Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sounds like a few people in this thread have never opened or closed an air vent in a Bentley. The levers have felt on the backside of the dash to give them a soft feel. THAT'S attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Motronic posted:

You seem awfully offended that people value different things that you do in vehicles.

It's more of the smugness that people seem to have when they say HA! THAT INTERIOR IS A PARTS BIN INTERIOR! I LIKE NICE THINGS AND PREFER MAHOGANY TRIM, THANKS. It's not that he's offended, it's more of the typical European dude saying "well my econobox is better than yours because mine has things in it that add nothing to the car except "looks"."

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Interiors are for scrubs :newlol:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Eh...I'm of the opinion that a nice interior is important when that is what you're going to be looking at the entire time you drive the car. Gauges, especially. The Corvette has always been built to a certain price point, though, and what you give up in interior refinement you get in performance. Parts-bin or not, GM interiors have been getting better across the board.

For Christ's sake: compared to the C5 interior you're practically being cradled in the lap of luxury. :v:

Does the center tach design remind anyone else of the Viper's tach?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Is that... a german with a shaved head, wearing FUBU, reviewing a brand new Porsche? That was weird.

Let me tell you, that guy is so German, it hurts.

It's like, how much more German could this guy be? And the answer is none. None more German.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

mulligan posted:

To be honest, Eurosnobs like you are the main reason I adore RWB, is just such an assault on the darling of elitist assholery, (air-cooled 911's) of the motoring that I can't help but to laugh whenever they say that someone desecrated their beloved cars or something.

A lot of people don't really know what RWB actually does, it's not just a wing, they work on suspension and tire performance too, they are rebel cars and I think they are unlike anything else out there and given the money I would have one in a heart beat.

When you claim his strawman, you created your own.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Obviously I do, as well as several other people posting here. And it's not about the parts coming from "pleb cars"; it's that the parts look and feel cheap. Not all "pleb cars" are like this. In fact, it's increasingly likely that foreign competitors in many of the economy classes are distinguishing their offerings by providing better interiors.

If you don't care about things like that it's absolutely fine. They make cars for people like you. In fact, we're discussing one of them now.

Trying to paint my bringing this up as some sort of superiority complex isn't necessary, accurate or appreciated.

Because some of us like a driving experience that is more than just power and handling. This concept is not unique in the auto industry and can be seen in all manner of vehicles from econoboxes (where interior trim/electronics package can be close to the only distinguishing factor in many segments), mid level luxury sedans all the way up to supercars. It's hardly a foreign concept.

When I was younger I could care less. Now I expect the things I interact with to be pleasing to me. I could give a gently caress what the outside looks like when I'm in the seat, but I do expect the interior to be gratifying to look at and the controls to be an engaging tactile experience.

Have you ever sat in something like a C Class AMG Merc? For someone who cares about that kind of thing it's mesmerizing to imagine what it would be like to drive something like that every day.

You seem awfully offended that people value different things that you do in vehicles.

I think you're misunderstanding me. My point is, as long as the parts are quality and the interior is well built (i.e. not a bunch of clip-together plastic and cheap floppy-yet-brittle switches that rattle and squeak and fall apart) who cares if they're used on other vehicles as well?

I'm not saying a good interior is stupid, just that it coming out of a parts bin/being used on other lesser vehicles as well doesn't necessarily make it bad interior.

e: here's some loving horrible car stuff
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/3546425555.html

Claims it has AC, the AC lines are clearly disconnected under the hood.
The snorkel is 100% cosmetic - see the cone filter/cold air intake in the last pic? :v:
stinger hoop on a stock bumper, will fold over the second it's used
bro-truck wheels
airbag removed
and just for good measure, a throttle body spacer on an EFI engine.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 15, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

Because some of us like a driving experience that is more than just power and handling.

Don't you work on Rovers?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

Here's some terrible car stuff:
Doesn't look too bad, right?

... I don't like where this is going...

oh god :gonk:

This... thing needs to be a Lemons pace car. It is just too perfect not to be :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

... I don't like where this is going...

If it was just this it would be sahweet

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Phy posted:

If it was just this it would be sahweet
For real. Get a more appropriate bed than the Ram one, finish the metal work on the cab and I'd say it's pretty dope!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tusen Takk posted:

I don't know about you, but if I can get that level of performance and exterior looks for $55,000 and have a rather crappy interior, or a car with inferior performance but a FABULOUS interior for $55,000, I will go with the first car every. Single. Time.

It's far from penny wise and pound foolish; they put the money from the interior into making the base-line trim level of the C7 a 450hp 26hwmpg MONSTER that actually looks like a supercar.

Here's the thing - not everyone is like you. If it were up to me, I'd buy the second car. I'm really excited about this Corvette, it's the first one that looks nice enough inside (which, don't forget, is what you'll spend most of your time looking at and touching) to consider buying at some point.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Out of curiosity I went looking for what RX7s go for in this country, and I found this... thing.

Lambo doors, awful bodykit...

..blacked out tail lights, fart cannon, sheet metal wing that seats three. BINGO!

:smith:

More gauges means it's faster, right?

