Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I don't mind someone else taking over leadership of a war. I do mind it happening 5-6 times in the same war. When I declare war, it should say "Country A is allied with Countries B, C, D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership of the war." And that's it. The buck stops there. B can call in his allies, but none of those will take over leadership and call in their allies. I should be able to tell with reasonable certainty just who I end up fighting when I declare war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Changing warscore could probably stop OPMs from surrendering when their capital is occupied with an allied 20k stack sieging it.
But didn't one of the EU3 expansions mostly fix cascading alliances, like the war leader only switches once?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I suspect those alliance chains will be substituted by the coalition system they have made vague mentions of, and that might debut in some form for March of the Eagles.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

A Violence Gang posted:

I wouldn't mind if the second-level allies could be called but only fight in defense of their actual allies' territory so they can't get improbably roped into the initial aggression. But that raises some questions about how strictly you define that (must the fighting take place within the ally's borders?) and might be too nuanced for the AI to handle.

And even if that did work perfectly, it'd still make it impossible to conquer an OPM if France is a friend of a friend.

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't mind someone else taking over leadership of a war. I do mind it happening 5-6 times in the same war. When I declare war, it should say "Country A is allied with Countries B, C, D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership of the war." And that's it. The buck stops there. B can call in his allies, but none of those will take over leadership and call in their allies. I should be able to tell with reasonable certainty just who I end up fighting when I declare war.

I'd prefer "Country A is allied with Countries B, C and D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership, but will only be able to call in allies of Country A."

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, one level of alliance cascading is fine, I just hate seeing wars go OPM->TPM->Medium Power->France. Add a second level if you declare war on a vassal because a vassal calling their master shouldn't count as the one cascade, hold off assigning new warleaders until everyone the initial nation sends a call to arms to responds so you don't get Naples grabbing up the one cascade while the UK has yet to agree to enter the war, and you're done.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

A Violence Gang posted:

I wouldn't mind if the second-level allies could be called but only fight in defense of their actual allies' territory so they can't get improbably roped into the initial aggression. But that raises some questions about how strictly you define that (must the fighting take place within the ally's borders?) and might be too nuanced for the AI to handle.
Define an alliance pool the moment hostilities break out as being all those nations allied to the primary belligerents. If one of those allies assumes control of the war, they can only call in allies that are in the original alliance pool?

Example: Salzburg is allied to Baden, and to Bavaria, which is allied to Austria. Palatinate goes to war with Salzburg, which calls in Bavaria. Bavaria cannot call Austria, since they are not allied to Salzburg. Bavaria can call Baden, even though Bavaria isn't allied to Baden, because Baden is allied to Salzburg.

Either that or just scrap the war leader thing entirely.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Friend Commuter posted:

I'd prefer "Country A is allied with Countries B, C and D. If B joins the war, they will take over leadership, but will only be able to call in allies of Country A."

Makes guarantees and vassals a gigantic liability, if someone can declare on them and you can't pull in your allies. Then you either let the vassal die, or you fight a losing war. Neither are good options and if the war leader function has one purpose, it's to let larger countries protect their vassals and guarantees with all they have. If you can't do that, you might as well scrap both those systems as any competent player will just use them to pull you into a war you can't win.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The real problem with Alliance cascading in wars is that the concept of 'leadership' is really a stopgap to make do for the lack of a mechanism for real peace negotiations both between and within alliances. An Alliance leader doesn't really suffer for screwing over his partners' war aims. There isn't really a reason for the UK to do the historical thing and trade back overseas conquests to preserve map lines in Europe. There's no way for the lesser Coalition partners (who might collectively be powerful enough to win) to say 'hey we want to keep fighting'. There's no way for someone getting screwed over by the deal to say 'I'll keep fighting alone then'.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Friend Commuter posted:

And even if that did work perfectly, it'd still make it impossible to conquer an OPM if France is a friend of a friend.
I was thinking like: You go to war with an OPM. OPM calls in their ally, Holland, who becomes a full-fledged belligerent -- defends the OPM, fights your armies wherever, even launching counterattacks on your soil. Holland can then call in their ally, France, who is not allied with the OPM. In that case, France can only serve to defend against attacks you make on Holland; their interest is limited to preventing you from overrunning Holland. So France could be a problem, but they might not directly stand in the way of your original aims against the OPM because they don't really give a poo poo.

