Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

However, with the coming SD2SNES I've got a new project thanks to something I found on youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAg2T7d6uU

From what I've read adding in MSU-1 music playback is pretty simplistic, you find the routine where the music is loaded from an op code and modify it to check if the MSU-1 exists. If exists, pass there if not play normally. So in my infinite boredom and limited freetime I figured hey, why not do this to Chrono Trigger! :getin:

Probably won't be done with it for a looooong time but this will be a fun little project.

Oh my lord...that...that... *wipes tear from eye*

I'm going to have to learn hacking SNES ROMs and do this to every game I own, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I'm going to have to learn hacking SNES ROMs and do this to every game I own, aren't I?

This is pretty much what all my free time is devoted to now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
My partner is going to be gone for a funeral this week which means I can be completely antisocial and play with some assembly. Once I have some progress I'll write up a brief digest on how this is all done. Hacking wise it really isn't that hard to do due to how byuu wrote the msu-1

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

I know. I get my hopes up every time I see SOS for just a moment before I realize it's Sink or Swim.

Speaking of packages, I just got a package today from the mysterious east:

Going from top to bottom, right to left as is the only correct way to review the contents of Japanese packages...

• Yoshi's Island
  • Kamaitachi no Yoru
  • Gegege no Kitaro
  • Super Gussun Oyoyo
  • Antarctic Adventure
  • Super Monkey Adventures
  • F1-Race
  • Seikima II :rock:
  • Star Wars (the crazy one that never came out in the US)
  • Tokimeki Memorial
  • Densha de Go!
  • Densha de Go! 64
  • Child Rearing Quiz
  • Michigan: Report From Hell
  • Pac-Land
  • Game Center CX DVD Set 9

Not a bad haul, I think...

I really want a copy of Michigan : Report from Hell and I see that you went on a general GCCX binge of which I am also jealous. Kosodate Quiz My Angel and Densha de Go! :allears:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

This is pretty much what all my free time is devoted to now.

flyboi posted:

My partner is going to be gone for a funeral this week which means I can be completely antisocial and play with some assembly. Once I have some progress I'll write up a brief digest on how this is all done. Hacking wise it really isn't that hard to do due to how byuu wrote the msu-1

Yes, this is beautiful. I am fine when it comes to grunt/monotonous work so if that's the worst of it, you can expect a lot of this from me.

The only thing I'd be confused in how it works would be "looping" or "loop points". Take for example the South Figaro music in FF6. There's a few piano keys during an intro, then the theme that loops perfectly. The little piano intro is never heard again (unless obviously you walk out and back in). How would something like that work with an MP3?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

flyboi posted:

They added the intro as a proof of concept. Unfortunately adding fmv in is tedious compared to just audio so I'll be amazed if they continue.

I'm not sure if I'll do chrono trigger as there's no real orchestral remake of all tracks, maybe ff6 or idk

While maybe not as impressive and remix-y as Resolution Trigger, the remastered tracks by Pedro Castillo cover every song and are pretty nice, and very close to the original songs with the quality bumped up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dear Retro Gaming Megathread, how come you guys didn't tell me about this awesome Atari game TAC/SCAN? It's rare to find an arcade shoot 'em up on the console that's not slow or total garbage.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Yes, this is beautiful. I am fine when it comes to grunt/monotonous work so if that's the worst of it, you can expect a lot of this from me.

The only thing I'd be confused in how it works would be "looping" or "loop points". Take for example the South Figaro music in FF6. There's a few piano keys during an intro, then the theme that loops perfectly. The little piano intro is never heard again (unless obviously you walk out and back in). How would something like that work with an MP3?

The MSU-1 uses its own audio format that has loop points. It's very close to raw PCM, if I remember right, just with some extra data like that.

I've thought about doing the same thing before, but I haven't really had time (and probably won't for a while). It shouldn't be too hard, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

I really want a copy of Michigan : Report from Hell and I see that you went on a general GCCX binge of which I am also jealous. Kosodate Quiz My Angel and Densha de Go! :allears:

I had a few gaps I needed to fill in.

Naturally after the box was already shipped a Densha de Go! controller turned up in Amazon Warehouse Deals for 2900 yen. I'm wondering if the PS1 Densha de Go! controllers work with the PS2 games. They keep sending me pictures of this:

It's only a couple of hundred yen but I decided against it since if I get a Densha de Go! controller then I want something good.

Here's the one that's a bit affordable:

But there's no separate levers for break and accelerator.

This is the one used on the Game Center CX episode:

And it's a nice set up but I'm worried about it being PS1 only and I want a controller that will work with Final which is my preferred Densha de Go!

