Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Call
Nov 15, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

It almost sounds like you are describing "Frito Pie", which is made with Chili (as opposed to just cooked mincemeat) on top of corn chips (Specifically Fritos) and topped with cheese, then baked until the cheese is melted.

Wonderful! "Frito Pie" is exactly what I was looking for, but thanks for all the other tips as well guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Is there a specific reason why so many banks don't stay open a full day on Saturday, or is it just a thing that was a thing so now it's still a thing?
It was a courtesy that they were open at all on Saturday, but now I see a few banks (like Wells Fargo in L.A.) have weekday hours on Saturday. I remember when banks were only open till 1 in the afternoon on Saturday.
Some banks are now open on Sunday till 3.

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

I don't know if there is a specific subforum/megathread for home theater/audio questions, but:

I have a Yamaha 371 5.1 receiver to play music in my kitchen and an older, but higher end 7.1 receiver for both tv and music in the living room. For each I use an RCA to 1/8" wire to plug in my phone or a laptop. On the newer 371, every time the wire is manipulated or inserted there is a lot of loud popping. I'm assuming the other receiver has some built in filters to block out this noise that the lower end model does not have. Is there any modification that will prevent this? Alternatively I know I can plug in, turn the system on, and turn it off prior to unplugging but this is less convenient than just plugging in/out whenever I want.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We used to have an A/V subforum, but now it's just a megathread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Thanks. I thought there once was such a forum but couldn't find it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is there a subforum for video editing stuff?

I've been googling for hours trying to figure out how to do what I thought would be dead simple: take a big MPEG4 (m4v) video file, manually set some scene marker frames, then split the file up into many smaller video clip files so I can edit/youtube them individually. Is there an easy way to do this? I'll happily pay whatever it costs for the software.

I have Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects (CS5.5) but I can't figure out how to make either do what I need. I've also downloaded and tried a bunch of freeware/trialware apps like "Ultimate Video Splitter" and "Video Splitter" and several other similarly-named apps but none seem to do what I need, or possibly I'm just too dumb to make it happen. Either they won't read my m4v source file, or they only split by time/filesize and not by scene / manually selected split point.

I assume AfterEffects or Premiere can do what I want, but I just can't figure out the proper workflow despite searching and reading everything I can find. Ideally I'd like to play/step through my big video file, press a key or something at each frame I want to split it, then automatically save clip_001, clip_002, etc. files in the same format without re-encoding or rendering or whatever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone else seeing problems with imgur lately?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Has there been a thread about becoming a camgirl, or should I ask in the Sex Megathread? Or create a new thread?

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

randyest posted:

Is there a subforum for video editing stuff?

You probably want the Tech Support Fort hidden away in the Let's Play forum.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

randyest posted:

files in the same format without re-encoding or rendering or whatever.

pretty sure you're not going to be able to do this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

I assume AfterEffects or Premiere can do what I want, but I just can't figure out the proper workflow despite searching and reading everything I can find. Ideally I'd like to play/step through my big video file, press a key or something at each frame I want to split it, then automatically save clip_001, clip_002, etc. files in the same format

This isn't quite as convenient as what you want, but since you have stuff that can split by time, couldn't you framestep through it in, well, anything, note down the time/frame number of each point you want to split at, and then use a separate splitter to split at those points? You could probably even automate the process of going from list of frame numbers -> split video using mencoder or something.

quote:

without re-encoding or rendering or whatever.

Doubt it. Modern video formats store most frames as the difference between that frame and the previous one. If you split the video, it no longer has those previous frames to use, so the frames need to be decoded (using the original video) and then re-encoded (starting at the split point).

Yes, this is a lossy operation. This is why video editing is generally done by storing everything in a lossless format like huffYUV and only performing the lossy encode for the release version.

