Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Today I dug up Ascension after seeing it mentioned here. Is there any type of progression to the single-player or is it basically just botmatch practice for the multiplayer? Like am I supposed to do something to unlock the rest of those avatars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I the only one thrown off by the scenery in that temple run 2 video? I know it's all randomly generated but when your levels is a walkway high above the clouds with nothing in from of you but a right turn followed by 2 sharp lefts leadigg into a long oath with mountain tops makes my mental compass all crazy. (should have been visible before the first right turn)

It's cause it all gets randomly generated and then pops in because they have quite a shallow draw distance, so you'd never see it from that far. As some of you guys know I helped make Agent Dash which is another endless runner game, so I was just wondering what consumers thought of their new game so thanks for the feedback!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Minidust posted:

Today I dug up Ascension after seeing it mentioned here. Is there any type of progression to the single-player or is it basically just botmatch practice for the multiplayer? Like am I supposed to do something to unlock the rest of those avatars?

No progression, I believe the rest of the avatars come with the various expansions.

Since it was asked on the other page, I really enjoyed the expansions as well, except maybe the promo cards. gently caress the Rat King.

It's also fun that you can mix and match any of the expansions and change victory points, which allows for more types of strategies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

concerned mom posted:

It's cause it all gets randomly generated and then pops in because they have quite a shallow draw distance, so you'd never see it from that far. As some of you guys know I helped make Agent Dash which is another endless runner game, so I was just wondering what consumers thought of their new game so thanks for the feedback!

I was actually going to add that I liked Agent Dash because its level design never really broke the "immersion" since it was all a jungle / tunnel / town. The animations were really nice too, the guy running in TR2 looks loving weird but then again an endless sprint must suck.

Seems to me like an odd design decision to go with a level that can showcase the shortcomings of the random level generation.

EIDT: Though if you're also looking for Agent Dash feedback, the last update that made things "easier" absolutely killed the game for me. It changed the game from a fast-paced gem collecting while dodging poo poo to something that began a snail pace and never really caught up with the older/faster pace. So one run now took what felt like twice as long to collect maybe the same amount of gems I used to collect in half the time.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 16, 2013

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Temple Run has always sucked, I couldn't play it for 10 seconds without getting a headache.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

No progression, I believe the rest of the avatars come with the various expansions.

Since it was asked on the other page, I really enjoyed the expansions as well, except maybe the promo cards. gently caress the Rat King.

It's also fun that you can mix and match any of the expansions and change victory points, which allows for more types of strategies.
Haven't bought Ascension yet, but are the expansions basically necessary for it to get good/interesting? If it is, I probably won't pay the £3 or so it initially takes to get it, unless the expansions are like a quid each.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

The base game is solid and playable as is, the expansions do make it better though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The expansions are fantastic and add a ton of replay value. You can mix the sets or play them all individually, which really makes it have a ton of content and changes the strategy significantly depending on what sets are being played.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

marshmonkey posted:

The video was made by some review site, not the developers.

Made my some Austrian kid who haunts the TA forums.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

EIDT: Though if you're also looking for Agent Dash feedback, the last update that made things "easier" absolutely killed the game for me. It changed the game from a fast-paced gem collecting while dodging poo poo to something that began a snail pace and never really caught up with the older/faster pace. So one run now took what felt like twice as long to collect maybe the same amount of gems I used to collect in half the time.

Hah thanks for the feedback. Sadly I don't have control over the design but all I can say is it's hard to make it easy for new players and tough for harder ones and I agree with a lot of what you're saying :v:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shwqa posted:

I added you and gave you some free stuff.
Thanks! I have no idea what I'm doing in this game!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'll make a life is magic thread after work, unless someone else wants too. I know people are going to start complaining soon, so we might as well preemptively make one to be nice.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Allan Assiduity posted:

Haven't bought Ascension yet, but are the expansions basically necessary for it to get good/interesting? If it is, I probably won't pay the £3 or so it initially takes to get it, unless the expansions are like a quid each.

