega-buster, I don't think you can avoid damage. Also, if you land too close to the edge, you'll get knocked in a pit and die.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is it just me or does MM10 also have the worst collection of weapons in the series? Even if you ignore Thunder Wool, everything else is really situational and/or costs way too much energy. This is right after MM9 had some of the best weapons.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Water Shield and Triple Blade were pretty good, and Solar Blaze seems like a good way to do a bit more damage to something right in front of you Or behind :rolleyes:, but I haven't played around with it much.

I think they could've done better with giving you things to use your weapons on. It wouldn't have been too hard to work in places to use Wheel Cutter or Chill Spike.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I've watched all SimplySimon's amazing LPs of Megaman games and was kinda considering playing myself some Megaman at some point. What would be a good starting point to the series; the original Megaman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Is it just me or does MM10 also have the worst collection of weapons in the series? Even if you ignore Thunder Wool, everything else is really situational and/or costs way too much energy. This is right after MM9 had some of the best weapons.

It's really bad. I don't know if it is the worst but it's awful, especially compared to MM9 which may have the best collection of weapons in the series. It's a really shocking difference.

It doesn't help that MM9 had tons of uses for your weapons while MM10 barely had any besides boss weaknesses.

TehGherkin posted:

So I've watched all SimplySimon's amazing LPs of Megaman games and was kinda considering playing myself some Megaman at some point. What would be a good starting point to the series; the original Megaman?

Skip to 2. It's the first place they really *get* the formula but before they start introducing the more advanced stuff in MM3 and onwards.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

TehGherkin posted:

Not if you want to like the series. I'd say one of MM4-MM6 to get you introduced, as they're beginner friendly. Then maybe MM2. MM3 is undoubtedly the highest quality of the classics, but can be difficult.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

TehGherkin posted:

Simon's LPs kind of demonstrated why that's a bad idea.
V seemed to be a good "introductory" mega man, or if you want to go in order 2 would be a good start.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'd say go with 2, it's got most of the iconic Megaman stuff (intro pan up the skyscraper, Wily theme).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

As bad as some as 10's weapons are, I still used Triple Blade and Chill Spike more than anything in MM5, so they're not the absolute worst. Most of them suffer from a gimmick attached. I think they were trying to avoid having a MM9 situation where the game was moderately challenging until you beat Jewel Man, Galaxy Man or Splash Woman and trivialized nearly everything.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Reminder that MM2 had Bubble Lead, the triple air shooter, crash bombs, and heat man's charging weapon.

Everyone just used the metal blade and wood man's shield.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
But Air Shooter's actually pretty handy.

Its major problem is that Metal Blades exist. It's not a bad weapon at all. Just outclassed by one of the most broken weapons in the series.

Also MM9 has the best weapon set, hands down.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Reminder that MM2 had Bubble Lead, the triple air shooter, crash bombs, and heat man's charging weapon.

Everyone just used the metal blade and wood man's shield.

Quick Boomerang is a pretty great mid-range weapon. But yeah, Mega Man 2 had a lot of gimmicky weapons with limited practical value, like Leaf Shield only being useful against Pipis and the infinitely respawning enemies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Simon's LPs kind of demonstrated why that's a bad idea.
V seemed to be a good "introductory" mega man, or if you want to go in order 2 would be a good start.
I always say that 5 is the best one to start with. Very polished, the Buster is overpowered as gently caress and it's generally pretty easy. First I beat, and it's always going to have a soft spot with me :).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

"You can work around the glitch if you know how it works" doesn't make it not bullshit.

Bullshit yes, but unpredictable or luck based no. I'm curious, did they fix the platforms in the Wily Wars version?

I was just watching the Rockman and Forte SDA speed run, and so many times they kept saying "Bass can just jump over this. Bass doesn't have to use ice wall here, this is so much easier with Bass" and each time I was thinking "This is exactly why Bass is a terrible character." He can just jump over everything, where's the fun in that?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

As bad as some as 10's weapons are, I still used Triple Blade and Chill Spike more than anything in MM5, so they're not the absolute worst. Most of them suffer from a gimmick attached. I think they were trying to avoid having a MM9 situation where the game was moderately challenging until you beat Jewel Man, Galaxy Man or Splash Woman and trivialized nearly everything.

I used to think MM5 had the worst weapons, but Simon's LPs gave me a bit more appreciation. Granted, I'm still one of those minimalists who tends to use special weapons as little as possible.

Like MM10, MM5 has a lot of gimmicky weapons, but they're far less gimmicky and spend less weapon energy. Power Stone is complete poo poo, but a lot of the others are more useful than they let on, like Charge Kick and Napalm Bomb. The main reason you never really had to use any weapons in MM5 was because the buster took care of everything.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

gandlethorpe posted:

The main reason you never really had to use any weapons in MM5 was because the buster took care of everything.

