Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Was Vectorman a special chip game? I didn't think the Genesis had many at all, yeah.

I love how that was possible with cartridge games, though. Shame it can't be done with disc games, but I guess maybe architectures aren't as extendable as they used to be anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Code Jockey posted:

Was Vectorman a special chip game? I didn't think the Genesis had many at all, yeah.

I love how that was possible with cartridge games, though. Shame it can't be done with disc games, but I guess maybe architectures aren't as extendable as they used to be anyway.

There's only one special chip and that is the Virtua, which was included in Virtua Racer--Vectorman was completely software. Interestingly, Virtua Racer will not run on a Genesis 3, but that doesn't really matter.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Oh boy... What am I getting myself into :shepface:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wasper posted:

Of course Star fox will never work with a SEGA Genesis, but really, how many Genesis games had special chips in them anyways?

Only one off the top of my head is Virtual racing.

I don't think I am following you? The Everdrive is a flashcart "line"; there are ones for the SNES, Genesis, and so forth.

hitze posted:

Oh boy... What am I getting myself into :shepface:

Hell's yeah! PROTIP: Those boxes are almost identical to VHS tapes, so they will fit swimmingly in most VHS racks.

See also: Famicom carts and cassette tapes (I don't know why I am so proud that I figured this out; no one else seems to care :) )

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah there's just something that feels "right" about the SFC box size. It's probably due to growing up with VHS tapes, but I got my first SFC box a month ago and I loved it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

univbee posted:

Amazon seems to have Class 10 64 gig SDXC cards for $40 if you really want to go insane.

Even if you inflated the entire GoodSNES library you wouldn't even touch that. I guess you could get really optimistic for more MSU-1 games to happen, though.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

univbee posted:

:siren: Retrogate has the SD2SNES back in stock, just happened 3 hours ago. :siren:

gently caress this is an expensive thread to lurk in. Thanks for the heads up on this, I lost control and am reminded what :retrogames: is all about

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I remember a lot of Genesis games (especially EA games) being taller than normal and having a little recessed yellow plastic part. What was that all about?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dross posted:

I remember a lot of Genesis games (especially EA games) being taller than normal and having a little recessed yellow plastic part. What was that all about?
A lot of EA's early Genesis games were unlicensed so they used their own cartridge design. Sega apparently couldn't supply them with a devkit so EA somehow acquired one through shady means and reverse-engineered it to develop games. The 80's was a weird time for the games industry.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Dross posted:

They're unlicensed carts, and that tab doesn't really do anything, it just has the company's logo on it.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I don't think I am following you? The Everdrive is a flashcart "line"; there are ones for the SNES, Genesis, and so forth.
Huh, i thought that was what they called the genesis flash carts. Oh well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pablo Gigante posted:

A lot of EA's early Genesis games were unlicensed so they used their own cartridge design. Sega apparently couldn't supply them with a devkit so EA somehow acquired one through shady means and reverse-engineered it to develop games. The 80's was a weird time for the games industry.

Funny, I'm just reading the horribly titled but pretty good book "All your base are belong to us", where they talk about how Trip Hawkins started EA and reverse engineered the Genesis.

I think the guys behind the 7th Guest were being given a tour of EA and saw what they were doing, and called him out on it thinking this would get them a contract to make a game and hush up about it. It worked.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Dross posted:

There was a nice article in Game Informer about how EA got into Genesis development (reverse engineering the Genesis) and I believe the yellow strip was an advertising ploy.

Edit beaten: JK the yellow strip holds in all the bits.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

triplexpac posted:

Funny, I'm just reading the horribly titled but pretty good book "All your base are belong to us", where they talk about how Trip Hawkins started EA and reverse engineered the Genesis.

He also did an interview with Retro Gamer magazine some time ago on the same topic. It's easy to hate on EA these days but they really did pioneer modern game development in the west.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

OSI bean dip posted:

FF7 and FF8 for the PC were superior due to that aforementioned MIDI. Is there a way to play the awesome MIDI files without having to use a virtual machine?
I don't know about those games specifically, but you can use Timidity or a real sound card. Timidity is basically an emulator. FluidSynth is cool too if you need MIDI playback. Having an actual sound card is nice because they are just like having a synthesizer built into your computer. This means it has its own ram to store soundfonts.