I snagged the base game when it was free and bought the expansions shortly after. Played the base game like crazy and just introduced the first expansion to the mix to spice things up after a ton of play since Christmas. I highly recommend picking up the core game, it's a ton of fun and you'll likely enjoy it so much the expansions become automatic purchases.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?

io_burn posted:

Made my some Austrian kid who haunts the TA forums.

Sanuku is like 'the 5th Beatle' of TouchArcade. He must own every iOS game ever made, as much as he posts in the forums.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

Arzakon posted:

I just played the last campaign, and this was well worth the $10 it costs now for the full game. My favorite iOS game.

Now that I beat it can I go back to wasting time on PunchQuest getting super high scores for them to delete off GameCenter to keep me wanting to play. I'm on to you kepa.

What did you think of the ending? I was kind of surprised that killed off Callius. The whole thing is kind of a nice setup for the state of the world for the upcoming multiplayer game. Everything is in chaos and there are a ton of factions left over with their own goals. I also liked how Livia seems like she is basically going to be the Lady from the Black Company books. She's going to turn the Empire from a "good guy" meritocracy into something more brutal and evil.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I hope Square starts to learn its lesson regarding pricing. That new rhythm game kills me--I would actually like to play it, but the bizarre pricing scheme is so stupid and unfair that I can't justify it. But at least the F2P model makes more App Store sense than $16 or whatever for FFT. Which was practically unplayable, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm interested in seeing what this new thing is, but I am skeptical as hell.

P.s. dear square please make theatrhythm way way cheaper, or at least the same price as the same goddamn game you released on 3DS.

Good news, Square has decided this new game will use the same bullshit price-gouging setup because they probably have enough people paying to make it worth repeating. Looking forward to having to spend $50+ if I want to have all the content from a game that cost them a fraction of what they spend on console game development! :confuoot:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Duranki posted:

Sanuku is like 'the 5th Beatle' of TouchArcade. He must own every iOS game ever made, as much as he posts in the forums.

Mind you he runs ads on all of his videos, I imagine he's making a decent chunk of change.

Ketheriel
May 28, 2007
I've played FF All the Bravest for awhile and, like Evil Fluffy said, it's essentially a giant IAP sink for people too into the brand and who want to see their favorite characters rendered in sprite form. Pretty inexcusable for even a free game, but they charge for the app itself as well. Sucks. I was really excited about the concept, and had hoped it would be so awesome, my dick would rocket through my pants and off into the sun. Instead, it just fell into a puddle.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
So do you need to buy IAP to get new classes period or is it just for the signature characters? No one seems to clarify on this distinction and it makes criticizing the IAP muddled.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 17, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So I played Temple Run 2 for a bit having sunk a decent amount of time into the original, and it made me feel super nauseous. Yuck. Also some of the "prompts" for lack of a better word seem pretty well hidden, leading to frustrating unexpected death.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Al Baron posted:

So do you need to buy IAP to get new classes period or is it just for the signature characters? No one seems to clarify on this distinction and it makes criticizing the IAP muddled.

From what I read, 20 progress-based unlockable classes and then 30+ IAP that you get at random.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
The new FF game is pretty shallow and mindless. Just swipe your finger and hope you kill the enemy before they kill you. No strategy whatsoever. Oh yeah, and all that freaking IAP.
Don't waste your money buying this dreck like I did. I should have gotten a sandwich instead.

EDIT: Sweet title change. Also, I really wish I had that sandwich now.

ZephroDyne fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 17, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ketheriel posted:

I've played FF All the Bravest for awhile and, like Evil Fluffy said, it's essentially a giant IAP sink for people too into the brand and who want to see their favorite characters rendered in sprite form. Pretty inexcusable for even a free game, but they charge for the app itself as well. Sucks. I was really excited about the concept, and had hoped it would be so awesome, my dick would rocket through my pants and off into the sun. Instead, it just fell into a puddle.

So how many levels does the base game come with as well? I'm trying to gauge how huge a bag of dicks SE needs to go eat.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Final Fantasy Air brigade is also terrible. It's like Blood brothers only somehow worse.

