Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

kiimo posted:

I'm kinda confused why you guys complain about Mondo posters telling people nothing if they haven't seen the movie. They're created specifically for sale to people who have seen and love the movie.
People who have seen the movie, love the movie, and want nothing to do with the typically awesome official posters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

tliil posted:

People who have seen the movie, love the movie, and want nothing to do with the typically awesome official posters!

What the poo poo is this?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jaws Greek Bathhouse-style.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Did they splice Jaws with a hammerhead?

Edit: Consulting the original poster, it seems that bath-house one just did a really poo poo job rendering the shark.

I'm guessing the bath-house poster is some graphic design student's weak as hell project. C+, the textures are good and I like the title font.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 17, 2013

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

For gently caress's sake. This proves it: people cannot be trusted to just do whatever they want with movie posters.

It's official: From now on, third-party posters should only be produced as Frank Frazetta style posters, regardless of the content of the film. Anything else is just frustrating.

This. Forever. For everything.
Because apparently limitations need to be imposed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I quite like both of those new Mondo posters. Jaws is fun to look at, and ET just says ET all over.

Basically: gently caress the Mondo Haters.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I quite like both of those new Mondo posters. Jaws is fun to look at, and ET just says ET all over.

Basically: gently caress the Mondo Haters.

First of all, gently caress you too, second of all,

quote:

and ET just says ET all over.

Gee, I loving wonder why?!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

beanieson posted:

It was pushed back a couple of times for a January release, and was not screened for reviewers so.... Bad sign I guess

New mondo posters

Yo what the hell is this poo poo?

There's one that's tonally opposed to the film and one that's just a copy of the real poster with different colors and more junk on the sides.

People pay hundreds of dollars for this poo poo.

What the gently caress?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Why did Mondo make one so different than the original?!!!

One did Mondo make one so similar to the original?!!!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, if I'd been making that particular Jaws poster, I'd have had a second poster continuing the scene to be positioned to the right of it that was just the simple flat plain ocean with the shadow of a shark under the water.

The combination of the two could have worked pretty well.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

You know, if I'd been making that particular Jaws poster, I'd have had a second poster to be positioned to the right of it that was just the simple flat plain ocean with the shadow of a shark under the water.

The combination of the two could have worked pretty well.

That's not a bad idea, at all. There's nothing wrong with the artwork, it's just... not a JAWS poster.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jefferoo posted:

First of all, gently caress you too, second of all,

Gee, I loving wonder why?!

No I get it, but it's well done, and I like the sepia tone.

Now, I wouldn't buy them because I don't care to hang either on my wall, but I think they are well done pieces. The guy who did the Jaws one is a talented motherfucker. Got his Mummy poster on my wall.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mustached5thGrader posted:

This man made of straw is so much fun to punch!!!

I don't hate the Jaws poster with the beach, but it is pretty much a "you need to know the movie to understand it" posters, for better or for worse. Agreed with Lizard Combatant that putting in more of the ocean to showcase something about the shark would be better.

The E.T. poster is way too much a ripoff of the original. Nice colors, nice composition, total ripoff of the original and not in a good way.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Mondo actually already has a better Jaws poster, from 2006:

Other really good posters from Mondo, since everyone has a hate boner for them:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^HOLY poo poo, that Hedwig and the Angry Inch poster.

I'm not worthy!

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

From now on, third-party posters should only be produced as Frank Frazetta style posters, regardless of the content of the film. Anything else is just frustrating.

As the 80's rebirth winds down to its final death throes, it grieves me deeply that the painted poster, this style in particular, never had its resurgence.

Goodnight skimpy babes clutching the shins of sexy men with awesome chiseled bods. You were too beautiful for this world.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

As the 80's rebirth winds down to its final death throes, it grieves me deeply that the painted poster, this style in particular, never had its resurgence.

Goodnight skimpy babes clutching the shins of sexy men with awesome chiseled bods. You were too beautiful for this world.

:qq: :qq: :qq:

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

This works better as a travel poster. Change the black stripe back to orange and change the text to info about Amity Island.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I'm aware, and I love it. I really want a copy after I buy the real ones.

But, that too, is parody (even if it is by Boris .........).

I meant a real rebirth. Like DOZENS of movies used it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

scary ghost dog posted:

Mondo actually already has a better Jaws poster, from 2006:

This is kind of cool.

I certainly don't have a hate boner for Mondo, their My Neighbour Totoro is really excellent.

They just have the cover song problem, any derivative work is going to be subject to more criticism.

e: \/\/\/ lol

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 17, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Or more like why did Mondo make one that has nothing to do with the film and also one that's a big ripoff of the regular one, you beep-boop robot jackass.

Hmm they made two things that are bad in two different ways, does not compute, GUESS ONE MUST ACTUALLY BE GOOD.

