Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah, I played that but didn't really get the appeal. Just felt like another slot machine to me. Where are my iOS fruit machines Apple? :mad:

You may not have noticed that King Cashing is a timing game, when you press stop the image that was centered at the moment is the one that stops, and you can stop each reel individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

aherdofpenguins posted:

How...? I have 11 Travel Tokens, and the cheapest place to go costs 18.

Weird, I went to NYC for 3 tokens, the most expensive on my list was ~9.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Uberskooper posted:

A little late, but I'll contribute my most played games:

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion: The ultimate medieval/pre-modern war game on the iOS. It features a grand story (I have read the style described as similar to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem) that includes a full map and Codex of all of the formations, nations, and characters. The dialog writing is okay, but the background is really excellent. Almost no Tolkienesque stereotypes like in many fantasy settings. Instead each nation is unique and pretty compelling. The gameplay is turn-based with units that represent about 20 men each (called elements) that can be attached together into formations that gain special abilities, but are also vulnerable on the flanks. You get a limited number of "orders" each turn that represent messengers that you (as the general) send out to your regimental officers.

This game just received an update that completes the current story arc. It contains 51 missions in total. They get progressively better with each campaign, in my experience. I don't know how many hours I have put into this game.

I've become lost in Blockheads land with the rest of the thread, but I did manage to check this one out. This is absolutely perfect, thanks!

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm assuming it's calculated by distance...and considering I'm literally 5000 miles away I can see how it would take quite a few more tokens for me to get there!

drat, oh well. I guess the moral of the story is if you're not in America, then stay away from Life is Magic.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Bottom Liner posted:

It might be a more US-centric game and traveling across an ocean is expensive. What's your character name? I need to make a party for this quest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Hebug posted:

It might be a more US-centric game and traveling across an ocean is expensive. What's your character name? I need to make a party for this quest.

Booshi. This character is only level 2 though, I'm getting boned and can't get through any level 1 dungeons.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Reciprocator posted:

Playing zenonia 5 on my 3rd gen ipad, everything plays very smoothly until about 1.5 hrs in. Suddenly, getting quite a bit of graphical slowdown out of nowhere. Memory leak or other issue, anyone else run into this?

Definitely memory leaks.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

aherdofpenguins posted:

I'm assuming it's calculated by distance...and considering I'm literally 5000 miles away I can see how it would take quite a few more tokens for me to get there!

drat, oh well. I guess the moral of the story is if you're not in America, then stay away from Life is Magic.

Are you jailbroken? There's some stuff on Cydia that allows you to spoof your location.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

Bummey posted:

Are you jailbroken? There's some stuff on Cydia that allows you to spoof your location.

iPhone 5 ;( Thanks anyway for the info, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Booshi. This character is only level 2 though, I'm getting boned and can't get through any level 1 dungeons.

I just added you, so you'll have a level 6 Monk with you if you want to keep playing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

I just added you, so you'll have a level 6 Monk with you if you want to keep playing.

Wow gently caress this game. Went in a level 1 dungeon with another level 5 and 6 in my party. Steamrolled through 9 levels then the 10th level boss one shot everyone. The first 9 levels monsters hit for about 20-50 a hit, then he hit all characters for 450-500, and instantly gave me popups for IAP to revive my characters (who would just get one shotted again). In a level 1 dungeon. With 2 overleveled characters. Also, for doing an entire dungeon you get maybe 400 gold, yet a single potion costs 1,000 gold. gently caress. This. Game. IAP-sink grindfest.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

nucleicmaxid posted:

Add me too I think I'm level 4. Hebug.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I added you. I'm a leve 4 by the name of "shwqa" .

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

The Hebug posted:

If you need another dude for Life is Magic add me (player name is SA username). I'm in Boston with shitloads to do but I'm still figuring this thing out.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Is anyone else playing D.O.T. Defenders of Texel? It's your typical Mobage energy sink, but at least it tries to be a little different, with its 'battle system.' The sprites are kinda cool. If anyone else is checking it out, feel free to friend me (same name in-game).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

randyest posted:

If you need another dude for Life is Magic add me (player name is SA username). I'm in Boston with shitloads to do but I'm still figuring this thing out.

