Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The character's head doesn't though, which is hilarious on Miriel as she will wear her witch hat in just about every class she can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Nakar posted:

The character's head doesn't though, which is hilarious on Miriel as she will wear her witch hat in just about every class she can be.

And Donnel will wear a metal pot, which is even better.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It is, yes. You can just pay gold to recruit Streetpass/Spotpass characters if you don't want to risk losing any units in a skirmish.

This is excellent because I'm going to pack my streetpass team with nothing but Vantage, Wrath, and Lethality :shepface:

edit: Pass, Lightning Speed, also got all five Slayer skills on one character.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I went ahead and took a look at the skills list in the OP and drat, it seems like you can really make some devastating units with a little reclassing and some patience. The min/maxer in me is pleased.

Also, a question: does anyone know where to see decent pictures of all the various classes in the game? There's one in the OP for I think the Battle Cleric, but when I went to look on Serenes Forest they had small pictures in ovals and you couldn't see things as clearly.

Not a picture, but here is a class roll (character/class spoilers I suppose):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_41CmPwRQ

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 19, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Terper posted:

http://www.3dscapture.com/

He has money to burn, basically.

welp, I know what I'm getting if I somehow stumble upon a large pile of money!

On topic, if I for some reason chose the girl avatar, would there be a shoehorned love story between her and Chrom? If so I'll stick with the bromance.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

On topic, if I for some reason chose the girl avatar, would there be a shoehorned love story between her and Chrom? If so I'll stick with the bromance.

Only if you choose to support those two. The Avatar can marry any character of the opposite gender.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Only if you get MU and Chrom to an S rank support, which is optional and requires you to specifically choose to do so. FeMU can romance any male character, while MaMU can romance any female character.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

No. Chrom can be paired with the women Avatar, but he doesn't have to be.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
In fact, Female Avatar has one of the lowest priorities with Chrom, so in the event of a support tie most of the other women he can marry will marry him instead.

As long as you don't intentionally seek him out with a female Avatar, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure whoever you do want paired with him has more support points.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Nakar posted:

In fact, Female Avatar has one of the lowest priorities with Chrom, so in the event of a support tie most of the other women he can marry will marry him instead.

As long as you don't intentionally seek him out with a female Avatar, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure whoever you do want paired with him has more support points.

If I remember correctly, only one woman among Chrom's potential wives has lower priority than Female Avatar.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

KnoxZone posted:

Before now I had never even considered buying a 3DS. loving hell.

I want to just empty quote this but I can't.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You know, two days ago I swore I didn't have the money to buy a 3DS to play this game, but all day today I kept thinking that I do have that Amazon gift credit...and there are some games I could trade in...hmm...

What is happening to me

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Nakar posted:

Thief also promotes to two pretty good classes (Assassin and Trickster) with pretty decent skills (Lethality and Acrobatics respectively).

Pass seems like a skill that could be very effective with the right planning, too.

I can't wait for this goddamn game, the demo only made the next two weeks that much harder.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Slate Action posted:

You know, two days ago I swore I didn't have the money to buy a 3DS to play this game, but all day today I kept thinking that I do have that Amazon gift credit...and there are some games I could trade in...hmm...

What is happening to me

The true Fire Emblem begins now. :q:

Also the chat about FeMC and Chrom is a little ironic to me, as while the FeMC actually has the lowest "priority" for Chrom's plot-mandated marriage, I've had at least one person tell me flat-out that, far from feeling "forced", FeMC+Chrom is practically the only way to go as it makes a good portion of the latter half of the story far, far more poignant. It's definitely what I plan to do.

It is very much not mandatory, however.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I do believe Olivia has lowest priority with him though. Unless it's the other way around; I could totally be wrong. Considering how the plot goes though, it makes sense that FeMC is the best choice plotwise though. Also optimal for Lunatic, or so I hear.

e: VV The most depressing thing possible. I like that character ughh.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

SpaceDrake posted:

The true Fire Emblem begins now. :q:

Also the chat about FeMC and Chrom is a little ironic to me, as while the FeMC actually has the lowest "priority" for Chrom's plot-mandated marriage, I've had at least one person tell me flat-out that, far from feeling "forced", FeMC+Chrom is practically the only way to go as it makes a good portion of the latter half of the story far, far more poignant. It's definitely what I plan to do.

