Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's equally possible that the computers are just toying with us.
Regardless, the proxy things isn't something I would have thought of myself- I do appreciate it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Fried Sushi posted:

I had the same problem. Following these steps exactly worked for me.

First, log into http://myaccount.turbine.com and make sure that your email address is up to date. You will need to be able to receive email in a future step.

After checking your contact information, log back out of myAccount and click on the "forgotten your password" link on the main page. Follow those steps to reset your password. When resetting your password, make sure it's between 8 and 12 characters and only using the pre-approved letters, digits, and symbols.

After changing your password, make sure the change has worked by logging into both myAccount once more and logging into the game. This step will confirm to our servers that your password has changed.

Finally, attempt once more to log into the community site.

Just tried this myself along with deleting all lotro.com cookies. Still getting Authentication Failure, please make sure you're using your game login and try again. :sigh:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

xZAOx posted:

-Any reasons why I shouldn't use medium armor? I keep getting options use to light from quest rewards.
-I was about to vendor the "trophy" loot, but noticed it said, in bold red letters, "may be used for task turn-ins". What is that, and do I care?

The option is just there, generally in most cases you probably want the medium armor anyways.

Starting at around level 14ish you can go find "task boards" at major quest hubs, where you can choose five trophy items per day (cap can be raised via TP) to turn in for reputation and experience. You care because in a couple of very specific places it's useful for reputation (Moria) but other than that it's a free bit of experience per day.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
I have finally managed to get logged in to mylotro using the following method;

- go into MyLotro in game (icon in top right of the minimap)
- log in to mylotro there using your usual name/password. This failed for me but the login screen now had a CAPTCHA box as well
- fill in user name, password and CAPTCHA text and this time login in succeeded

Feel a bit guilty about the lovely support ticket I sent just before finding this out now! :v:

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
At exactly what level can I start questing in Evendim?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Heard out to Oatbarton (north from the Greenfields in the Shire) at around Level 30 and you'll be good to go. You'll be sent to work on a farm and then on into Evendim proper. Given that the farm isn't combat focused you could probably use it to get you from 29 to 30 but you may then find some of the mobs in Dwaling (the next area) annoying.

YMMV depending on what class you and how you feel about doing stuff underlevelled.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
That works for me, currently I'm a 28 champion and I just got to the Ost Guruth part of the Lone-Lands. The brown environment really was killing me, thankfully they have those ruins between the Forsaken Inn and Ost Guruth with the Orcs and Dwarves inside to break it up, I enjoyed it in there. I like their sub-world dungeons in this game, actually.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

ukrainius maximus posted:

That works for me, currently I'm a 28 champion and I just got to the Ost Guruth part of the Lone-Lands. The brown environment really was killing me, thankfully they have those ruins between the Forsaken Inn and Ost Guruth with the Orcs and Dwarves inside to break it up, I enjoyed it in there. I like their sub-world dungeons in this game, actually.

Yeah, just made 20 on my warden and dread trotting through The Brown-Lands again. South Evendim should be fine at 29/30. There's half a level of stuff to do at the market, and afterwards there are a lot of l30 quests to boot.

Lars fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 11, 2013

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If LL is bumming you out just head over to Oatbarton at 29 and use Skirmishes to fill in any gaps if you hit them.

I personally enjoy Evendim far more than Lone Lands, partly because I'm an altaholic and over the many times I've resubbed to this game and started over I have done LL so. many. times. Even repeatedly running Skirmishes is more enjoyable for me at this point.

Brown is a very good descriptor. The only thing I like about LL is Weathertop.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Oh yeah I'm right there with you. The only thing for me is that I have one character who is around 53, and I've gone through a ton that get into their mid to late 20s but cease to exist specifically because of the Lone-Lands. There's just something awful about it.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
It's the setting and the awful rides between the hubs. And it just feel so slow.