When people talk about crappy MIDI music, it is usually because the general MIDI soundfont supplied with Windows was horrible. If you are hearing primitive bleeps and bloops instead of CD quality music, this is the reason.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
No discussion of MIDI is complete without the ultimate MIDI accessory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

FF7 and FF8 for the PC were superior due to that aforementioned MIDI. Is there a way to play the awesome MIDI files without having to use a virtual machine?

MIDI support from Vista onwards was all but edited out of the OS, and is actually one of the few things that newer Macs (I think) still support better than the newer Windows OSes. What also doesn't help is that the AWE64 I mentioned earlier doesn't have drivers past Windows XP (and was an ISA card anyway, so good luck having a mobo with the required slots), and you're similarly SOL for the Yamaha XG stuff which was the next-best thing, but was usually in the form of a daughter card that clipped onto the side of an existing sound card (again, I think they did away with this well before the move to PCI-based sound cards).

The best you can do, keeping in the :retrogames: spirit, is buy an M-Audio Uno, which is basically a USB-to-MIDI adapter and costs $40. On top of this, you need an actual MIDI device to hook up to it; this can be a music keyboard if you have a fancy enough one, but as far as designed-for-games goes, your choices are basically the Roland MT-32 and the SC-55, with the latter being likely the only one that won't sound wrong (the MT-32 used its own nonstandard instrument layout which is required for really old DOS games pre-King's Quest VI, with newer games like FF7 requiring the standard General MIDI layout). Both of those are basically eBay-only. This may still not work; I got my MT-32 working with DOSBox but never with ScummVM.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

This is excellent. Thank you.

I just read where you quoted me and I had typoed, but I am assuming that you figured out I meant "Poor Man's Clean Room".

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

univbee posted:

:siren: Retrogate has the SD2SNES back in stock, just happened 3 hours ago. :siren:

Thank you so much. I had no idea about this site, so I was going to spend something like $50 more at StoneAgeGamer instead in a month or two. This will mark the beginning of my long descent into :retrogames:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

univbee posted:

MIDI support from Vista onwards was all but edited out of the OS, and is actually one of the few things that newer Macs (I think) still support better than the newer Windows OSes. What also doesn't help is that the AWE64 I mentioned earlier doesn't have drivers past Windows XP (and was an ISA card anyway, so good luck having a mobo with the required slots), and you're similarly SOL for the Yamaha XG stuff which was the next-best thing, but was usually in the form of a daughter card that clipped onto the side of an existing sound card (again, I think they did away with this well before the move to PCI-based sound cards).
I find that really hard to believe, Ubuntu's standard install can have you loading soundfonts onto a PCI sound card from the get go. You shouldn't have to buy a sequencer to get MIDI support, if you want it to sound like a specific synth, you just use the soundfont. It will sound exactly the same, except you don't have to send the audio back. Considering the small cpu footprint of software MIDI, yours is an extreme solution to a relatively simple problem.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Also congratulations to all of you that just bought SD2SNES. Best investment I ever made, ever.

Also I hope all of you play Super Road Blaster because the MSU-1 is amazing.

univbee posted:

The best you can do, keeping in the :retrogames: spirit, is buy an M-Audio Uno, which is basically a USB-to-MIDI adapter and costs $40.

What the hell that is not worth $40. I bought one for $15 like ten years ago. Even the E-MU XMIDI on Amazon Prime is $25, and even then I'd just say get a cheap-rear end eBay one.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 10, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought an everdrive two weeks ago because I didn't want to wait for the sd2snes. Looking through the supported games, its tough to say I regret it. You can mod the dsp1 chip into the everdrive. Now to wait for it to come through customs ...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

I bought an everdrive two weeks ago because I didn't want to wait for the sd2snes. Looking through the supported games, its tough to say I regret it. You can mod the dsp1 chip into the everdrive. Now to wait for it to come through customs ...

The regular Everdrive certainly is great. It's just that special chip games will never work on it, the loading can be a bit slow, and it uses that type of flash memory that only lasts around 10 years (I know, total :goonsay: but some people have a problem with that). The SD2SNES is (hopefully) going to make homebrew SNES stuff incredible soon.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I find that really hard to believe, Ubuntu's standard install can have you loading soundfonts onto a PCI sound card from the get go. You shouldn't have to buy a sequencer to get MIDI support, if you want it to sound like a specific synth, you just use the soundfont. It will sound exactly the same, except you don't have to send the audio back. Considering the small cpu footprint of software MIDI, yours is an extreme solution to a relatively simple problem.

