Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

wtftastic posted:

how can a vaccine be homeopathic? :psyduck:

"homeopathic vaccine" generally refers to a nosode, which is a preparation made from tissue from an animal with the disease you are trying to prevent (so tissue from a dog with parvo). This is then diluted like other homeopathic remedies until only the "memory" of the original substance remains. When the patient gets parvo anyway, we are left debating whether it just failed to prevent a disease which is rampant in the area, or whether it was improperly prepared and so actually gave the dog parvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

wtftastic posted:

how can a vaccine be homeopathic? :psyduck:

How can't it be?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dr. Chaco posted:

"homeopathic vaccine" generally refers to a nosode, which is a preparation made from tissue from an animal with the disease you are trying to prevent (so tissue from a dog with parvo). This is then diluted like other homeopathic remedies until only the "memory" of the original substance remains. When the patient gets parvo anyway, we are left debating whether it just failed to prevent a disease which is rampant in the area, or whether it was improperly prepared and so actually gave the dog parvo.

Either way that's a crazy way to prevent an illness. Too bad people don't realize that/ have bought into anti-vaxxing so hard they don't realize that.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

What is the saddest thing? The saddest thing is a retarded man crying because his cat has asthma and he can't take care of it and now it's being euthanised.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

So the newest pet fad to come from the Pacific Northwest (last was Banfield) is Hannah the Pet leasing Society! Created by one of the dudes who made Banfield!

I'm extremely sketched out by the "pet leasing" thing. A monthly fee and they send you food and supplies and take care of vet care (as long as you do it through their currently approved providers and eventually their own hospitals) - I'm willing to bet that as they're owners of the pet, if things look expensive they'll say they're gonna pull the plug unless you buy out the pet and then you pay them to buy the dog and then more to treat it for whatever it has - and if it's an emergency situation, you might even have to stay at the specially sanctioned clinic for care in case the pet can't make it to the next nearest ER center.

I'll also just leave this little gem here... http://www.quantummansite.com/catalog/quantumvet.php They're gonna try to put me out of a job! Those drat extraterrestrials fixing pets through cell phones and neural links! :argh: No really, you need to click this link.

Edit: SUPERCILLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit 2: Quantum Sex - IT'S GRRRRREEAT!!!! Oh god this site is amazing.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 12, 2013

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
From QuantumVet:

quote:

The practice of veterinarian medicine is much like that of traditional medical treatment of humans in that it is generally symptom based treatment and rarely curative.

Where does this idea about medicine keep coming from? It annoys the piss out of me.

Oh man this is the best bit:

quote:

Beware of imposters. Only Portal Access Keys™ (PAKs™) uploaded directly from this site (QuantumMANsite.com) are genuine and effective.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'll also just leave this little gem here... http://www.quantummansite.com/catalog/quantumvet.php They're gonna try to put me out of a job! Those drat extraterrestrials fixing pets through cell phones and neural links! :argh: No really, you need to click this link.

You guys may enjoy this: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/do-you-want-some-quantum-with-that-pseudoscience/

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I totally did, thank you very much.

After reading Yahoo! comment sections I was losing faith in humanity... to see this comment section... ah! The beauty.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

is it too late for a different career path

Dude, vet med is awesome.

Where else would clients come to you with information that they feel makes or breaks the case that consists of...
"My pet psychic said my cat feels it's time to die"
"I've been giving my lab half a bottle of water mouth to mouth to keep up her hydration, is that enough?"
"I know my dog has a puncture wound and everything's swollen and you tell me to give him antibiotics, but I'm going to treat it with these assortment of herbs instead."
"I don't know how she could be pregnant! Her brother wouldn't impregnate her!"
"I don't like feeding my cats commercial food. I feed her spaghetti every day and she's doing great."
"Dude, I was born in the '60s and I haven't been as high as my dog looks right now."
"No Ma'am, just because you breed a purebred JRT and a purebred Maltese together does not mean that the pups are also purebred and this registry is for Rabies, not because they're purebred." (this was a much longer conversation I gave up on/deftly avoided and the front desk handled a lot of the rest)

Or when the tech spells "Purina," "Purena" and I keep thinking that the dog's eating some kind of skin care product.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

Is anyone else applying to vet school during this cycle? I need someone to suffer with during the waiting game. :ohdear:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

sat. posted:

Is anyone else applying to vet school during this cycle? I need someone to suffer with during the waiting game. :ohdear:

Woohoo! Good luck!

