Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ThePutty posted:

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 is now coming to EU3.

Oh no. Ohnoohnoohnoohno :gonk:

This is just a nightmare, right? Or the fevered ramblings of madmen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Narrator posted:

This is just a nightmare, right? Or the fevered ramblings of madmen?

Speaking of which...

Lietuva in 1.09 is wet dream of Putin

Lietuva is Lithuanian word for my homeland in Pope's bules called Lituae in old ruthenian Litva, in old german Lettowen, all scientists agree that all forms come from lithuanian word of Lietuva or Lētuvā. So all Lithuanian lands should be called Lietuva. Big part of XX century lowland Lithunia (Žemaitija or Samogitia) was called by name of Lithuania by our enemies - first by Poland, then by russians. Now Kremlin's "historians" state that Lithuania was only nowdays Samogitia, and prusians were some sort of russians (iskonno ruskie zemli) - so no Baltic tribes existed, only small band of Zhmuds... Is bad enough to see our coat of arms in ruthenian hands - no ruthenian dukes held this coat of arms, only lithuanians dukes (I agree that our grand dukes only after aquired big teritories in the east started to use Vytis as their coat of arms and in first it was depiction of grand duke himself) and big part of Lithuania is in Masovian hands. Please don't make Lietuva as small as nowdays Samogitia. This land could be called "Samogitia proper" or something... in lithuanian it was Žemaitijos Seniūnija (latin: Capitaneatus Samogitiae, polish:Starostwo Żmudzkie).

:siren: ALL SCIENTISTS AGREE :siren:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Orange Devil posted:

You know what would make EU4 the best game ever? Bringing back Falalalan. That song was awesome.

Isn't there a Falalalan version in the EUIII music pack? I haven't actually got it, but I heard it mentioned.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

:siren: ALL SCIENTISTS AGREE :siren:

I knew the localization experiment would result in meltdowns. Whoever it is that says we pick on the Serbians too much is right. All members of the Paradox forums are prone to nationalistic freak outs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThePutty posted:

Mod of the Year. Now the game can finally model German majority enclaves across Eastern Europe.

Ray and Shirley posted:

I knew the localization experiment would result in meltdowns. Whoever it is that says we pick on the Serbians too much is right. All members of the Paradox forums are prone to nationalistic freak outs.
I know I've certainly advocated this view, though as someone else said, the clay video really doesn't do the Serbians any service.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ThePutty posted:

Good mod, or best mod?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Re Paradox soundtracks: I've always liked the refined class of the Victoria 2 music and the Wagnerian thrum of Hearts of Iron 2

Sampatrick posted:

Good mod, or best mod?
Good mod, yes. Best is when it gets combined with Steppe Wolfe.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 15, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ThePutty posted:

I wonder what the mod creator's signature means. It's so...enigmatic. I'm banking on it involving nationalism.

quote:

I want realize Korea Territory

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder what the mod creator's signature means. It's so...enigmatic. I'm banking on it involving nationalism.

You know, come to think of it, I kinda want to see a video game made by North Koreans. Just to see what it's like.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Tomn posted:

You know, come to think of it, I kinda want to see a video game made by North Koreans. Just to see what it's like.

http://www.pyongyangracer.co/index.html
:tipshat:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mod of the Year. Now the game can finally model German majority enclaves across Eastern Europe.

I would love that but how do you simulate migrations? Saxons werent the only ones moving around.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I know I've certainly advocated this view, though as someone else said, the clay video really doesn't do the Serbians any service.

That video was made by someone itt.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cowcatcher posted:

I would love that but how do you simulate migrations? Saxons werent the only ones moving around.
Add a German settler mechanic similar to the Jewish settler mechanic of MMtM (and probably other mods as well, might be part of that SRI mod?), just with different conditions and effect. Each time you settle more Germans, add a modifier N+1, which when it's high enough compared to the population, switches the province culture to a generic German (or state culture, if a German state). When you first settle Germans, you would have the choice of either getting +tax, or +defensiveness from your settlers (multiplied by higher levels of the modifier), which would lock your choice for the province. That bonus would stay even when the province flips, preventing further settlement. That's basically German settlement of Eastern Europe.

Would probably be pretty unbalanced/annoying, depending one whether you're using the normal map or the HOI3 map though, but I think it could work. Just having the German settlers be a simple bonus to tax/defensiveness, without flipping the province culture, would probably be better on the normal map really.

Cowcatcher posted:

That video was made by someone itt.
Really? Well, it still doesn't help the perception of Serbians being crazy nationalists.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Just ask if he's going to put the Liancourt Rocks in. You'll find out real quick then.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The original Victoria's soundtrack is by far my favorite. Period pieces :allears:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

ThePutty posted:

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 Iron Cross is now coming to EU3.

