Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

suboptimal posted:

I thought Delicious Library was killed because Amazon wouldn't allow the devs access to their API for a mobile app. I was helping my dad use it to catalog novels he's read and ended up just doing the web app export for him.

Ah yeah, you're right. Three years isn't that long, ultimately, but so much happens in apps so fast that it's easy to forget.

I just checked their blog, it looks like there might be a new iOS client coming? Or something else entirely, hard to say.

Delicious Monster posted:

We're also super excited to announce that we are planning on releasing TWO new products this calendar year, one of which will be a smaller iOS app. As if that weren't enough for you, we also have a very major app coming in 2013 for OSX and iOS. While we can't give specifics and don't have anything else we can share publicly yet, rest assured that big things are coming from us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Macworld reported it as Amazon's fault.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008
So for work I often have to do txt blasts to multiple student phones, and the Gmail chat functions like SMS messages and will do this. But I am not seeing how to do this on the ipad Gmail (and some google fu seems to confirm this doesn't exist).

So anyone know of an app that I can send SMS to actual phones? It needs to work with any phone that does SMS, not something that is basically iPad to iPhone only.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Dos anyone use the Twitch app? Is it fairly common for feeds that work in Safari to just show a black screen in the app itself?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Interstitial Abs posted:

So for work I often have to do txt blasts to multiple student phones, and the Gmail chat functions like SMS messages and will do this. But I am not seeing how to do this on the ipad Gmail (and some google fu seems to confirm this doesn't exist).

So anyone know of an app that I can send SMS to actual phones? It needs to work with any phone that does SMS, not something that is basically iPad to iPhone only.

Not sure if this will fit your bill, but check out viper. Whatsapp will work if all your students have smartphones.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of any good UFC/general MMA apps that give things like fight schedules (main card and prelim card dates and times) and fight cards? Doesn't have to be fancy, just want quick access to that info.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

EC posted:

Dos anyone use the Twitch app? Is it fairly common for feeds that work in Safari to just show a black screen in the app itself?

Unfortunately yes. No idea what causes it but most streams I tune into just show a black screen. It's been an issue for quite a while.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kingnothing posted:

http://blo0p.deviantart.com/#/d515vrh

That's an entire pack of different superheroes/game characters in that style. They're really great.

That badge is for gmail, it's there to remind me to eventually clean out my inbox (it's been a while…)

Thanks! These are great.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

suboptimal posted:

I thought Delicious Library was killed because Amazon wouldn't allow the devs access to their API for a mobile app. I was helping my dad use it to catalog novels he's read and ended up just doing the web app export for him.
Apple Nintendo Amazon is loving us again :argh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So is there anything like AppShopper buy for iTunes Movies/TV Shows? I jumped ship to the iOS ecosystem but aside from a deal here and there keeping track of when movies go on sale is a pain in the rear end.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I looked around a bit and didn't see any discussion, so I'm curious. Asked in home recording thread as well.

I've seen these iPhone adapters that come with some form of studio software for home recording. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations they could share? If I could just find something just barely robust enough to let me do some tracking I would be happy.

Thanks!

There's an iOS music production thread in the Musician's Lounge that might be more helpful for you.

aquaticrabbit
Aug 2, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Unfortunately yes. No idea what causes it but most streams I tune into just show a black screen. It's been an issue for quite a while.

I used to get this issue all the time, but not as much anymore. Upgraded to an iPhone 5 a few months ago...not sure whether that made a difference. Sometimes force quitting the app helped to fix the black screen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

aquaticrabbit posted:

I used to get this issue all the time, but not as much anymore. Upgraded to an iPhone 5 a few months ago...not sure whether that made a difference. Sometimes force quitting the app helped to fix the black screen.

I'm on a 5 as well. I do force quit on occasion if it's a streamer I really want to watch, but it would obviously be more preferable if Twitch fixed it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The Twitch app is pretty much horrible, if its not showing a black screen on the iPad it's locked to iphonehigh or iphonelow resolution which always looks horrible, it's a shame. So I've taken to using Splashtop to stream the video from my PC.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Does anyone know of a really nice iOS app for keeping track of receipts?

I'm getting married I'm July and wanted something that will keep a tally for each vendor I'm in contact with as well as a snapshot of the receipt.

I've tried out receiptsHD but it just feels... Unfinished.

Thanks

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

diapermeat posted:

Does anyone know of a really nice iOS app for keeping track of receipts?

I'm getting married I'm July and wanted something that will keep a tally for each vendor I'm in contact with as well as a snapshot of the receipt.

I've tried out receiptsHD but it just feels... Unfinished.

Thanks

Expensify maybe? I've never used it myself though. https://www.expensify.com/

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Macworld reported it as Amazon's fault.

They did. Basically, Amazon said "we've changed the rules regarding access to our APIs" and Wil Shipley literally said, "Welp, that's it! I'm pulling the plug."