Where are you applying?

Have you already applied and are awaiting response, or is this next cycle meaning apply end of the year? If it's the one starting around Fall 2013, would residency application waiting also count? :ohdear:

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I'm currently biting my nails waiting for February 5th. Match day is gonna suck.

When do you guys find out about NAVLE results? The Canadian board is notoriously slow.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Solis posted:

I'm currently biting my nails waiting for February 5th. Match day is gonna suck.

When do you guys find out about NAVLE results? The Canadian board is notoriously slow.

I'm sure you'll rock it!

They got NAVLE results earlier this week.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

Woohoo! Good luck!

Where are you applying?

Have you already applied and are awaiting response, or is this next cycle meaning apply end of the year? If it's the one starting around Fall 2013, would residency application waiting also count? :ohdear:

I applied to Washington State, Michigan State and Western University (top pick since I hail from southern California) for the class of 2017. My application at Western is on 'hold' which they said means they looked at my application but didn't make a decision yet. Definitely better then outright being rejected, but man this is nervewracking. Good luck with your residency application! :woop:

edit: vvvv holy crap!! Grats!

Muscular Typist fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2013

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Enelrahc posted:

I'm sure you'll rock it!

They got NAVLE results earlier this week.

And the day after I post that I find a CVMA envelope waiting for me in the mail! I'm now eligible to be licensed as a vet anywhere in North America and very very happy to not have to write that lovely test ever again.

It's only me here tonight but damned if I'm not gonna crack open the good booze to celebrate.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solis posted:

And the day after I post that I find a CVMA envelope waiting for me in the mail! I'm now eligible to be licensed as a vet anywhere in North America and very very happy to not have to write that lovely test ever again.

It's only me here tonight but damned if I'm not gonna crack open the good booze to celebrate.

wooooo pred and antibiotics for everyonnnnneeeeee

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

wooooo pred and antibiotics for everyonnnnneeeeee

better pred than dead!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Topoisomerase posted:

better pred than dead!

but prednisolone is on back order wtf

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Hey everyone, I'm starting to seriously consider vet school but I had a couple questions I was hoping I could get some advice on. I skimmed the thread but I didn't hit everything so I hope nothing here has been run into the ground already.

First, what kind of holistics should I be looking at? I'm already a member of the med/vet club on campus so I get some volunteer hours from that, and I'm also lined up to start working at the animal shelter this year, but I'm interested in shadowing. As far as that goes, who do I contact and what do I ask? I know a few MDs via school but no actual vets (or techs) so I guess I'm just preparing myself for bemused awkward silences from whoever I do ask.

Second, when should I start looking at vet schools? Should I be doing any kind of specific studying outside of school before I get there? Is there a recommended direction I should consider for my undergrad course load or are general bio major courses fine?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Heyo Revener,

Welcome to the team of insane people. You should start looking at schools before you do anything else. Contact them and find out what requirements they have and how to be a competitive applicant so you can build from there. I believe UF requires a minimum 500 hours of in clinic experience, while others require large animal experience. I don't think your major matters as much as meeting the pre-requisites and showing that you are a well rounded person. If you are looking for shadowing experience, do what I did. Call or write literally every veterinary clinic in your area, tell them your goals and see if they are willing to take you on. I think that most schools like to see depth and breadth, so five years working at the same place will not be as attractive as having multiple (but not superficial) experiences. Depending on your location you may be able to find a great mixed practice to work with. You can hassle a local zoo and see what's up, and go the shelter route as you mentioned before. Anything and everything can help. Most importantly, establish a strong mentor relationship with a professor that you can relate with. Maybe see if you can help them with their research part-time. That way you not only have some research experience under your belt, but you also have a strong letter of recommendation behind you. They can also help you craft your personal statement for your application, which is VERY important.

