Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
If all of the beltline trim was body colored, then that might not look too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

Usually I'd agree, but I'm so desperate for a nice e36 to put my 328 parts on (including m52 :q:) I'll look at anything.

To be fair, 318ti's are basically E30s underneath...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finally got my new steering wheel in the mail. Like most early-year ZHP 330s, the alcantara on my wheel looked like poo poo and had some holes wearing in it, so shortly after I got the car, I found a seller on ebay in Germany who was selling reupholstered wheels, including leather upholstered late-ZHP wheels, and I bought one, which finally arrived.
If anyone else is in need of a new, nicely upholstered leather wheel for their E46, ebay seller 'Tainik' does good work and I can recommend the wheels he sells: http://imgur.com/a/iDkzm/embed (seller's pictures, but it pretty much looks just like the pics in person). Note that the ZHP M-tech wheel is slightly different from the M3's wheel - M3s have solid leather all around, ZHPs have perforated sections on the left and right, so I was happy to find a one with the proper pattern for a late model leather ZHP wheel.

Now I just have to get the old wheel off and disassembled and swap all the trim and airbag over to the new one.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Finally got my new steering wheel in the mail. Like most early-year ZHP 330s, the alcantara on my wheel looked like poo poo and had some holes wearing in it, so shortly after I got the car, I found a seller on ebay in Germany who was selling reupholstered wheels, including leather upholstered late-ZHP wheels, and I bought one, which finally arrived.
If anyone else is in need of a new, nicely upholstered leather wheel for their E46, ebay seller 'Tainik' does good work and I can recommend the wheels he sells: http://imgur.com/a/iDkzm/embed (seller's pictures, but it pretty much looks just like the pics in person). Note that the ZHP M-tech wheel is slightly different from the M3's wheel - M3s have solid leather all around, ZHPs have perforated sections on the left and right, so I was happy to find a one with the proper pattern for a late model leather ZHP wheel.

Now I just have to get the old wheel off and disassembled and swap all the trim and airbag over to the new one.

I put one of his wheels on my car a while back, although I replaced a 4-spoke giant airbag tractor wheel. Another recommendation here. Pic of the wheel installed:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
This is my old wheel that it replaced:

BMW had so many complaints about those alcantara ZHP steering wheels looking like poo poo that if you complained enough at the dealership, they'd sometimes replace them, and they switched to leather wheels shortly after mine was made. The PO of my car unfortunately was not one of the people who complained and got it replaced.

I've owned 25 year old Toyotas with steering wheels that didn't look that beat up and ratty.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Black88GTA posted:

I put one of his wheels on my car a while back, although I replaced a 4-spoke giant airbag tractor wheel. Another recommendation here. Pic of the wheel installed:

Neat. The M colored stitching is a really nice touch.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So I suddenly came to the understanding today that the light "helicopter" sound that my e36 makes at high speed isn't normal. I've had the car since June and put around 7k miles on it. As far as I can remember, it's always made that noise. I've always assumed that it was something fan/road noise related (it's certainly not the motor, since it's independent of RPM) and that it was something to be expected since "older BMWs are supposed to be a bit rough" (quoth my uncle). Turns out it's not. I checked all of the lugs- they're fine, AFAIK. The internet tells me that it could possibly be:

1- A slightly bent rim or two somewhere. It's possible, since I popped the front end up on a curb this past summer going around a bend on a particularly wet night. But 7k miles and seven months? Wouldn't a tire have deflated by now?

2- Bearings This looks like it's going to be expensive.

Is there anything else that might be the culprit? And what's my best course of action? I'm taking it to a shop to be looked at. Assuming it's a bearing issue- is it worth putting in what seems to be a possibly $600-$1000 repair on a '94 325is with 173k miles?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't go freaking out until you rotate you tires front to back to see if it changes things and/or get your tires balanced.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Probably don't do that if your e36 is an M with staggered wheels though.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

1- A slightly bent rim or two somewhere. It's possible, since I popped the front end up on a curb this past summer going around a bend on a particularly wet night. But 7k miles and seven months? Wouldn't a tire have deflated by now?

