Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't, and will never understand this 'make your car less reliable' trend.
That may be because of the baseline you'd be starting from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

West SAAB Story posted:

but the fact that the suspension is gone along with the chrome and handles isn't that big of a deal amirite?

I don't, and will never understand this 'make your car less reliable' trend.
They like the look of it, theres nothing really to understand they just dont care that it drives worse. To me the hellaflush wheels make it look like they're on crooked (duh) and that car being so low makes it look like it got bent in the middle.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

That may be because of the baseline you'd be starting from.

:drat:

Cage posted:

They like the look of it, theres nothing really to understand they just dont care that it drives worse.

Well.. Ok? :confused:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Im sure this car is on airbags so its probably smooth.
They're not the wheels I would pick, but aside from that, if you dont like the car, that's your problem not the cars. That thing is sinister.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Preoptopus posted:

That thing is sinister.

8MPG, tires that last ALMOST 2,000 miles, and $500 worth of batteries required to go over a pothole. Neat.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

West SAAB Story posted:

8MPG, tires that last ALMOST 2,000 miles, and $500 worth of batteries required to go over a pothole. Neat.

Back seat full of wet panties and I still dont get your point??

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Preoptopus posted:

Pretty much the same here. It looks cool, but functionally, it's not very useful. Someone spent money to make an old car less reliable. I am not trying to troll you, but I really don't understand what makes that awesome.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

West SAAB Story posted:

Is it that surprising that some people would spend a lot of money on a car to get it to look the way they wanted it to? I feel like this is a pretty large segment of car buying guys in their 20-30s.

Preoptopus posted:

This is stupid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Big, modern wheels just never seem to look right on classic cars.

I agree. Particularly the skinny ribbon tires they use -- vintage cars (and to some extent even modern race cars) always look better to me when they're showing a reasonable amount of sidewall. For most average-sized sports cars I think that falls in the 16-17" wheel range.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cage posted:

Is it that surprising that some people would spend a lot of money to get a car to look the way they wanted it to look?

"Why?"

It does look like something I could see someone shooting a Tommy Gun out of, sure. But, it looks broken, too. Its like someone spent $1,000 on a car, and $4,000 on the paint job.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

West SAAB Story posted:

"Why?"

It does look like something I could see someone shooting a Tommy Gun out of, sure. But, it looks broken, too. Its like someone spent $1,000 on a car, and $4,000 on the paint job.
Stop asking why, there is no answer beyond "they like the way it looks". I hate the color green on cars but Im not flabbergasted when someone drives by in one.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cage posted:

Stop asking why, there is no answer beyond "they like the way it looks". I hate the color green on cars but Im not flabbergasted when someone drives by in one.

That I can understand. That green car can go over speed bumps, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
1200hp twin turbo LS3 race buggy? I think so :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdun0M8bLNg

It's not really obvious how steep that hill is until you see the top with people standing on it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

That I can understand. That green car can go over speed bumps, though.

So can anything on air.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Here's a van doing a burnout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBf5e9wvezw

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Das Volk posted:

Big wheels just never seem to look right on cars.

Fixed that for ya :v:

Dinosorcerer
Sep 2, 2011
So, I know I just posted about that Racewars event here in WA the other day but a fairly interesting car has just entered.

One of the fastest street cars in Australia, John Faraone's 1,970hp Charger.

Yes, street car:

That's a picture from when they competed in Drag Week in the good ol' US of A, driving 1500 miles over the course of a week to and from various strips.

Considering it does 8.2s, 170mph 1/4mile runs it should be quite an experience to see how it goes over the 1000m.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Dinosorcerer posted:

So, I know I just posted about that Racewars event here in WA the other day but a fairly interesting car has just entered.

Yes, street car:

That's a picture from when they competed in Drag Week in the good ol' US of A, driving 1500 miles over the course of a week to and from various strips.

Considering it does 8.2s, 170mph 1/4mile runs it should be quite an experience to see how it goes over the 1000m.

The cars that compete in Drag Week are to me some seriously cool cars. Any car that can drive 1,500 miles and then goes onto a drag strip and puts down consistent 8-9 second runs is a really well put together.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

And I raise you Dax Shepards Continental. This is how it should be done.

Also It does look like something I could see someone shooting a Tommy Gun out of, sure. But, it looks broken, too. Its like someone spent $1,000 on a car, and $4,000 on the paint job.

