Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I would drink lots of water, rest, AND call the dr just in case. My dr told me it's not time to call unless they're 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute each for an hour, but if you hadn't been having a lot of BH prior it's probably worth calling to check just in case. I hope you're feeling better soon, I've been having BH since 20 weeks, and they've recently started getting really uncomfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When I was close to the end of my pregnancy, lots of walking would give me strong BH contractions. As soon as I'd stop walking, they'd disappear fast.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Unrelated to the current line of discussion, but I wanted to share a bit of insight I had this weekend:

Two cell phones on speaker mode, one mic-muted, make an excellent baby monitor.

My wife and I were at a retreat thing for her work, and while we did bring the baby monitor, it wouldn't even come close to reaching from our room to the hotel lobby where all the fun was being had. Instead of requiring one of us to miss out and stay in the room, I started a phone call between us, put both phones on speaker, left one in the room next to the crib, and muted the mic on the other and took it with us as a receiver. It worked great, and range/multiple walls/etc were no problem at all. Baby got to go to bed at her normal time, mom and dad still got to have fun and play games with friends, worry-free. So there you go, baby tip #438!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Clever, as long as there's not multiple flights of stairs or elevators in between me and the baby. If I heard bad things happen that would be a long, stressful run.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, sure, I wouldn't say leave your baby that far away under certain circumstances. In our case, she's not even crawling yet, and was safely tucked away in a deep crib, so the worst she could do is...cry because she woke up for no reason, I guess. There just wasn't anything for her to get into trouble with. She did wake up once, I went up to reset her (usually just involves sticking her pacifier back in) and it was all fine. If the kid was old enough to get up and move around the room or you didn't have a crib, of course it'd be a different story.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yea, that's not really something I'd advocate. When we went to my husband's company's christmas party we just took the baby with us. His coworkers loved meeting the baby. Once the baby started getting fussy, I immediately took him out of the area to calm him down and then later I took him to our hotel room (everything was in the hotel much like your situation) and chilled with him there while watching some TV. It wasn't really a sacrifice, just something you do when you're a parent.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bad Munki posted:

Well, sure, I wouldn't say leave your baby that far away under certain circumstances. In our case, she's not even crawling yet, and was safely tucked away in a deep crib, so the worst she could do is...cry because she woke up for no reason, I guess. There just wasn't anything for her to get into trouble with. She did wake up once, I went up to reset her (usually just involves sticking her pacifier back in) and it was all fine. If the kid was old enough to get up and move around the room or you didn't have a crib, of course it'd be a different story.

I'm not sure I would share that tip with people. You might not get looked on kindly by child protective agencies. You should probably just hire a babysitter. What if the call had dropped? What if a housekeeper came calling? Could you get back to the room before they went inside and saw your child alone and unsupervised?

The likelihood of something bad happening seems small but I don't think it's worth it. Just get a babysitter.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
God forbid the fire alarm goes off and you have to try to go up stairs while everyone's going down. Or something happens to both of you and no one knows that you had a child in your room.

Yeah I would just stay in the room, too many bad things could possibly happen to make that even a remotely good idea.

Next time, just get a babysitter and leave the child at home.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Babysitters aren't always an option: this was an out-of-town multi-day trip and we have nobody to take her in such a case, not to mention that we wanted her there. As for the call dropping, we were looking at it pretty drat often, probably close to once every minute or so. The one time I went up there, it took about a 20 second trip. Housekeeping was unlikely thanks to the do not disturb sign and the fact that this was all late in the evening. We did have the baby with us until she was unstoppably fussy for being up well past her bed time. It's not like we locked her up in there and just hoped she'd entertain herself: this was to put her to bed for the night, a baby that sleeps through the night all night every night without fail. For that matter, the one time I did go to check on her, she'd already gone back to sleep before I even got there, if she was ever even awake at all. The alternative would be to have someone sitting there while she slept, and knowing my child the way I do, a person there doing anything but sitting silently in the darkness would have hindered her sleep more than anything.

Anyhow, I'm sure we could bicker about it till the cows come home. The point still stands: you CAN use a couple cell phones as a baby monitor in a pinch. Whether you like our use of them as such isn't really relevant to that fact.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

You might not get looked on kindly by child protective agencies.

