Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!

Samfucius posted:

Hey, so I just had a wonderful board game night with some buddies, and I realized I want to do this kind of thing more often. I looked at BoardGameGeek as per the OP, and didn't find the regional forums mentioned (probably because I am an idiot). Basically I am looking for either a local board game community or some goons who want someone to play with. I am in the Eugene, OR area. Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Even just pointing me towards the regional forums on BGG that I seem to have missed would be a nice start.

Edit: just found the Gamers Seeking Gamers thread. I am an idiot, I will leave this here as a testament to my shame.

I think https://www.meetup.com is a good place to go. I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PikaPuff posted:

I think https://www.meetup.com is a good place to go. I think?
It's where I found my group in London (UK) and I've been gaming with them for a year solid, so yeah, it can be a good place to find a board game group.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Tekopo posted:

I played Dungeon Lords: Festival Season with three other people that had already played Dungeon Lords before. Man, the extras make the game even more awesome. Pets are awesome, the new orders are awesome, the new season is awesome, the new monsters are awesome and bards are really, really annoying, but I guess also awesome!

So it is everything I'm hoping/dreading it to be. Are there any "unbalanced" pets? I only saw a few online and their effects seem to vary a lot. Any new traps?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Samfucius posted:

Hey, so I just had a wonderful board game night with some buddies, and I realized I want to do this kind of thing more often. I looked at BoardGameGeek as per the OP, and didn't find the regional forums mentioned (probably because I am an idiot). Basically I am looking for either a local board game community or some goons who want someone to play with. I am in the Eugene, OR area. Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Even just pointing me towards the regional forums on BGG that I seem to have missed would be a nice start.

Edit: just found the Gamers Seeking Gamers thread. I am an idiot, I will leave this here as a testament to my shame.

Eugene has an active gaming community. Contact user lorna on BGG. The Eugene Games Gala is the first week in February. I will be coming up from California to attend.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 17, 2013

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

nimby posted:

So it is everything I'm hoping/dreading it to be. Are there any "unbalanced" pets? I only saw a few online and their effects seem to vary a lot. Any new traps?
The effects on the pets are overall quit minor and some are better than others (especially Stare Plant), but thanks to the semi-drafting method, it's not too bad and since you only get a small number of them they don't make the game that unbalanced. There are indeed new traps, but they aren't much different from the ones available. There's the dart of madness (does one damage, then the person you aimed the dart at does half his life of damage to the person in front of him) for example. We did get an absolutely horrible event as well (which was worded really weirdly) where your imps form a pet shop so you lose one imp, and one additional imp for every block above your one in the evil track (since nicer dungeon lords are more likely to lose imps). This made one person in our group lose 4 imps, which only left her with a single imp left.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

So if you're trying to stay below everyone else to get the easiest heroes, by overusing the propaganda room, you can potentially lose 10 imps? :catstare:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I watched the Tom Vasel review of Rex and the game seems really interesting. The downside is, he said you really need six to get the most of it. We regularly get 4, sometimes 5 guys over here. I can swing six, but only rarely.

Is it still worth it? I'm really torn between Rex, Dungeon Lords and Cosmic Encounter. All seem great in different ways (and Dungeon Lords of course has the Vlaada factor).

Help me, board game thread!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
The Gamers seeking Gamers thread seems to be dominated by people looking to play non-boardgame RPG/tabletop stuff. I occasionally see people in there wanting to play boardgames. Every few months I post in this thread looking for people in my city just in case people don't check the other thread =(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nope, the maximum is 4: it's blocks, not spaces, so if you have the lowest evilness out of everyone and no one is tied with you, you have a maximum of 1 + 3 (for every other block) lost imps. Still nasty as hell. Also, the expansion pushes everyone much higher up the evilometer mostly due to the new opportunity action that makes everyone else go higher up the evilometer.

Also, I'm interested in running another pbp game of Resistance. I know the last two were easy wins for the spies, but I think that if I run a 5 or 6 player game, in which there is no more than 2 spies, it would be possible for the humans to win even in a pbp setting. Anyone interested?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

I watched the Tom Vasel review of Rex and the game seems really interesting. The downside is, he said you really need six to get the most of it. We regularly get 4, sometimes 5 guys over here. I can swing six, but only rarely.