Just a note of caution (and something that you should really look into before going to veterinary school) about the future of veterinary medicine. The market is on its way to becoming super saturated with veterinarians. This means that jobs will be harder to find, the value of the degree will be diluted, and you will have a harder time paying off loans. The government is constantly changing how graduate school loans are being handled, and have removed some of their support. Essentially, you want to go to the cheapest school possible and accumulate as few loans as possible or you will find yourself in a rather unpleasant situation. If you can research all of that and still say that you want to be a vet, then all the more power to you. Just do not jump into it without being 100% sure that this is the thing for you without weighing costs vs benefits.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
Another benefit of working at multiple clinics or multiple vets at the same clinic is that some schools have specific requirements for the letters of recommendation. I forget which, but one of the ones that I applied to required three total and two of those had to be from veterinarians.

Man all the talk about where the profession is going is really bumming me out. Our dean gave us a depressing lecture sort of updating us on upcoming changes. Practically in the same breath as bragging about how he had increased class size, he started bitching about the AVMA planning to give accreditation to three more schools. Then he flat out told us that we fall below the upcoming remodel on the school's list of priorities. I know their economics are important but dang it is awkward to hear aloud that students are less important. Especially when it is followed by an attempt to fundraise from us.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

YourCreation posted:

If you are looking for shadowing experience, do what I did. Call or write literally every veterinary clinic in your area, tell them your goals and see if they are willing to take you on.

What kind of work should I be prepared for at local clinics?

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Revener posted:

What kind of work should I be prepared for at local clinics?

Expect a lot of really basic work, animal restraint, cleaning and picking up poo. These things will forever be a part of your life if you end up deciding to go into vet med. Different vets may let you do more but that's kind of where everyone starts out.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Exactly what Solis said. You can maximize your time by being pro-active. Keep a journal if that's your thing, or join a great community site like VSPN.org and read up about every case. Watch how the staff interact with their clients. You will see what approaches are effective and what seem strange or awkward. Don't just parrot information - go research it for yourself. I would maybe start with animal behavior so that you have a greater appreciation of what is happening with the animals around you, if only for your own safety. Sophia Yin has some great behavior books for cheap on amazon - check out How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves. The more you learn, the more questions you can ask, the more answers you can get, and the cycle begins again. When I first started out I knew jack poo poo and just eyeballed for a while. Four years later I was putting in central lines and all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Go to every conference you can, especially the local ones. Find out if local referral hospitals run continuing education programs for local clinics and see if they will let you come. Hell, see if you can come by and watch some advanced procedures. You can get to know and be friendly with all of the vets in your local community this way. Multiple weak ties are much more valuable than a few strong ones. It's those weak ties that get you job and experience opportunities later on.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

YourCreation posted:

Go to every conference you can, especially the local ones. Find out if local referral hospitals run continuing education programs for local clinics and see if they will let you come. Hell, see if you can come by and watch some advanced procedures. You can get to know and be friendly with all of the vets in your local community this way. Multiple weak ties are much more valuable than a few strong ones. It's those weak ties that get you job and experience opportunities later on.

I'm actually gonna disagree with this. It's true to some extent but a lot of the time it's the strong local ties that get you connections and the all-important reference. I can think of at least three or four classmates right now who have job offers because they have literally spent years working with the same vet, and come hiring time, they decided to just hold off until that person graduated or maybe even not advertise and just give them the position.

(I'm sure there's more than that, too. This is just people I know well and converse with regularly)

Solis fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 20, 2013

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There's merits to both sides. Creating really strong ties to one clinic can be valuable in that you may get a job afterwards, but cultivating many ties allows you more leeway if that single clinic doesn't have an opening. In addition, you can also work at a clinic more long term during vet school during the summers - that imo is a better job holding thing than being an assistant/tech for several years prior to vet school and then disappearing for 4 years. A place where I worked for years prior to vet school always told me they had plans for me when I got out of school and I kept up regular contact with them thinking that meant a job. When it came time for a job, they had no openings and so didn't offer me a job, and didn't have anything they could give me when I asked.

I personally think seeing different clinics, especially getting exposed to referral as well as general practice, is very valuable for someone getting their feet wet in vet med. If all you see of vet med is the VIP vaccine clinic, then that's what you know. If, however, you help out at the local shelter, with 1-2 local general practices, and occasionally make your way over to the referral centers for the expensive and technical surgeries, then you get a much wider view of vet med and may even know more about what you want to do with your life.

Doing that all at once would kill you. I would say do it in blocks. Personally, I started with a GP for a few years, then for a summer volunteered at a shelter, and then finally did a few years at an academic specialty as a volunteer.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If I ever hear of any of you treating a pancreatitis case with Ciprofloxacin alone, I'm going to find out who you are and come over and hit you over the head.

