Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Oh holy balls, NoSmo. That sounds HORRIBLE. I know the pain of breaking a tooth in half. The excruciating moment of "oh my god, why does the universe hate me so much". I heard that you can swish your mouth with brandy to numb the pain. I didn't realise that you're meant to /spit out/ the brandy after swishing. I'm still not sure how I managed to get home on the subway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

dino. posted:

I didn't realise that you're meant to /spit out/ the brandy after swishing. I'm still not sure how I managed to get home on the subway.

But then you'd have a horrible waste of brandy.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
God, I am so glad both of my parents had really strong teeth (dad didn't have a cavity until he was in his thirties). I've only ever had a bad chip that only exposed enough tooth guts to make it sensitive to cold. The thought of an actual cracked tooth in my mouth makes me feel weird in a real bad way.

Oh, and I still don't have any fillings at 26, suck it, weak-enameled losers.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mediaphage posted:

Let's be honest if this were true, every 15-year old would have beards hitting the floor

Not necessarily. I just went stone-cold blind :shobon:.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

But then you'd have a horrible waste of brandy.

See, that's what I figured. But like, I'll drink gin, right? I'll drink it when it's been gently stirred with some ice and a dash of bitters, or gently stirred with some ice and a friendly reminder that vermouth exists on this planet. For some reason, that brandy hit me and hard. I don't know why, aside from my body was latching onto the first thing that I'd thrown down the hatch in a couple of hours.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why is there no gin in the house...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steakandchips posted:

Why is there no gin in the house...

Sorry.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sales rep gave me liquor for screwing up an order and sending me 50 goddamn frozen tenderloins. It wasn't really a huge deal, but I specified fresh, so he shows up, drops off a bottle of Crown, Cointreau, St. Germaine, a 12oz can of truffle shavings(They're chinese, but he probably doesn't know), and a $50 gift card to Uchi. I'm still not going to order anything from him for 2 weeks.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Man, I wish our vendors would do poo poo like that. Dude accidentally charged us for an omelet pan I was looking at in the store but didn't buy and all we got was a credit on our next order.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ummm what. How the hell do you accidentally charge someone for looking at something?

Your vendor is an rear end in a top hat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Im pretty sure tenderloin is the one cut I can tell if it has been frozen. Seems to wreck the texture.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Job-update...

They're fighting back on this - they're now drawing up papers that will keep me at work while they buy themselves respite to find me a position that I want, postponing my severance months until that happens...

I am kinda good with it, since it means more money for me (and there will be a clause that states that I can leave with moments notice, sparking the severance from that point on - basically double pay from when I get another job).

At the other hand it impaires my golden freedom, but I have cut down my job stuff to 40hrs effected immideately - which hands me a lot of freedom back!

Things are confusing like hell right now with them!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Im pretty sure tenderloin is the one cut I can tell if it has been frozen. Seems to wreck the texture.

Whole frozen isn't too bad, but I'd never freeze steaks unless I could IQF them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

But.. But... the nice man from Omaha Steaks told me that ALL restaurants used frozen, pre-portioned steaks!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

But.. But... the nice man from Omaha Steaks told me that ALL restaurants used frozen, pre-portioned steaks!

The photos on their website, the ribeyes just... don't look right

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made these almond-butter biscuits (cookies) today and they are delicious. Very easy too.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/04/nut-butter-baking-recipes-cookies

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The photos on their website, the ribeyes just... don't look right

I found an old Omaha Steaks gift card that I got for xmas years ago. It's got $100 bucks on it, so I need to find something on the site worth buying.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It looks like they have a pet treat section, maybe that will work.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I found an old Omaha Steaks gift card that I got for xmas years ago. It's got $100 bucks on it, so I need to find something on the site worth buying.

http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?Dsp=14&PCR=1:Wines&PID=&IID=6002&ITMSUF=WZA&shoptype=PROMOTION&shopsrc=PRMWines

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Saturday afternoon, no pressing obligations, decided to braise a meat.

Doing something like this: http://mobile.seriouseats.com/2012/04/better-than-chipotles-beef-barbacoa-tacos.html

I also made my own chili powder for the first time, with excellent results. I am happy to live in an area heavily populated by Mexicans...there are so many dried chiles at the local grocery store... :swoon: (lots of other whole/dried stuff as well, like this awesome whole oregano I got that triples in size as soon as it gets moist)

I ended up using ancho, mulato, and negro. I wanted it to be on the mild side, and it has a pleasant sweet, smoky flavor.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

therattle posted:

I made these almond-butter biscuits (cookies) today and they are delicious. Very easy too.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/jan/04/nut-butter-baking-recipes-cookies

Dan Lepard's Dundee cake recipe is the best I've found so far. Seriously good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Dan Lepard's Dundee cake recipe is the best I've found so far. Seriously good.

Dude knows his baked goods.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone know what the incubation period is for most common types of food poisoning? My wife and I have both been struck down, and I am curious to pinpoint what exactly did it...