E: this is probably something that comes up a lot when making VLPs so the Tech Support Fort in Let's Play might have some useful recommendations for tools and stuff in the OP

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 13, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
2 of them:

My wife got a paypal credit card reader in the mail. She's saying she didn't ask for it but thinks it may be good for helping our daughters sell Girl Scout cookies. I've looked it up and it says it charges a 2.7% fee. Is that 2.7% really all there is to it? We will eat the 2.7% if that's really it. Do we get an instant and true confirm/deny of a persons card? Any other BS crap that could trip up this plan? How much of a pain in the rear end is it going to be if a charge is accidentally done for too much/too little? GS cookies are not sold like they were in the past with ordering and waiting, the girls have a stock and anyone wanting to buy gets their cookies right then and there.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/credit-card-reader

Also: in Win 7 / Google Chrome. What could cause the chrome menu to randomly appear? (the menu with settings, exit, new tab, new window etc. It has a button with three horiz lines top right corner)

I have a new (used) laptop that has some touchpad problems, I'm ordering a whole new palmrest but I don't get how any of my touchpad probs could make that menu show randomly, it'll do that to me a few times a day, usually when I use the down arrow key to scroll down a webpage.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 14, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Meat Recital posted:

You probably want the Tech Support Fort hidden away in the Let's Play forum.

Schweinhund posted:

pretty sure you're not going to be able to do this.
Thanks guys! I found a (tedious) way to extract clips from premiere which I guess is re-encoding, but quality loss isn't a huge concern as this is 8mm transfer of old rear end home movies I'm cleaning up. The LP thread introduced me to avisynth, which led to VideoFred's amazing 8mm cleanup scripts, which look GREAT on preview (better than AfterEffects even) but I'm still having trouble finding something like avs2avi that works reliably in Win7 64 to write out a new avi. Or an avs plugin for 64-bit Premiere CS5.5 that doesn't require me to find/compile 64-bit versions of every plugin/filter used by VideoFred's scripts. I think I should be able to pipe the avs output into VirtualDub and then save the resulting cleaned up avi but I'm still trying to figure it all out. Thanks again for the leads!

ToxicFrog posted:

This isn't quite as convenient as what you want, but since you have stuff that can split by time, couldn't you framestep through it in, well, anything, note down the time/frame number of each point you want to split at, and then use a separate splitter to split at those points? You could probably even automate the process of going from list of frame numbers -> split video using mencoder or something.
Thanks to you as well! I will try mencoder to do the splitting.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
If you have an .avs file you can just drag that into virtualdub and it will open, then export to .avi.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
This seems really general and kinda stupid, but what should I buy on Amazon? I need to add $12 for free super saver shipping (regular shipping is $8, so I'm willing to take the $4 hit for something cool), but am drawing a blank on something to buy. It can be anything super useful, or something silly, just preferably under $20 or so.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This seems really general and kinda stupid, but what should I buy on Amazon? I need to add $12 for free super saver shipping (regular shipping is $8, so I'm willing to take the $4 hit for something cool), but am drawing a blank on something to buy. It can be anything super useful, or something silly, just preferably under $20 or so.

Whiskey rocks, Wigwam socks, a simple Snuggie or collapsing box?

Edit: I put way too much effort into this comment.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 14, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Check out http://www.filleritem.com/

GotGoose
Jun 6, 2011
What's the best place to stay for a Panama City Beach spring break trip? Anyone have relevant experiences?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

My wife got a paypal credit card reader in the mail. She's saying she didn't ask for it but thinks it may be good for helping our daughters sell Girl Scout cookies. I've looked it up and it says it charges a 2.7% fee. Is that 2.7% really all there is to it? We will eat the 2.7% if that's really it. Do we get an instant and true confirm/deny of a persons card? Any other BS crap that could trip up this plan? How much of a pain in the rear end is it going to be if a charge is accidentally done for too much/too little? GS cookies are not sold like they were in the past with ordering and waiting, the girls have a stock and anyone wanting to buy gets their cookies right then and there.