Edit: This threat also applies to not bagging (at all, no bag, not even a thin lovely bag) parvo cases before putting them in the freezer.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
They always present referral cases in class where it's like, "Dog presented for coughing and was sent home on Baytril" and the entire class is like :stonk:

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

HelloSailorSign posted:

If I ever hear of any of you treating a pancreatitis case with Ciprofloxacin alone, I'm going to find out who you are and come over and hit you over the head.

Edit: This threat also applies to not bagging (at all, no bag, not even a thin lovely bag) parvo cases before putting them in the freezer.

It's okay, I also fast them for 12 days.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Eww, not bagging in general is super gross. What the hell was that person thinking.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Braki posted:

They always present referral cases in class where it's like, "Dog presented for coughing and was sent home on Baytril" and the entire class is like :stonk:

I know, and I always used to think that these kinds of things were more the rarity (or even made up) because I could seriously not fathom where some of these decisions were made... but depending on where you're at... they're not. Eating popsicles during surgery (holding it yourself!)? No problem! The local feed/petstore selling antibiotics to people and their pets but getting around it due to CYA legal technicalities? No problem! Cat hit by car! Dexamethasone IV, stat!

Shnooks posted:

Eww, not bagging in general is super gross. What the hell was that person entire veterinary clinic including veterinarian thinking.

Fixed that (sadly) for you. Where we work is already parvo endemic - it's not like it's rare. They should know better and it's ridiculous.

YourCreation posted:

In a bag or not?

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

YourCreation posted:

At least you don't give them any of those nasty pain meds! They'll never get better if they don't hurt!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Yeah if they get food or pain meds they might be able to move around a bit and that will hurt....something

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

There's actually a push now in our province's College to mandate that pain management be used with all surgeries, instead of how many vets leave it as an option to owners. I'm hoping that this is the first step in getting rid of the horrible attitude some people have towards pain drugs...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It's actually a bit ridiculous how dismissive people of are animals in terms of pain post-op. I definitely feel that all animals need some sort of pain management post op, length and type depending on surgery performed. The sad thing is, though, that at least around here, there are enough people where the :10bux: to get pain meds would make them not neuter/spay their cat/dog or w/e. I had to get used to arguing with people about pain management and having to settle on, "Okay, you watch her overnight, if she seems painful, the pain meds I want to send home will be available to you in the morning" - luckily I'm doing less surgery now (:toot:) so I deal with that less - but pain from ortho disease or whatever people are still pretty dismissive, even in more severe cases. I'd say most of the time they end up calling right when we open asking why their dog is incessantly whining and nothing will calm them down... uh... they're painful. Get your drat meds.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

My favorite is when people take the animal's tramadol and then call trying to get more because the dog is uncomfortable. gently caress off, drugseeker, way to make your poor dog suffer!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Welp, just as I predicted, I failed my rabies titre. Of course I have to fail it because I have a needle phobia and a good titre would just be too good for me.

Good news: I've finalized two externships for fourth year. A behaviour rotation in Arizona (in January of course, so I can escape the cold), and an internal medicine one in Edmonton. I'm so excited already. :3:

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Braki posted:

Welp, just as I predicted, I failed my rabies titre. Of course I have to fail it because I have a needle phobia and a good titre would just be too good for me.

If it makes you feel better, I needed a booster a year or two after my rabies series, and my titer's been fine ever since.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
I hope so! At this point the boosters themselves aren't that bad because I already had 3, and really, they're super tiny and I was able to acclimate and I can handle them kind of ok. The titres are bad, but hopefully those will get better too.

Even though I'm not really a huge orthopedics fan, I ended up taking the elective and in lab we got to fix a femur fracture with an IM pin-ESF tie-in. It was pretty fun and we got to play with power drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

I know, and I always used to think that these kinds of things were more the rarity (or even made up) because I could seriously not fathom where some of these decisions were made... but depending on where you're at... they're not. Eating popsicles during surgery (holding it yourself!)? No problem! The local feed/petstore selling antibiotics to people and their pets but getting around it due to CYA legal technicalities? No problem! Cat hit by car! Dexamethasone IV, stat!

whatever you say MR NEGATIVITY! the super-preggo chihuahua is fine to fly!

• Locked thread