Now how you define "defense of Holland" is tricky -- only battles within Dutch territory? Or can French armies join any battle Holland is participating in, wherever that happens? With a simple rule there's still lots of potential for undesirably dumb behavior. I'm envisioning lots of pingponging as the status of whether France is eligible to join a particular battle flips back and forth, and if the AI is unable to determine that before a battle between you and Holland begins, taking travel time into account, their help would likely be even more useless than it already is. So I doubt this could ever get implemented in a good way, but the general idea of more clearly defined, rational limits on the extent of each nation's participation might be worth some thought.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't know why this is a complex issues.

You call in all your allies, and that's where it ends. They don't get to call theirs in too.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Riso posted:

I don't know why this is a complex issues.

You call in all your allies, and that's where it ends. They don't get to call theirs in too.

It's a complex issue because what happens when your OPM ally calls you in against France and all of a sudden you can't call on your other 6 allies that give you a fighting chance against the blue blob.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's a good moment to reconsider upholding your alliance.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Or when a great power is protecting a nation of great importance to it (Castile is protecting Navarre lets say against the French) and because the Navarre gets overrun quickly, even if Castile is doing well on another front and wants to fight on, Navarre surrenders and Castile has no ability to fight on.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Riso posted:

That's a good moment to reconsider upholding your alliance.

And if they're your vassal? Who only have one ally, which would be you?

There's a whole bunch of systems(Vassals, Guarantees, Expand Influence) that all rely on a larger nation being able to defend a much smaller nation on equal footing with a potential aggressor. Removing the ability for a larger nation to take leadership of the war means you have to change a whole bunch of other systems to account for that. It's not as easy as going "No cascades whatsoever. Done. Time for coffee".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Have the mechanic that you can't attack the vassal directly, but have to go through the master first and demand the province in the peace deal.

Master can call his allies. Problem solved.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Riso posted:

Have the mechanic that you can't attack the vassal directly, but have to go through the master first and demand the province in the peace deal.

And now when France wants to munch your OPM they go to war with you directly and you lose the option to just let your vassal be eaten while you bide your time.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Why, because you can't just peace out?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Declaring on vassals already triggers a defensive call to arms for the liege's allies anyway. Its the same as attacking them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Riso posted:

Which is a new take on the vassal system, with its own pros and cons. Now do the same for guarantees and warnings. Hint, the same system won't work there. Vassals are easy because they're almost part of the masters holdings, but guarantees and warnings are an entirely different beast. Taking over leadership of the war works for all three, your solution does not. If they come up with a coalition solution that works, I'll be happier than a dog in poo poo, but they haven't referred to it yet and it seems like the sort of thing they'd shout from the hills.

Personally, so long as they cap the cascading, I'd be fine with it. Primarily from a gameplay standpoint. I don't see any easy solutions to keeping all the systems that rely on the war leader mechanic working well, and I'd much rather have those and a single tier of alliance cascading, compared to neutering related systems and removing alliance cascading.

run DNC posted:

Declaring on vassals already triggers a defensive call to arms for the liege's allies anyway. Its the same as attacking them.

Because they're automatically set as war leader when they're called in.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Cynic Jester posted:

Because they're automatically set as war leader when they're called in.