I actually have a slightly bent rim on my e46, it's only a problem if it's on the steering wheels. On the rear wheels you may notice a little noise, and I'm sure the tire wears a little faster but the shop said it holds air fine so no biggie. Bearings have other signs they'll tell you, get it checked by a shop/someone who knows before you assume it's that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

juche mane posted:

Probably don't do that if your e36 is an M with staggered wheels though.

Didn't think of that (says the guy who's DD is staggered).....definitely a no-no....so proceed to a tire balance if that's that case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deceptor101 posted:

I actually have a slightly bent rim on my e46, it's only a problem if it's on the steering wheels. On the rear wheels you may notice a little noise, and I'm sure the tire wears a little faster but the shop said it holds air fine so no biggie. Bearings have other signs they'll tell you, get it checked by a shop/someone who knows before you assume it's that.

I have no tools or place to do any work and the car needs some service anyway. It's going to a shop on Monday, regardless.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
For anyone who does have a ZHP (or any e46 sport wheel), http://cobywheel.com/ does rewraps for $175 and zhpmafia has given glowing reviews for their stuff. I think alcantara is a far better steering wheel material if you autoX/track your car and I plan to get my e36 M3 wheel done at some point. Just need to clean it everytime you clean your car, only takes about 10 minutes to do.

That said, tainik still does good work. I got my e36 ZKW projectors from him for a very good price.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have 2 wheels on my 328 that no shop has ever been able to balance right. They will shake the steering wheel on the front so I just put them on the back and left them there.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
I enjoy digging into my car and not being able to walk after a day of hunching over the engine bay, but if I ever have another E46 CCV to replace I'll be bringing it to a mechanic.

GOD drat THROTTLE BODY. The intake resonance valve was a piece of cake, in fact everything else was a piece of cake. The last two hose clamps - one for the idle control valve and the other leading to the throttle body - were installed with the adjustment screw facing 45 degrees south of horizontal facing the firewall, undoubtedly installed during manufacturing before the engine is dropped into the car...holy loving hell. I have never encountered such madness on a hose clamp in my entire life.

Want to tightly grip a screwdriver? Have fun dodging coolant hoses, the vacuum line for the brake booster, and who knows what else back there. Want to actually get the hose clamps off? Tape three 6" extensions onto a 1/4" socket handle and feed it up through the control arm :suicide:

Got the old CCV, dipstick tube, and all the associated hoses out and the new CCV in. Tomorrow all new hoses go back in and I connect all those harnesses back up. I'm frantically running around throwing things into the sacrificial ring for the German auto gods.

EDIT: I flushed the PS fluid by disconnecting the return line and feeding it into an empty container, then had my wife cranking the engine and turning the wheel lock to lock while I made sure the reservoir didn't run dry. Too bad I'm retarded and ended up disconnecting the outflow hose and draining the reservoir before I realized and swapped for the return hose. With the reservoir completely emptied, should I be worried about bleeding my power steering fluid?

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 13, 2013

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Crustashio posted:

For anyone who does have a ZHP (or any e46 sport wheel), http://cobywheel.com/ does rewraps for $175 and zhpmafia has given glowing reviews for their stuff. I think alcantara is a far better steering wheel material if you autoX/track your car and I plan to get my e36 M3 wheel done at some point. Just need to clean it everytime you clean your car, only takes about 10 minutes to do.

I thought about just having my wheel rewrapped by Coby, but honestly, I don't really like the way suede or alcantara feel to the touch. I know it is grippier than leather, but if I'm going to be touching it every time I drive, I'd rather it be a material that felt more pleasant to my touch.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Hi there. I've hardly looked into the Automotive Insanity forum, but I hope this a good place for some questions.

I got a bitchin' white 1984 633CSi a little while back. Lots to do before I feel like its a true daily driver, and I'd like to get it there if I can. Here's some stuff keeping me from that:

1) No heat. I'm OK paying a guy to fix this, as the process looks far too daunting for me.

2) I had some water leaking into the cabin, getting the driver and passenger floors soaked. I think I fixed it by replacing the windshield rubber, but I'm open to other suggestions.