I added you and gave you some free stuff.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Duranki posted:

Is anyone else playing D.O.T. Defenders of Texel? It's your typical Mobage energy sink, but at least it tries to be a little different, with its 'battle system.' The sprites are kinda cool. If anyone else is checking it out, feel free to friend me (same name in-game).

I was, played through the event to get top 500 then took a break. I like making my pixelly mans into different pixelly mans with fusing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Wow gently caress this game. Went in a level 1 dungeon with another level 5 and 6 in my party. Steamrolled through 9 levels then the 10th level boss one shot everyone. The first 9 levels monsters hit for about 20-50 a hit, then he hit all characters for 450-500, and instantly gave me popups for IAP to revive my characters (who would just get one shotted again). In a level 1 dungeon. With 2 overleveled characters. Also, for doing an entire dungeon you get maybe 400 gold, yet a single potion costs 1,000 gold. gently caress. This. Game. IAP-sink grindfest.

I'm going to assume you're not going to keep playing so I'm going to grab one of the other goons from the list since I only have the one free slot (MY FIANCEE is the first group slot.) If you are going to keep on playing let me know and I'll go back to you, since you had dibs.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
If anyone is interested in shmups on iOS, i'd recommend buying cave's Bug Princess 2.
It's got a very intuitive and forgiving score system (unlike DoDonPachi, which is very unforgiving), bright colours and a lot of content for little money. Its beginner friendly and works well on iOS since there are only 2 buttons.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

nucleicmaxid posted:

I'm going to assume you're not going to keep playing so I'm going to grab one of the other goons from the list since I only have the one free slot (MY FIANCEE is the first group slot.) If you are going to keep on playing let me know and I'll go back to you, since you had dibs.

I had the opposite experience. Now that I have a party I finished my first dungeon. Though I think having a mage in my party instead of 2 machinists might be nice. Is anyone playing a mage to complement shwqa and I?

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Add me in Life Is Magic. Username is Mind Spew.

Level 5 monk at the moment.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My roommate and I both were off today and killed a ton of time paying Life Is Magic. Loving it so far, add both of us, I'm Beastie and he is BillMcFlurry. We'll send you swag.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Fruit machines and slot machines are the same thing.

And now the first episode of The Inbetweeners makes much more sense when Neil says "I lost 10 quid on the fruity."

kontona
May 3, 2003

anybody here play dominion? it's a risk-clone with asynchronous multiplayer. when it's working (server's usually down) it's pretty great.

also, any recommendations for async multiplayer games? i liked uniwar and hero academy but looking for something new.

Sandwich Fight
Oct 11, 2004

Explosion

Beastie posted:

My roommate and I both were off today and killed a ton of time paying Life Is Magic. Loving it so far, add both of us, I'm Beastie and he is BillMcFlurry. We'll send you swag.

I added both of you. I'm explosioner a machinist.
I really like location based games and stuff so I'll probably play a while.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

kontona posted:

anybody here play dominion? it's a risk-clone with asynchronous multiplayer. when it's working (server's usually down) it's pretty great.

also, any recommendations for async multiplayer games? i liked uniwar and hero academy but looking for something new.
Stratergy seems pretty good, in the similar vein of Risk-clone (with slightly more customisability/less polished rules). I got it from the first post, and the community for it doesn't seem too big - but it's an interesting game.

Of the TCG games that are around, are there any that are particularly good/interesting and should be tried, or...? I'm not a massive fan of the genre but happy to give it a go.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

kontona posted:

The number of 1 star reviews is scaring me off.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I hope Square starts to learn its lesson regarding pricing. That new rhythm game kills me--I would actually like to play it, but the bizarre pricing scheme is so stupid and unfair that I can't justify it. But at least the F2P model makes more App Store sense than $16 or whatever for FFT. Which was practically unplayable, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm interested in seeing what this new thing is, but I am skeptical as hell.