She "didn't ask for it"? Am I understanding this right? That sounds really suspicious.
I dunno what this system entails, but if I got a mysterious card reader in the mail, I wouldn't trust it with credit card info. It might sound far-fetched that someone malicious would make a bugged card reader that sends the card info to themselves, but it sounds just as unlikely that you'd get a paypal card reader you never sent for.

If you're interested in a card reader, request it yourself and use that one.
Can't answer many questions about the specifics of the deal, though, sorry. I have heard that Square works well and I think their rates are the same, but maybe paypal works just as well, dunno.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I heard about MIT's open courseware, so I thought I'd try it out. However the i can't get to ocw.mit.edu. I checked isup.me, and it said that site is up, although MIT's main site is down. Can anyone else get to the OCW site?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

hooah posted:

I heard about MIT's open courseware, so I thought I'd try it out. However the i can't get to ocw.mit.edu. I checked isup.me, and it said that site is up, although MIT's main site is down. Can anyone else get to the OCW site?

Works fine for me right now. I'm in Japan.

DNS problem?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure. Whatever was going on, it's all fine now.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Schweinhund posted:

If you have an .avs file you can just drag that into virtualdub and it will open, then export to .avi.
Thank you so very much. This works, I also got avs2avi working great so I can script up a whole bunch of conversions and just let it run. After just a few hours of studying the variables and options I'm getting incredible results, I cannot believe how well this converts my old washed out, grainy, shaky, noisy, faded 8mm film into pretty drat good video. I thought this old footage was a lost cause but I was so wrong. Mom's going to be so happy to see the results -- thanks again everyone!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

2 of them:

Paypal is a flat 2.7%, no other fees.

If you really want to start accepting credit cards though, just go with Square. They are the largest in this space, have the most backing and I would trust them before I trust Paypal. Their readers are free too, or $10 at any Apple store.

https://squareup.com/

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hey all, I tried to find a smithing thread but failed. Was wondering if anyone knows what this is - was found on old family land in the ... smithy I suppose. Estimated at a little over 100 years old if that helps. Cast iron.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

tarepanda posted:

There's a pretty famous hotel in India or Dubai or somewhere that has a pool way up high that has a plexiglass side or something and you'll often see pictures of people on the edge and it looks super freaky.

If THAT'S insurable, I'm sure sharks behind a giant plexiglass window are fine.

You're referring to the infinity pool at marina bay sands, singapore. It's gorgeous.

neonburzt fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 14, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

neonburzt posted:

Search for 'infinity pool marina sands singapore'. It might be what you're looking for.

That's exactly it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've got a strange question, rather seeking some advice

I've had a friend for a long rear end time now, real friendly guy who has some quirks but is by the books normal. Thing is life has gotten hard for the dude the past couple years and his motivation to find a job is at a alltime low. He's constantly telling me that he wants to work but after a year of searching he's mostly given up, (I live in the general area, it sucks being unemployed here so giving him the benefit of the doubt) and I only hear him looking a couple times a week at best. From what I understand he does a few online jobs for income but with price hikes going on and his college bills piling up combined with him looking after his disabled mother the dudes on a sinking ship.

Recently he came to me asking for advice on what to do and I've never quite been good at giving it. I'd hate to see the dude fail but I'm awfully bad with words, any ideas on what I could do to help him out?

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

There isn't much you can do for him. If he suffers from depression or some other mental illness you can reccomend he get treated, but that's about it. If he has a drug or drinking problem then once again reccomend treatment. Other than that just try to be positive and be his friend. You could maybe help him take care of his mom a bit but he may not want you to.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Doubt it. Modern video formats store most frames as the difference between that frame and the previous one. If you split the video, it no longer has those previous frames to use, so the frames need to be decoded (using the original video) and then re-encoded (starting at the split point).
Ah that is really cool to learn. I assume this is the same reason why if you skip ahead in some media files there will be big blocks of static until those pixels move?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Shimrod posted:

Hey all, I tried to find a smithing thread but failed. Was wondering if anyone knows what this is - was found on old family land in the ... smithy I suppose. Estimated at a little over 100 years old if that helps. Cast iron.