Had to adjust that for you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThePutty posted:

If I wasn't worried abuot just how slow the game would run, I'd use that. It'd end up being ridiculously unbalanced though, because even if you drop trade values down to 1/10th of their current prices, trade and production income will be incredibly high. It would make a better CK2 map, at least the Europe portion of it. Or an Indian sub-continent map for CK2, that would be interesting.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Add a German settler mechanic similar to the Jewish settler mechanic of MMtM (and probably other mods as well, might be part of that SRI mod?), just with different conditions and effect. Each time you settle more Germans, add a modifier N+1, which when it's high enough compared to the population, switches the province culture to a generic German (or state culture, if a German state). When you first settle Germans, you would have the choice of either getting +tax, or +defensiveness from your settlers (multiplied by higher levels of the modifier), which would lock your choice for the province. That bonus would stay even when the province flips, preventing further settlement. That's basically German settlement of Eastern Europe.

Would probably be pretty unbalanced/annoying, depending one whether you're using the normal map or the HOI3 map though, but I think it could work. Just having the German settlers be a simple bonus to tax/defensiveness, without flipping the province culture, would probably be better on the normal map really.

I'm gonna be the PC brigade now and complain about the lack of Wlach, Roma and Tatar migrants in your proporsal

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A certain site is back online.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Patter Song posted:

"Pay Gold. Shed Blood. Instill Fear. Promise Hope."

There is no :ironicat: big enough

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 16, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cowcatcher posted:

I'm gonna be the PC brigade now and complain about the lack of Wlach, Roma and Tatar migrants in your proporsal
They're all part of the Balkan culture, along with the Croatians, Serbians, Greeks, Turks, Romanians and Hungarians, and would thus be part of the Balkan Settler mechanic, which adds +1 revolt risk for each level of the modifier, outside clay producing provinces.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Alchenar posted:

"Pay Gold. Shed Blood. Instill Fear. Promise Hope."

There is no :ironicat: big enough

Oh boy! Promising hope, paying [someone else's] gold, and instilling fear is something Ubik is very good at, so I can't wait!

Edit: OP updated!

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 16, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're all part of the Balkan culture, along with the Croatians, Serbians, Greeks, Turks, Romanians and Hungarians, and would thus be part of the Balkan Settler mechanic, which adds +1 revolt risk for each level of the modifier, outside clay producing provinces.

Don't let anyone from Eastern Europe hear you saying that the Roma are part of their culture!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do the MM folks still even have the source code and/or the right to keep working on it? I don't get what the point of relaunching the website is, unless somehow Ubik still has people working for him for free and he thinks he can still release the game. I dunno, maybe for free?

By the by, is Kaiserreich compatible with the latest casualty-tracking DH patch? And is there a way to turn Japan into a Syndicalist country? The new LP got me thinking.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do the MM folks still even have the source code and/or the right to keep working on it? I don't get what the point of relaunching the website is, unless somehow Ubik still has people working for him for free and he thinks he can still release the game. I dunno, maybe for free?

By the by, is Kaiserreich compatible with the latest casualty-tracking DH patch? And is there a way to turn Japan into a Syndicalist country? The new LP got me thinking.

According to ubik, the MM folks currently have the rights to the EU3 engine, not just MM's source code

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gradenko_2000 posted:

The newest version of Kaiserriech is compatible, though it doesn't include casualty statistics yet.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Beamed posted:

According to ubik, the MM folks currently have the rights to the EU3 engine, not just MM's source code

This revelation was brought to him, as I understand, because the contract he had with Paradox allegedly didn't specify who owns the engine. I'm going to assume Ubik is banking on a carrer as a Swedish Contract Law expert.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Why not just skip the formalities and mod CK2 to add a "Kingdom of the Balkans" with de jure claims on everything from Cyprus to Trieste? Set all the cultures to just Balkan (in the culture group with Polish, obviously), make everything Catholic except Shia in Turkey, make all the nobles Italian and Roma.

For EU3/4, just do a mod where Europe and the Middle East are glossed over like the rest of the world in vanilla, but Asia, Africa and the Americas get detailed historical events and each nation has accurately modeled political systems. Model dozens of individual daimyo with the HRE mechanic, replace the HRE with Austria, Bavaria, Lombardy, Burgundy and a renamed shogunate.

All HOI needs is a mod that switches division names around so the Desert Rats are fighting in Burma and the 101st and 82nd are marine divisions.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Patter Song posted:

There are even more very impressive game features in italics than I remember for Magnus Mundi

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

DrProsek posted:

This revelation was brought to him, as I understand, because the contract he had with Paradox allegedly didn't specify who owns the engine. I'm going to assume Ubik is banking on a carrer as a Swedish Contract Law expert.