Is it still worth it? I'm really torn between Rex, Dungeon Lords and Cosmic Encounter. All seem great in different ways (and Dungeon Lords of course has the Vlaada factor).

I do like Rex but yeah, you really need 6 in order to really play the game as it was intended. There's no real scaling done in regards of how many players play so although the game can be played with 5/4 etc, it oftens feels more unbalanced since some houses, although powerful in the 6 player game, have nothing to balance them out.

Dungeon Lords is awesome and I really do recommend it (and the expansion, which I will make a better review of soon), but it is balanced for 4 and 4 only: i mildly dislike the crutches used to make it compatible with 3 people or even 2.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 19, 2013

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Der Shovel posted:

Tekopo is right; Rex is only really great with six. If you regularly get four, Dungeon Lords is probably the best out of the three, although Cosmic Encounter is great for those who like heavy negotiation and lighter gameplay and supports a wider range of players.

Also, if you regularly get four, no more and no less, consider Chaos in the Old World. It's a great asymmetrical 4-player game that strikes a lot of similar chords for me that Rex does (mainly the asymmetry of the powers). Note though, it only really works with four.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Der Shovel posted:

We played one game of 5 in Rex that turned out ok. The problem is that Rex is all about alliances, and in 5 you can get a 2v3, which is a bit unfair. I went it alone we we ended up 2v2v1 for a while, then there was some renegotiating later and it worked out ok. But 6 really is best. Honestly, Rex seemed pretty awesome right away, but we played it like 3-4 times then haven't touched it for months.

edit: ^^ I totally agree that Chaos is probably a better choice. It can also play 5 players with the expansion, but I prefer the original with 4.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I played Power Grid last night for the second time. I can see how it's a really well-designed game, but holy poo poo, it's really... fiddly, I guess? It involves adding so many numbers together and then keeping all those numbers floating around in your head while you figure out what you can do, and it also seems like it's ideal if you can do all that for all the other players. I can see the cool game hiding under all the numbers, but I feel like the optimal way to actually engage with it is with a spreadsheet open on a laptop to keep track of everything.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cbirdsong posted:

I played Power Grid last night for the second time. I can see how it's a really well-designed game, but holy poo poo, it's really... fiddly, I guess? It involves adding so many numbers together and then keeping all those numbers floating around in your head while you figure out what you can do, and it also seems like it's ideal if you can do all that for all the other players. I can see the cool game hiding under all the numbers, but I feel like the optimal way to actually engage with it is with a spreadsheet open on a laptop to keep track of everything.

I kinda feel this way too. I like the design, but it's really mathy and most of the time I don't like to think that hard when I'm playing boardgames. You can look into Power Grid: First Sparks, which is way less mathy, but less tightly designed. One thing I kinda don't like about it is this weird sort of thing where you're better off not being in the lead, but being close enough that you can sprint to the lead if need be. It reminds me of Mario Kart, where I don't want to be in first place for fear of blue shells and to get better power ups that can help me get first in the last lap or something. I hate that feeling of having to hold back for the sake of optimization, but there it is.

I played a solo game of Mage Knight and probably screwed up a few rules here and there, but it was pretty drat fun. Although it was sort of hard to figure out some of the more elaborate combat scenarios, like assaulting a city. Also, spells are pretty hard to use effectively! Can't wait to try it with other people, but not too many, because drat some of those turns were long even though I was playing by myself.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 17, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trynant posted:

Tekopo is right; Rex is only really great with six.

Welp, that was really all I needed to hear. I guess I'll add one more Vlaada game to my collection and get Dungeon Lords! Thanks, guys!

quote:

Also, if you regularly get four, no more and no less, consider Chaos in the Old World.

Chaos in the Old World was the first proper board game I bought after getting my friends into the hobby with Munchkin :)

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

GrandpaPants posted:

Goddamn, I thought I was done with Summoner Wars, but then they announce second summoners. Flush, there goes the sound of another $100.