A whole other thing, how is the pacing further up the levels? I've seen the start of Evendim so far, but really hope there are a lot of stuff like "You're in Moria now - hope you know how to :frogout: "

Lars fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 11, 2013

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Vaxine posted:

- log in to mylotro there using your usual name/password. This failed for me but the login screen now had a CAPTCHA box as well

Feel a bit guilty about the lovely support ticket I sent just before finding this out now! :v:

I had a problem with this as well. Using chrome I couldn't make the captcha box show up, I had to set up IE.

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

ExCruceLeo posted:

I had a problem with this as well. Using chrome I couldn't make the captcha box show up, I had to set up IE.

I just used the in game browser which I think uses IE also.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lars posted:

but really hope there are a lot of stuff like "You're in Moria now - hope you know how to :frogout: "

They just changed Moria around, so I'm not familiar with the new version of it, but there were some pretty nasty things in Moria. Especially in the depths of it, places like The Foundations of Stone or parts of The Flaming Deeps. They added a number of new mechanics in Moria, so you'll get to deal with things like Cave Trolls and their Momentum buff. Lots of rares too, which are always fun. Mostly rare elites, but a few rare EMs and Nemesis, along with a rare signature, rare normal, and one incredibly funny rare swarm monster.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Lonelands used to be so much worse than it is now, you have no idea.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Captain Backslap posted:

That's true for nearly everything anyone complains about being too hard or too boring. I've played since about a month after launch in 2007 and the game is super easy and straightforward compared to how it used to be. I actually quit for a while when my first character was going through the Lone Lands. I came back and powered through the rest of that zone, then it was pretty easy to get to 50, even back in 2007. We didn't have skirmishes to get us through areas where the content is thin, either.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ruffz posted:

That's true for nearly everything anyone complains about being too hard or too boring. I've played since about a month after launch in 2007 and the game is super easy and straightforward compared to how it used to be. I actually quit for a while after my first character was going through the Lone Lands. I came back and powered through the rest of that zone, then it was pretty easy to get to 50, even back in 2007. We didn't have skirmishes to get us through areas where the content is thin, either.

This is the truth. Even though LOTRO was a fairly polished MMO upon release compared to many others, there was still a lot of work needed on the zones to really make them flow much better. On launch there were several gaps of levels where you needed to do 6-man instances to level. There were no 3-man instances or skirmishes on release. Many times the group content was right in the middle of a longer chain of solo quests (Western Angmar was notorious for this prior to revamp). However, compared to most other MMO's during the same timeframe, LOTRO has never really been a "difficult" MMO that required much (if any) grinding.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The way the starting area went, it's hard for me to imagine running out of quests and needing to fill with skirmishes (which I don't even know what those really are yet).

I just now went to Bree finally, and I'm well into 16, having done zero quests here. It told me to go there at 13 I believe. I tend to be a "do all the things" type of player, so this should work well for me. I like my solo questing in MMOs like this to be pretty easy, so that works too =P. I found the Epic ones a little tougher as a hunter, as it's much harder to play as I normally would (regain focus, set trap, pull 1-2) - instead the NPCs just charge in head first and aggro everything.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

flowinprose posted:

This is the truth. Even though LOTRO was a fairly polished MMO upon release compared to many others, there was still a lot of work needed on the zones to really make them flow much better. On launch there were several gaps of levels where you needed to do 6-man instances to level. There were no 3-man instances or skirmishes on release. Many times the group content was right in the middle of a longer chain of solo quests (Western Angmar was notorious for this prior to revamp). However, compared to most other MMO's during the same timeframe, LOTRO has never really been a "difficult" MMO that required much (if any) grinding.

Oh god yes I remember that now. There were the epic quests that required a fellowship as well, these days you can do them solo with a huge buff. I'd get stranded for 2-3 days at a time waiting for a group for a specific fellowship quest rather than try to grind out a bunch of experience. They've taken basically all of the required grind out of the game. Today the only grinds are for extras like gear or titles.

xZAOx posted:

The way the starting area went, it's hard for me to imagine running out of quests and needing to fill with skirmishes (which I don't even know what those really are yet).