P.s. dear square please make theatrhythm way way cheaper, or at least the same price as the same goddamn game you released on 3DS.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

Ursine Asylum posted:

The number of 1 star reviews is scaring me off.

It shouldn't, at least since I looked at it last. It was solid and reliable, a pretty decent risk clone, cool visuals and game modes with no ads or IAP. It's good for what it is. That was a year ago though, maybe something changed.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Allan Assiduity posted:

Of the TCG games that are around, are there any that are particularly good/interesting and should be tried, or...? I'm not a massive fan of the genre but happy to give it a go.

Ascention

It's techincally not a TCG (it's a Deck Building Game :eng101:), but it scratches that itch far better than any other money-sink faux card-collecting game that's currently on the iPhone.

If you have an iPad, the Magic: The Gathering game(s) are very good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Summoner Wars is also great. Solforge looks promising too, barring some balance adjustments after the beta release.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

A new update to Life is Magic is out but it seems to have broken the app for me, at least the menus. Sorry to the goon whose party I quit, I did it by accident while trying to get the menus to function.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

A new update to Life is Magic is out but it seems to have broken the app for me, at least the menus. Sorry to the goon whose party I quit, I did it by accident while trying to get the menus to function.

Haha I just disbanded my team by accident as well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

DNK posted:

Ascention

It's techincally not a TCG (it's a Deck Building Game :eng101:), but it scratches that itch far better than any other money-sink faux card-collecting game that's currently on the iPhone.

If you have an iPad, the Magic: The Gathering game(s) are very good.

Yeah, I think Ascension is the game I've gotten the most pick-up-and-play value out of anything on the iPhone. I'll put it down for a few weeks, then come back and it'll be great again.

I haven't played the actual card game, but it might actually be one that is better on iOS than live.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shwqa posted:

Haha I just disbanded my team by accident as well.

A likely story since now I can't join your new full party.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

The Hebug posted:

A likely story since now I can't join your new full party.

Alright you caught me, I just wanted the level 2 out of our team. We are back on for murder!

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shwqa posted:

Alright you caught me, I just wanted the level 2 out of our team. We are back on for murder!

Haha. Seriously is nobody playing mage?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Just made a mage, IGN same as SA, picked names at random to send invites to.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Uberskooper posted:

Ravenmark: Scourge of Estellion: The ultimate medieval/pre-modern war game on the iOS. It features a grand story (I have read the style described as similar to Advance Wars and Fire Emblem) that includes a full map and Codex of all of the formations, nations, and characters. The dialog writing is okay, but the background is really excellent. Almost no Tolkienesque stereotypes like in many fantasy settings. Instead each nation is unique and pretty compelling. The gameplay is turn-based with units that represent about 20 men each (called elements) that can be attached together into formations that gain special abilities, but are also vulnerable on the flanks. You get a limited number of "orders" each turn that represent messengers that you (as the general) send out to your regimental officers.

This game just received an update that completes the current story arc. It contains 51 missions in total. They get progressively better with each campaign, in my experience. I don't know how many hours I have put into this game.

I just played the last campaign, and this was well worth the $10 it costs now for the full game. My favorite iOS game.

Now that I beat it can I go back to wasting time on PunchQuest getting super high scores for them to delete off GameCenter to keep me wanting to play. I'm on to you kepa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Allan Assiduity posted:

Stratergy seems pretty good, in the similar vein of Risk-clone (with slightly more customisability/less polished rules). I got it from the first post, and the community for it doesn't seem too big - but it's an interesting game.

Ascension is super-solid - it's easy to pick up and digest, it's polished, and online play works great. I'm thinking of pushing my brother into getting the expansions with me to see how those are.

Bottom Liner posted:

Summoner Wars is also great. Solforge looks promising too, barring some balance adjustments after the beta release.
Solforge is like Ascension in that it's also a deck building game that's easy to pick up and digest, but there's no online yet. It's currently free though, so why not pick it up and try it anyway?

• Locked thread