What forum do you think you're in buddy? My bug cost me 1500 dollars and it was just a rusted husk of a car. By the time I'm done it'll have over 15000 worth of time and parts in it. I don't think you "get" classic cars.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Dinosorcerer posted:

[pictures]

Yes, street car:

That's cool as hell and reminds me of the RUF yellowbirds that drove to pike's peak and got 1st or 2nd in their class and then drove home. Also I hate it when you guys say WA and I think it means Washington (my state :patriot: ) because I wanna see that thing get down

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

veedubfreak posted:

Also It does look like something I could see someone shooting a Tommy Gun out of, sure. But, it looks broken, too. Its like someone spent $1,000 on a car, and $4,000 on the paint job.

What forum do you think you're in buddy? My bug cost me 1500 dollars and it was just a rusted husk of a car. By the time I'm done it'll have over 15000 worth of time and parts in it. I don't think you "get" classic cars.

The fact it caused so much stir is hilarious. It was never ment to be a troll but goddamn if it is now. Also spending 15 grand fixing a bug is hilarious to me but if its something you wanna do, I wouldnt go calling you out for it. To each his own man.

Edit: Content

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 17, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm considering part of that the hours spent. All in, I'll have probably around 8-9k in parts.

I really should have bought someone else's project, but that point is long past.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The Atlantic has an excellent photojournal section, and today they're covering the Dakar rally. Look at Russia go!:black101:

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/01/the-2013-dakar-rally/100441/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like how it looks like the beach is actually flat, so the appearance is of the truck just bounding around like a happy St Bernard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

I like how it looks like the beach is actually flat, so the appearance is of the truck just bounding around like a happy St Bernard.

Well they are sponsored by Red Bull...

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

This, I like. Those tires have just about the right amount of sidewall. Maybe a tiny bit more on the front would be perfect.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you haven't seen the movie, he drives the gently caress out of that car too. I have to wonder how many sets of tires he went through. From what I read, that is actually his personal car used in the movie too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

The fact it caused so much stir is hilarious. It was never ment to be a troll but goddamn if it is now. Also spending 15 grand fixing a bug is hilarious to me but if its something you wanna do, I wouldnt go calling you out for it. To each his own man.

I don't want this to sound snarky or anything but I noticed that it's fallen back to page 3 so I thought I'd mention that we actually have a thread just for cars like some of the ones you've been posting, so you may want to consider posting some things there in the future.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509860

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nah I'm cool with that one here.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I didn't know that the slammed civic thread was the Custom/Hotrod thread.

The best Continental of course is

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 17, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

davebo posted:

I don't want this to sound snarky or anything but I noticed that it's fallen back to page 3 so I thought I'd mention that we actually have a thread just for cars like some of the ones you've been posting, so you may want to consider posting some things there in the future.

Probably because the thread was made as a bid to get rid of a few AI posters.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Preoptopus posted:

I didn't know that the slammed civic thread was the Custom/Hotrod thread.

The best Continental of course is

Your posts? I like them. I fear my lust for a 4th generation Continental will never be sated.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

davebo posted:

Holy poo poo, did you really just equate a bad rear end car on airbags to the poo poo in the hellaflush thread?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

veedubfreak posted:

Holy poo poo, did you really just equate a bad rear end car on airbags to the poo poo in the hellaflush thread?
Well he seemed surprised that one car he posted was taking heat for having huge wheels and being on bags, so I thought it pertinent to mention there's a thread where people appreciate stuff like that. Like I said, I wasn't being snarky about it. I'm sure the people who enjoy that thread would also like cars like that, and stuff he's posted like this:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That BMW is sexy though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

That BMW is sexy though.

It looks like a cartoon, how would that even drive? On anything other than a mathematically perfect flat plane I mean.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

veedubfreak posted:

If you haven't seen the movie, he drives the gently caress out of that car too. I have to wonder how many sets of tires he went through. From what I read, that is actually his personal car used in the movie too.

Most of the cars in the movie are his and he did all the driving too.

Film was made on 2 million budget funded by him and Kristen Bell. Pretty decent one as well.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
:nws:WHY YES THOSE ARE IN FACT NIPPLES, NWS:nws:

All you haters post something.

Also the "stung" vett is a clear photoshop but I need that to be manifested into reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So many ridiculous Arabs in London :allears: