Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

jwh posted:

I'm wondering if someone could help me understand what the limitations are of self-addresses on ASAs- what I mean is, i have an interface on an ASA, and it seems that when I test with / to that address, it plays by a very different set of (largely implied) rules.

It's annoying.

I got my first ASA in May; it's not a router, it's a firewall with delusions of grandeur. It was quite a shock to learn my quaint notions of traceroutes and extended ping were worthless. I did find that the packet-tracer command fills the otherwise "ping gets through = it works" role quite nicely though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It's just bizarre (and infuriating) that ASA interfaces and addresses play by an entirely different set of rules.

I did discover packet-tracer, which is helpful- though when you see phase 3 denials due to 'implicit rule' and then can't figure out which implicit rule we're talking about, it makes me want to Hulk Smash.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

jwh posted:

It's just bizarre (and infuriating) that ASA interfaces and addresses play by an entirely different set of rules.

I did discover packet-tracer, which is helpful- though when you see phase 3 denials due to 'implicit rule' and then can't figure out which implicit rule we're talking about, it makes me want to Hulk Smash.

Implicit rule means its hitting the end of the access-list and is then subject to permit/deny based on security level.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It seems that, at least in some cases, traffic from interface addresses seems to completely ignore the rulebase- unless i'm wrong.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
After I finish this install I have another one that's been pending for awhile with 5585's and if the indian guy who got them to buy 5585's instead of a Palo Alto or SRX doesn't come through with the config and I need to muck with ASA's I'm going to kill him violently.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
In the DHCP IP Binding table, infinite lease = a statically assigned IP, correct?

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

In the DHCP IP Binding table, infinite lease = a statically assigned IP, correct?

If you restart the equipment you will get a new lease, with new IP. That's bit me in the arse before!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Biggz posted:

If you restart the equipment you will get a new lease, with new IP. That's bit me in the arse before!

No. If you restart the DHCP server then you will lose all the MAC-IP information, then if the device ever restarts, the server will have no way of knowing which MAC corresponded to which IP. Most DHCP systems will give the same IP to the same mac address, unless there are no free IP addresses left, then it will start overwriting expired MAC-IP leases. If you have unlimited lease, then once your scope is exhausted the DHCP server will not give out any additional IPs.

tl;dr do not use unlimited lease.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I don't have any formal Cisco training, but I'm the guy in the shop who knows the most about Cisco, so this is my problem. I'm having a weird issue. I have two Point to Point T1 lines that I'm using as a 3MB WAN link between two of my customers offices. I'll admit right away that I just copied the settings from another customer's multilink config, and tried to make them the same. The problem is I'm getting craploads CRC and input errors on both serial interfaces. AT&T has tested the lines several times and says the problem is customer premise equipment. I called Cisco and they had me perform loopback tests on the WIC cards, and we certified our dmarc extensions with the fancy cable tester we have.

I noticed during the loopback test, that when we only had one T1 line connected and I cleared the counters, errors didn't increment on the serial line that was connected. Also, packet loss on my ping -t dropped off a lot. When I put the original settings back and connected the 2nd T1, the errors began immediately, in the 10000s every minute. I'm thinking there must be something wrong with my config, though the Cisco engineer said that the config shouldn't cause that kind of error.

Here's what I've got on the interfaces:

Main site, Cisco 2911 with a hwic-4t1/e1
code:
!
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
controller T1 0/0/2
 cablelength long 0db
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
 description Branch1
!
controller T1 0/0/3
 cablelength long 0db
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24
 description Branch2
!
interface Multilink1
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
 no keepalive
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
 ppp multilink fragment disable
 no cdp enable
 service-policy output QOS
!
interface Serial0/0/2:0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation ppp
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/0/3:0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation ppp
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
!
Branch site, Cisco 1941 with 2x HWIC-1T Cards
code:
multilink bundle-name authenticated
!
interface Multilink1
 ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
 no keepalive
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
 ppp multilink fragment disable
 no cdp enable
 service-policy output QOS
!
interface Serial0/0/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation ppp
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/1/0
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 encapsulation ppp
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
!
I feel like there's some obvious settings I must be missing here. Is "cablelength long 0db" appropriate for a 100ft Dmarc extension? This is the first WIC card I've where I had to configure controller settings, and I think those are defaults.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

show your 'show controller t1' output.