3) Dome light - it's either always on, or always off. There are two switch settings for always-off, and I assume one should turn the light on when the door is open. The terrible door-open buzzer DOES work when the car is running. Not sure how to approach this one. Follow-up question: the passenger door does not make the annoying open-door buzz -- should it?

4) Now that it's cold, the OBC makes a BONG sound upon startup, and (I assume) displays the cabin temperature. What the gently caress is this feature all about? Of all things I can intuit using my natural human talents, bone-chilling cold is the one I need the least computer help to determine. But... that's what that is, right? Happy to hear theories on why this is a feature, too.

5) Newbie question, probably, but at what RPM does this car prefer to cruise, and switch between the 5 speeds? I find myself driving it up to 2,500-3k RPM before switching up to the next gear, so let me know if that seems right.

6) totally vanity, but my toolkit is rusty, and only half there. Is there some sort of Harbor Freight-level replacement set I can piece together?

7) I installed a stereo that has a USB jack for my iPhone, which works great. Trouble is, the phone has no natural home. Best spot right now is sideways in the open ashtray (actually a very good fit). I saw some lovely plastic thing on TV (as seen on TV) that gecko-grips the phone and suctions onto the windshield. Before I poo poo up the car with that, any thoughts on how to situate my phone so I can safely see it, for navigation?

8) Where do I get the aftermarket cup holder? I'm not a double-big-gulp guy, but my morning coffee currently finds itself jammed between passenger seat and center console.

9) My idle is either perfect, around 800 RPM and smooth, OR it's clunky, dropping down near 500 RPM and a bit lumpy. I don't see a pattern yet, and can't tell what causes it to be one of the other. I haven't done a full vacuum system check, and it seems like the next logical step, but tell me if there's anything obvious I may be missing.

10) Windshield washer makes noise, but doesn't spray. This seems like a tagled web of clusterfuck so I'm procrastinating on fixing.

11) wall-of-text edit: I also un-tinted the rear windows since taking these photos. Much better visibility, and I think it looks more "consistent" overall.

... OK wow sorry for the brain-dump, but I appreciate any thoughts on all these. I'll post pics soon, too!

Cobalt60 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Cobalt60 posted:

1) No heat. I'm OK paying a guy to fix this, as the process looks far too daunting for me.

2) I had some water leaking into the cabin, getting the driver and passenger floors soaked. I think I fixed it by replacing the windshield rubber, but I'm open to other suggestions.

3) Dome light - it's either always on, or always off. There are two switch settings for always-off, and I assume one should turn the light on when the door is open. The terrible door-open buzzer DOES work when the car is running. Not sure how to approach this one. Follow-up question: the passenger door does not make the annoying open-door buzz -- should it?

4) Now that it's cold, the OBC makes a BONG sound upon startup, and (I assume) displays the cabin temperature. What the gently caress is this feature all about? Of all things I can intuit using my natural human talents, bone-chilling cold is the one I need the least computer help to determine. But... that's what that is, right? Happy to hear theories on why this is a feature, too.

5) Newbie question, probably, but at what RPM does this car prefer to cruise, and switch between the 5 speeds? I find myself driving it up to 2,500-3k RPM before switching up to the next gear, so let me know if that seems right.

6) totally vanity, but my toolkit is rusty, and only half there. Is there some sort of Harbor Freight-level replacement set I can piece together?

7) I installed a stereo that has a USB jack for my iPhone, which works great. Trouble is, the phone has no natural home. Best spot right now is sideways in the open ashtray (actually a very good fit). I saw some lovely plastic thing on TV (as seen on TV) that gecko-grips the phone and suctions onto the windshield. Before I poo poo up the car with that, any thoughts on how to situate my phone so I can safely see it, for navigation?

8) Where do I get the aftermarket cup holder? I'm not a double-big-gulp guy, but my morning coffee currently finds itself jammed between passenger seat and center console.

9) My idle is either perfect, around 800 RPM and smooth, OR it's clunky, dropping down near 500 RPM and a bit lumpy. I don't see a pattern yet, and can't tell what causes it to be one of the other. I haven't done a full vacuum system check, and it seems like the next logical step, but tell me if there's anything obvious I may be missing.