Now that you mention it, that's probably why the bad weapons stuck out so much in 10.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You can play as a character other than Proto Man in MM10?

But yeah, I try and try but I can't find any kind of use for most of those weapons (speaking of which, I should pick up the game again...). Solar is okay, Chill surprisingly good at some places and against some things (not only in Nitro, mind), Pump is great if only because it's a shield, Blade is...fine, I guess, but so generic. The other four are trash of the purest order.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I dunno what they were thinking with Proto Man in Mega Man 9/10. Double damage and double knockback is sadistic, and his charge shot is actively detrimental since he can only fire two shots at a time to "balance" it out. And in MM9 I don't even think the Proto Shield could block anything other than those little Mettal pellets.

And on Mega Man 5, I could see a use for some of its weapons even if some are outright inferior to other ones (Rain Flush), but the real problem I always had with using them is that the game's enemy placement feels designed around the mentality that they player is always gonna have a charge shot lined up, like the lions in Napalm Man's stage. Although yeah, I'll admit that I haven't experimented with 5's weapons as well as I could have.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Proto Man can slide and has a charge shot. That's all you really need to know, I think.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Last Celebration posted:

And on Mega Man 5, I could see a use for some of its weapons even if some are outright inferior to other ones (Rain Flush), but the real problem I always had with using them is that the game's enemy placement feels designed around the mentality that they player is always gonna have a charge shot lined up, like the lions in Napalm Man's stage. Although yeah, I'll admit that I haven't experimented with 5's weapons as well as I could have.

Isn't Rain Flush in 4? (Unless I'm misreading your intended statement)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I screwed that up. I meant that Gravity Hold is a joke compared to Rain Flush.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gravity Hold has the big advantage of being instant. It's an absolute life-saver in some situations, like when a tiger is just about to knock you off a ledge; you can go into the weapons menu, switch to the Hold, hammer the button three times and off it goes flying. As it actually deals damage, just doesn't kill enemies but rather makes them fly away on the last hit, you can couple it with Buster shots, too. As in two pellets on a tiger with 3 health and then a Hold will make it fly, or two Holds and a single shot will destroy it. Very well programmed.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You should only play as Protoman if you want to tear your hair out. ESPECIALLY on hard. :getin:

Bass is ok. He's basically is counterpart from MM and Bass. It still feels weird that they basically stripped Megaman of what he used to have and make Protoman the designated charge and slide. It's a pretty lovely compromise.

Kinda why I don't like 10 as much as 9.

I will say this the MM weapons tend to be much more fun than the X weapons. They aren't as fun honestly. Unless you are Zero in X4, then you have some fun doing some combos like a the fire shoryuken (which it basically is ) and then downstab and end with Web Spiders move.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've always found X-series weapons more fun, especially since you can charge them. It also helps that the platforming is more dynamic, so things that might not be useful in a classic game can still shine.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

I've always found X-series weapons more fun, especially since you can charge them. It also helps that the platforming is more dynamic, so things that might not be useful in a classic game can still shine.

Then you get to Mega Man X5 where all of X's weapons are just...gimmicky unfun bullshit :(

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Volt Catfish posted:

Then you get to Mega Man X5 where all of X's weapons are just...gimmicky unfun bullshit :(

Weapons? What weapons?
Acquire Ultimate Armor (legitimately, for once). Press R2 a lot. Win game.
I think I used the weapons only to collect the other armors/upgrades that were needed for them... and obviously appropriate bosses, until I had legitimate Ultimate Armor.

Speaking of which, the Black Devil in X5 is the hardest one of the "Devil" bosses if you ask me. He doesn't move fast, he is just too big and you have no room to move in that room. Although you can cheese him by just grabbing the wall and staying in the corner while he moves, then air dash over him as he reforms.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
My first MM game was MMX-3.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 23, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Volt Catfish posted:

X5 was just an awful, lovely turd of a game. People seem to go easy on it just because X6 and X7 were so much worse.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Mister Roboto posted:

Again, people forget the earlier games...the first Yellow Devil is pretty much impossible. I don't know how any kid beat him without the elec cheat.

I don't know, I had a lot more trouble with the clone Megaman who unleashes the ultimate weapon of "walking up to you and pacing back and forth so you're constantly taking damage because you can't get any distance from him."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mister Roboto posted:

Again, people forget the earlier games...the first Yellow Devil is pretty much impossible. I don't know how any kid beat him without the elec cheat.

What is the elec cheat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

raditts posted:

What is the elec cheat?

If you constantly press start after using Thunder Beam, it'll "activate" Thunder Beam on every frame or something, yeah?