There is a metalwork thread in the DIY forum, I'd link but I'm on my phone.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

M42 posted:

There is a metalwork thread in the DIY forum, I'd link but I'm on my phone.

Sweet, thanks!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xenoborg posted:

Ah that is really cool to learn. I assume this is the same reason why if you skip ahead in some media files there will be big blocks of static until those pixels move?

Yep. It's showing you the differences relative to the frame you just skipped from rather than the actual preceding frames.

Most (all?) formats also have "keyframes" (aka I-frames), frames that are stored in their entirety rather than as differences, so usually it'll get gradually more coherent as more parts of the image move, and then after 10-20 seconds it'll hit a keyframe and everything will go back to normal. (The exact frequency of keyframes depends on the format used, the original compression settings, and the video itself; sometimes it happens much faster.)

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Does a harddisk need to have a file system on it in order to be scanned for bad sectors? I thought the answer was no, but the Windows disk check utility won't let me do a bad sector scan on an unformatted disk so now I'm curious.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Shimrod posted:

It is a counter weight for a window sash. It has a value only as scrap.

A cord would be tied through the loop at the top, go over a pully and attach to the sash. This is what allows the window to stay where you open it to (ex. Half way) without crashing down.

edit: Your name and address are visible on your electric bill.

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 14, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Torka posted:

Does a harddisk need to have a file system on it in order to be scanned for bad sectors? I thought the answer was no, but the Windows disk check utility won't let me do a bad sector scan on an unformatted disk so now I'm curious.

In principle, no. In practice, though, scanning for bad sectors doesn't do you much good unless you have a way of recording them. The windows scan (and linux's fsck -c) is not only scanning the disk for bad sectors, but also recording those sectors in the filesystem metadata so that it doesn't attempt to store data there, and may also be attempting to salvage any data already stored there and move it somewhere else.

If you want to do a badblocks scan on an unformatted disk, boot into linux and use the badblocks program, which doesn't require a filesystem and outputs a list of bad sectors.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm diagnosed with clinical depression (I'm in touch with a therapist and a psychiatrist, not self diagnosed), and it makes it really hard to function on a day-to-day basis, am I qualified for SSI? Are there other sort of programs like SSI that I can use to help me get through the day especially since I've been unable to find a job in the last year or so.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
What's the name for this kind of markup?

*bold*
_underline_
/italic/
-strike-

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Turtlicious posted:

I'm diagnosed with clinical depression (I'm in touch with a therapist and a psychiatrist, not self diagnosed), and it makes it really hard to function on a day-to-day basis, am I qualified for SSI? Are there other sort of programs like SSI that I can use to help me get through the day especially since I've been unable to find a job in the last year or so.

To qualify for SSI you have to exhaust all liquid assets such that you have no more than $2000 single/ $3000 married and you own nothing that you could sell, debts do not factor into the qualifier. SSI is designed to only assist you in the time it takes to find employment such that you no longer need SSI. Not that you asked, but SSD is only available to those who are unable to work ANY job, to get SSD is a process that takes years and lawyers in most cases. You can try contacting your psychiatrist's office or your state's Health and Human Services to see what resources are available or if you can be appointed a social worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

To qualify for SSI you have to exhaust all liquid assets such that you have no more than $2000 single/ $3000 married and you own nothing that you could sell, debts do not factor into the qualifier. SSI is designed to only assist you in the time it takes to find employment such that you no longer need SSI. Not that you asked, but SSD is only available to those who are unable to work ANY job, to get SSD is a process that takes years and lawyers in most cases. You can try contacting your psychiatrist's office or your state's Health and Human Services to see what resources are available or if you can be appointed a social worker.

Oh.

I already have a social worker who's been working with me since I got into foster care. My therapist recommended I look into SSI, but I don't think my problems are that bad. I guess no-one's going to give me money so I can sit in a cave and mope.