Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Onion just published a satire of U.S. gun control: Gorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack

Brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hate pants
Jul 17, 2012

FUCK PANTS 4 LYFE
Holy poo poo that article is loving amazing

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Brother Jonathan posted:

The Onion just published a satire of U.S. gun control: Gorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack

Brilliant.

“The answer to this systemic problem is not more gorillas,” Simmons continued, her eyes welling with tears. “The answer is fewer gorillas.”

I'm so glad the full Onion updates are back. The rest did them good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

“What happened in San Diego was horrible, but that doesn’t mean all gorillas are bad,” Harrington added. “In fact, if every person at that mall had a gorilla, then the tragedy probably never would have even happened in the first place.”

Just fantastic. :allears:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Bradley Cooper Racks Up Staggering One Oscar Nominations

“This huge haul absolutely demolishes Cooper’s previous personal best of no nominations in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, and 2004.” Cooper’s big morning comes on the heels of the actor announcing he would be starring in the upcoming half-film, The Hangover Part III.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Jerusalem posted:

“What happened in San Diego was horrible, but that doesn’t mean all gorillas are bad,” Harrington added. “In fact, if every person at that mall had a gorilla, then the tragedy probably never would have even happened in the first place.”

Just fantastic. :allears:

Man, all that's missing is a part about some wingnut conspiracy theory about the Obama administration unleashing gorillas to attack a school or cinema to make gorilla control more popular and it'll be golden.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Brilliant.

This is outstanding, and perfect satire.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I think it really deserves to be said that Sex House is probably one of the funniest things the Onion's done with their videos. Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of The Onion's videos in general, but for being a drawn out "series" it was legitimately really, really clever and well written.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
NRA Sends Complimentary Bereavement Gun Baskets To Families Of Shooting Victims

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
Overweight 6-Year-Old Vows To Change Lifestyle After Second Heart Attack

"Post-breakfast snack" is so simple and hilarious.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
The 6 Best Dresses At the Golden Globes

Sometimes the Onion is funny, sometimes it's just :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Panicking Flu Swears It Didn’t Mean To Kill Old Lady

As usual the closing line is a winner.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Oh wow. They really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I love when they do this. Any real newspaper that does something like this deserves a Pulitzer stat. :allears:

Here's an oldie but a goodie: Obama Scales Back Goals For America After Visiting Denny's

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Robert Denby posted:

I love when they do this. Any real newspaper that does something like this deserves a Pulitzer stat. :allears:

Here's an oldie but a goodie: Obama Scales Back Goals For America After Visiting Denny's

Hahahaha, I was just reading PYF's new Goons.jpg thread, and they mentioned Kuuenbu, and low and behold, if the Onion doesn't spook me! In the crawl for this story, "News from Greenboro, NC: Dad ruins Internet Radio Show." :aaaaa:

I wonder if The Onion will have a run on its Cheat To Win bracelets with the latest from Lance Armstrong and Oprah this week.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I live in Manassas and this is dead on.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Haven’t We All Done Steroids, In A Way?

It's by Lance Armstrong

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ten Percent Of U.S. High School Students Graduating Without Basic Object Permanence Skills

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

"We microwaved his food till it was warm all the way through. Because, you know, he's the President..."

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Wow.

SPONSORED: The Taliban Is A Vibrant And Thriving Political Movement

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Lance Armstrong Admits To Using Performance-Enhancing Drugs To Show Remorse

Man, they're really hammering good ol' Dope.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I-95 Diagnosed With Highway Cancer

It's mostly one of those articles that just hammers home what's in the headline, but as usual, the last line knocks it out of the park.

quote:

At press time, state lawmakers were in the process of requesting emergency funding from the federal government, as the expensive highway cancer treatments are not covered by I-95’s health insurance.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

In case anyone missed this story yesterday, the Church of Scientology put a sponsored post on the Atlantic's website. It was just as hilariously positive as the Onion's Taliban article, and probably fooled a lot of people into thinking it was a legitimate story before it was pulled. The only way you can tell it was basically an ad was the yellow highlighted text towards the top.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/atlantic-scientology-miscavige-milestone-032942636.html

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Brother Jonathan posted:

Brilliant.

I love how they can take an otherwise normal news article, replace a word/phrase, and make it great satire while still retaining the overall message.

Case in point, Shaq Misses Entire Second Half With Pulled Pork Sandwich

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

:drat:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

In case anyone missed this story yesterday, the Church of Scientology put a sponsored post on the Atlantic's website. It was just as hilariously positive as the Onion's Taliban article, and probably fooled a lot of people into thinking it was a legitimate story before it was pulled. The only way you can tell it was basically an ad was the yellow highlighted text towards the top.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/atlantic-scientology-miscavige-milestone-032942636.html
I think that this is also a reference to how many times last year China and Iran thought Onion stories were real. I'm sure part of the thinking behind this was seeing how many people they could sucker into believing they'd actually sided their company with the Taliban.
Shaq articles, best articles:
Shaq Spends Entire 'Inside The NBA' Segment Analyzing Size Of Own Hands
Shaq Finds Mysterious Inscriptions Written on Basketball
Revelations From Shaq’s New Book

And of course, this amazing Onion Sportsdome segment.

Robert Denby has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jan 16, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Report: Most Small Businesses Fail In First 6 Hours Of Being On Fire

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
This is actually the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Afghanistan War Veteran Solemnly Recalls Seeing Entire Platoon Killed By Undiagnosed PTSD

quote:

DUNN, NC—After being asked to speak about his experience fighting in the war in Afghanistan on Tuesday, U.S. Army veteran Jackson Richards solemnly recalled an episode when, during a five-year period immediately following his return to the United States, his whole platoon was murdered by undiagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder. “Right from the beginning, you could tell things were looking bad; it was clear some of us weren’t going to make it out alive,” said the 26-year-old lieutenant, his voice trembling as he described how each of his friends was psychologically tortured, shot, or hanged during the 264-week-long ordeal. “The worst was the constant sense of fear and dread, not knowing when the enemy was going to creep up and strike while your kids were at school.” Richards added that he is always happy to answer questions about the war, since he is constantly reliving his experiences over and over in his head.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Four Homeless People Dead In What Girlfriend Refers To As 'Cuddle Weather'

Is it just me or are has The Onion been getting even more grim in the last couple of months or something

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Four Homeless People Dead In What Girlfriend Refers To As 'Cuddle Weather'

Is it just me or are has The Onion been getting even more grim in the last couple of months or something

Somebody says this every couple months. They've always been like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So what did Jodie Foster do lately?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
She did this at the Golden Globes. It was weird.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Haha

quote:

Had a fierce rivalry with Andre Agassi, although there was no practical way to express or demonstrate this

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Internet Users Demand Less Interactivity was clearly written by someone very frustrated, and I like it for that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Uh-Oh, Photo Of Crying Woman On Cover Of National Newspaper

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Middle East Conflict Intensifies As Blah Blah Blah, Etc. Etc.

That'll sober you up better than a DUI :(

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Internet Users Demand Less Interactivity

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Probably already posted, but not on this page at least: Dry Humping An Adequate Sex Alternative For Teens, Says Weird, Unsolicited Report From Department Of Interior

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Just announced: The Onion will be releasing an e-book on Friday, an "autobiography" of Vice President Biden. The title is The President of Vice. To promote the book, the Onion will be having an Ask Me Anything on Reddit the same day, answering questions as Diamond Joe.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Man Who Got poo poo Together 5 Years Ago Still Viewed As Lovable Fuckup By Friends, Family

As usual last line pulls it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
American Voices is the best section of the site IMO

Obama Pushing Broad Gun Control Measures