Im not sure that that is true. I think it triggers the liege lords guarantees and sphere of influence based allies too, which doesn't happen when switching war leader otherwise.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Is there anyway to stop the wokou pirate raids when you are playing Korea, or do I just have to take those annoying pop-ups forever ?

e: Pirate rates are going up

skipThings fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 17, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wiz you've been at paradox for like a whole week now. Why aren't there any cheesy youtube clips of you talking about Rome 2 in front of a wallpaper bookshelf :colbert:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

V for Vegas posted:

Wiz you've been at paradox for like a whole week now. Why aren't there any cheesy youtube clips of you talking about Rome 2 in front of a wallpaper bookshelf :colbert:

He's already been assigned to HOI4. :negative:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fintilgin posted:

He's already been assigned to HOI4. :negative:

Over 200,000 provinces!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cantorsdust posted:

Over 200,000 provinces!

Determine kit and loadout for each individual soldier in your entire army. Reload their guns manually during combat or assign it to an automated AI assistant.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Fintilgin posted:

Determine kit and loadout for each individual soldier in your entire army. Reload their guns manually during combat or assign it to an automated AI assistant.

Track their individual thirst and hunger levels!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fintilgin posted:

The AI proceeds to forget to tell all your soldiers on the Eastern Front to reload and your forces are immediately routed.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Look, I know how you guys feel about keeping the pee breaks on automated, but if you have your soldiers stay past the bladder threshold for a few minutes, you'll notice a slight performance boost during combat!

(for the record I do like HoI3, I just find it.... overwhelming for lack of a better term)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

enigma74 posted:

PVT T. Hofman is starving!
PVT G. Shulz is starving!
PVT R. Schneider is hungry!
PVT C. Müller is hungry!
PVT F. Herrmann has starved to death!

CLICK HERE TO DELIVER SAUERKRAUT TO 5TH COMPANY
:effort:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

PVT T. Hofman is starving!
PVT G. Shulz is starving!
PVT R. Schneider is hungry!
PVT C. Müller is hungry!
PVT F. Herrmann has starved to death!

CLICK HERE TO DELIVER SAUERKRAUT TO 5TH COMPANY
:effort:

I would play this game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baloogan posted:

I would play this game.

Just buy the Sims and download a mod that adds nazi uniforms!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

I would play this game.

KITCHEN COMMANDO: UNSUNG HEROES OF WWII

Kickstarting this now

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Guide your troops through their trenches. Dig latrines. Open MFRs. Clean guns. Hold your guts in. Accessorize with gas masks and bayonets. Experience war as you've done before, in Sims: Trench warfare.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deploy gas in own trench, remove exits from trench.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

So basically this, the PC game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was thinking more Dwarf Fortress, for unprecedented levels of excruciating detail. It would be the first Paradox game to run slower than real time, too.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

So basically this, the PC game.

Wasn't this the game that had an optional (probably tongue in cheek) rule to account for Italians needing increased water supplies for boiling pasta?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
I'm so sick and tired of you guys badmouthing HOI4! You don't have to set troop breathing to automated to play; you just have to pause every other second to go through the chain of command and remind them to breath in new oxygen and exhale CO2. Personally I find it the immerse challenge rather fun. :colbert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cowcatcher posted:

As a person from the Balkans, I feel my worldview was shattered by your snappy reply. You have shown me the error of my nationalistic ways. I will strive to be like you in every regard.

Do you like clay? When you see clay, do you have a sudden impulse to kill those of other ethnicities in order to obtain it?

HOI4 will include automation-optional atomic interactions, including manual magnetism!

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gorgo Primus posted:

I'm so sick and tired of you guys badmouthing HOI4! You don't have to set troop breathing to automated to play; you just have to pause every other second to go through the chain of command and remind them to breath in new oxygen and exhale CO2. Personally I find it the immerse challenge rather fun. :colbert:

The nice thing is, the more enemy soldiers you kill the less processor cycles that need to be dedicated to their breathing, and the faster the game runs! I'm finding my late game speeds in HOI4 are significantly faster then the early years, which is the exact opposite of my experience with most Paradox titles.

• Locked thread