Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Toffile posted:

ESPN sat on the story for reasons unknown.

Link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Toffile posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's not at all unknown why ESPN would make a mockery of journalistic integrity in order to play up a huge emotional story for a Notre Dame football player.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Give me a second, I read it in the TFF thread.

edit this post

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 17, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Toffile posted:

"reasons unknown"

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

also assuming you believe that they sat on the story in the first place

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

stuart scott irl posted:

also assuming you believe that they sat on the story in the first place

I think they've confirmed that they sat on it and are saying it was because they didn't have it sourced cold enough to publish and couldn't confirm enough details in the absence of that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

jeffersonlives posted:

I think they've confirmed that they sat on it and are saying it was because they didn't have it sourced cold enough to publish and couldn't confirm enough details in the absence of that.

Didn't they sit on the Bernie Fine thing for the same reasons and then go ahead and publish it all anyway because the Sandusky scandal broke out?

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

jeffersonlives posted:

I know I have a record for sticking up for Deadspin, but this is a pretty common reply to any scoop. You sound like you had the resources to break the same story and would have, if the other people hadn't gone forward and scooped you "recklessly." Nobody's really going to challenge your almost-piece, so you get to seem like you were on the same track and pursuing the same stories but only lost out because of greater probity, respectability and caution, whereas the other guy fired away and lucked out with being not-wrong. This is a vibe replicated all over politics, too, so it's not like ESPN would be pioneering it here.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah I was implying that their "confirmation" is bullshit also but who knows

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I recognize that ESPN could be lying, yet it would seem kind of weird to me for ESPN to put themselves in a situation where they "knew" before the NCG and didn't just not mention anything but kept pushing the Te'o as inspiration storyline, though. If they were fabricating it would have made more sense for them to "learn" about it late last week.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Holy Diverticulitis posted:

I know I have a record for sticking up for Deadspin, but this is a pretty common reply to any scoop. You sound like you had the resources to break the same story and would have, if the other people hadn't gone forward and scooped you "recklessly." Nobody's really going to challenge your almost-piece, so you get to seem like you were on the same track and pursuing the same stories but only lost out because of greater probity, respectability and caution, whereas the other guy fired away and lucked out with being not-wrong. This is a vibe replicated all over politics, too, so it's not like ESPN would be pioneering it here.

I believe this. I heard one of the authors of the Deadspin piece being interviewed today, and he said ESPN hadn't called any of the sources Deadspin used.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Speaking of Deadspin, maybe it's just me but I found this pretty entertaining.

EDIT: It's a long article about how footage three different MLB games over a 1+ year span were spliced together to fit the script of a TV show in a way that you wouldn't have noticed unless you were watching closely.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 19, 2013

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Deadspin, maybe it's just me but I found this pretty entertaining.

No, that is actually incredibly entertaining, and I love that they actually went through the process of interviewing folks involved with the show to figure out how it came to be what it was.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
That's one of the two "please subscribe to us please please" articles BPro was pushing this morning...

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In general, most of SB Nation's team blogs aren't too bad, and even the weakest ones are just forgettable at worst. But every so often, someone squeezes out a turd that wouldn't hack it at B/R. I bet you couldn't even guess what team it's about!

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/1/20/3898408/ravens-vs-patriots-what-we-learned-from-the-afc-championship-game

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
A while back I asked about good sports podcasts and came away with Hang up and Listen as well as Sklarbro Country. Both have been fantastic additions to my podcast rotation, so belated thanks to the goons who threw those out to me.

My next request, after reading that terrific piece Posnanski wrote on Musial I want to find consistent places for good sports writing. Neither Grantland nor Deadspin are all that good (occasionally great pieces). None of the national sports sites like CBS, Fox, ESPN, etc. offer anything worth looking at other than stats, standings or news. So I'm curious, goons, what are your favourite places to find well written, engaging stories centered around the world of sports?

Articles are usually posted in this thread but there doesn't appear to be an archive or list of the best sports sites out there. Perhaps if we make such a list, we can add it to the OP.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ratedargh posted:

A while back I asked about good sports podcasts and came away with Hang up and Listen as well as Sklarbro Country. Both have been fantastic additions to my podcast rotation, so belated thanks to the goons who threw those out to me.

My next request, after reading that terrific piece Posnanski wrote on Musial I want to find consistent places for good sports writing. Neither Grantland nor Deadspin are all that good (occasionally great pieces). None of the national sports sites like CBS, Fox, ESPN, etc. offer anything worth looking at other than stats, standings or news. So I'm curious, goons, what are your favourite places to find well written, engaging stories centered around the world of sports?

Articles are usually posted in this thread but there doesn't appear to be an archive or list of the best sports sites out there. Perhaps if we make such a list, we can add it to the OP.

Honestly, there aren't many sites I check regularly. It's easier to just let the Twitter hive mind filter all of sports journalism and read the cream that floats to the top.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Classical is pretty hit-or-miss, but there's some really interesting stuff there. I recommend their "Why We Watch" series on NBA players. I'm also somewhat surprised to see that (as far as I can tell) no one has posted the article where a guy tracked down SAS's favorite sketchy twitter rumor monger Incarcerated Bob.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

morestuff posted:

Honestly, there aren't many sites I check regularly. It's easier to just let the Twitter hive mind filter all of sports journalism and read the cream that floats to the top.

That's probably a good call. Any top suggestions on who to follow in case I don't already?

Also I'll check out The Classical and that Why We Watch series.

Thanks fellas.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ratedargh posted:

That's probably a good call. Any top suggestions on who to follow in case I don't already?

Thanks fellas.

What sports do you follow?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ratedargh posted:

Thanks fellas.

I would check out Longreads. It's not purely sports related but there tends to be a fair amount of sports stuff.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

morestuff posted:

What sports do you follow?

Baseball, hockey, football primarily. I've been getting into basketball more. I watch tennis whenever I can and I tend to follow golf because my dad plays and watches constantly. I'll read about any sport though, as long as it's well written. There was a piece on horse racing a while back that was really good but I can't recall the details at the moment. I think it was by Buzz Bissinger who, despite his attitudes at times, is a fairly adept writer.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Ratedargh posted:

Sports On Earth has Posnanski and Jon Bernhardt and maybe some other good writers besides.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mornacale posted:

Sports On Earth has Posnanski and Jon Bernhardt and maybe some other good writers besides.

Mike Tanier is generally pretty fun to read too I'd say (another Sports on Earth guy). I mean he says stuff that I think is dumb from time to time but as far as I can tell it's impossible to talk about football without doing so.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It also has Patrick Hruby who is fast becoming my favorite "serious sports issues" writer.

e: It also has Will Leitch just kind of rambling about mostly nothing, but hey it's still Will Leitch and that's cool.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 28, 2013

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Sweet, I'm hankering for some good sports reading since it's hard to watch live sports in Beijing. Reading about it will sate by needs for the time being.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Found this interesting piece over how Boston sports media is stale. It's probably a good indicator for sports media in general these days:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/2013/01/boston-sportswriters-awful/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Noted Seattle Times hack Steve Kelley, who wrote hits such as how Ichiro needs to hustle more, is retiring. He did list his top 30 moments in sports history (mostly Seattle-related), but his number 1 was surprising:

http://seattletimes.com/html/stevekelley/2020223437_kelley27.html

I guess being in person for that would be pretty cool.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm hoping this is the correct thread: Does ESPN's Sports Center post its Top 10 regularly anywhere online?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

They occasionally post them on Youtube, but not regularly by any means. Unless you can find someone who records and uploads them, I think you're out of luck.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Has anyone posted the most recent Rick Reilly piece, wherein he presumes to judge for Colin Kaepernick in the most asinine and presumptuous manner possible?

Reilly's been on my shitlist for a long, long time, but this is a new pinnacle. Why should anyone, let alone a guy who claims to be a journalist, give a flying gently caress what Colin Kaepernick does with this aspect of his personal life?

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 2, 2013

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

The Prisoner posted:

Has anyone posted the most recent Rick Reilly piece, wherein he presumes to judge for Colin Kaepernick in the most asinine and presumptuous manner possible?

Reilly's been on my shitlist for a long, long time, but this is a new pinnacle. Why should anyone, let alone a guy who claims to be a journalist, give a flying gently caress what Colin Kaepernick does with this aspect of his personal life?

It's almost as though Reilly's of the belief that his douche quotient is slipping, and he needs to make some big moves to prop that back up. Lord, I hate him so. What a retched article.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is a great article about the potential of Smush Parker to cause a chain reaction to preventing the collapse of a Greek commercial titan:

quote:

We were not only playing for the possibility of a paycheck, but to prevent the collapse of a nation's economy—and possibly that of much of Europe—by rescuing a government-backed, shadow-funded, international Greek yogurt company.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Prisoner posted:

Reilly's the worst. I rag on Peter King for being a puffed-up sellout who couldn't find the point of a story if it struck him in the face, but on his worst day he's still better than Rick Reilly.

Reilly truly exemplifies the worst of his profession. Unearned smugness? Check. Fetid jokes? Check. Priggishness masquerading as moral righteousness? Check.

And yet he is buried under tons of accolades and mountains of cash. It'll drive you insane if you think too much about it.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Reilly predicted the Super Bowl to end 35-34 in OT today, btw (ESPN backtracked it after the fact to be 35-34 in regulation).

To do that, both teams need to get 32 points in regulation, which is no simple task. The three easiest ways:

4 TDs with 4 successful 2PCs
3 TDs with 2 successful PATs + 4 FG
4 TDS with 3 successful PATs + 1 FG + 1 safety

Then in overtime, Team A needs to score a FG on the first possession, Team B needs to drive to Team A's goal line, and then Team B has to turn the ball over to Team A then tackle Team A's recovering player in his own endzone for a safety, at which point Team B still loses the game.

That is how you get a 35-34 score in overtime.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On the subject of people worth disliking, Jeff Pearlman hates super bowl parties.

Insert your own jokes here.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

Grittybeard posted:

On the subject of people worth disliking, Jeff Pearlman hates super bowl parties.

I guess that's one way to justify not being invited to anyone's Superbowl party. Probably for the best, he'd just end up insulting some girl that just ran her first 5k or something.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

All you need to know about the article:

Old Man Pearlman posted:

Back when I was a kid....Super Bowl watching was simple....But nowadays

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Crion posted:

Reilly predicted the Super Bowl to end 35-34 in OT today, btw (ESPN backtracked it after the fact to be 35-34 in regulation).

To do that, both teams need to get 32 points in regulation, which is no simple task. The three easiest ways:

4 TDs with 4 successful 2PCs
3 TDs with 2 successful PATs + 4 FG
4 TDS with 3 successful PATs + 1 FG + 1 safety

Then in overtime, Team A needs to score a FG on the first possession, Team B needs to drive to Team A's goal line, and then Team B has to turn the ball over to Team A then tackle Team A's recovering player in his own endzone for a safety, at which point Team B still loses the game.

That is how you get a 35-34 score in overtime.
This would actually be brilliant if it was a conscious commentary on the absurdity of every pundit scrambling to out-predict the prior guy in terms of prediction cleverness. Unfortunately, there is no way Reilly is either that smart or that attuned, so instead that's just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I'm trying to watch the Super Bowl! If people don't support this thing, it might not make it.