Extreme solutions to a simple problem in the $400 upscaler thread? :spergin:

By soundfont do you specifically mean the AWE32/64 stuff, or something custom? The last time I looked into software-based solutions they really didn't sound good, but in fairness I think the last time I had a serious look was when Final Fantasy 7 and 8 on PC were new titles.

ACID POLICE posted:

What the hell that is not worth $40. I bought one for $15 like ten years ago. Even the E-MU XMIDI on Amazon Prime is $25, and even then I'd just say get a cheap-rear end eBay one.

Good to know, the M-Audio is the one I'm familiar with because of it's use in Pro Tools (which would also explain the :retrogames: ), but knowing cheaper alternatives exist is good.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I found a lot of Super Nintendo boards on eBay in case anyone is interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lof-of-31-Super-Nintendo-Boards-As-Is-SNES-/251211165389?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7d5a2ecd

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

The regular Everdrive certainly is great. It's just that special chip games will never work on it, the loading can be a bit slow, and it uses that type of flash memory that only lasts around 10 years (I know, total :goonsay: but some people have a problem with that). The SD2SNES is (hopefully) going to make homebrew SNES stuff incredible soon.

So uh, how long does the flash memory in the sd2snes last for?

(Just got my sd2snes, but i have to wait two weeks for my snes to show up- life is cruel.)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

WendigoJohnson posted:

I mean there's loads of people who will go out and spend a ton on NES and Super NES games like Final Fantasy I, II, and III but have no idea about games like Phantasy Star II and IV which were equal in quality to any of the Final Fantasies of the 16 bit generation.

This opinion has honestly floored me. I mean, I've played and beaten Phantasy Stars 1 through 4 (and enjoyed them, even, except for 3) but they're nowhere even approaching the same quality as, say, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound. I'd say PS IV is almost, but not quite, as good as the second-tier SNES RPGs like Lufia. And I'd say that II is more along the lines of the quality of the lower, good-but-not-amazing, tier of SNES RPGs like Paladin's Quest.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
(e: got a controller from a thread bro thanks yall)

univbee posted:

Good to know, the M-Audio is the one I'm familiar with because of it's use in Pro Tools (which would also explain the :retrogames: ), but knowing cheaper alternatives exist is good.

No worries. MIDI is the simplest serial protocol ever and nobody should ever be forced to burn money for MIDI connectivity. I say this as someone who has boxes of MIDI cables and boxes.

e: I might have one, I'll look around and PM you if I find it

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 11, 2013

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ACID POLICE posted:

No worries. MIDI is the simplest serial protocol ever and nobody should ever be forced to burn money for MIDI connectivity. I say this as someone who has boxes of MIDI cables and boxes.

I don't suppose you've got any spare usb to midi cables, do you? I want to hook my RB3 keyboard to my PC so I can play around with it.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

...! posted:

This opinion has honestly floored me. I mean, I've played and beaten Phantasy Stars 1 through 4 (and enjoyed them, even, except for 3) but they're nowhere even approaching the same quality as, say, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound. I'd say PS IV is almost, but not quite, as good as the second-tier SNES RPGs like Lufia. And I'd say that II is more along the lines of the quality of the lower, good-but-not-amazing, tier of SNES RPGs like Paladin's Quest.

This is the kind of argument that will cause fanboys to flip their poo poo but I will say that Phantasy Star II came out before the SNES was even announced. It's best compared to to Dragon Warrior II in terms of release dates.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

the_lion posted:

So uh, how long does the flash memory in the sd2snes last for?

(Just got my sd2snes, but i have to wait two weeks for my snes to show up- life is cruel.)

I can't recall what the types of memory they are named, but the SD2SNES is the good one. Same for the RetroUSB SNES PowerPak. Unfortunately the Nintendo M82 uses the crappier type of flash memory for the boot up sequence so eventually they will all fail.