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
Thanks for the quick response, here's my show controller t1

code:
T1 0/0/0 is up.
  Applique type is Channelized T1
  Cablelength is long 0db
  Description: MotorBank2
  No alarms detected.
  alarm-trigger is not set
  Soaking time: 3, Clearance time: 10
  AIS State:Clear  LOS State:Clear  LOF State:Clear
  Version info FPGA Rev: 08121917, FPGA Type: PRK4
  Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Clock Source is Line.
  CRC Threshold is 320. Reported from firmware  is 320.
  Data in current interval (330 seconds elapsed):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs
  Total Data (last 2 15 minute intervals):
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations,
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
T1 0/0/1 is up.
  Cablelength is long 0db
  Description: NewBraunfels
  No alarms detected.
  alarm-trigger is not set
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Line Code Violations, 0 Path Code Violations,
     0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
T1 0/0/2 is up.
  Cablelength is long 0db
  Description: KYLE
  No alarms detected.
  alarm-trigger is not set
     0 Line Code Violations, 1634 Path Code Violations
     6 Slip Secs, 228 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 330 Unavail Secs
     0 Line Code Violations, 9140 Path Code Violations,
     47 Slip Secs, 1206 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
     0 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 1800 Unavail Secs
T1 0/0/3 is up.
  Cablelength is long 0db
  Description: kyle2
  No alarms detected.
  alarm-trigger is not set
     0 Line Code Violations, 661 Path Code Violations
     4 Slip Secs, 79 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins
     80 Errored Secs, 1 Bursty Err Secs, 79 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs
     0 Line Code Violations, 4121 Path Code Violations,
     30 Slip Secs, 467 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 0 Degraded Mins,
     472 Errored Secs, 3 Bursty Err Secs, 467 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

On the 2911:

code:
controller T1 0/0/2
 clock source internal
!
controller T1 0/0/3
 clock source internal
!
Also, how long is your cable between the CSU and the NIU?

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
It's about a 100ft run on the 2911. On the 1941 we're using 3ft patch cables. All are crimped 568-B, if that matters, and all cables have been certified for Gigabit speeds.

edit: Wow that seems to have helped a lot. I could have sworn that I tried adding that line, but maybe I was trying to add it to the serial interface rather than the controller. I'll let this stew over the weekend, but looks like that might have done it. Thanks for the help!

Cheech Marinade fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 18, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

RabidFurby posted:

It's about a 100ft run on the 2911. On the 1941 we're using 3ft patch cables. All are crimped 568-B, if that matters, and all cables have been certified for Gigabit speeds.

edit: Wow that seems to have helped a lot. I could have sworn that I tried adding that line, but maybe I was trying to add it to the serial interface rather than the controller. I'll let this stew over the weekend, but looks like that might have done it. Thanks for the help!

On any T1 there has to be a clock source to keep sync. Either from the near end or far end, but it has to be there.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

RabidFurby posted:

I recommend setting 'cablelength short' on those t1 controllers as well if the T1s are <133ft.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

then if the device ever restarts, the server will have no way of knowing which MAC corresponded to which IP

Isn't this what I said? In a simplified way.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Biggz posted:

Isn't this what I said? In a simplified way.

The server will store MAC to IP info. Even if the device is restarted. So you'll get the same IP. But if anything ever happens to the DHCP Server then you'll lose all your leases.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

The server will store MAC to IP info. Even if the device is restarted. So you'll get the same IP. But if anything ever happens to the DHCP Server then you'll lose all your leases.

I made the assumption that this was for Cisco devices, and it could very well be different for higher end gear. I've mainly worked on 2800ISR and Catalyst switches. With the 2800s at least, if I just have a DHCP pool with an infite lease, the ISR wont remember the lease through a restart unless I create a manual binding.

pre:
ip dhcp pool whatever
  host address 192.168.1.25 255.255.255.0
  client-identifier 01b7.0813.8811.66
  default-router 192.168.1.1  

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Biggz posted:

I made the assumption that this was for Cisco devices, and it could very well be different for higher end gear. I've mainly worked on 2800ISR and Catalyst switches. With the 2800s at least, if I just have a DHCP pool with an infite lease, the ISR wont remember the lease through a restart unless I create a manual binding.

pre:
ip dhcp pool whatever
  host address 192.168.1.25 255.255.255.0
  client-identifier 01b7.0813.8811.66
  default-router 192.168.1.1  

nooslost(config)#ip dhcp database flash:/dhcp.db

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

ior posted:

nooslost(config)#ip dhcp database flash:/dhcp.db

:aaaaa: (thanks!)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Just swapped a sup720-3bxl with a RSP720-3cxl-10ge. IPv6 here I come!

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
What is some pro kit for a Cisco lab?