:psyduck:

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Mazda_RX_7_UNIK_Singel_Turbo_44676713.htm?ca=11&w=3

And the punchline is they want €15k for it.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Jesus Christ.

As a DJ, I gotta say wtf. Why on earth would you have turntables (look like Stantons) in the back? Ok I get that you need a 2 channel mixer, so lets use babby's first battle mixer, but seriously. Then you paint over the platters with the same god awful paint scheme. Never mind that you cover the up the platters with a slip mat. At least I hope to god he uses a slip mat otherwise he will be chewing up every piece of vinyl he puts on it. Once again, what the christ. I cannot fathom this at all.

Plus that's gotta be uncomfortable as gently caress to mix on regularly. Especially since it is setup in battle formation, hinting that this person likes to scratch; if they even know how to spin at all.

</end DJ rant>

That's an unfortunate amount of money spent to achieve nothing.

I need a drink.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dude. It's awesome to see some criticism from the entirely other reason why that car is wrong. Post terrible DJ stuff in this thread.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying it copied the GP through the years. I'm saying it's yet another GM parts bin interior in both materials and design language. And that's just disappointing. How hard is to come up with something new and classy for the interior when you've done so much on the exterior?

Not in the budget I suppose. Penny wise pound foolish.

I'm honestly curious - what makes you think the materials are the same? Design language sure, and I for one really like the driver focused aspect of the design.

Jalopnik reports that "Now the Vette's interior been turned into a leather and carbon fiber sex chamber that would be familiar to someone who knows the Corvette but upgraded with interior materials not stolen from a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe. There's also the all digital gauge cluster, which allows the driver to select the desired information and a larger, integrated digital dash (with redundant controls, Thank God). The wheel insert is even in the shape of… a Stingray!"

Now I don't give two shits about the insert being in the shape of a stingray, but if the quality is there (nice leather, soft touch buttons, etc.) I'd have to disagree with the parts bin interior in terms of materials. I'm not one to honestly care too much past the point of everything being where it feels it should be (shifter just right, able to get the seat to a good position, enough room in the peddle box, etc) but that interior looks like quite a comfortable place to be. It's impossible to really tell without sitting in it though, so perhaps this point is best left until some reviews come out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Vette is great because it will lay smokey burnouts and some trim levels will run circles around everything on the road, so everyone says "but it has a Cobalt wheel :qq:"

The loving thing is cheap, and fast as all get out. Everything else is just irrelevant. If you have the money to buy a car with similar performance and can cross shop interior quality, fine....but at that point you're not really who the Vette is targeted at.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Solar Coaster posted:

Jesus Christ.

As a DJ, I gotta say wtf. Why on earth would you have turntables (look like Stantons) in the back? Ok I get that you need a 2 channel mixer, so lets use babby's first battle mixer, but seriously. Then you paint over the platters with the same god awful paint scheme. Never mind that you cover the up the platters with a slip mat. At least I hope to god he uses a slip mat otherwise he will be chewing up every piece of vinyl he puts on it. Once again, what the christ. I cannot fathom this at all.

Plus that's gotta be uncomfortable as gently caress to mix on regularly. Especially since it is setup in battle formation, hinting that this person likes to scratch; if they even know how to spin at all.

</end DJ rant>

Well there is that, and the fact the tables are inches away from the SUBS....might have a slight vibration issue?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Apologies for the meme text in the first image (it refers to Kent, WA, a "suburb" of Seattle that is very, very white trashy)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

kastein posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. My point is, as long as the parts are quality and the interior is well built (i.e. not a bunch of clip-together plastic and cheap floppy-yet-brittle switches that rattle and squeak and fall apart) who cares if they're used on other vehicles as well?

I'm not saying a good interior is stupid, just that it coming out of a parts bin/being used on other lesser vehicles as well doesn't necessarily make it bad interior.

The problem is that the parts often aren't quality and the interior often isn't well built. i.e. a bunch of clip-together plastic and cheap floppy-yet-brittle switches that rattle and squeak and fall apart. People buying at a low price point expect this crappiness, but people spending significantly more expect significantly better kit.

GM in particular went decades selling their fanciest vehicles (think big super-expensive Caddys) with switchgear that was rattly and floppy off the dealer lot, if it all worked in the first place; it was one thing when the brand name was enough to sell the car but it continued for far too long after the Japanese brands started eating their lunch. In GM's case it was often obviously so they could reuse the same cheap crap part between Caddy, Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac (i.e. the 'parts bin') but if they had used unique parts between brands and models that were still crap the complaints wouldn't have been meaningfully different (see: older Hyundais.) Compare this to, say, VW, who may put the same switches in a Golf, an A4 and a Boxter, but it's a nice switch to begin with so no one gripes all that much.

If I get in my car, I am at a minimum interacting with the door and handles, driver seat, the steering wheel, the pedals, the gearshifter, the turn signal stalks, and the dashboard indications. If these feel floppy, make inappropriate noise, look like rear end, don't work, are at strange unadjustable angles, etc it is going to sour my driving experience. If I'm in a $15k car that's part of the price of admission. In a $45k+ car, it's not. If your priority is that the car should be kept alive forever on junkyard parts, you're not the target audience for new car design regardless.

