Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

What's the point this late? I can't imagine that will sell half as well as it needs to cover the costs of porting. I mean, great fanservice, but :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Artix74 posted:

It was posted in the Wii thread, but it might as well be posted here too, considering that the Wii U can play Wii games.

X-Seed is localizing Pandora's Tower for Spring 2013

Cool, that was the last EU exclusive that the US was waiting on, after Xenoblade, Pikmin 2, and Last Story.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

To those asking for more Yoshi's Island and less Super Mario Bros, this chart can help show what works and what doesn't, sales-wise. (sorry I could only find in french)

It's a travesty, but Yoshi's Island is their biggest flop, comparatively. I can't find it but I remember seeing a similar chart showing Majora's Mask as Zelda's biggest flop, and Wind Waker being pretty low as well.

Also, when you consider it's FAR cheaper to make these types of games than it is to create a whole new style (and even more expensive if that style is in 3D like the Galaxy titles)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

What's the point this late? I can't imagine that will sell half as well as it needs to cover the costs of porting. I mean, great fanservice, but :psyduck:

Isn't the game not that great either? I haven't played it but that was the impression I got on various websites.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Isn't the game not that great either? I haven't played it but that was the impression I got on various websites.

For what it's worth I liked it a lot. I spent 95% of my Wii playtime on the 3 big RPGs Last Story/Xenoblade Chronicles and Pandoras Tower. So I might not be the best judge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Minidust posted:

I really want them to exploit my nostalgia and make "Super Mario Bros. 4" for Wii Ware (Wii U Ware?). 8-bit graphics and everything. I will pay money. Call it something else in Japan.
Sega tried that with Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and it didn't really work out well.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Benly posted:

The Gold Flower is fun but temporary powerups aren't really the same, and while it's fun to rampage around in your unstoppable MAMMON MODE it's ultimately just "fireballs that explode and break bricks" instead of any new interesting mechanics.

You can suicide yourself with the gold flower.

Or make some paths available only with it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Quest For Glory II posted:

That one had updated graphics and was released in "episodes" for some reason. I'm thinking of something more along the lines of Mega Man 9 (haven't played it myself, but I respect what it was doing).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bilperkins2 posted:

It's a travesty, but Yoshi's Island is their biggest flop, comparatively.
To be fair, even the 'flops' of the Mario series do numbers that many publishers would envy for their 'flops'.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Benly posted:

Super Mario Land and Yoshi's Island weren't part of the "Super Mario Brothers" series.

The full title is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so yes, it's part of the series.

Quest For Glory II posted:

But Sega didn't, those games where made by Dimps. Though I'm not saying Sega would get it right either, but Sega did make Generations so it could have been better under Sega's hand.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Chaltab posted:

To be fair, even the 'flops' of the Mario series do numbers that many publishers would envy for their 'flops'.

Yeah but if you're Nintendo and you can make NSMB for a small amount of money and sell a gajillion, or take a risk, put more thought into art style, control, mechanic, etc, which would cost more, and end up selling less, which would you go for?

Definitely their flops are envious elsewhere but the opportunity cost is what they would look at, not that they sold a lot but that they could have sold more.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bilperkins2 posted:

Yeah but if you're Nintendo and you can make NSMB for a small amount of money and sell a gajillion, or take a risk, put more thought into art style, control, mechanic, etc, which would cost more, and end up selling less, which would you go for?

Absolutely, but at the same time, in spite of the impression many people seem to have, Nintendo's not running the NSMB series into the ground any more than quick release schedule of Super Mario Land, SMB3, and SMW were in decades past. It makes sense for them to put out the evergreen title at the start of the Wii U lineup while they work to make a great new 3D title.

(Incidentally, the French chart up there is out of date. Galaxy 1 did eventually pass the 10 million mark and Galaxy 2 was around six million last I heard.)

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

Chaltab posted:

(Incidentally, the French chart up there is out of date. Galaxy 1 did eventually pass the 10 million mark and Galaxy 2 was around six million last I heard.)

