Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

slidebite posted:

JAL grounded their 787s after an emergency landing. Sounds like it was battery related too.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ana-operated-boeing-787-makes-emergency-landing-smoke-003317726--finance.html

When was the last time a technical fault caused a crash of a newly introduced aircraft?

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

2ndclasscitizen posted:

When was the last time a technical fault caused a crash of a newly introduced aircraft?

Depends on how you define "newly introduced," but the DC-10's cargo door issue started causing major incidents less than a year after it entered service and had its first fatal mishap two years later.

And of course you've got the Comet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

iyaayas01 posted:

Depends on how you define "newly introduced," but the DC-10's cargo door issue started causing major incidents less than a year after it entered service and had its first fatal mishap two years later.

And of course you've got the Comet.

I guess within <5yrs, enough time for them to start getting a decent number of airlines running them. I was just thinking about in terms of the shitstorm that always surrounds these issues, that despite suffering from teething problems minor or major, I can't remember anything happening to any recent new jets that was actually going to turn it into a lawn dart. I mean, that QANTAS A380 shat an entire engine all over a small island and as far as I've gathered still made it back to land without the pilots losing control of the plane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

NightGyr posted:

I could have sworn I saw an AWACS over JFK after Sandy. I'd imagine it was coordinating military relief flights, but that's just speculation. Do they ever use those for domestic coordination?

You saw it from where? If you were on the ground, probably not. There's a fair chance they were up there to coordinate, but they'd be at altitude and you're not going to get eyes on it well enough to ID it. If they were forward-deploying jets to that area, they wouldn't do it at JFK; there are military facilities that are just as well-positioned and actually have the infrastructure available. I've spent weeks up there doing that kind of stuff.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Godholio posted:

You saw it from where? If you were on the ground, probably not. There's a fair chance they were up there to coordinate, but they'd be at altitude and you're not going to get eyes on it well enough to ID it. If they were forward-deploying jets to that area, they wouldn't do it at JFK; there are military facilities that are just as well-positioned and actually have the infrastructure available. I've spent weeks up there doing that kind of stuff.

I was doing relief work out in Jamaica Bay, and it looked like it was taking off from the runways at JFK. I thought it was odd they'd operate from JFK instead of one of the bases in the area, too.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Somebody's crashed a Westland AW109 into a construction crane in the Vauxhall region of London this morning:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21040410

2 confirmed dead already, no mention if they were both in the helicopter. :( Reports are low/cloud fog in the area and potentially no visibility lights on the building/crane.

The coverage is suprisingly restrained on TV, they just had somebody involved with a helicopter company (didn't catch if he was a pilot or not) who very calmly explained IFR, low visibility flying and air corridors and how this really, really shouldn't happen.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

slidebite posted:

JAL grounded their 787s after an emergency landing. Sounds like it was battery related too.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ana-operated-boeing-787-makes-emergency-landing-smoke-003317726--finance.html
How hard is it for Boeing to fix a loving battery? They don't need an 100% solution _right this instant_, just something that puts out power and doesn't catch fire, and can follow up with lighter-better-cheaper later.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

grover posted:

How hard is it for Boeing to fix a loving battery? They don't need an 100% solution _right this instant_, just something that puts out power and doesn't catch fire, and can follow up with lighter-better-cheaper later.

The APU battery is a lithium ion battery made by YUASA.

Lithium batteries also caused some problems for the Chevrolet Volt when it was first launched.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

grover posted:

Problem is paperwork and certification takes forever. And that's once you have a root cause. Trust me, no one at Boeing is sitting on their rear end watching this unfold and waiting for direction.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Sorry guys I am bad at my job and now airplanes are crashing :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

grover posted:

Jesus Christ no.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

That is probably the most heavily loaded, highest duty cycle battery ever installed in an aircraft. You can't just chuck a Diehard in if the OE starts giving you problems.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Hey, man, if he has to Bruce Willis will power the whole aircraft.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

grover posted:

Perhaps you're not the ideal person to suggest how to fix things properly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rscott posted:

Sorry guys I am bad at my job and now airplanes are crashing :(
Everyone thinks being an engineer in aerospace means you're a Galahad or a Lancelot, when in actual fact you go to great pains to be Sir Not Appearing On This Paperwork.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Mike-o posted:

So how do you guys (and the air force) deal with parking a plane at a civilian airport if you're over-nighting? I'm assuming there aren't any security forces guys following you everywhere you go.

The only time we overnight anywhere is if it is approved by the appropriate authority (depends, but normally squadron or air wing commander) and the civilian airport has to meet certain security restrictions. There is almost always a pre-approved list and anything not on the list normally requires jumping through your own rear end in a top hat to get approval. It's up to the requesting pilot to provide documentation that the requested field complies.