I just now went to Bree finally, and I'm well into 16, having done zero quests here. It told me to go there at 13 I believe. I tend to be a "do all the things" type of player, so this should work well for me. I like my solo questing in MMOs like this to be pretty easy, so that works too =P. I found the Epic ones a little tougher as a hunter, as it's much harder to play as I normally would (regain focus, set trap, pull 1-2) - instead the NPCs just charge in head first and aggro everything.

Bree is an excellent zone. You won't see any gaps in content until early 30s and then again in your 40s. Once you hit your late 40s you won't run into any more gaps.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 11, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Backslap posted:

The old Lone Lands was only slightly more fun than the Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. Both of those areas need love. Goblin Town is just a complete chore and I can't imagine why anyone would go there at this point.

ruffz posted:

Oh god yes I remember that now. There were the epic quests that required a fellowship as well, these days you can do them solo with a huge buff. I'd get stranded for 2-3 days at a time waiting for a group for a specific fellowship quest rather than try to grind out a bunch of experience. They've taken basically all of the required grind out of the game. Today the only grinds are for extras like gear or titles.

Bree is an excellent zone. You won't see any gaps in content until early 30s and then again in your 40s. Once you hit your late 40s you won't run into any more gaps.

There are no gaps in content in your 40s. You can hit Forochel for the low 40s and Eregion will last you from that until Moria. You could technically go through the MM stuff then hit Eregion but it's not worth it. MM is dull.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

As it's much harder to play as I normally would (regain focus, set trap, pull 1-2) - instead the NPCs just charge in head first and aggro everything.

And as you're a hunter you can just kill them in 2 seconds before the NPC has a chance to even get hurt.

Sidebar: Traps are the most pointless skill. Why should I need them when everything dies before it reaches me? :smug:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Apart from the rubber banding, mounted combat seems super easy, at least 1v1. Is it just me? As a captain, I thought I'd have to stay in one of the more defensive/healing riding stances but I can go full red bar and not have any trouble whatsoever.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It's stupid easy for me. I've only had difficulty once when I ended up getting in a fight with a veritable swarm of archers and the initial volleys almost killed my horse. The warbands are pathetically easy for me.

Yet at the same time, this one person I stumbled across couldn't avoid damage or stay healed well enough to remain mounted for very long and I had to save his butt. He was even a loremaster like I am.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rarity posted:

Sidebar: Traps are the most pointless skill. Why should I need them when everything dies before it reaches me? :smug:

Soloing groups, elites, groups surrounding an elite, or groups of elites.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, so I got on the Vent server and... I'm the only one on.

The goon community for this game is mostly nonexistent, huh. :smith:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Rarity posted:

And as you're a hunter you can just kill them in 2 seconds before the NPC has a chance to even get hurt.

The problem wasn't them reaching me - it's that the NPC rushes in and tanks 3 at once. Then runs to the next group and does the same. And the next group. And the next group. Never taking time to heal back up. so he died, quest over.

I ended up getting another level, upgrading my weapon, and having to charge in ahead of him to keep him from dying. So I had to be high enough to be able to tank.

And as Hello said, I find traps very useful (so far, only 19) for soloing groups and elites.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Fuzz posted:

Wow, so I got on the Vent server and... I'm the only one on.

The goon community for this game is mostly nonexistent, huh. :smith:

Its available...but people usually don't sign on unless they need the voice chat

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

The old Lone Lands was only slightly more fun than the Trollshaws and Misty Mountains. Both of those areas need love. Goblin Town is just a complete chore and I can't imagine why anyone would go there at this point.

You take that back, Goblin Town is awesome.

Other than that I agree, I'd add North Downs to that too, could we remove a couple of the warg quests, just a couple, think that would still leave them with 30 kill warg quests there.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Somebody still has a lot to learn about being a Hunter! :smug:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Oxphocker posted:

Its available...but people usually don't sign on unless they need the voice chat

So then what's the primary way to get in contact? Just ingame chat? That seems sort of terrible... why not use Steam Group chat or something?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Goons in LOTRO are some of the most casual and anti-social players that I've encountered in any MMO. There's good portions of the day where you could say something in kinship chat with 10 people online and nobody talks. That's not to say that you couldn't sign on during primetime and get a group for something, because you usually can, but this game just attracts casual solo players and repels most of the min/maxers that tend to ruin MMOs.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Do you really want to hear Vampire Diaries blaring from my living room punctuated by occasional gulping sounds as I swill beer and thumb through my bank? Don't you find idle voice chat with strangers when you aren't grouped sorta awkward? I don't even stay on voice chat with real-life friends after our game night's done, always assumed most guilds just used it for raids and things.