10) Windshield washer makes noise, but doesn't spray. This seems like a tagled web of clusterfuck so I'm procrastinating on fixing.

Beautiful car, I've never seen an E24 in person but that's one imposing body style. The whole thing feels like it's leaning forward over its handlebars to get that extra little bit of speed.

4) It dings at a temperature determined to be "freeze-cautious" - 37F in what I've driven, probably the same or very close in yours

5) The five speed should be right at home cruising around 2.5K, shifting anywhere you're comfortable. I'm not familiar with the particular gear ratios you're working with but when I've taught people to drive I tell them to shift in multiples of ten - at 20 shift to 2nd, at 30 shift to 3rd, at 40 shift to 4th... seems to work OK for sedate city driving. If you want to have more fun just run through the gears and find the point that you can shift comfortably while the flywheel naturally drags the engine down to around where you want to be for the next gear, which for me in a completely different BMW is somewhere around 4.5K RPM.

6) The only place I know of to order the BMW tool kit parts is: http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=388 but for the exorbitant price the tools are poo poo. Grab a decent metric socket set, a vice grip, and whatever you need to change a tire and throw it in with the spare tire.

7) I have the same problem and my phone lives either in the e-brake boot or where you described in the ashtray. There's a plethora of options for mounting the phone, but for not making a mark on the interior I like something like this: http://www.randombuy.com/p-134-handstands-super-size-sticky-pad.aspx

10) You're probably hearing the pump fire up but have some seriously clogged nozzles. Try sticking a [needle, safety pin, paperclip, whatever fits and is handy] through each hood-mounted nozzle and cleaning out the sediment/gunk, see if that helps.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Cellular Suicide posted:

4) It dings at a temperature determined to be "freeze-cautious" - 37F in what I've driven, probably the same or very close in yours

Yeah, the cool little LCD screen on the OBC displays the temp, and it's been around 34-35 the last couple times. I guess I'm wondering if there's any specific reaction I should have to the BONG, other than "thanks car, I already knew it was cold." Like, should it warm up for 5 minutes or something similar? I dunno...

Thanks for the other ideas, and I think a friend has that sticky pad thing so maybe I can borrow his and test it out. I appreciate the help!

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
It's really just an annoying little "thanks for reminding me my balls are inside my rear end in a top hat!" It's certainly a good idea to let your car idle a bit longer after startup in cold weather, but I've never interpreted that stupid chime as anything other than an annoying reminder. I usually start worrying about letting the engine warm up when the transmission starts getting so stiff I can't go from first to second, which seems to be at least under 20F.

There may be a way for a dealership to disable it by reprogramming the onboard computer for a fee (probably $100-150) but I really don't know on something of that vintage. It's supposed to be a black ice warning but that stupid outdoor temperature sensor is useless for anything except momentarily freaking the poo poo out of you on unseasonable warm winter days.

Cellular Suicide fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 13, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With a more modern car, there's not really any point to letting the engine heat up. Yeah, you heat up the engine, but your transmission and brakes are still cold once you get going. Just start driving and take it a bit easier.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Yeah, the cool little LCD screen on the OBC displays the temp, and it's been around 34-35 the last couple times. I guess I'm wondering if there's any specific reaction I should have to the BONG, other than "thanks car, I already knew it was cold." Like, should it warm up for 5 minutes or something similar? I dunno...

It's not a mechanical thing, it's just to inform you that black ice may have formed and adjust your driving style appropriately. Germans believe you should be given orders for every situation. So it can't (or shouldn't be possible to) reprogram it.

As for leaks, no idea about your vintage but my door vapour barriers leak like a mo-fo. If you have those, check them if the leak continues. Much easier job than windscreen sealer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cojawfee posted:

With a more modern car, there's not really any point to letting the engine heat up. Yeah, you heat up the engine, but your transmission and brakes are still cold once you get going. Just start driving and take it a bit easier.