It is very much not mandatory, however.

Yeah doing FeMc/Chrome really does seem like a sure way of making certain parts of the plot more special and darkly hilarious.

Snip, yeah probably still too early. Need to stop looking at game plots before they're released in the US

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 19, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm fairly certain the best possible single character results from pairing Chrom with a female Avatar.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is a video game that combines all possible action figure activities: you can pose them dramatically, you can accessorize them with weapons, you put them all on a tiny battlefield and march them around, and you can mash their faces together and declare them married. The high reviews are obvious in hindsight.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Yeah doing FeMc/Chrome really does seem like a sure way of making certain parts of the plot more special and darkly hilarious.

SNIP

Just gunna add a major DONT LOOK AT THIS SPOILER. Really wish I hadn't.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

BrightWing posted:

Just gunna add a major DONT LOOK AT THIS SPOILER. Really wish I hadn't.

At first I thought you were over reacting because it happens in the first 20 minutes, but than I realized he also mentioned something else. :(

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 19, 2013

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Come on guys, the game isn't even out yet there should be no reason for dropping massive spoiler bombs.

edit: I absolutely love the battle scenes. They feel incredibly dynamic to me, especially once you get Dual Strikes going at a consistent rate.
(Especially if you stock both your dudes with Brave weapons and completely wail on the enemy with like 6(!!) attacks in a row :ssh:)
vvvv

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 19, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I appreciate the fair warning on the spoilers, but it really is kind of early to discuss this sort of thing. It really wouldn't hurt to take it easy.

Just beat the demo on hard. Demo owns, game is going to own. Though I did kind of grown at the archer; An unfunny joke dragged on for way too long.

EDIT: Anyone else really like the battle scenes? It feels like the first time since the GBA games that battles looked fun to watch. Not to mention the 3D looks particularly good.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 19, 2013

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Unlucky7 posted:

EDIT: Anyone else really like the battle scenes? It feels like the first time since the GBA games that battles looked fun to watch. Not to mention the 3D looks particularly good.

The animations have an energy that's generally been lacking since the GBA titles. There's a reason there's so many GBA avatars but virtually no Radiance series ones.

On a somewhat similar tack, as a bit of interesting trivia - here's how the various FE titles have sold in Japan over the years. I pulled up/compiled these numbers while doing a bit of posting on NeoGAF.

FE Japan Sales according to Famitsu posted:

20/04/90 [NES] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - 329,000
14/03/92 [NES] Fire Emblem Gaiden - 325,000
21/01/94 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - 776,000
14/05/96 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Bloodlines of the Holy War - 429,763 (498,000 according to other sources)
28/08/99 [SNES] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 158,695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - 345,574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade - 265,286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 246,719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 156,413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 171,924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 252,309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 247,248
19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 453,672

Basically, up until Awakening, 3D-model Fire Emblems always sold poorly, with PoR basically tying within the margin of error with Thracia 776 for worst-selling entry in the series. (Thracia did so bad mostly because it was the last SNES game ever released. Even the comparatively terrible Shadow Dragon DS remake pulled in more sales when it went back to handheld/2D.)

The aesthetics have helped a lot, I suspect. What it does make me (and others) wonder is whether or not future installments will appear on the WiiU at all, as it seems like the franchise has performed far better on handhelds in recent history. The irony being that it would be far easier to replicate the spiffy Awakening interface on the WiiU than it would the original Wii, as you basically have a touchscreen.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 19, 2013

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You know what else owns for gaming and has the functionality of a touch screen? A PC. :kiddo:

edit: it will never happen

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Heavy neutrino posted:

You know what else owns for gaming and has the functionality of a touch screen? A PC. :kiddo:

edit: it will never happen

It won't stop people from saying that, or other poo poo like "Why won't Nintendo make Pokemans for iPhone?", for that matter. No matter how many times it must be mentioned that Nintendo executives would rather suck cocks to fund their new console than to go third party.