For the PS2 and the Shinkansen there's this bad boy but the starting price is around $150:

And for the trolley enthusiast there's this cute little number:

BTW, those cavities in all the controller are for holding your pocket watch.

Amazon.co.jp also recommends that I buy a Japanese train quiz game. Nice try Amazon but that's not for me. That driving game that simulates the Japanese countryside between Nagoya and Tokyo that you keep pushing at me, on the other hand...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 15, 2013

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

My 32X has been acting up, it plays Genesis games flawlessly every time but can never get past the 'Produced by or under licenses from Sega LTD' screen for 32X games, only going to black. None of the capacitors are broken; in fact, it looks brand new on the inside. I've tested it with Knuckles Chaotix and Virtua Fighter, all contacts cleaned extensively. The pass-through cable isn't an issue either. This is on a model 2 Genny.

^Also Densha De Go! is awesome, the N64 Densha was my first true import. No controller included though, it's neat how the larger ones have a place to put a pocketwatch.

Southpaw Wusky fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 15, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Random Stranger posted:

I'm a guy and even I think that controller is :3: as gently caress. I wonder if it would be possible to hook one of those controllers up to a PC via a PlayStation to USB adaptor and use them in something like Train Simulator 2013 (using a simplified control scheme of course) or an emulated Densha De Go! title.

Although, knowing me, if I did end up buying one I'd probably would just go for the first one that's an actual gamepad since I'm not a big fan of trying to store larger controllers. Hopefully, once I get a better retro game setup, I'll have a place just for extra controllers and consoles.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

al-azad posted:

Dear Retro Gaming Megathread, how come you guys didn't tell me about this awesome Atari game TAC/SCAN? It's rare to find an arcade shoot 'em up on the console that's not slow or total garbage.

It's a pretty good 2600 game, and it's one of a handful of games released by Sega on the 2600
http://www.atariage.com/company_page.html?CompanyID=49&SystemID=2600&SystemFilterID=2600

On the subject of Atari, it's got to be the best system to collect for if you're into baseball card / stamps / coins style collecting, the AtariAge guys have done such a good job of identifying rarity levels, different makes of the same game, and there are so many crazy rear end third party developers on the system because there was no lockout chip.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of imports, in what sort of makes up for me ordering the wrong SOS, my copy of the DS Umahara Kawase collection came in today as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

And it's a nice set up but I'm worried about it being PS1 only and I want a controller that will work with Final which is my preferred Densha de Go!

For the PS2 and the Shinkansen there's this bad boy but the starting price is around $150:

I'm pretty sure I have this controller and game for N64.

e: Nevermind, I see what you were saying.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm pretty sure I have this controller and game for N64.

There's a Dreamcast version of that same set up, too (and it's probably the cheapest "full" Densha de Go! controller to get).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh man, I'm playing Growl and it's the most surreal beat 'em up I've ever played. You're a conservationist or something and it begins with poachers torching your bar. This gives you the excuse to go around shooting people with rocket launchers, turning them into bloody chunks, and summoning stampeding deer to end their lives. Your enemies include vast armies of hooded Arabians armed with whips and swords, women in short skirts who pull grenades from their ample cleavage (bonus points for being able to stomp their heads in while they're laying on the ground with their panties exposed), and the final boss is a buff clown with a mutant alien parasite worm thing living in his body. My favorite part is a boss who throws down his weapons and pleads for his life but you break his neck anyway. Don't gently caress with nature!

It's otherwise an average brawler but this game wouldn't be made today in a million years.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ahahahaha that Star Wars Famicom game looks AWESOME, even if it looks hard as poo poo.

"You hit Darth Vader once and he....turns into a scorpion!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo03N039B1s

I'm not usually one for angry videogame nerds but that is pretty funny.

Game actually gives me major Space Quest vibes if Space Quest had better graphics at the time :3:

....I'm going to end up buying a Famicom aren't I. :\

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

Quidnose posted:

....I'm going to end up buying a Famicom aren't I. :\

Yes! Then you'll chop out the tabs in your SNES but be like you know Super Famicoms look pretty cool and you'll buy one of those. After that you're in the clear because Japan stopped making their version of the system look so much cooler than the US version... At least until one of you other retro goons prove me wrong!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really don't understand where they were going with the Star Wars game. For some reason there are multiple "Vaders" which are monsters disguised as Darth Vader including the scorpion one, a skeleton pterodactyl thing, a shark, and "Wampa Vader" (which is exactly what you think it is). From Tatooine you go to Kessel to save Obi-wan, Iskalon, the Death Star to fight the real Vader and Boba Fett, "Tina" (Hoth) where C3PO gets you a ride on a whale's nose to rescue Chewie, Yavin to rescue Han and Leia, and finally the trench run which is a bad top-down shooter. It's strange because the game could be its own thing (multiple Vaders? Why?) but it's clear the devs knew the canon because they used obscure planets from the expanded universe.