My rule has always been don't drive until the oil change indicator goes away and nothing over 3k till full operating temp.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho
I bought a 1992 318i. With 245,000 miles on it. I've never owned or worked on a BMW in my life. On the second day I drive it to an O'Reilly's to buy spark plugs for it and when I park there I pop the hood and actually look at what I've got and (as an aside I feel like a huge huge idiot for not doing this before I bought it but in my defense I was super high and fell in love with the car test driving it) I see a tube way under the intake that looks lovely and old and I poke it ever so slightly and SPLASH the tube snaps in the line and coolant just explodes violently everywhere and is all steamin' off the block and all over the ground and I feel like I'm one of those "Really Unlucky Guy" Ben Stiller movies

It takes ALL. DAY. from 10 AM to almost 5 to get a ride for tools and for gaskets & a new tube and to take off the manifold, unhook the wiring harness, fuel injectors blah blah. The gaskets + tube were $75.xx from The Dealership. Now that everything is put back together, there's a gas vapor smell now which I think is an o-ring that, unknown to me, cracked while unhooking the fuel line from the fuel rail

Refilling the coolant, I made the error of turning the bleeder screw on the radiator one turn too far, with baby amounts of force, it snaps in half, but since it wasn't visibly broken and because of how easily it broke like a retard I just assumed it was still intact and just slipping in the threads or something.

The next day my heat gauge starts creepin' up and I park and shut it off and pop the hood and: no coolant, the bleeder screw is now a half of a melted bleeder screw with a little hole in it that steam is spitting out off and the engine bay has coolant all over so it's just been peeing through that hole the whole time hahaha. I wait for the engine to cool a bit and then drive it a mile home, I gotta stick my head out the window ace ventura style at 45mph because the defrost obviously doesn't work with no coolant and i'm just getting blasted in the face the whole way with some cold as gently caress Seattle rain

It takes like 2 hours with a little screwdriver to, after a bunch of other approaches, carefully break apart and pry out the melted screw. $8.95 for a new one from The Dealership.

Now after fixing that, the vapor leak has turned into a dripdripdrip at idle fuel leak and a "the fuel gauge goes down faster than the temp gauge goes up while driving" fuel leak, so I get to freeze my rear end off taking everything apart to get to that today :gonk:

Why did I buy a BMW.

I still haven't done the spark plugs :cawg:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This doesn't sound characteristic of a B--welcome to the club.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

yyyyyy posted:

I was super high and fell in love with the car test driving it

So you went and test drove someone's car while high?

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Jealous Cow posted:

So you went and test drove someone's car while high?

The guy was in the car with me and I've driven a million billion miles high without incident, I just took it through some windy roads for a few minutes & wasn't pushing the car's limits or anything just making sure it drove straight & ran smooth & all that, which it does when it's actually running, it's been mostly garage kept & the paint is nice and allegedly the owner 9 months before this guy worked as a BMW mechanic it's just every piece of plastic and rubber in the car needs replaced :I

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wouldn't admit to driving under the influence of anything on these forums.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

yyyyyy posted:

The guy was in the car with me and I've driven a million billion miles high without incident

loving moron.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK I smoke my fair share but if you drive high you are Dumb As Hell.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Freaking moron. What's next, test driving another car while drunk?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

yyyyyy posted:

The guy was in the car with me and I've driven a million billion miles high without incident, I just took it through some windy roads for a few minutes & wasn't pushing the car's limits or anything just making sure it drove straight & ran smooth & all that, which it does when it's actually running, it's been mostly garage kept & the paint is nice and allegedly the owner 9 months before this guy worked as a BMW mechanic it's just every piece of plastic and rubber in the car needs replaced :I

Thanks for the ten bucks you retarded rear end in a top hat

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yyyyyy posted:

I bought a 1992 318i. With 245,000 miles on it. I've never owned or worked on a BMW in my life. On the second day I drive it to an O'Reilly's to buy spark plugs for it and when I park there I pop the hood and actually look at what I've got and (as an aside I feel like a huge huge idiot for not doing this before I bought it but in my defense I was super high and fell in love with the car test driving it) I see a tube way under the intake that looks lovely and old and I poke it ever so slightly and SPLASH the tube snaps in the line and coolant just explodes violently everywhere and is all steamin' off the block and all over the ground and I feel like I'm one of those "Really Unlucky Guy" Ben Stiller movies

