Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Three playthroughs for getting platinum, totaling 155 Hours, 9 Minutes. I think I'm good for Persona 4 for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Mailer posted:

P3P's visual novel style is really grating on me the second time around.

It was grating for me the first time through and I stopped playing after a little while.
I bought a Vita just for this game, although it doesn't come out here until February.. sigh.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What happens if you cast an elemental spell on an enemy that reflects that element, while equipping a persona that also reflects that element? Do I take full damage? No damage? Does it bounce around wildly until accidentally vaporizing Teddie?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

What happens if you cast an elemental spell on an enemy that reflects that element, while equipping a persona that also reflects that element? Do I take full damage? No damage? Does it bounce around wildly until accidentally vaporizing Teddie?

You would just block the attack once it reflected off the enemy.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mzbundifund posted:

It will reflect off of the enemy and then your Persona will null it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jet Ready Go posted:

Completely normal. You're supposed to use your Persona's as stepping stones to newer personas with a better range of strengths and resists. Basically fusing 1 great persona you've been using, 2 lovely ones taking the best of the abilities into the NEW 1 Great Persona you'd be using for the next couple of hours.

OK good. I do have a ridiculously OP set where everything uses health right now, and everyone else just heals me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If I have Evade Ice, and equip and Eye of Ice (Greatly raises evasion to ice) do they stack in any way? or will one just overwrite the other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I have Evade Ice, and equip and Eye of Ice (Greatly raises evasion to ice) do they stack in any way? or will one just overwrite the other.

I'm pretty sure Evade skills don't stack. Whichever has the greater value will take effect.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I believe those accessories just give a slotless version of the appropriate skill (Dodge/Evade X). At least, when I had Kanji equipped with the wind one, it would pop up with "Evade Wind" even though I didn't have that skill on him.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Just finished the game. I played it on PS2 and utterly adored it, but my god did it get even better. Really can't think of any other game I've played I got as invested in or loved as much as this one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh, I wish I knew that Atlus didn't make the Severe class spells actually worth using still. Why yes I will take 20 extra damage for over double the SP cost, great idea. :shepface:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Protocol7 posted:

OK good. I do have a ridiculously OP set where everything uses health right now, and everyone else just heals me.

Physical skills never stop being awesome either, so just keep godpunching enemies until the credits roll. I'm actually looking forward to my second playthrough with Yukiko/Teddie/Yosuke because it'd be nice to see spells that are not Megidolaon with the random -dyne thrown in there from Naoto on phys immunes.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ugh, I wish I knew that Atlus didn't make the Severe class spells actually worth using still. Why yes I will take 20 extra damage for over double the SP cost, great idea. :shepface:

Morning Star and Amagidyne are just about the only ones worth using, although I suppose they are not quite properly in that family.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You basically need to get Mind Charge and Spell Master skill cards to slap on any persona with those attacks. I think most people just stick to the Black Frost & Yoshitsune route and ignore them anyway.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 14, 2013

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It will reflect off of the enemy and then your Persona will null it.

A missed opportunity, in my mind, because it'd be hilarious if you'd just reflect it BACK and get into this crazy game of magical ping-pong--or better yet, if reflect is a one-use only sort of deal...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RentCavalier posted:

A missed opportunity, in my mind, because it'd be hilarious if you'd just reflect it BACK and get into this crazy game of magical ping-pong
The problem is this'd create a closed loop where the spell would just reflect back and forth, forcing you to reset the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I want to say there was one MegaTen game where it actually mattered, like the reflected back spell would hurt you if you had Repel/Drain/Null. Maybe Devil Survivor? Actually that might have been Pierce (where Repel was the only one that could block it).

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Endorph posted:

The problem is this'd create a closed loop where the spell would just reflect back and forth, forcing you to reset the game.

If I was doing it, I'd have it that the magic just reflects so much and so fast that it explodes, damaging both parties. pingpongpingpongpingpongBOOM.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Nate RFB posted:

I want to say there was one MegaTen game where it actually mattered, like the reflected back spell would hurt you if you had Repel/Drain/Null. Maybe Devil Survivor? Actually that might have been Pierce (where Repel was the only one that could block it).

I thought p3p did that?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a new Wombo Combo - my Persona right now is one of the Priestess arcana and regenerates 5SP each turn. So I just cast Media every turn for a whopping 2SP total, and when Yosuke and Kanji are using health abilities and Yukiko is dealing magic DPS, I was able to get through Shadow Rise and Shadow Teddie without breaking a sweat.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished the 3rd dungeon (to show how far I am) and I have a fishing question: I've never managed to exchange fish with the old man in this playthrough. I normally fish at night or in the rain when he's not around. Is trading only possible if you fish when he's standing there? I've tried talking to him in the day and he only does 'how to fish', not 'let's trade fish' conversation options. I know in P4 ps2 that you automatically start trading with him when you're done fishing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can only trade fish with the lady in white at the shrine at night for stones. It's pretty pointless.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Nate RFB posted:

You can only trade fish with the lady in white at the shrine at night for stones. It's pretty pointless.

What? So the old man doesn't trade any more? Aren't stones pretty good though? This is a weird revelation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah the old man doesn't do anything other than give you the poles and set up the Guardian quests. I'm not sure if all of the old man's equipment is found there, but the pub has basically replaced the old man for trading.

This is just my own experience but even with fishing I never had enough stones to buy anything worthwhile at the pub. I think literally the only thing of note to get there is the 50% EXP boosting equipment, of which you will be able to buy maybe two by the end of the game (one you need for a quest, though). You need fish for quests though so it's still sort of worth doing it every now and then if you care about that sort of thing.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
So I'm fighting Margaret and oh my God help me please.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Larsson posted:

So I'm fighting Margaret and oh my God help me please.
I hear she's tough. I messed up and forgot to fight the extra boss in Heaven so no battle for me :v: But then again I hear that Margaret is crazy tough and you only get like 50 turns to beat her. Which sucks because she double turns so it's more like 25 turns for you. Good luck with that.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I got her health down to half before she used Diarahan. :shepicide:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Larsson posted:

I got her health down to half before she used Diarahan. :shepicide:

Don't worry, she can only use it once per fight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pretty much just have to throw everything you can at that fight. Be at least in the in the low 90's for everyone, have everyone's third tier persona, use Matarukaja and Masukukaja, Mind Charge on Yukiko if you have it, Power Charge on Kanji/Chie, and Hassou Tobi when you get the chance. I recommend against Debilitate, as she gets so many turns it will actually run out quicker than usual.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I have a question about some story related things mid game...
Do they ever explain why Mitsuo's Shadow just dispersed after the fight? Like, he obviously didn't face his true self afterwards but why would that make his shadow disappear?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I just figured it was because you beat the tar out of it and then left the TV. If you'd hung around long enough it would have regathered its strength and come at you again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ShadeofDante posted:

Do they ever explain why Mitsuo's Shadow just dispersed after the fight? Like, he obviously didn't face his true self afterwards but why would that make his shadow disappear?

Mitsuo doesn't have a true self. Unlike every other Shadow boss in the game, Shadow Mitsuo does not say "I am a Shadow, the true self". He just says "I'm a Shadow." Mitsuo is just a big, patethic baby who defines himself entirely through video games. That's all there is to him.

EDIT: Oh, I might have misinterpreted your question. Oh well, what the guy above me said.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's a little weird hearing Laura Bailey as a bubbly teeny bopper after Saints Row the Third.

Does Rise gain XP in combat like the rest of your droogs, or are her extra abilities all from Social Links?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

It's a little weird hearing Laura Bailey as a bubbly teeny bopper after Saints Row the Third.

Does Rise gain XP in combat like the rest of your droogs, or are her extra abilities all from Social Links?
Column A, Column B. She gets XP but only a couple of abilities from leveling, most everything useful on her end is from her S. Link. She gets a lot of crazy useful abilities so maxing her S. Link is a good idea.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

She gains experience along with your party.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Terper posted:

Mitsuo doesn't have a true self. Unlike every other Shadow boss in the game, Shadow Mitsuo does not say "I am a Shadow, the true self". He just says "I'm a Shadow." Mitsuo is just a big, patethic baby who defines himself entirely through video games. That's all there is to him.

EDIT: Oh, I might have misinterpreted your question. Oh well, what the guy above me said.

I hadn't thought of it like that. That's a very good interpretation.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ShadeofDante posted:

Most of the major characters in the story represent the various Arcana of the Tarot. Conversely, their Shadows (if they appear) represent the Reversed form of that Arcana. Mitsuo's Arcana is the Hermit. Normally, in the Fool's Journey, the Hermit represents a wise, old figure who lives in isolation that the Fool seeks out to learn wisdom from. But Mitsuo isn't just the Hermit; he's the Hermit Reversed. A gibbering madman with no real wisdom or insight. A charlatan who just wants recognition and notoriety that, on some level, he knows he doesn't really deserve. That's why the Investigation Team wasn't sure which one was the real Mitsuo and which was the Shadow at first. And it's also why his Shadow claims that it's empty; Mitsuo embraces the dark, negative aspects of himself, leaving nothing for the Shadow to embody. When you defeat it, it fades away because with Mitsuo's corrupted ego willingly embracing his own inner darkness, it has nothing it can use to maintain itself as a distinct, separate entity.

At least, that's one possible interpretation.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I know this is a bit of an odd question but does anyone know where I can pick up a Yasogami jacket? I'm planning on doing a P4 cosplay with some buddies and apparently I get to be Yu if it ever happens.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Protocol7 posted:

I know this is a bit of an odd question but does anyone know where I can pick up a Yasogami jacket? I'm planning on doing a P4 cosplay with some buddies and apparently I get to be Yu if it ever happens.
Searching ebay or google for persona 4 cosplay is your best bet. I'm positive they have custom made yasogami jackets for sale, though you'll likely have to pay anywhere between 80-100 dollars for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Most of the major characters in the story represent the various Arcana of the Tarot. Conversely, their Shadows (if they appear) represent the Reversed form of that Arcana. Mitsuo's Arcana is the Hermit. Normally, in the Fool's Journey, the Hermit represents a wise, old figure who lives in isolation that the Fool seeks out to learn wisdom from. But Mitsuo isn't just the Hermit; he's the Hermit Reversed. A gibbering madman with no real wisdom or insight. A charlatan who just wants recognition and notoriety that, on some level, he knows he doesn't really deserve. That's why the Investigation Team wasn't sure which one was the real Mitsuo and which was the Shadow at first. And it's also why his Shadow claims that it's empty; Mitsuo embraces the dark, negative aspects of himself, leaving nothing for the Shadow to embody. When you defeat it, it fades away because with Mitsuo's corrupted ego willingly embracing his own inner darkness, it has nothing it can use to maintain itself as a distinct, separate entity.

At least, that's one possible interpretation.

This is actually really neat, and I would love it if you could give more explanations as to how each character represents the arcana of the tarot deck.

• Locked thread