Yeah it's an old chart. All the more recent ones I could find didn't have Yoshi's Island on them and I needed it to make my point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Folt The Bolt posted:

Gonna have to disagree on bad level design. Not exactly up to the usual Mario standard, but not bad. Also, Boohemoth and Gold Flower disproves no new enemies and no new power ups. Agreed with the rest of your post though.

Was already touched on but the gold flower is just a fire flower that kills everything for a stage and nets you money. It's nothing new or exciting really, and Boohemoth is just a autoscroll wall with a funny face

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Are they actually relocalizing Pandora's Tower or just releasing the EU version? What did they do with Last Story?

It's not a bad game at all, it's quite fun. Not the most amazing thing but worth playing in my opinion.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was already touched on but the gold flower is just a fire flower that kills everything for a stage and nets you money. It's nothing new or exciting really, and Boohemoth is just a autoscroll wall with a funny face

You said they included no new enemies or power ups. I gave you evidence to the contrary. They put a spin on old ideas, but they are still new and bring different challenges to the game like any new thing should do, and in the Gold Flower's case, is consistent with NSMB2's theme of "coin collecting".

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Sire Oblivion posted:

The full title is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, so yes, it's part of the series.

This feels a little dishonest. I mean, let's glance at the boxes. What stands out immediately, and what is more of a brand recognition tie-in? The sequel entirely dropped the tie-in name. The Japanese name was just Super Mario: Yoshi's Island, but again, everybody just refers to it as Yoshi's Island. It's more like the first title in another series that also includes Yoshi Story. That Wii U admin page slipup from a while back, and a Canadian retailer's slipup, do seem to suggest a new Yoshi game is coming, as an aside.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Yoshi's Island felt like the start of a subseries (that became somewhat of a subfranchise) to me, kinda like Donkey Kong Country and the Wario games.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nintendo often has no idea what they are doing and just does it anyway... case in point:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zenintrude posted:

Nintendo often has no idea what they are doing and just does it anyway... case in point:

I wish they would remake Wario Land and Mario Land 2 and put them in the Wii U online shop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's been a long time since Mario and Wario have actually crossed paths.(not counting party/sports/smash games)

I'd love a Mario Bros vs Wario Bros platformer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

greatn posted:

It's been a long time since Mario and Wario have actually crossed paths.(not counting party/sports/smash games)

I'd love a Mario Bros vs Wario Bros platformer.

I'm pretty certain Waluigi has still never had a role outside of a sports title.

I'd love if the next Mario game had Wario/Waluigi as the bad guys. But if my secret wishes caused Nintendo to include only the characters I wanted, Baby Bowser would have been gone years ago.

edit: Wario Land is awesome because you had to pay off a genie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

This feels a little dishonest. I mean, let's glance at the boxes. What stands out immediately, and what is more of a brand recognition tie-in? The sequel entirely dropped the tie-in name. The Japanese name was just Super Mario: Yoshi's Island, but again, everybody just refers to it as Yoshi's Island.

It did become the beginning of it's own sub-series, but it's still part of the 2D Mario platformers. You could argue the same thing with the Zelda series, no one refers to the "Legend of Zelda" part of any game's title outside of the first game, and the second game didn't even have "Legend of" but it's still part of the 2D Zeldas.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The Last Story is the most successful game they've ever released, and the localisation for Pandora's Tower is already done, so it probably seems like an obvious choice.

I definitely don't think it's as interesting as the other two games but it's not terrible or anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

XSeed specializes in localizing smaller, obscure games. Pandora's Tower is already in their wheelhouse and it's already been marketed for them. Why not release it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Low risk, high reward. They'll earn a little mint on it for not a lot of work.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

XSEED has a history of localizing games that have already been localized, if Pandora's Tower already has a 100% ready to go English translation then hell why not?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Artix74 posted:

It was posted in the Wii thread, but it might as well be posted here too, considering that the Wii U can play Wii games.

X-Seed is localizing Pandora's Tower for Spring 2013

I accidentally clicked that link and ended up on Kotaku. That's bad.

But at least Pandora's Tower is coming to the US. That's good.

I already own Xenoblade and Last Story, so Pandora's Tower will just balance things all out.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Personal opinion, this Mario game was phoned in. I liked it, we 100%'ed it, etc.

It seemed so copied from the Wii version in terms of power ups and stuff - I would have liked to see more....thought put into it. I have to give credit to the world map though - its really well done and fun to navigate.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz

I'm sure it'd be completely broken but I'd like to see a Super Super Mario game where every power-up from every game was available. Capes, Raccoons, Frog Suits, everything ever. It'd definitely make it interesting at the least.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bring back the bunny ears at the very least.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It did become the beginning of it's own sub-series, but it's still part of the 2D Mario platformers. You could argue the same thing with the Zelda series, no one refers to the "Legend of Zelda" part of any game's title outside of the first game, and the second game didn't even have "Legend of" but it's still part of the 2D Zeldas.

It's a 2D Mario game, but it's not a "Super Mario Brothers" game. The four games I listed had Super Mario Brothers in their Japanese titles, none of the others did. So I think it's fair to say that the "New Super Mario Brothers" series is a deliberate sequel to the games that had that title specifically.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm sure it'd be completely broken but I'd like to see a Super Super Mario game where every power-up from every game was available. Capes, Raccoons, Frog Suits, everything ever. It'd definitely make it interesting at the least.

That would own, but it would probably not happen.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Lets settle this once and for all.

Miyamoto posted:

When we first made Yoshi's Island, we considered it part of the Mario series. After that, the Yoshi series continued on its own. As developers, do we consider it to be part of the core Mario series? The answer is yes.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I wish they would remake Wario Land and Mario Land 2 and put them in the Wii U online shop.

FWIW they're both on the 3DS Virtual Console and for the most part have aged pretty well.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Now that Nintendo have come out and said they're making VC available for WiiU and playable on the Gamepad (at some point in the future), I wonder what the odds are that they'll allow all the VC games purchased on the Wii to come across. They'd better, or I'll... (insert impotent rage)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'd feel better about it if they fix their digital rights issue with the stuff you bought. Having it locked to the system is really not optimal.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

iajanus posted:

Now that Nintendo have come out and said they're making VC available for WiiU and playable on the Gamepad (at some point in the future), I wonder what the odds are that they'll allow all the VC games purchased on the Wii to come across. They'd better, or I'll... (insert impotent rage)

Considering they put all that effort into the migration app to get everything from Wii to Wii U, I'm putting money down on them working on a way to migrate things from Wii Mode to Wii U. I just don't anticpate the move being as smooth as Sony's crossbuy and stuff.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Nintendo is merging their hardware divisions for handhelds and consoles.

quote:

Nintendo plans to merge its handheld and console gaming units into one division to create next generation hardware "that will turn heads," according to Nikkei. It's reporting that the gaming outfit is feeling the heat from tablet and smartphone gaming (and likely upstart outfits like Ouya, too) so is looking to speed up the development cycle and increase product interoperability. That's why it's allegedly bringing the brain power from all its divisions together to inaugurate the unified division by February 16th of this year -- transferring in 130 console and 150 handheld engineers, to start. Nikkei said it'll house the new team in a $340 million facility next to its Kyoto HQ that'll be completed by the end of the year, seeing it as "a hotbed of new ideas." All this comes on the heels of tepid launches of the Wii U console and Nintendo 3DS gamepad -- making a shakeup none too shocking, if true.

Update: We contacted Nintendo, who confirmed by email that the report is, indeed, accurate.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/16/nikkei-nintendo-to-launch-unified-console-handheld/

Sidenote: Pretty stupid that they're seemingly using the Wii launch as the standard of a decent launch, making the Wii U launch "tepid". Oh yeah, and this "comes on the heels" of the 3DS launch, almost two years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Sidenote: Pretty stupid that they're seemingly using the Wii launch as the standard of a decent launch, making the Wii U launch "tepid".

People have quickly forgotten that the Wii's success was the definition of catching lightning in a bottle. If the WiiU's numbers are tepid I shudder to think what they'll call the numbers of Microsoft's and Sony's new-oh wait, they're not Nintendo. No doom and gloom.

• Locked thread