I'd be all over this but no cases/shells makes it pretty much worthless. However, I really could have used those about 6 months ago :haw:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

...! posted:

I'm not sure what it is about Phantasy Star 4, but I can easily put it in the top tier of 16-bit RPG Juggernauts as Chrono Trigger, FF6, Earthbound, and Lufia 2. I honestly can't fathom putting it in the same tier quality wise as the first Lufia. Obviously everyone has different opinions on this sort of thing, and I'm not sure what really draws me to really enjoy PS4 as much as I do. I guess it's a combination of the characters, the combination attacks, and the anime style cut scenes. I'm not really even a big fan of any of the other Phantasy Star's (played 1, beat 2, and 3) so it's not love for the series or anything. I can definitely agree with putting PS2 or 3 in the same quality tier as something like Paladin's Quest though.

On a different note, I'd REALLY like one of those SD2SNES carts but man...so much money. I've got a baby due in a month so I'm pretty sure my wife would murder me if I grabbed one right now. One day you'll be mine SD2SNES.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Got my new Trinitron hooked up and the scanlines are a-flowing. Quick question: where's the best place to get good s-video cables on the cheap?

I'm thinking I need ones for SNES, Saturn, and PSX at minimum, possibly Genesis and DC as well.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

zenintrude posted:

Got my new Trinitron hooked up and the scanlines are a-flowing. Quick question: where's the best place to get good s-video cables on the cheap?

I'm thinking I need ones for SNES, Saturn, and PSX at minimum, possibly Genesis and DC as well.

Hamburglar gave me his SNES S-Video cable but I got a DC one on ebay for $4 shipped. Don't have one for my PSX because I don't care enough about it. The cheapest S-Video cable I could find was shipping from the UK on eBay, so I'm trying to hold out and make just make my own or something.

By the way some of you might be interested in what I wrote about a really cheap stereo amplifier. I have mine on my games table hooked up to whatever console is playing into some massive speakers. SPC700 never sounded so good.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My Super Famicom arrived today! I am super excited to start checking this sweet sweet guy out.

Unfortunately, I have no games for it. But it looks so pretty!

I put in a Rakuten order for a few games and I'm waiting for Shiguyayayaya-da-doo-run-run to send me back a shipping quote. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zenintrude posted:

Just regular S-video cables? I think I've got a bunch of them, if you want I can check the basement and you can have whatever I find for shipping, which I would assume was just a couple bucks.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

zenintrude posted:

I wish I got a cut each time I suggest it, but Monoprice.com is the best place for quality cables from composite to HDMI. Shipping isn't free, but it is fair. So many similar sites have popped up over the past few years that there are plenty of places to buy from now.

Here's a good one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020701&p_id=2402&seq=1&format=2

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Medullah posted:

Just regular S-video cables? I think I've got a bunch of them, if you want I can check the basement and you can have whatever I find for shipping, which I would assume was just a couple bucks.

Kramdar posted:

I wish I got a cut each time I suggest it, but Monoprice.com is the best place for quality cables from composite to HDMI. Shipping isn't free, but it is fair. So many similar sites have popped up over the past few years that there are plenty of places to buy from now.

Here's a good one:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10207&cs_id=1020701&p_id=2402&seq=1&format=2

I should have been more specific, sorry. :downs: I'm talking about proprietary S-video cables for each system, i.e. has S-video + RCA stereo at one end and the system specific plug at the other end, not standard male-to-male S-Video cables.

Thanks for the help, though!

[edit] It looks like if I want a Saturn cord, it's going to set me back $37... that's gonna have to wait.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

zenintrude posted:

I should have been more specific, sorry. :downs: I'm talking about proprietary S-video cables for each system, i.e. has S-video + RCA stereo at one end and the system specific plug at the other end, not standard male-to-male S-Video cables.

Thanks for the help, though!

I might even have some of those...I worked at Best Buy and got stupid deals on cables, so I stocked up throughout the years. I'll talk a look.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Medullah posted:

I might even have some of those...I worked at Best Buy and got stupid deals on cables, so I stocked up throughout the years. I'll talk a look.

That would be awesome, thanks!

vvv Not sure if they're actually "worth" that much, but that's how much they'd cost me with $20 shipping from England. vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Saturn ones are worth that much? I've been sitting on one for a while that I pulled out to hook my Saturn up for the first time a few days ago. I know the SNES/N64/etc ones are really cheap, at least for the third-party ones.

• Locked thread