It's a miserable game, though. Play Super Star Wars and bask in its superiority.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Sexy Slippers posted:

Yes! Then you'll chop out the tabs in your SNES but be like you know Super Famicoms look pretty cool and you'll buy one of those. After that you're in the clear because Japan stopped making their version of the system look so much cooler than the US version... At least until one of you other retro goons prove me wrong!

I already bought a SFC. :v:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Quidnose posted:

I skipped getting a snes this generation of collecting and went for a sfc mint cib dirt cheap :getin:

Unfortunately this is the 10th-ish sfc/snes I bought over time.. Kill me. Maybe I'll highlight snes cartridge copiers as that was my old niche

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Quidnose posted:

Every time you post something like this, I keep imagining your avatar saying it, with that exact expression. :)

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

flyboi posted:

Unfortunately this is the 10th-ish sfc/snes I bought over time..

Have you started looking for the stripe yet? :v:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Saw something at Half Price Books I couldn't pass on today during lunch. A boxed copy of System Shock 2 in fantastic condition.

It's got a really crazy cover, some kind of reflective, shiny plastic with sparkles in it.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Sexy Slippers posted:

I almost fell down that rabbit hole. And I almost contemplated buying both the Japanese and English versions of games just to swap the shells to play on the SFC. Almost.

The thing is, I'm not interested in having two of the exact same consoles, especially one being gimped because it can't play US carts. Sure, it looks nice, but the fact that a US SNES plays everything is what sealed the deal for me. Besides, the SNES redesign doesn't look half bad anyway. Once modded for SVideo (thanks hamburglar) and RGB, it'll be one of the best SNESes visually anyway.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I had a few gaps I needed to fill in.

Naturally after the box was already shipped a Densha de Go! controller turned up in Amazon Warehouse Deals for 2900 yen. I'm wondering if the PS1 Densha de Go! controllers work with the PS2 games. They keep sending me pictures of this:

It's only a couple of hundred yen but I decided against it since if I get a Densha de Go! controller then I want something good.

Here's the one that's a bit affordable:

But there's no separate levers for break and accelerator.

This is the one used on the Game Center CX episode:

BTW, those cavities in all the controller are for holding your pocket watch.

Amazon.co.jp also recommends that I buy a Japanese train quiz game. Nice try Amazon but that's not for me. That driving game that simulates the Japanese countryside between Nagoya and Tokyo that you keep pushing at me, on the other hand...

Noooooooo I thought i was getting close to having all the ps1 controller accessories....

e: is there a comprehensive list anywhere?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

field balm posted:

Noooooooo I thought i was getting close to having all the ps1 controller accessories....

e: is there a comprehensive list anywhere?

If train controllers are a surprise for you then you've got a long way to go before you have all the specialty controllers. I don't know of a definitive list since there's so many accessories but you can go here and find most of the Japanese ones. Do you have your slot machine controller? How about one of these?

(Just to cut people off, that's a KidsStation Controller which seems like it was used for a line of simple games for children. I see Doraemon, Ultraman, Sailor Moon, Crayon Shin Chan, and Mickey Mouse games for it along with other characters.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 15, 2013

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Chainclaw posted:

Saw something at Half Price Books I couldn't pass on today during lunch. A boxed copy of System Shock 2 in fantastic condition.

It's got a really crazy cover, some kind of reflective, shiny plastic with sparkles in it.

Yeah, the cover rules (as does the game). Really pisses me off though that any Half-Price Books I stop in now always seems to have hired "that guy" that looks up current Amazon prices for everything.

JUST LET ME DIG FOR CLEARANCE BIN TREASURE, OKAY?!

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Sign me up for putting in the excellent symphonic suite into EVO! You can really tell it's a Koichi Sugiyama soundtrack with it, although it's less obvious from the actual game music.

The Joe Man posted:

Yeah, the cover rules (as does the game). Really pisses me off though that any Half-Price Books I stop in now always seems to have hired "that guy" that looks up current Amazon prices for everything.

JUST LET ME DIG FOR CLEARANCE BIN TREASURE, OKAY?!

Are there any secondhand stores that don't do this anymore?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I think it really depends on where you live. My friends mom cleaned out a pawn shop of their NES games for me for almost nothing.

EDIT: She lives in Florida. That was the point of my story. I am good at communicating on the internet.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

fatpat268 posted:

...the fact that a US SNES plays everything

Everything but Terranigma. :smug:

Actually, are there any other worthwhile PAL-only SNES games?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Question for anyone that's replaced batteries in games before:

Is it even possible to replace a CURRENTLY working battery with a new one without wiping the current save?