They recently stopped doing both, remember demon score? :v:
VVVV

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 17, 2013

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

I hate this trend SE is going with on the Final Fantasy games. Just make the goddamn game $9.99 completely unlocked and people will loving buy it. Instead, they want to gouge every single dollar they can by having half the game as IAP.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
:ducksiren: Cubed Rally Redline just went free

http://appshopper.com/games/cubed-rally-redline

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Is there a life is magic thread yet? Regardless, I'm in as a monk, name Xenochrist

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Temple Run 2 out in the US: http://bitly.com/TempleRun2

Haha jesus christ Temple Run 1 has over 170 million downloads... :aaaaa:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Temple Run 2 is super frustrating on an iphone 4. The pop-in is terrible and it always lags at the critical moment because it is loading the next section and doesn't register your swipes so you fall of the edge.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Riven is out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/riven-for-ipad/id536344854?mt=8

Gonna wait for some reviews because I heard the Myst port was terrible.

EDIT: Actually it looks like they patched RealMyst. Anyone own that?

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 17, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

dishwasherlove posted:

Riven is out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/riven-for-ipad/id536344854?mt=8

Gonna wait for some reviews because I heard the Myst port was terrible.

EDIT: Actually it looks like they patched RealMyst. Anyone own that?

RealMyst was pretty great for PC, and the only non-5 review I see is literally someone rating it one because they can't figure out a puzzle.

I'll take the dive for Riven and let you know how it runs on a Mini. I remember playing it on a Pentium 2 back in the day and having to wait 5m for transitions to load :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Xenochrist posted:

Is there a life is magic thread yet? Regardless, I'm in as a monk, name Xenochrist

There is now! The life is magic thread is now open.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528827

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 17, 2013

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
So no Beastie Bay, huh? Disappointing.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Duranki posted:

So no Beastie Bay, huh? Disappointing.

It's in full English out of the box so just make a JP account, with it being a free app you don't need to have JP payment details.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Fazana posted:

with it being a free app you don't need to have JP payment details.

You lied to me. You need JP payment info to even sign up for a JP account. Now I'm sad.

durty
Jan 28, 2009
Change to the Japanese store and try buy a free app then it should let you set up an account with none as the payment option

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

durty posted:

Change to the Japanese store and try buy a free app then it should let you set up an account with none as the payment option

How do you change to the Japanese store other than signing in to a Japanese account, then?

Edit: Apparently, trying and failing to set up a Japanese account automatically set me to the Japanese store.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 17, 2013

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Funkmaster General posted:

You lied to me. You need JP payment info to even sign up for a JP account. Now I'm sad.

Don't create a JP account until after you try to download the game. All you need to do is sign out of your real apple iD and then open an App Store session in Japan. When you download, create new apple ID. Then scroll way down to find Japan in the list (it's written in kanji so it's the choice with only two symbols) Select payment "none", fill out the fields as normal. I had to invent a fake Japanese address. I had no trouble with a completely bogus phone number and using 0407201 postal code for Fukushima prefecture. Make sure you use a different email address than your actual ID.

You just won't be able to buy the IAP for no ads, but it'll probably be out in the US store soon anyway.

Good luck.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Funkmaster General posted:

Sad and wrong, a terrible combination for this time in the morning :v:

Has anyone given Heroes and Castles a look? http://appshopper.com/games/heroes-and-castles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Reciprocator posted:

Don't create a JP account until after you try to download the game. All you need to do is sign out of your real apple iD and then open an App Store session in Japan. When you download, create new apple ID. Then scroll way down to find Japan in the list (it's written in kanji so it's the choice with only two symbols) Select payment "none", fill out the fields as normal. I had to invent a fake Japanese address. I had no trouble with a completely bogus phone number and using 0407201 postal code for Fukushima prefecture. Make sure you use a different email address than your actual ID.

You just won't be able to buy the IAP for no ads, but it'll probably be out in the US store soon anyway.

Good luck.

Yeah, I figured it all out. Thank you, though. Weird that they don't allow no payment info when setting up an account unless you try to download something free first. I could have sworn when I set up my US account I had no payment info, but then again that account got set up like seven years ago now.

edit: Well, it worked until the download finished and then the icon for the app disappeared entirely.

edit 2: Respring made it reappear. Thanks for the help, guys!

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jan 17, 2013

• Locked thread