Other fun things for those who didn't poke around the UV forums before it went down - shortly before the end Ubik went on this big, massive rant about how Paradox clearly "feared" Magna Mundi and how it would show up presumably the entire Paradox product line as being weak and inferior. His evidence that they feared Magna Mundi and were actively sabotaging it? The fact that they weren't promoting it hard and tried to deflect questions about it at expos and the like. He bragged about how, despite being given practically no presence or booth space at one particular expo, he and the MM team who were there nevertheless actively raised a fuss, passed out brochures, and wrangled interviews despite Paradox reps trying to shut them down.

Keep in mind this is all months after the original release date passed with the game itself still in a code-wrecked shambles, missing things like working war, diplomacy, and AI, with even the most supportive beta-testers saying things like "It doesn't really crash all THAT often, and anyways there's autosaves."

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

There are even more very impressive game features in italics than I remember for Magnus Mundi

I always thought that Paradox never implemented enough historical processes in their games.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

quote:

Manage warfare, diplomacy, economy, knowledge, internal affairs, cultural outlook, religious policies, espionage and much more to engrave in gold your country’s name in the Annals of History… or fail in that delicate balance and witness how it will become a faded footnote lost in ages long past.

I love this "sentence."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If anyone knows about becoming a faded footnote in the Annals of History, it's Ubik :cripes:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Why not just skip the formalities and mod CK2 to add a "Kingdom of the Balkans" with de jure claims on everything from Cyprus to Trieste? Set all the cultures to just Balkan (in the culture group with Polish, obviously), make everything Catholic except Shia in Turkey, make all the nobles Italian and Roma.

For EU3/4, just do a mod where Europe and the Middle East are glossed over like the rest of the world in vanilla, but Asia, Africa and the Americas get detailed historical events and each nation has accurately modeled political systems. Model dozens of individual daimyo with the HRE mechanic, replace the HRE with Austria, Bavaria, Lombardy, Burgundy and a renamed shogunate.

All HOI needs is a mod that switches division names around so the Desert Rats are fighting in Burma and the 101st and 82nd are marine divisions.

As a person from the Balkans, I feel my worldview was shattered by your snappy reply. You have shown me the error of my nationalistic ways. I will strive to be like you in every regard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Playing EU3 and man I hope Paradox takes a few pointers from CK2 for warfare reasons. I thought I was ok with "No casus belli" wars but I forgot how goddamn frustrating that is. EU3 plus helps a lot with AI restraint and breaking up some of the bigger countries but he can only do so much in regards to cascading alliances and I seriously hope they work on that in EU4. I feel bad for save scumming but when mecha-Bohemia gets called in because they're a friend of a friend, I don't think it's really on me for loving that up.

Edit: On the topic of EU3 Plus. For the colonial power decision what provinces are the Northern/Southern exploration ports?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 16, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

RagnarokAngel posted:

Playing EU3 and man I hope Paradox takes a few pointers from CK2 for warfare reasons. I thought I was ok with "No casus belli" wars but I forgot how goddamn frustrating that is. EU3 plus helps a lot with AI restraint and breaking up some of the bigger countries but he can only do so much in regards to cascading alliances and I seriously hope they work on that in EU4. I feel bad for save scumming but when mecha-Bohemia gets called in because they're a friend of a friend, I don't think it's really on me for loving that up.

Edit: On the topic of EU3 Plus. For the colonial power decision what provinces are the Northern/Southern exploration ports?

It makes fighting OPMs a nightmare because they always have at least a two province buddy, and that two province buddy will be so much stronger than his one province ally that the TPM takes control of the war, calling in God knows who, who in turn takes control and calls in someone even bigger, and basically by 1600, all wars involve France or Spain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why don't they just dump the idea of alliance leaders? Is there historical precedence for this sort of thing?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
The design idea makes sense, as it would be ridiculous if smaller country A has a major power ally B, but B never gets the chance to help, because the aggressor quickly gets what they want from A and pieces, ending the war. If a dramatically more powerful ally is called in, it makes see for them to take control of negotiations, historical preference or not. Cascading alliances is another matter.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

RagnarokAngel posted:

If I remember right you can check which provinces are in these groups with the Regions map mode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can see the exact provinces in the regions map mode, but basically southern exploration ports are the west coast of Morocco and Iberia and northern exploration ports are the coasts of France, Britain, and the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I wouldn't mind if the second-level allies could be called but only fight in defense of their actual allies' territory so they can't get improbably roped into the initial aggression. But that raises some questions about how strictly you define that (must the fighting take place within the ally's borders?) and might be too nuanced for the AI to handle.

• Locked thread