Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dirtbag Diva posted:

A friend of mine recommended agave nectar since I don't bake that much and just like to add a little sweetness to some of my roasts/sauces. Any good brands out there?

None of it is cheap, as you are competing with all of the vegans that don't eat honey. I'm kind of so-so on it, as it does have some flavor to it.

My advice, buy a box of sugar packets for 2 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or a jar of molasses. That poo poo keeps something on the order of "all eternity" and has that nice twang to it. Shouldn't be more than 2-3 bucks a jar.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EVG posted:

Totally want to make this tonight.

When your recipe in the wiki says "2 cups of beans, cooked" does that mean I need to have 2 cups of dry legumes soaking now, or cook them and then measure out 2 cups of the cooked ones? I'm assuming the former...

Can you also elaborate on the step "In a pot, cook your beans." About how long do you think it would take to cook soaked split yellow peas? Want to make sure I have time tonight before putting them to the soak.

It is the former. Once they are soaked I've found split peas to cook in like 30 minutes or so.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Or a jar of molasses. That poo poo keeps something on the order of "all eternity" and has that nice twang to it. Shouldn't be more than 2-3 bucks a jar.

Thanks, I'll pick some up this weekend.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Honey also keeps indefinitely and is much more suited to use in a range of sauces than molasses imo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah molasses has a pretty distinct flavor that, for me at least, screams "BBQ" in savory dishes.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Any recommendations for someone who has never eaten (besides one gyro years ago) or cooked lamb? I'd like to start introducing into my diet and eating it fairly regularly if I like it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I am a huge fan of this recipe for orzo with ground lamb and feta.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you can get good, fresh lamb steaks or chops, just cook them like you would a good beef steak. Sear in a hot pan until you have a crust, season, flip, get that side done, finish with a little butter, and serve it while it's still rare.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Sometime soon, I would really like to make use of some of the more exotic meats available at the nearby ethnic markets. I see rabbit regularly (it's not really exotic but whatever, I never had), pigs feet and jowls and faces, cow tongue, cow feet, beef heart, ox tail, etc.

Seeing as I have never tried any of that stuff, could someone maybe give me an idea of what to expect taste wise, and give me an idea of what the hell I'd do with any of these? I know ox tail is supposed to be amazing.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
Oxtail is amazing and really good in slow cooker type dishes. I dig tongue because I usually get it really cheap and it tastes good in homemade tacos.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah molasses has a pretty distinct flavor that, for me at least, screams "BBQ" in savory dishes.

Hmm, I usually stick to honey when I'm making smoothies or frozen yogurt. Would molasses affect thick tomato sauces terribly if it just calls for a teaspoon (of sugar. Don't judge. It's my mom's recipe) or less?

Dirtbag Diva fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leg of lamb is dead simple. I generally go for some sort of dijon/rosemary thing on the outside then roast it until it hits an internal temp of about 130. Let it rest for 20-30 minutes then carve.

Rack of lamb is pretty easy too, just a little more time consuming.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Oxtail is amazing and really good in slow cooker type dishes. I dig tongue because I usually get it really cheap and it tastes good in homemade tacos.

Hmm, I usually stick to honey when I'm making smoothies or frozen yogurt. Would molasses affect thick tomato sauces terribly if it just calls for a teaspoon or less?

That amount would probably be ok in a tomato sauce. But too much in a tomato sauce will definitely make it start to taste like bbq sauce.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
I just pulled out my Italian Slow Cooker cookbook for their Roman Oxtail Stew:

1/4 cup olive oil
4 pounds oxtails
1 large onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 cup dry red wine
1 28 ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes in juice (I replace this with fresh roma tomatoes off my plant in the backyard)
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Salt and pepper
6 medium celery ribs, slices
1 tablespoon chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 tablespoon raisins (I omit these because yuck)

In the skillet heat up oil, add oxtails and brown without crowding. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Drain off all but two tablespoons of fat from the pan and brown the onions, stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine and scrape up all the good brown stuff. Stir in tomatoes (you might need to mash them before adding), cloves, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and then add to oxtails.
Cover the slow cooker and put on low for 6 hours.

During the last hour bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add the celery and cook for one minute. Drain.
Turn the slow cooker to high. Stir in the chocolate, celery, pine nuts and raisins (if you like them). Cook for thirty minutes.

Dirtbag Diva fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 16, 2013

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
If you like lamb but find that you're not too fond of the gamey taste of a roasted one then try out any average middle eastern recipe which includes tomatoes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Hmm, I usually stick to honey when I'm making smoothies or frozen yogurt. Would molasses affect thick tomato sauces terribly if it just calls for a teaspoon (of sugar. Don't judge. It's my mom's recipe) or less?
So why were you considering agave nectar instead of honey in the first place?

In any case, if you want something that approximates honey that isn't honey you might try corn cob jelly.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

SubG posted:

So why were you considering agave nectar instead of honey in the first place?

In any case, if you want something that approximates honey that isn't honey you might try corn cob jelly.

My friends raise their own honey outside of the city and I get weirdly sentimental about food given to me for free so I try to make it last as long as possible. Dumb. I know.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

SubG posted:

you might try corn cob jelly.

I'm surprised how that google image search went; it sounds really dirty.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
If you were doing a potluck, and you had to make two dishes that compliment each other, what would you make?

We're doing one at work in this theme. I'm open to anything, I've made just about the entire spectrum of food for these before, but this one is interesting :)

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Pulled pork and cucumber quick pickles or braised beef and a parsley-heavy salad with lemon shallot vinagrette.

foresight
May 13, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

You may not be using enough horseradish as dumb as that sounds. Aioli tolerates a lot of flavoring before it will start to come through. Continue to add more horseradish until it reaches a level you like. Be prepared to use what seems like a stupid amount.