The guy spent months perfecting Delicious Library for the iPhone and just scrapped it without so much as an email to Amazon. I know for a fact that several other apps that used the Amazon API during that time were temporarily pulled only to come back a month or two later once they'd worked out an access agreement with Amazon.

Shipley is a very eccentric guy.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Question Mark Mound posted:

• SortIt apps nickel and dimes everything out of you, to the point where if you want to view your catalogue you have to pay for an IAP twice - once each for the iPhone and iPad versions.
And now as though they read these very forums, the latest update removes most of the bullshit where now any IAP purchase made previously will unlock all the functionality (barcode scanning, offline viewing, etc) for that app. Still downloading so I dunno if it crosses between iPhone and iPad, but it's a lot more palatable now. Hell, they even used the phrase "nickel and dime" in the changelog!

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Disappointing Pie posted:

The Twitch app is pretty much horrible, if its not showing a black screen on the iPad it's locked to iphonehigh or iphonelow resolution which always looks horrible, it's a shame.
Is iOS video streaming particularly difficult? Since I have issues with both blip.tv's app and Twitch, and while I'm sure it's difficult to make it work, YouTube seems largely fine for it, and there's a fair amount of unofficial YouTube ones too (e.g. Jasmine). So Twitch and Blip being so bad is just confusing to me.

Or are these localised issues and I'm just an idiot?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The BBC recently wrote an article about how the video support in iOS is really easy to support and thus they spend a fraction of the time supporting iOS as they do Android. This was in response to all the whiners in their comments every time they post something iOS related about how they're 'biased' towards Apple and why aren't they supporting 70% of the market and blah blah blah.

It could be the way Twitch has implemented their app, but I've personally never really had a problem with iOS video.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

DarkJC posted:

The BBC recently wrote an article about how the video support in iOS is really easy to support and thus they spend a fraction of the time supporting iOS as they do Android. This was in response to all the whiners in their comments every time they post something iOS related about how they're 'biased' towards Apple and why aren't they supporting 70% of the market and blah blah blah.

It could be the way Twitch has implemented their app, but I've personally never really had a problem with iOS video.

Android devices can get the same mpeg-4 stream that people on laptops/desktops get. For iOS, Apple requires that it be encoded in mpeg-2. It is an additional step and cost to support iOS.

I know Own3d used to only stream their top couple of streamers in mpeg-4 and mpeg-2. I don't know if that has changed or not.

But yeah, the Twitch app itself is a pile of crap. I have avoided most of the problems by closing it completely between uses. When some streams are locked into iPhone high/low, I switch to Splashtop.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

I'm looking for an iPad app that will allow an image, no matter the original size, to be printed out as 8 x 10. A friend has some students who are working on art projects and they need to print out their images as a full sheet of paper. All of the apps I've tried have allowed you to resize the images down, but I can't seem to find any that will upsize the image to a 8x10 piece of paper. They were able to do that using the HP ePrint app, when you went to print it would allow you to select the size you wished to print, but that app has been really flakey on their network and cannot always see the printers.

I guess the image pixel size doesn't matter, it just needs the option to be stretched to fill a sheet of paper when printing.

Any ideas? I've tried Snapseed, PhotoForge2, Photogene and a few others but they have all come up short.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Sieg posted:

Android devices can get the same mpeg-4 stream that people on laptops/desktops get. For iOS, Apple requires that it be encoded in mpeg-2. It is an additional step and cost to support iOS.

This is at best very misleading. Apple requires live streaming video be delivered within an MPEG-2 transport stream, which is merely a packaging format. The transport stream is capable of delivering H.264 (MPEG-4) video, and in fact that's the only video format that is supported on iOS devices. It does not require the video be encoded into MPEG-2 at all, and in fact wouldn't work if it was.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

DarkJC posted:

This is at best very misleading. Apple requires live streaming video be delivered within an MPEG-2 transport stream, which is merely a packaging format. The transport stream is capable of delivering H.264 (MPEG-4) video, and in fact that's the only video format that is supported on iOS devices. It does not require the video be encoded into MPEG-2 at all, and in fact wouldn't work if it was.

Buddy of mine does this kind of stuff professionally. I asked him for some clarification since I am pretty murky on some of this stuff. He said that newer Android devices are more of a pain since Adobe removed Flash Player from Google Play back in August. He said prior to August, it was much easier and cheaper for him to stream to Android since there was no transcoding involved in the process. iOS streaming has always required him to do additional transcoding on the backend, which adds a cost.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
No offense to your buddy but if he was relying on the google play flash player to service android devices he was offering the majority of them a pretty lovely experience.

Anyway, I'll end the derail here by linking the BBC article I was talking about originally: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20754182

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah iOS doesn't even support MPEG-2 playback so either you or your friend are really misinformed in some way here. It's kind of sounding like he was using whatever video format (other than MPEG-4) and delivering in Flash, and now he has to transcode that stuff to MP4 to work. That's still kind of a bad excuse since Flash has supported MP4 for a while now and should be the primary stream source since it can be delivered to pretty much everything these days. If he started out before Flash could play MP4 then I could see an issue since he has to change up his workflow and has the backlog to get through I guess.