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 17, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

penismightier posted:

Or more like why did Mondo make one that has nothing to do with the film and also one that's a big ripoff of the regular one, you beep-boop robot jackass.

The Jaws one has lots to do with the film, just nothing to do with the shark. Jaws is as much about Amity Island as it is the Great White who terrorizes it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Jaws one has lots to do with the film, just nothing to do with the shark. Jaws is as much about Amity Island as it is the Great White who terrorizes it.

I'd argue it has more to do with Amity than the shark.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Sure but that doesn't capture the spirit of Amity at all. It's got some of the visuals, sure, but the umbrella tilted like that, the Great Gatsby-ish font, all the heads down, and that leg, it's coy and sort of jazz age-ish. It doesn't capture the era, the feel, or the emotional undercurrent of the town in the film.

It's just loving fancy clipart. It's a better poster for the Redford Gatsby film than for Jaws.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

It's needlessly riffling off French Art Deco travel posters.

I get the "danger in paradise" thing but the fear factor of Jaws was that it was your everyday people being menaced by a shark who didn't care who you were.
The whole 1920's travel poster woefully misfires as it's implying a gilded, sophisticated tone that is so far removed from anything within the film's subject. It literally implies "well to do people get menaced by a shark".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

The Jaws poster is pretty, it looks like a travel poster for Amity Island, but putting in the shark fin and then having "JAWS" written at the bottom just looks dumb. They're going for the "trouble in paradise" thing, but if you're going to do that then do a fancy travel poster and in the background have a sharkfin in the water and maybe an upturned boat (though I think that's Jaws 2 or 3).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

WebDog posted:

The whole 1920's travel poster woefully misfires as it's implying a gilded, sophisticated tone that is so far removed from anything within the film's subject.

Yessss thank you, that is surprisingly hard to phrase.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Peanut President posted:

The Jaws poster is pretty, it looks like a travel poster for Amity Island,

The big problem for me is that yeah it may look like a travel poster... but it looks nothing like a 70s travel poster. It might work better if the artist had tried to replicate 70s design trends but I expect that doesn't look as lovely to them, so they went purely for aesthetics and the result is just some art deco pastiche that might as well not even be a Jaws poster.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Besides the perceptive observations already made, the other worst thing is that it's overlaid with a secret minimalist poster. In this case, a black triangle.

It's like if a Psycho poster were to depict a plain city skyline, but one of the buildings is brightly lit to look like an abstract shower curtain.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Noxville posted:

The big problem for me is that yeah it may look like a travel poster... but it looks nothing like a 70s travel poster. It might work better if the artist had tried to replicate 70s design trends but I expect that doesn't look as lovely to them, so they went purely for aesthetics and the result is just some art deco pastiche that might as well not even be a Jaws poster.

You are right, of course. It's pretty but it's a bad poster.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Mondo seems like such a good idea, until you find out they're in arbitrarily very limited runs, cost hundreds of dollars and can sometimes be incredibly awful despite all that. I mean, taste is subjective, but it would be nice if they weren't elevated to such a rare commodity.

What's the fan-poster site that's cheaper and has tons of varied submissions, and is therefore immediately a million times better? My walls are bare.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mondo posters have never cost hundreds of dollars new. That ET poster is $45 and the Jaws poster is $60.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Mondo posters have never cost hundreds of dollars new. That ET poster is $45 and the Jaws poster is $60.

I might be thinking of the eBay resales and so on which seem to get pretty expensive, my apologies. Even at sixty bucks though, that's still expensive for a movie poster, at least to a cheapskate like me. I know it's probably really difficult and expensive getting an official license to print these posters, but come on. A couple of their posters seem really nice, but never seem to be worth the money.

That is, the money they would have costed if they were still even available. It would be nice to be able to buy a poster I saw and liked without having had to happen to know when it was scheduled to come out in advance, and then sit refreshing a page over and over, which is how the process sounds from reading the reports people have mentioned in this thread. Sometimes you don't even get to choose which poster you're going to buy.

I don't know why I'm making such a big deal of it, it's really not. I guess I'm just tormented by the fact I don't have one of their House posters on my wall right this second.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mister Chief posted:

They essentially do cost that much, since you have a window of about 30 seconds tops to buy them "retail" prices before they're only available from flippers.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Apart from the "I redrew the original poster! :D" aspect of that E.T. one I really don't like how stiff the whole thing is. Compare how dynamic Elliot and E.T. are in the original to the stiff, mannequin like, posture in the Mondo one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

This is loving Awesome and I want one so bad.

...try and tear me down!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Getting back to discussion of actual movie posters, does anyone know who painted this one? It doesn't look like Greg and Tim Hildebrandt and I don't think it's Struzan either.

Sgt_Grumbles
Jan 10, 2006
STG. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
This page needs more awful... this should do it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

I should just stop coming to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

"Revenge never gets old. Not if it steals and wears the skin of the living."