Kenshin posted:

Apologies for the meme text in the first image (it refers to Kent, WA, a "suburb" of Seattle that is very, very white trashy)

The whitewalls and the grille give away that this is an art car and the photographer has been successfully trolled

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wasted bodywork skills on regrettable Chryslers? I'm in!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Uh I'll take that (looks to be) late '30's/early 40's beaut there if you don't already have dibs :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Apparently someone was working on their car in the inside breakdown lane on I17 during evening rush hour. (Phoenix goons: I avoid the 17 like the plague, is there even an inside breakdown lane there?)

It got plowed into by a fullsize truck.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Wasted bodywork skills on regrettable Chryslers? I'm in!

Years and years ago once saw a Plymouth Acclaim that had been El Camino-ized (Rampaged?). I wish I could have gotten a picture because it was actually a pretty decent looking home-conversion.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Kenshin posted:

Video related:
http://youtu.be/6JOQbwVJjxY

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

The Vette is great because ..

The loving thing is cheap, and fast as all get out.

In my book the 'Vette is not nearly cheap enough. I don't know if we have firm pricing on the new model, but I suspect it has a base MSRP at least in the upper $50s. Unit sales of the Corvette have plummeted because it's just way overpriced for today's economy. I keep hoping GM will deliver a low-frills "bubba" Corvette priced in the $40s, which has been long-rumored since the C5 days, but it has never materialized.

Then again anything with a V8 is overpriced... Camaro SS and Mustang GTs with reasonable options are near 40k. It wasn't all that long ago (20-25 years) when you could get a Mustang LX 5.0 for $13,000 and pretty much dominate the street.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
You should see Craigslist now. People are trying to dump C4s for $15-20,000. It's hilarious.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Apparently someone was working on their car in the inside breakdown lane on I17 during evening rush hour. (Phoenix goons: I avoid the 17 like the plague, is there even an inside breakdown lane there?)

Also known as "how to be turned into ground beef instantly". :gonk:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Number_6 posted:

In my book the 'Vette is not nearly cheap enough. I don't know if we have firm pricing on the new model, but I suspect it has a base MSRP at least in the upper $50s. Unit sales of the Corvette have plummeted because it's just way overpriced for today's economy. I keep hoping GM will deliver a low-frills "bubba" Corvette priced in the $40s, which has been long-rumored since the C5 days, but it has never materialized.

Then again anything with a V8 is overpriced... Camaro SS and Mustang GTs with reasonable options are near 40k. It wasn't all that long ago (20-25 years) when you could get a Mustang LX 5.0 for $13,000 and pretty much dominate the street.

I really wish they would make stripper cars nowadays. As much as I love alcantara and teak with subtle hints of nappa leather, an absolutely gutted car with a big fat engine would be my dream car. So many times you need to pony up a lot of extra cash for a "package" to allow for a bigger engine, turbo, LSD, etc. Give me a Mustang, Vette, or Focus ST with every performance option, but put in the base cloth seats, no navi or automatic anything. Cheap speed is the best speed.

Also for content, I saw these two seperate G6's on the same day while I was on long island:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

I really wish they would make stripper cars nowadays. As much as I love alcantara and teak with subtle hints of nappa leather, an absolutely gutted car with a big fat engine would be my dream car. So many times you need to pony up a lot of extra cash for a "package" to allow for a bigger engine, turbo, LSD, etc. Give me a Mustang, Vette, or Focus ST with every performance option, but put in the base cloth seats, no navi or automatic anything. Cheap speed is the best speed.

Also for content, I saw these two seperate G6's on the same day while I was on long island:

How are those taillights legal, like at all?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

So was this car rear ended at 80+ and made half its size or is that only half of the car? It's really hard to tell. At least assuming it was broke down, there probably wasn't anyone inside of it. Good way to dispose of the dead hooker in the trunk though.

Ah, holy poo poo, I see the rear wheel now. Jesus, did the moron that rammed it survive?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Ah, holy poo poo, I see the rear wheel now. Jesus, did the moron that rammed it survive?

Not only survived (with a broken arm), but actually fled the scene.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

How are those taillights legal, like at all?

I'm gonna go with they aren't.

"Yeah let me paint my taillights so no one can see when I'm braking, but I better make sure not to obscure the reverse lights!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Even if it was some weird thing where you could see them when lit, they're not legal...no reflector.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Godholio posted:

Even if it was some weird thing where you could see them when lit, they're not legal...no reflector.

That might be why he left the reverse lights unpainted, so there's an exposed reflector. Not saying they're legal, just saying that might have been his logic in leaving them unpainted.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Most states require a reflector in red color. Seeing white reflect back at you is usually no good I would imagine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fermunky posted:

Most states require a reflector in red color. Seeing white reflect back at you is usually no good I would imagine.

That's a federal law.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Voltage posted:

Is that a g35 wing on the first one?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Can you reply with a quote of the article? I'm getting some "you can't read this because you don't pay" bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20130115driver-injured-after-broken-down-car-struck-abrk.html

try that. Original link was poo poo.