It was only 40 dollars to preorder all the decks from Plaid Hat's website. You get them a month earlier as well. I bought them the moment I saw they were announced.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

oh rly posted:

It was only 40 dollars to preorder all the decks from Plaid Hat's website. You get them a month earlier as well. I bought them the moment I saw they were announced.

$40 to preorder these ones, but the rest to come...

That brings up another question, how are you guys planning on storing all the Summoner Wars stuff? The Master Set had enough space for sleeved stuff, but I doubt another army for each race/faction is going to fit in that box, unless I remove the insert or something, which is actually kinda tempting.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I literally have the best girlfriend.
I've been getting her slowly into board games these last couple of years, and last week when it was her birthday she asked me if we could go and pick something up from the gaming store. I figured she probably wanted to get an expansion to Arkham Horror or munchkin Cthulhu, because it goes back to some of her earliest board game experiences.
When we got there she started looking around for Pandemic, because she'd seen the tabletop review of it. And she thought the co-op nature of the game was something she might like, because it reminded her of Arkham.
Unfortunately the store didn't have any copies of Pandemic, so we were just about to leave, when I spotted the store's last copy of Space Alert and after some convincing from me and the store manager, she decided that it sounded interesting enough.
So far we've only managed to play the first couple of tutorials, just the two of us, but we are both hooked and can't wait to introduce this to the people we normally play with.

Gotta say this game lives up to all the hype it's gotten. Now I just need to sell her on the idea of Mage Knight.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
How easy did you find learning it with two players? Because we looked at it with three, and saw that there's a whole separate rule for less than 4-5 players (those stupid Android things, or whatever) - so we just waited until a day we could get four people together, and still found it a bit of a headfuck to learn.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I love Rex and it makes me sad no one will play it with me because it needs at least 4 and it looks intimidating.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Yoshimo posted:

How easy did you find learning it with two players? Because we looked at it with three, and saw that there's a whole separate rule for less than 4-5 players (those stupid Android things, or whatever) - so we just waited until a day we could get four people together, and still found it a bit of a headfuck to learn.

My wife and I managed to play all but the last stimulation with just the two of us. It was pretty much an abysmal failure every time, but we at least got the rules down and it was much easier to teach new people after that. We still haven't gotten a chance to play the full game though. Every time we bring it out to teach new people, we get through a few sims and then they're ready to move on to something else. Maybe one day...

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Man, that's exactly what loving happens with us! Me and the actual owner of the game have done the first few tutorial missions so many goddamned times. And every time we find two other people to play it, they either hate it or they can't get into it.

It's doomed to sit in the Cupboard of Broken Dreams forevermore.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

That brings up another question, how are you guys planning on storing all the Summoner Wars stuff?

Oh poo poo, I thought the new leaders was just gonna be new leaders, not a new leader + accompanying deck. I'll probably just not get the new leaders. The game has insane replayabilty enough as it stands now.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Yoshimo posted:

Man, that's exactly what loving happens with us! Me and the actual owner of the game have done the first few tutorial missions so many goddamned times. And every time we find two other people to play it, they either hate it or they can't get into it.

It's doomed to sit in the Cupboard of Broken Dreams forevermore.

I have the same problem with space alert, by the time everyone learns it they're either too tired, or drunk, or lose interest.

I've done the tutorials like 6 times and never played an actual mission :sigh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So apparently my meetup group plays this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127024/room-25

It's basically Cube: The Board Game. I really want to try this, it looks awesome.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

GrandpaPants posted:

$40 to preorder these ones, but the rest to come...

That brings up another question, how are you guys planning on storing all the Summoner Wars stuff? The Master Set had enough space for sleeved stuff, but I doubt another army for each race/faction is going to fit in that box, unless I remove the insert or something, which is actually kinda tempting.

I am not sure how I plan to store it. Currently, I have everything that is available including the dice. I still have to buy the 3 Summoner Wars shirts so I can wear them while I play.

I also have the 1st edition of the Master Set so I have the bigger box with the plastic insert. There is a 2nd edition that is skinner and comes with all the decks bagged up and no insert.

I have 10 decks with reinforcements sleeved in the Master Set box, 5 decks with reinforcements sleeved in a starter box, and all the mercenaries sleeved in the other starter box. I don't really have an efficient system.