It takes ALL. DAY. from 10 AM to almost 5 to get a ride for tools and for gaskets & a new tube and to take off the manifold, unhook the wiring harness, fuel injectors blah blah. The gaskets + tube were $75.xx from The Dealership. Now that everything is put back together, there's a gas vapor smell now which I think is an o-ring that, unknown to me, cracked while unhooking the fuel line from the fuel rail

Refilling the coolant, I made the error of turning the bleeder screw on the radiator one turn too far, with baby amounts of force, it snaps in half, but since it wasn't visibly broken and because of how easily it broke like a retard I just assumed it was still intact and just slipping in the threads or something.

The next day my heat gauge starts creepin' up and I park and shut it off and pop the hood and: no coolant, the bleeder screw is now a half of a melted bleeder screw with a little hole in it that steam is spitting out off and the engine bay has coolant all over so it's just been peeing through that hole the whole time hahaha. I wait for the engine to cool a bit and then drive it a mile home, I gotta stick my head out the window ace ventura style at 45mph because the defrost obviously doesn't work with no coolant and i'm just getting blasted in the face the whole way with some cold as gently caress Seattle rain

It takes like 2 hours with a little screwdriver to, after a bunch of other approaches, carefully break apart and pry out the melted screw. $8.95 for a new one from The Dealership.

Now after fixing that, the vapor leak has turned into a dripdripdrip at idle fuel leak and a "the fuel gauge goes down faster than the temp gauge goes up while driving" fuel leak, so I get to freeze my rear end off taking everything apart to get to that today :gonk:

Why did I buy a BMW.

I still haven't done the spark plugs :cawg:

Saving this for posterity in case he deletes it.

So....not only did you buy what is widely considered to be the worst E36, but you bought one with an obscenely high number of miles and full of poo poo obviously wrong with it as your "first BMW?" And then you started to dick around under the hood without doing any due diligence (which is available for free all over the internet) and- naturally- hosed some poo poo up and then decided to drive it that way?

And the car's not in safe driving order, but as you're bombing down the street with your head out the window (because you can't see out the windshield) you think, "man this is so wacky like Ace Ventura. This is what life is all about."

And of course, we're supposed to feel that way about it. We're supposed to read all of this and commiserate with you because *haha, we've all been there man. LOL why did we buy BMWs? haha*

We're supposed to look at this like some hilarious Ben Stiller movie (what?) because, of course, we're totally cool with people driving "super high" and we do it all the time, bro- to say nothing of test driving a car and loving buying it.

I actually smoked up before reading this, so don't think I'm saying this like I'm Nancy Reagan or some DARE presentation. I am legitimately furious that you would even try to defend this with "haha, I drive stoned all the time."

You are a colossal poo poo and I await your inevitable ban. I hope you get pulled over and arrested before you gently caress someone else's life up with this idiocy.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 13, 2013

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I hope the car costs him a ton of money. After he's put thousands into it, he'll get pulled over for DUI, the car will be impounded and sold at auction for $300.

None of the mechanical stuff even made sense, the radiator hose broke, so he took the intake manifold off??

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 13, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
He's probably thinking of the airbox when he says intake mani.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Saving this for posterity in case he deletes it.

So....not only did you buy what is widely considered to be the worst E36, but you bought one with an obscenely high number of miles as your "first BMW?" And then you started to dick around under the hood without doing any due diligence (which is available for free all over the internet) and- naturally- hosed some poo poo up and then decided to drive it that way?
You don't comprehend well. I wasn't 'dicking under the hood" I literally barely touched a tube and it exploded and then I had to get the car driveable so it didn't get loving impounded because I was stranded in an O'reilly's parking lot and I can't afford a tow truck.

quote:

And the car's not in safe driving order, but as you're bombing down the street with your head out the window (because you can't see out the windshield) you think, "man this is so wacky like Ace Ventura. This is what life is all about."