Thanks. Made this again this week, went almost equal parts horseradish pulp to aioli, and it tastes awesome.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap omelette pan? My small non-stick came with a set and isn't so non-stick anymore.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap omelette pan? My small non-stick came with a set and isn't so non-stick anymore.

We bought an 8 and 10 inch set of Calphalons on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond, and are very happy with them. They weren't CHEAP (although not super pricy) but very good quality and I love them. Everything slides right off, and what more can you ask?

Pretty sure it was these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14506683
Although I'm sure you can find just one if needed. $50 for the set, plus use one of those 20% off coupons they always have floating around and you get two good pans for $40.

EVG fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 17, 2013

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

dalstrs posted:

Of all the pans I've used for omelettes, this simple cheap aluminium style of pan has consistently worked the best for me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

We bought an 8 and 10 inch set of Calphalons on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond, and are very happy with them. They weren't CHEAP (although not super pricy) but very good quality and I love them. Everything slides right off, and what more can you ask?

Pretty sure it was these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14506683
Although I'm sure you can find just one if needed. $50 for the set, plus use one of those 20% off coupons they always have floating around and you get two good pans for $40.

I've used these same pans for 2 years now, still work well, still non stick

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I made some hash browns this morning and they turned out a soggy grey mess. I have three guesses as to why.

1. Too much oil. I cooked them right after frying some bacon in the same pan, and there was a lot of bacon fat left so I was just like "enh" and dumped the potatoes in.
2. The oil wasn't hot enough.
3. I didn't get enough moisture out of the potatoes. I squeezed the hell out of them in a towel, but there were a lot so maybe I should have squeezed them in a few smaller batches.

Any idea for which problem(s) are most likely to blame?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've used these same pans for 2 years now, still work well, still non stick

Yeah, I've had mine at least as long. :) Just treat 'em well, don't scratch with metal utensils, they'll be great. Really, washing them means a rinse and then a cursory wipe with a soapy sponge, I love how easy they are to clean.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

Really, washing them means a rinse and then a cursory wipe with a soapy sponge, I love how easy they are to clean.

Yeah, everyone who has teflon problems should learn to care for it correctly. No high heat, no metal utensils, no hot/cold shocking, no scouring pads. I use plastic bristle brushes or those two sided biodegradeable sponges (made of plant fibers).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wargamerROB posted:

I made some hash browns this morning and they turned out a soggy grey mess. I have three guesses as to why.

1. Too much oil. I cooked them right after frying some bacon in the same pan, and there was a lot of bacon fat left so I was just like "enh" and dumped the potatoes in.
2. The oil wasn't hot enough.
3. I didn't get enough moisture out of the potatoes. I squeezed the hell out of them in a towel, but there were a lot so maybe I should have squeezed them in a few smaller batches.

Any idea for which problem(s) are most likely to blame?

Probably 3 and a bit of 2 which was worsened because of 1. You should also be washing your grated potatoes to remove excess starch that will just gummy up the final product. As sad as it is to say, there is a reason why frozen hash browns work so well. It is because the freezer dries them out. Grate your browns the night before, soak/wash them until the water is clear, wring them in a towel, spread them out on a sheet pan and place in freezer uncovered over night, and they should be ready first thing in the morning.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
So somebody gave me one of these for christmas -

http://www.chefschoice.com/page2b.html#4633

Are these any good? My chef's knife is relatively nice so I don't want to screw it up if this is a lovely sharpener.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

Are these any good? My chef's knife is relatively nice so I don't want to screw it up if this is a lovely sharpener.

Nooooo. Do not use.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I like making rosemary rolls. Can I get more rosemary flavor by simmering the oil in the bread with some Rosemary? Or does it need to be infused at room temp for a long time?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

fatherdog posted:

It's poo poo. Avoid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Will do. Any recommendations?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

fatherdog posted:

Will do. Any recommendations?

Buy a stone, learn how to use it or pay a professional to do it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I like making rosemary rolls. Can I get more rosemary flavor by simmering the oil in the bread with some Rosemary? Or does it need to be infused at room temp for a long time?

I'm assuming you mean simmering the bread in oil with rosemary, yes? :)

I'd work a little backwards, start with the oil and rosemary on very low heat. You don't want to fry the rosemary. Get the oil warm and then toss in the rosemary and take it off the heat. Let it cool down and then you have some choices.

You can move the whole mess to a bottle with a fresh stick or two of rosemary and use it from there as a flavoring oil

If you are making a small batch of oil for just one batch of rolls, you could remove the rosemary from the cooled oil and then heat it back up and simmer the rolls in the flavored oil. If you do it this way, use a healthy amount of rosemary in the oil when warm.

EDIT:VVV Oh duh, that makes a lot more sense than what I was reading, or the way I jumbled it back up.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 17, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think s/he's talking about the oil that goes in the bread dough.

But otherwise I would do what czar said. The flavor and aroma in rosemary is volatile, ie when you heat it up it ends up in the air and no longer in the rosemary or the oil. So while a little heat will help to free up more flavor, too much and your kitchen will smell like rosemary but your bread won't.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Thanks. I've got fuckloads of rosemary. Is there any other way I can get more rosemary flavor into the rolls?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Probably not without turning them green by making a pesto kind of thing with the rosemary.

Edit: Assuming you're serving the rolls warm, I would gently heat some rosemary in salted butter and brush it on top right before serving. That will really deliver good aroma when you eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

FishBulb posted:

Buy a stone, learn how to use it or pay a professional to do it.

I wish I had learned this before my husband shelled out a hundred bucks on a highly-rated sharpener last year. Thankfully I didn't damage any of my nice knives with it, but it didn't remotely sharpen the knife I tried it on and I could have gotten something much more useful for that money :(