Besides text chat is perfectly expressive and allows you to ignore it while you read quest text or immerse yourself. Only point to voice chat is when you really need to coordinate combat imo.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Wow, so I got on the Vent server and... I'm the only one on

There's really no need for ventrilo, especially when the client itself supports it and you can talk to everyone that matters by typing '/kin <message>'.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Brave New World posted:

Somebody still has a lot to learn about being a Hunter! :smug:

Ok, who's bright idea was it to shove a whole ton of elite mobs around Minas Eriol? :gonk:

I still didn't need traps :colbert:

steelpete
Sep 25, 2007

Vaxine posted:

Thanks, I havent been able to log into mylotro for about a year now, and support was worse then useless. But that fixed my problem.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fuzz posted:

So then what's the primary way to get in contact? Just ingame chat? That seems sort of terrible... why not use Steam Group chat or something?

Think in the last week or two at peak US times on a Friday/Saturday night, there's been about 20-30 people in Kin chat, easily. But as far as I know nobody uses Vent, there's not much reason to.

I've always been able to find a group of goons for doing stuff whenever I've tried. The community is definitely not non-existent.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
There is a steam group that we use to contact people outside of the game...search for thenazgun and you should find it.

Vent it used mostly for when we are doing raids and since we haven't been raiding much recently not much need for it. If people want to start running instances, then that would probably change. I put the vent info up in the OP in case anyone wanted to use it.

In game chat is different. A lot of players are usually off doing their own thing, but the other thing to keep in mind is that in many cases I've noticed people complaining of there being no chat going yet are being just as anti-social as others on there. You have to make the effort yourself if you want to see chat going. Everytime I sign on I start throwing things in chat to see what kind of discussions popup, also because without it I'd be bored in LOTRO. Last night was a good conversation about genocide, racism, bob saget, and a few other things. You just have to be willing to start talking and others will typically join in.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Oxphocker posted:

There is a steam group that we use to contact people outside of the game...search for thenazgun and you should find it.

Vent it used mostly for when we are doing raids and since we haven't been raiding much recently not much need for it. If people want to start running instances, then that would probably change. I put the vent info up in the OP in case anyone wanted to use it.

In game chat is different. A lot of players are usually off doing their own thing, but the other thing to keep in mind is that in many cases I've noticed people complaining of there being no chat going yet are being just as anti-social as others on there. You have to make the effort yourself if you want to see chat going. Everytime I sign on I start throwing things in chat to see what kind of discussions popup, also because without it I'd be bored in LOTRO. Last night was a good conversation about genocide, racism, bob saget, and a few other things. You just have to be willing to start talking and others will typically join in.

Don't forget cumrag technology!

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Oxphocker posted:

Is the forum in the OP still needed to get in to the Nazgun? I'm trying this again for the first time in quite a long time, maybe since launch, and I'd like to be in for whatever intermittent chat pops up / to bother everybody with questions, but I can't even see an invitations section in that forum. Is that a browser issue or should I just not bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

ReWinter posted:

Is the forum in the OP still needed to get in to the Nazgun? I'm trying this again for the first time in quite a long time, maybe since launch, and I'd like to be in for whatever intermittent chat pops up / to bother everybody with questions, but I can't even see an invitations section in that forum. Is that a browser issue or should I just not bother?

No. If you post your player name in this thread, ask for an invite, and then search us out in game an officer can invite you. You may want to copy and paste a link to your request in this thread, could help it go smoother.

Also, after you've been invited please edit your request to indicate it. I've tried to invite people that are already in, just because they never changed their status here.

• Locked thread