SpaceDrake posted:

The animations have an energy that's generally been lacking since the GBA titles. There's a reason there's so many GBA avatars but virtually no Radiance series ones.

Not that I disagree that the PoR animations were generally terrible, but I would think that it is because it is easier to giffify sprites than screenshots for avatars.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 19, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's a Lunatic playthrough of the demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do like how the animations look in this. They're very energetic and intense which really helps the battles feel like... well, battles.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its kind of sad how Path of Radiance sold so poorly, its a great game. I guess the GC wasnt that popular either in Japan?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The animations look great, but that won't stop me from turning them off 30 minutes in to speed things along.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey, is the bundle going to be available on Amazon? Got a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas I still haven't used.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Probably not, Amazon stopped stocking 3DS hardware for whatever reason.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

FrickenMoron posted:

Its kind of sad how Path of Radiance sold so poorly, its a great game. I guess the GC wasnt that popular either in Japan?

I think, but don't quote me on here, that it was at that time that consoles were declining while handhelds were becoming dominant. It might hve played a role.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Iceclaw posted:

I think, but don't quote me on here, that it was at that time that consoles were declining while handhelds were becoming dominant. It might hve played a role.

That hasn't stopped being true. Handhelds are the predominant platform in Japan now; the 3DS, for example, has already outsold the PS3 in Japan. The DS sold very nearly one unit to every household in Japan, going by volume.

The Radiance games actually didn't too too badly, given their systems' market penetration at the time (~3 million units for PoR, and not even that for RD) but they were selling to systems that were no longer dominant. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the 3DS play exclusive host to the next FE game, as well, given how well it's done so far (and the DLC made a killing in Japan, too - over 1.2 million downloads served, and that number comes from months ago).

But yeah, I agree it's kind of sad, but it's understandable - it's what happens when the games are released to a non-dominant system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
One thing that was kind of surprising is that the "Jeigan Decoy" tactic didn't work in the demo. I unequipped Fredrick to do exactly that and if anyone else was in range he was ignored every single time, at least on Hard.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Levantine posted:

One thing that was kind of surprising is that the "Jeigan Decoy" tactic didn't work in the demo. I unequipped Fredrick to do exactly that and if anyone else was in range he was ignored every single time, at least on Hard.

Didn't FE12 change enemy priority to focus on the character they could deal the most damage on? Maybe FE13 did the same thing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Good God, Lunatic is balls hard. I cannot get through round 2 without losing Chrom or Robin yet. I'm pumped for this game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Eddain posted:

Didn't FE12 change enemy priority to focus on the character they could deal the most damage on? Maybe FE13 did the same thing.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they removed "Can't counter-attack" from the AI's priority list. They're now fully suicidal, bent on making you reset by any means necessary.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find that very funny, because it makes the game both easier and harder at the same time. On easier modes, it means your guys get to fight more often, and on harder modes, your guys get to fight more often.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they removed "Can't counter-attack" from the AI's priority list. They're now fully suicidal, bent on making you reset by any means necessary.

Not quite. Like in FE12, they don't consider how much total damage could be dealt to a single unit, only how much damage each individual enemy unit can do. Because of that you can still put a lower-defense unit that can survive one hit in the range of only one enemy to keep them from ganging up on someone who can't take two hits, assuming you're keeping track of enemy order and the unit you're trying to distract moves before the other one that could hit the guy you're protecting. This of course makes aggressive play on Lunatic a lot more manageable.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

To be honest, it probably single handedly makes Lunatic possible; I'm not terribly sure there are merits to a spectacularly stupid AI that can't think past a single step, though. I'm sure IntSys could think of better ways to make the game more difficult than higher numbers.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'm sure IntSys could think of better ways to make the game more difficult than higher numbers.

Have enemies Pair Up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I see, I never really decoyed much in 12 because some of the units you get are really good early on, with MU being the pinnacle of that. I found it more necessary in 10 especially during the Dawn Brigade chapters so that's where I really abused it.

• Locked thread