No poo poo it wasn't in safe driving order, I wasn't expecting my coolant to all shoot out of the radiator and I had to drive fast because if I rolled along at 20mph my car would overheat because no coolant.

quote:

We're supposed to look at this like some hilarious Ben Stiller movie (what?) because, of course, we're totally cool with people driving "super high" and we do it all the time, bro.
Ben Stiller movies aren't hilarious. You're a really angry person

Deceptor101 posted:

I hope the car costs him a ton of money. After he's put thousands into it, he'll get pulled over for DUI, the car will be impounded and sold at auction for $300.

None of the mechanical stuff even made sense, the radiator hose broke, so he took the intake manifold off??

Not the radiator hose, it's this weird plastic tube that noone even at the dealership knew the name of but it's some kind of coolant intake tube and it's way under the intake manifold, way down there

also I don't drink and y'all really overestimate how much weed impairs you when you are experienced with smoking weed (i.e. tolerance) and with driving cars, if you've never/very rarely smoked weed or are new to driving then yeah don't drive, I'm not trying to get into that argument at all though seriously!

And yeah I know 318i is the weakest of weak but I just wanted a rwd car that gets good gas mileage for cheap and it was cheap

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 13, 2013

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

edit: sorry for the double post

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 13, 2013

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Hey so speaking of God drat Cooling System, while my car has been up on jack stands while I slowly put the suspension back together I have had time to reflect on the fact that my coolant expansion tank looks like it's going to fail at any moment and I should probably replace it.

I'm going to buy the proper BMW brand part from Pelican for $95 but would it hurt me to buy this eBay knock off to roll around with for a month or so while I build my cash reserves back up and then throw it in the trunk in case of a future emergency or is it complete poo poo and will blow up on me 2 miles down the road?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Coolant...1&_qi=RTM759775

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yyyyyy posted:

You don't comprehend well. I wasn't 'dicking under the hood" I literally barely touched a tube and it exploded and then I had to get the car driveable so it didn't get loving impounded because I was stranded in an O'reilly's parking lot and I can't afford a tow truck....No poo poo it wasn't in safe driving order, I wasn't expecting my coolant to all shoot out of the radiator and I had to drive fast because if I rolled along at 20mph my car would overheat because no coolant.

Nah, I comprehended pretty well. These probably wouldn't have been big surprises if you:

a) Had done your diligence.

b) Weren't likely high at the time.

c) Hadn't been high/had done your diligence when you inspected the goddamn car in the first place before buying it.

And using "I couldn't afford a tow truck" as an excuse for driving an unsafe car on the road is worthless. If you couldn't afford a tow, then you probably shouldn't have bought an obvious project car.

And you certainly don't "drive 45 miles an hour with my head out the window in the rain because the windshield is unusable and anything under 20 mph will cause the motor to blow up". You pull the gently caress over, grow some balls, and find a way to deal with it responsibly. Find a way to pay for the tow truck. Have the car impounded if you have to. That's what consequences are, and real adults deal with them.

You don't risk other peoples' lives and property because you made some lovely decisions.

quote:

You're a really angry person.

I'm really not. DUI is just un-loving-forgivable, even once (to say nothing of "billions" of goddamn miles).

And your responses and justifications aren't doing you any favors. Nobody is going to be on your side here.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And you certainly don't "drive 45 miles an hour with my head out the window in the rain because the windshield is unusable and anything under 20 mph will cause the motor to blow up". You pull the gently caress over, grow some balls, and find a way to deal with it responsibly. Find a way to pay for the tow truck. Have the car impounded if you have to. That's what consequences are, and real adults deal with them.

It was one mile away on a straight road dude, I'm not trying to get into whatever thing you want to get into, yeah I shouldn't have bought it but it's too late now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yyyyyy posted:

It was one mile away on a straight road dude, I'm not trying to get into whatever thing you want to get into, yeah I shouldn't have bought it but it's too late now

"I shouldn't have driven high and plowed my rattletrap shitbox (that I bought while high) into that van full of third-graders but it's too late now."

You are the worst.