I will most likely remove the insert out of the Master Set box and either keep all the decks together with sandwich bags, the tuck boxes you can download and make from BGG, or buy the rubber bands that won't hurt the cards or sleeves.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Tekopo posted:

It's basically Cube: The Board Game. I really want to try this, it looks awesome.

That looks sweet! Gonna have to keep an eye out for that in the US.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Tekopo posted:

It's where I found my group in London (UK) and I've been gaming with them for a year solid, so yeah, it can be a good place to find a board game group.
Is that London On Board by any chance? My (non-goon) friend goes there every so often and I went along once last year. It was the first time I'd boardgamed with people I wasn't already friends with, and it was a lot of fun. I'd go more regularly but I don't live in London.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Doug posted:

My wife and I managed to play all but the last stimulation with just the two of us. It was pretty much an abysmal failure every time, but we at least got the rules down and it was much easier to teach new people after that. We still haven't gotten a chance to play the full game though. Every time we bring it out to teach new people, we get through a few sims and then they're ready to move on to something else. Maybe one day...

Same with me. My wife and I tried it out, and it was a clusterfuck trying to control two additional players. We figured out the rules, at least. I think we'll have to try out the 1-3 player Little Duckling variant posted on BGG though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tactical_grace posted:

Is that London On Board by any chance? My (non-goon) friend goes there every so often and I went along once last year. It was the first time I'd boardgamed with people I wasn't already friends with, and it was a lot of fun. I'd go more regularly but I don't live in London.
Yep, that's right. It's a pretty good group because it has a mix of regular, new people (mostly people out to try something different) and only the occasional hopeless case. I go to it far too often for it to be healthy but the weekday meetup is 2 minutes away from where I work and I don't usually have anything better to do in the weekends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

The designer has said on BGG that it's meant to be Cube the game. I want to try it too, I love Vincenzo Natali movies.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
New Tabletop's out, but it's a terrible game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4IPm_aSPqs

"Chez Geek", a Steve Jackson Games masterpiece with a 5.66 on BGG. It has Paul & Storm on it, though. I hope they make it worth watching.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Malkar posted:

New Tabletop's out, but it's a terrible game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4IPm_aSPqs

"Chez Geek", a Steve Jackson Games masterpiece with a 5.66 on BGG. It has Paul & Storm on it, though. I hope they make it worth watching.

I learned how to play this from Steve Jackson and his wife in my Fluxx-Munchkin days. They're very nice, if a little strange.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Any opinions on Letters From Whitechapel? FFG is doing a revised Reprint. Looks interesting, but I've seen a few video reviews.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=233&esem=1

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Cactrot posted:

I have the same problem with space alert, by the time everyone learns it they're either too tired, or drunk, or lose interest.

I've done the tutorials like 6 times and never played an actual mission :sigh:

The very first time I played, with all new players (and not serious boardgamers), we ran through the full set of test missions up to a full mission.

Now, I never do more than 1 tutorial (first test mission) when playing with new players.

Explain the rules (minus C buttons and internal threats), set up random tracks/enemies (not presets), run 1st test mission. Explain rest of rules, full mission.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Deviant posted:

I learned how to play this from Steve Jackson and his wife in my Fluxx-Munchkin days. They're very nice, if a little strange.

Steve Jackson seemed like a really nice guy on the Munchkin episode! This guy who works for him, who is on this episode, not so much.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Elysium posted:

The very first time I played, with all new players (and not serious boardgamers), we ran through the full set of test missions up to a full mission.

Now, I never do more than 1 tutorial (first test mission) when playing with new players.

Explain the rules (minus C buttons and internal threats), set up random tracks/enemies (not presets), run 1st test mission. Explain rest of rules, full mission.

This is how I teach the game to a T. Training mission with cards played face up, 7 action version. Then the training wheels come off.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
I've got 3 or 4 people coming over Saturday so maybe I'll try that accelerated version. One guy already partially knows the rules, so hopefully it won't be too painful. Hilarious death here I come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I also make sure to stress that the mission is VERY SAFE and nothing bad will happen because this is a peaceful sector of space that is VERY SAFE and contains NO ENEMIES. It helps set the tone for the game.

• Locked thread