I got rid of all the old poo poo and I'm hesitant to go 15.x because everything is licensed and I just want to load Advanced IP Services and call it a day.

Will 3825's run 12.x?

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

teh z0rg posted:

I got rid of all the old poo poo and I'm hesitant to go 15.x because everything is licensed and I just want to load Advanced IP Services and call it a day.

Will 3825's run 12.x?

15.x gear is licensed with RTU licensing (right to use). Just input what you need, accept the EULA, reload and off you go.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

teh z0rg posted:

Will 3825's run 12.x?
Yes, looks like 12.4 -> 15.1 currently.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

teh z0rg posted:

Will 3825's run 12.x?

Licencing models seems to be tied to platform rather than to software version.
Of Cisco's router lineup, its only the newer x900 routers that require license files to activate features as they only have the universal IOS images.
Probably all of the x800 don't have any of the license file requirements even in their 15.x versions.
Basically if the IOS image file is not a universal image, then its not going to require license files.
Curiously the newer 3750s seem to have universal and non universal images in both their 12.2 and 15.0 versions although this might just be so that they can be compatibly stacked with older 3750s. Even then I've gotten 3750 stacks working with one 3750 with a universal image and an IP base license and the other with an IP base image.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

chestnut santabag posted:

Licencing models seems to be tied to platform rather than to software version.
Of Cisco's router lineup, its only the newer x900 routers that require license files to activate features as they only have the universal IOS images.
Probably all of the x800 don't have any of the license file requirements even in their 15.x versions.
Basically if the IOS image file is not a universal image, then its not going to require license files.
Curiously the newer 3750s seem to have universal and non universal images in both their 12.2 and 15.0 versions although this might just be so that they can be compatibly stacked with older 3750s. Even then I've gotten 3750 stacks working with one 3750 with a universal image and an IP base license and the other with an IP base image.

None of these require license codes/files anymore (not even the universal ones). Read up on RTU licensing.

ior posted:

15.x gear is licensed with RTU licensing (right to use). Just input what you need, accept the EULA, reload and off you go.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
Cool thanks. It's amazing what you can get on Ebay nowadays.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So what are you choosing for your gear? I've got a few 1800's some 2600's a couple of 3560's and a couple of 3550's and 2950's.

Good enough to run frame relay, but i want to get back into Service Provider design. Enterprise switching/routing is boring as gently caress. Anyone have any good connections for ISPs I should look at?

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
I'm running JUNOS in the core on an M7i split into 16 routers via logical-systems. The ciscos will be primarily edge along with some SRX and other things. I'm simply looking to replace my 2691s with some 38xx devices maybe to go along with my 2811 with CME. I have a 3550 and need to get two more switches since I gave my 2950s away. I'm thinking maybe another 3550 and an EX2200. I wish Juniper would push virtual chassis to the 2200 series even if only in a limited format with say 2 uplinks dedicated to VCP. I can't justify the price of EX4200's in a lab just for VC.

Then I swap out my DL360g5 with a DL380G6 with two 6 core xeons and BOOM. Done with the lab for a few more years. I'd like to drop in a small Netapp but I have no idea where to even start with that.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Does anyone have any info on the 3850 Catalyst Switches yet?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Powercrazy posted:

Enterprise switching/routing is boring as gently caress.
As someone who runs an enterprise wan, this is a good thing. I literally add the site to ospf area 0, and move on with my life.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

adorai posted:

As someone who runs an enterprise wan, this is a good thing. I literally add the site to ospf area 0, and move on with my life.

I setup an MPLS cloud for a shared customer services cloud. It was really cool and I got to actually play with BGP_VPN. Learn a lot about VRF, and other SP cloud technologies. Maybe I'll call up my old account team at AT&T.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

nzspambot posted:

Does anyone have any info on the 3850 Catalyst Switches yet?

If they do it is under NDA, wait until Cisco live london. :cop:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I work for an electronics recycler and we had a 7604 with two supervisors and an x6148a fall into our laps recently. How do I get this thing to route internet through the 6148 just so I can test the ports? Right now I just get solid orange lights on all the 6148's ports no matter what I connect, but it passes the minimal diagnostics and appears to be available through the console. I'm pretty much of a Cisco neophyte so any help would be appreciated.