Additionally since we're talking about streaming, he may have been referring to having to have a bunch of bitrate streams available. I forget how it works exactly, but I think the transport stream links to the multiple bitrate streams, and through whatever server-client magic it automatically negotiates switching streams on the fly based on bandwidth. I'm not sure that's necessarily required though (ie just provide a single stream), and I imagine serving variable quality through Flash isn't that different as far as source and transcoding, but again it'd still be a change in workflow or software.

(...not that I have experience in the field, I just read through the iOS dev streaming docs and followed streaming news a while back for some reason)

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

japtor posted:

Yeah iOS doesn't even support MPEG-2 playback so either you or your friend are really misinformed in some way here.

Really?

If anyone is misinformed, it is me. I have gleaned some information from my friend over the years, but am probably using the terms incorrectly or mixing something up. He has been pretty involved with live/archived streaming for quite a while. He was in a terminal trying to catch a flight so I didn't get to have a long discussion with him about it. I just know there is an added cost on his end to stream to iOS devices for some technical reason that doesn't exist when streaming to Android devices.

I get the point of that BBC article, but it isn't talking about streaming difficulties between Android/iOS as much as it is talking about maintaining their Android/iOS app when Android is so fragmented and convoluted.

Also, thank you to whoever recommended Episodes. It is awesome.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm a big fan of Decim8 and I'm wondering if there's anything similar on iOS for glitching videos or animated GIFs?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
1 Second Everyday app is free for 24 hours. http://1secondeveryday.com/

https://itunes.apple.com/app/one-second-everyday/id587823548

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Daw. I guess it went back up.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Daw. I guess it went back up.

drat, I meant to jump on this today, was reading about it earlier in the week.

e: Oh, its still just 99 cents, downloading now.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 11, 2013

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
I'm looking for some kind of alarm app I can tell to go off every X amount of time. If I could tell it to only do that between the hours of Y and Z, too, that would be awesome. Does anyone know of a good app like that? Free is best but I'm willing to look at paid.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
A pomodoro app might be what you're looking for. There are a bunch of them, but use pomodoro as your search term.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is anyone else having a lot of trouble with IMO? I updated it to the latest version, and now it won't stay logged in to MSN, won't log into Gchat unless I log in to another linked account... it's basically not the perfect, smooth app it once was.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I just downloaded the dropbox app and activated the automatic camera upload feature. It worked, but when I went to look in the folder it also somehow uploaded a bunch of photos from (i think?) my dad's iPhone.

We don't share a dropbox account. Why did this happen? Have all my photos been uploaded to his? If I delete his photos, will it remove them from his dropbox/iPhone? This is a really weird and annoying bug.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

I just downloaded the dropbox app and activated the automatic camera upload feature. It worked, but when I went to look in the folder it also somehow uploaded a bunch of photos from (i think?) my dad's iPhone.

We don't share a dropbox account. Why did this happen? Have all my photos been uploaded to his? If I delete his photos, will it remove them from his dropbox/iPhone? This is a really weird and annoying bug.

Just a stab in the dark, but do you have a shared iPhoto photo stream with your dad?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

baxate posted:

Just a stab in the dark, but do you have a shared iPhoto photo stream with your dad?

I'm not sure if he uses Photostream with iPhoto, but I don't, and I'm not subscribed to any Photostreams.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I downloaded 1 Second Everyday and it hung for AGES "loading my photos" or whatever. Eventually I killed the app (it'd been 15 minutes and I do NOT have much photo roll content, let alone videos.)

Anyhoo, in restarting the app it claims I have no video content on ANY day (and I do).

Any way to make it rescan my photo roll?

Edit
(deleted app and am re-installing. Hoping that helps...)

Edit2
That worked!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Feenix posted:

I downloaded 1 Second Everyday and it hung for AGES "loading my photos" or whatever. Eventually I killed the app (it'd been 15 minutes and I do NOT have much photo roll content, let alone videos.)

Anyhoo, in restarting the app it claims I have no video content on ANY day (and I do).

Any way to make it rescan my photo roll?

Edit
(deleted app and am re-installing. Hoping that helps...)

Edit2
That worked!

I thought about buying this app but then read the reviews which were all talking about stuff like this. Glad I dodged that bullet.

e: welp, whaddya know.

e2: VVV Congratulations!

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I thought about buying this app but then read the reviews which were all talking about stuff like this. Glad I dodged that bullet.

e: welp, whaddya know.

It may be buggy (We'll see) but I bit the bullet because it's 99 cents and I just had a baby boy. Seems like a timely acquisition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I only had it hang when I took a longer video. It eventually went through.

• Locked thread