Ha, they must really freak out when people leave the room with nothing but a baby monitor then! One time, I actually went outside and mowed the lawn while she napped, and all I had was that monitor...I'm not even sure it reaches to the back of the yard! Best call the po-po. :downs:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 21, 2013

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bad Munki posted:

Ha, they must really freak out when people leave the room with nothing but a baby monitor then! One time, I actually went outside and mowed the lawn while she napped, and all I had was that monitor...I'm not even sure it reaches to the back of the yard! Best call the po-po. :downs:

Leaving your baby in a hotel room unsupervised is exactly the same as leaving them in your house while you're in your yard, you're totally right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, it's not: while mowing the yard, it would actually take me LONGER to notice something was wrong via the monitor and get back into the house to see what was going on. Also, if the house caught fire in my absence, the flames would spread MUCH further before I noticed as compared to being in a hotel, where the whole building would flip out at the first sign of trouble in any room.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
A friend of mine just had a baby (5 days old) and has asked for more swaddling blankets. Other than buying flannel and hemming it myself, what are the favorite swaddlers in here? She said at least 32" was needed.

Also, while I'm heading over there, I plan to take disposable plates/napkins/silverware and some food. What kinds of food would have been most useful to you immediately after getting home from the hospital? I've also found over and over that the most helpful thing is to hand over the stuff, coo over the baby, and get the hell out of dodge. Alternately, only stay if I can do something useful like start a load of laundry, put the food I cooked in the oven and set the table, start the dishwasher, etc. Which of these is a better option?

x-posting to the parenting thread.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Valdara posted:

A friend of mine just had a baby (5 days old) and has asked for more swaddling blankets. Other than buying flannel and hemming it myself, what are the favorite swaddlers in here? She said at least 32" was needed.

The aden + anais ones are amazing. You can get them a little less expensively at Target.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Leaving your baby in a hotel room unsupervised is exactly the same as leaving them in your house while you're in your yard, you're totally right.

No, and it isn't 100% ideal because having your baby in your line of sight is always more ideal than not. But seriously, it was a one time thing and I honestly don't think it is quite as horrible as everyone is making it out to be :shobon: I wouldn't really recommend it though..

I probably wouldn't do it just because I'm a worrier and I'd never feel comfortable leaving my baby OR child in a hotel room- I hate even doing it if I'm traveling with one of my dogs.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Greycious posted:

No, and it isn't 100% ideal because having your baby in your line of sight is always more ideal than not. But seriously, it was a one time thing and I honestly don't think it is quite as horrible as everyone is making it out to be :shobon: I wouldn't really recommend it though..

I probably wouldn't do it just because I'm a worrier and I'd never feel comfortable leaving my baby OR child in a hotel room- I hate even doing it if I'm traveling with one of my dogs.

Yeah it's probably illegal too since most states want your child to be 12 before you leave them alone. There have been people arrested and charged with child neglect for this very thing so snicker at my suggestion all you want, man. Google 'child left alone in hotel room'.

I said it was unlikely anything bad would happen but seriously it's a stupid move when you could just get a babysitter or one of the adults could stay in the room. Yeah having kids is inconvenient sometimes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't think anyone's snickering. Anyhow, I'm sure people have been arrested for such things, but I would say it happens 100% of the time due to gross negligence, people going above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being dumb as poo poo. Locking a kid in a cabinet or unplugging the phone and heading out on the town to get drunk or whatever. People also get arrested and charged with neglect when they keep their kids in their home, too.

You also keep assuming a babysitter was an option (it wasn't) and that having someone sitting there in the room was reasonable (trust me: with her, it's not.) So I guess sit in the hallway outside the room? :)

I think the key would be what constitutes "leaving a child alone." Similarly, many cities have leash laws for dogs, but you don't actually have to have your dog literally leashed as long as you can reasonably exert control via, say, spoken commands. I would argue that my child wasn't left unattended any more than she is right now, upstairs in her crib. For the sake of argument, I suppose it bears pointing out that the room was a less than 100' walk away. If the room was on the 15th floor or something, that's an entirely different situation, obviously.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 21, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2017

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I agree about the a & a swaddle. I use the original muslin ones and they work great for swaddling. They're a little expensive, but they're the only ones that work well for swaddling. Others I tried are either too small or too thick or unravel easily. By that I mean other brands.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I'll most likely be finding out the baby's sex this week, I'm very excited but I'm pretty nervous too.

My mom and I both think it is a girl. I just have this feeling it's a girl, I've had it from pretty early on. I'm starting to get a little worried that if it isn't a girl I'll be a little..confused for a couple days. I've been trying not to get it so stuck in my head that it is one sex or the other but I just can't seem to shake that it is in fact a girl. :confused:

Has anyone else felt like they just knew the babies sex like that? And...if you were right or wrong? I feel so dumb for getting so set on thinking it was one or the other. It just sort of happened :shobon:

Also, I'm nervous for the anatomy scan just because I'm afraid they will find something wrong.