running-config:
code:
Router#show running-config
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 4713 bytes
!
upgrade fpd auto
version 12.2
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
service counters max age 10
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
!
!
!
mls ip multicast flow-stat-timer 9
no mls flow ip
no mls flow ipv6
no mls acl tcam share-global
mls cef error action freeze
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
redundancy
 keepalive-enable
 mode sso
 main-cpu
  auto-sync running-config
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree extend system-id
system flowcontrol bus auto
diagnostic cns publish cisco.cns.device.diag_results
diagnostic cns subscribe cisco.cns.device.diag_commands
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
vlan access-log ratelimit 2000
!
!
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 no ip address
 shutdown
#snip a whole bunch of shutdown ports
interface GigabitEthernet3/48
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
 shutdown
!
ip classless
!
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
!
!
control-plane
!
!
dial-peer cor custom
!
!
!
!
line con 0
line vty 0 4
 login
 transport input lat pad udptn telnet rlogin ssh
!
end

Router#
Router#
Router#
Router#

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

TheQat posted:

I work for an electronics recycler and we had a 7604 with two supervisors and an x6148a fall into our laps recently. How do I get this thing to route internet through the 6148 just so I can test the ports? Right now I just get solid orange lights on all the 6148's ports no matter what I connect, but it passes the minimal diagnostics and appears to be available through the console. I'm pretty much of a Cisco neophyte so any help would be appreciated.

conf t
int range gig1/1 - 48, gig2/1 - 48, gig3/1 - 48
no shut
exit
exit
wr

Now its a big stupid switch.

Also, give us the output of "show mod" :)

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ior posted:

conf t
int range gig1/1 - 48, gig2/1 - 48, gig3/1 - 48
no shut
exit
exit
wr

Now its a big stupid switch.

Also, give us the output of "show mod" :)

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly.

Show mod was
code:
show mod
Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
  1    9  Supervisor Engine 32 8GE (Active)      WS-SUP32-GE-3B     SAL1101D2V2
  2    9  Supervisor Engine 32 8GE (Hot)         WS-SUP32-GE-3B     SAL1101D564
  3   48  48-port 10/100/1000 RJ45 EtherModule   WS-X6148A-GE-TX    SAL1102DHKW

Mod MAC addresses                       Hw    Fw           Sw           Status
--- ---------------------------------- ------ ------------ ------------ -------
  1  0019.5568.7c5c to 0019.5568.7c67   4.5   12.2(18r)SX2 12.2(33)SRA2 Ok
  2  0017.e018.797a to 0017.e018.7985   4.5   12.2(18r)SX2 12.2(33)SRA2 Ok
  3  001a.a1a2.a1a0 to 001a.a1a2.a1cf   1.5   8.4(1)       8.6(0.259)CA Ok

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model              Serial       Hw     Status
---- --------------------------- ------------------ ----------- ------- -------
  1  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3B       SAL1039329W  2.3    Ok
  1  Cat6k MSFC 2A daughterboard WS-F6K-MSFC2A      SAL10392NZU  3.1    Ok
  2  Policy Feature Card 3       WS-F6K-PFC3B       SAL1103DZ5R  2.3    Ok
  2  Cat6k MSFC 2A daughterboard WS-F6K-MSFC2A      SAL1052CCA1  3.1    Ok

Mod  Online Diag Status
---- -------------------
  1  Pass
  2  Pass
  3  Pass
In case you're still interested :)

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
Someone sell me a 6503-E with 720 sup.

on the cheap.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I got this thread going: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529511

About my Mars PSU if you fellas have a moment.

We're also having some issues with traffic from our VOIP vlan hitting some of our data vlan members. Run wireshark on my PC's NIC and I can see sip traffic, handshakes, phone numbers, etc. We're thinking it has to do with all of our trunks on this network using the data vlan as it's native trunk and that this voip traffic is bleeding over. Cisco seems to agree.

Would the solution to this resolve by peforming a switchport trunk native vlan # on each trunk with # being a VLAN not in use? Currently no trunk is provisioned like this so I assume it's native vlan is either our data vlan or vlan 1. Would each trunk need it's own native VLAN or could each trunk use the same? Say, create VLAN 99 for all of them or 99, 100, 101, etc for each trunk on the network?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

teh z0rg posted:

I wish Juniper would push virtual chassis to the 2200 series even if only in a limited format with say 2 uplinks dedicated to VCP. I can't justify the price of EX4200's in a lab just for VC.

The latest JUNOS build allows you to make a VC of up to 4x EX2200 switches, fyi. You pick how many gig ports to use as uplink ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

madsushi posted:

The latest JUNOS build allows you to make a VC of up to 4x EX2200 switches, fyi. You pick how many gig ports to use as uplink ports.

No poo poo? I wonder why they don't advertise it.

WELP. Looks like im going EX2200 in lab.