Specifically, my Mario Paint. It has a huge nostalgia animation/song my brother and I made as kids and I really don't want to lose it.

edit: "currently" pun actually not intended

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

jyrque posted:

Everything but Terranigma. :smug:

Actually, are there any other worthwhile PAL-only SNES games?

You uh...Missed out on Super International Cricket, haha. :D

Check out this page, it's got big lists of the PAL only stuff.
http://www.retrocollect.com/Articles/super-nintendo-game-list-extravaganza.html

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Is it even possible to replace a CURRENTLY working battery with a new one without wiping the current save?

Specifically, my Mario Paint. It has a huge nostalgia animation/song my brother and I made as kids and I really don't want to lose it.

Yep, either use a Retrode or a SNES ROM Copier that can copy SRAM data (such as a Super Wild Card DX2) to back up your save game, replace the battery and load the backup back to the SRAM and you're good to go.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Absolutely.

I do it all the time. It requires you to have equipment to copy the save to your PC (like the retrode) and then copy it back when you put the new battery in. Or, you could wire a separate battery to the circuit as you're replacing the old battery, but that's risky.

At any rate, I'm willing to do it for you, if you'd like. Just cover the cost of shipping, and we'd be good.

Edit: I'd be installing a battery holder, so that in the future, battery changes would be simpler.

I've heard, that if you switch the battery fast enough, enough power retains to power the sram so that you won't lose your data (we're talking 10 seconds or less). I haven't verified this though. Also, if you have a battery holder, you could insert the cart board in the snes (without the shell), and replace the battery with the game turned out, and you won't lose progress.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 15, 2013

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I checked my local Craigslist this morning, and am now a proud member of the Something Awful Trinitron-Havers Club! For only $20, I took home a 27" Trinitron manufactured in 2001 with S-Video and component hookups. It looks and sounds absolutely beautiful. Only catch was this guy lived in an apartment... a third floor apartment. Took a lot of time and caution to make it down without destroying my back, or the TV. Ended up sliding it a lot of the way down.

I bought a TV stand a while back, since I have been planning to get a Craigslist TV for a while. http://www.target.com/p/room-essentials-tv-cart-espresso/-/A-12631540#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton I don't think it will be up to the task. The internet says the TV weighs about 110 lbs, and the stand states the max it can hold is 95 lbs. Clearly, it was made for today's wussy LCDs. Any suggestions for a cheap sturdy stand that can actually hold this thing?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

fatpat268 posted:

Absolutely.

I do it all the time. It requires you to have equipment to copy the save to your PC (like the retrode) and then copy it back when you put the new battery in. Or, you could wire a separate battery to the circuit as you're replacing the old battery, but that's risky.

At any rate, I'm willing to do it for you, if you'd like. Just cover the cost of shipping, and we'd be good.

Edit: I'd be installing a battery holder, so that in the future, battery changes would be simpler.

I've heard, that if you switch the battery fast enough, enough power retains to power the sram so that you won't lose your data (we're talking 10 seconds or less). I haven't verified this though. Also, if you have a battery holder, you could insert the cart board in the snes (without the shell), and replace the battery with the game turned out, and you won't lose progress.

Great response, (thanks 8-bit Miniboss too) I'll have to get back to you - I'd appreciate the service, but the cart itself is out of the house. I didn't even think of a save backup device, in my head I just imagined trying to swap batteries indiana jones style

al-azad
May 28, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

It depends on the item in question. My Goodwill got a bunch of pristine big-box PC games like Ultima IV, some Infocom stuff, and Quest for Glory games that they priced for $3-5 and shoved in the book section. Now if it says "Playstation" or "Nintendo" they will have no problem looking up current prices. Anyone want a decent CIB copy of Link to the Past for $100 because I know where to get one!

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

flyboi posted:

MMC4 was used by 3 games only - two fire emblem games and famicom wars. Not anywhere near as abundant as the other mappers and even still a donor cart will be ~$20, EPROMs ~$20 and if you're wanting to marry it for a US Nintendo a pin converter as well for ~$10 unless you're just going to use an external adapter. I mean, it's doable but I don't care to put the money forward to do such a thing as I don't have a nintendo or an interest in reproducing Nintendo cartridges.

Those games aren't even close to $20 and you'd be removing the chip to put in a different board. This is what people do with other games if I'm not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the_lion posted:

You uh...Missed out on Super International Cricket, haha. :D

Honestly, as a fan of obscure-in-America sports and sports video games in general, I've wanted a decent cricket video game for an age now, the most recent one I ran across was a managerial sim. Have there ever been any good cricket games?

• Locked thread