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's at least my understanding that very short incubation periods on the order of hours occur for poisoning from bacterial or endogenic toxins, while it's more on the order of a day or more for actual viral or bacterial infections. I ate a piece of spoilt meat (yes, yes, I'm dumb) a couple of years ago and the symptoms set in less than three hours later. I'm suspecting toxin poisoning has a much shorter illness as well, compared to poisoning due to ingested pathogens, but I've never seen this verified.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I've heard a max of 8 hours, but commonly as little as 2.

Depends on the type though. Viral can take up to a couple of days, depending on the virus, but I guess you're not talking about that kind. If it is a question of poor hygiene, (poo in your food), then at max the 8hrs, depending on your poo resistance.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

What I mean is that if you're often eating poo poo, then you will become good at being a shiteater..

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

...are you verging into Tales from the Corporate again?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Corp definitely was on my mind...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

HH, hate to say it but you're wrong. :( I just suffered through a day long course on this to renew my food safety manager certification, so this stuff is fresh in my mind.

Sjurygg has it mostly right. "food poisoning" could be any number of bacteria, viruses, toxins or chemical contaminants. Some won't hit you for weeks, but most of the big bad ones will show up 1-7 days after eating the contaminated food. Here's a PDF with the "big five" most common foodborne illnesses in the US: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/food/foodpdf/bigfive-english.pdf I would add Vibrio to that list if you're eaten raw shellfish lately. What the PDF doesn't stress enough is that a lot of these illnesses are transmitted through vegetables just as often as meat or dairy. Also, you're almost as likely to get contaminated food from a grocery store as a restaurant. If you've had anything catered lately, that's a red flag.

As far as trying to figure out what made you guys sick, look at the usual suspects (meat and fish that might not have been cooked properly, leftovers that weren't cooled and reheated properly, anything raw) but also look out for sprouts, pre-cut vegetables (esp. melons) and processed/packaged fresh food from the grocery store.

It should go without saying that you should stay home until you feel better- some of these illnesses (esp. norovirus) are insanely infectious and are deadly to at-risk populations.

Go to the doctor if you can afford it

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

Go to the doctor if you can afford it
If I'm not mistaken, Scotland is covered by NHS.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

dino. posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Scotland is covered by NHS.

What? You mean the whole internet isn't populated solely by Americans?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

HH, hate to say it but you're wrong. :(

Don't be sorry, it is good when I am wrong, because then I learn (also you have just avoided me propagating untruths to my offspring, which may turn out later to be a good thing).

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hat posted:

Don't be sorry, it is good when I am wrong, because then I learn (also you have just avoided me propagating untruths to my offspring, which may turn out later to be a good thing).

Then they might produce more aryan offspring in the future! MY AMERICA :freep:

Sort of related, apparently there's a chewing tobacco appreciation community that resides on twitter. And if you tell one of them they're homophobic and ignorant and also say you think chew is gross, then it riles them the hell up. And apparently "you wear skinny jeans!" is some huge insult.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Today I yelled at a "friend" on Facebook who has turned into a crazy militant vegan and posted something to the effect of "Stop saying you're an animal lover if you still eat animals!!!" I can't give you the exact quote anymore because I unfriended that annoying bitch tout de suite but it sure was satisfying.

for clarity: dino you're an awesome vegan, this person liked to tell everyone else how horrible they were for not making the same life choices they did

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 13, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
No worries mate. Sounds like you defriended a militant rear end in a top hat, and the veganism was coincidental.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Foodpoisoningchat has me worried about the two slices of day-old unrefrigerated Dominoes I just had.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Vlex posted:

Foodpoisoningchat has me worried about the two slices of day-old unrefrigerated Dominoes I just had.

No bacteria will live on dominoes...

However - this is how ebola started!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

everyone knows that pizza is best when you left it out overnight :colbert:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Anchovies, BBQ sauce, cumberland sausage and chicken tikka does not, in fact improve.

I need better housemates. Ones who don't attempt to poison me with pizza they don't want.

edit: lovely pizza with lovely toppings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

No worries mate. Sounds like you defriended a militant rear end in a top hat, and the veganism was coincidental.

I'd like to agree with that, but based on the volume of hatred/threats the girlfriend received when she started using some dairy in her blog, I'm not so sure about that. That said, the more militant ones don't really seem to be very good cooks, or even really enjoy food, they just like being righteously angry and bullying people online.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

for clarity: dino you're an awesome vegan, this person liked to tell everyone else how horrible they were for not making the same life choices they did

Yeah, this is really the crux of it: the militant folks don't even see it as "making life choices", they see it as an ongoing struggle to force The One True Way upon all others.

---

Vietnamese Five-Spice is the flavor of the month in my house, and the woman just made a huge pot of vegan stew with daikon, taters, carrots and chickpeas, flavored with Five-Spice and some gochujang for umami. It's fantastic, a really lovely winter dish.