In more than 5 years doing this I have never seen a USN aircraft ferry live ordnance. When we carry live rounds it is specifically to use on that flight on a designated range. In that case we will always plan for military alternates, and if everything goes to poo poo and we land in the middle of nowhere we will not leave the aircraft (like, I don't leave arm's reach and nobody else gets near me) until the qualified people arrive to safe and secure the aircraft. We do often carry inert/training ordnance (captive carry weapons that can only leave the jet by jettisoning in an emergency: meaning you couldn't arm the jet and release the weapon) but even then we're going to military fields for 1)security (don't want someone stealing even our practice toys) and 2)to avoid causing unsuspecting Joe Public to freak out and call the media about us preparing for an imminent terror attack on their town. (This has happened)

I had this happen to me once: diverted as an emergency aircraft to a not-secure-enough field with ordnance on the jet. Thankfully the brain trust on the boat had the sense to send someone with me so we could take turns on watch in the cold, dark night while the other person slept in a nearby hotel. It was not fun.

Edit: If you intend on taking a jet somewhere out of the ordinary (air shows, static displays for veterans groups, whatever the excuse) and you can't find an ANG unit nearby that you can bribe with alchohol you're a moron and don't deserve to go.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Everyone thinks being an engineer in aerospace means you're a Galahad or a Lancelot, when in actual fact you go to great pains to be Sir Not Appearing On This Paperwork.

You would not believe (actually you probably would) how many times I've had to pull the trump card of, "well I'm not signing off on this operation, if you think it's good enough then you sign it" lately.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/01/faa-orders-airlines-to-stop-flying-boeing-787/#.UPc4TmdrqF8

Welp, FAA has grounded the 787 until "proven safe."

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

So much for going down to San Diego and seeing a JAL 787 before school starting next week then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh great. Now we'll have to keep these whipping these tired old 767 nags even longer. Haven't they (and by they I mean I) suffered enough? Give us new planes with new problems we can fix! (and by fix I mean defer under MEL)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This will be interesting to watch first thing tomorrow

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

gently caress I own that :gonk:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hang on to it. Buy even more tomorrow.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I'm not seeing any orders getting canceled because of this unless the problems are far more severe than what they've been saying so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Hang on to it. Buy even more tomorrow.

If I could legally buy airline stocks and had some money laying around I'd buy the poo poo out of it. It's not like the wings are falling off of them, it's a loving battery.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Are we out of luck with manufacturer stocks too?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

fknlo posted:

If I could legally buy airline stocks and had some money laying around I'd buy the poo poo out of it. It's not like the wings are falling off of them, it's a loving battery.

This is the time to buy YUASA. They're not going under. They're going to fix this, and make bank. Their stock is down 50% from a year ago, though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would buy it too, it'll just be an interesting ride when the bell rings tomorrow.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I just put in an order at $60. Let's see if it hits.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
On the other hand, this is definitely going to have a severe negative impact on project profitability, but Boeing will break even off this project in the end. The problem would be if future orders go to the A350, assuming the A350 doesn't have similar teething problems (which is extremely unlikely).

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Eurowhite livery is coming to America...n: http://www.aa.com/newamerican

Except for that godawful tail.

ManifunkDestiny fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 17, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Ugh I'm no graphic designer but that transition to the tail/rear paint job (or lack of rather) is just jarring. Please try again American :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

That is really ugly.

It reminds me of some South American airline from the 70s or 80s.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ManifunkDestiny posted:

I like it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Whelp, other than the first thing AM automated sells, it seems to be a pretty small hiccup so far.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Blech, that tail. It's like Dominicana or something except way, way worse.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

That is really ugly.

It reminds me of some South American airline from the 70s or 80s.

The typeface looks like something a 2007-era tech startup would use to set their name.

The tail's too jingoistic, like a state-owned (or formerly-state-owned) airline.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Just got an email from Delta stating their frequent flier program will no longer require just 25000 miles per tier, but also $2500 in spending, effective 1JAN14. All my flights are GSA contract tickets which are stupid cheap, though, unfortunately. Guess my days of getting free upgrades on Delta are about done :(

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/about-skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-qualification-dollars.html

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The tail's too jingoistic, like a state-owned (or formerly-state-owned) airline.

It is very jingoistic, though in photos of aircraft actually painted in it it's more complex (slightly) than it looks in that CG video, there's a bit of back-and-forth gradation in the striping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The typeface looks like something a 2007-era tech startup would use to set their name.

Helvetica Neue Medium: For when you absolutely positively have no ideas, but still want to get paid.