I've been having bad dreams about nursing the baby, of all things. I guess I'm scared it just won't work out since I know that it happens.

I'm definitely going to want to be able to pump and let others bottle feed the baby as needed so I can go out places and leave baby with a caretaker. I put Breastflow bottles on my registry/wishlist - Does anyone have any opinions about them? reviews on amazon seem to say they break and leak a lot. I guess I don't care that much about having to replace the nipples often, I just want to avoid nipple confusion so I can breastfeed as well.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

Question - how many of you ladies actually went into labor between 40 and 41 weeks? I have a baby shower planned for 40 weeks 4 days and I'm just curious the chances of me going into labor near/on that day. I'm not too concerned, I'm just hopeful that I'm not miserably pregnant there

I gave birth at 40 weeks 11 days last time. At 40 weeks 4 days I was pretty tired, to be honest. Most I did that far along was go grocery shopping or lunch with a couple of friends. And that made me need a nap afterwards ;p

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My gut instinct was wrong with both of my kids. ;) Once you actually see the baby on the scan it may be different. At that point I didn't care, but it does affect some people more than others.

Greycious posted:

I'm definitely going to want to be able to pump and let others bottle feed the baby as needed so I can go out places and leave baby with a caretaker. I put Breastflow bottles on my registry/wishlist - Does anyone have any opinions about them? reviews on amazon seem to say they break and leak a lot. I guess I don't care that much about having to replace the nipples often, I just want to avoid nipple confusion so I can breastfeed as well.

Honestly with any bottle it's going to be something you're going to want to try various types of. I'd recommend buying 2 packs of various brands (or even singles) if you know you'll be bottle feeding. I am extremely lucky that both of my kids would take ANY type of bottle (both which were breastfed) but that is not the norm. And early on my son was hit or miss on certain brands.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Greycious posted:

Like Bamzilla says, you're probably going to want to try different ones to determine which one your baby takes to. That being said, I used Breastflow bottles for a while and my experience was that leaking was always due to overtightening, so if you do end up going with them and you find there's leakage problems, take a look at how tightly you're cranking down on the plastic ring and try giving it a lighter touch the next time.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Lullabee posted:

Question - how many of you ladies actually went into labor between 40 and 41 weeks? I have a baby shower planned for 40 weeks 4 days and I'm just curious the chances of me going into labor near/on that day. I'm not too concerned, I'm just hopeful that I'm not miserably pregnant there - plus they're going to have a TON of food (it's being thrown at my fiance's work and there's a chance of having around 80 people there...) and I really want to indulge, and can't with GD. I'm also working on not freaking out - because I'll either be SUPER pregnant or have a REALLY young baby at it. While they're all mothers, and know enough that we're going to play the 'look but don't get too close/touch' game with him if he's here, it's still a lot of people. But luckily it'll be during business hours, so it's not going to be all of them all at once. They'll be running in and out to do their jobs. I'll also be wearing him if he's here by then. That should be fine, right? I'm just a first time mom that overly worries about everything.

I went into labor at 40+5 (first time pregnancy).

Of course you should follow your doctor's recommendations but you should be able to indulge a bit at the shower (should you still be pregnant then). I had GD during my pregnancy and my doc was okay with me indulging a little bit for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. The key is not going crazy and eating four cupcakes, a bowlful of chips, or anything outrageous like that; and making sure it is just this one meal, not a "one cheater meal every other day is fine" mentality. Elevated blood sugar after one meal (this shower) is not going to magically make your child a 12 pound monster baby.

If your goon baby HAS arrived by the shower, baby wearing will work wonders. Newborn E and I went for walks everyday with him in a wrap and no one ever tried to touch him. There is something about needing to stick their face and hands in the area of your chest that slows down unwanted baby grabbing.

Good luck and if all else fails, people are really accommodating with any-day-now pregnant women and brand-new mothers. So if your husband goes without you (with the excuse of "she is tired/dealing with the baby") everyone should be understanding.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lullabee posted:

Also, yeah walking sets off my BH like crazy. Question - how many of you ladies actually went into labor between 40 and 41 weeks? I have a baby shower planned for 40 weeks 4 days and I'm just curious the chances of me going into labor near/on that day. I'm not too concerned, I'm just hopeful that I'm not miserably pregnant there - plus they're going to have a TON of food (it's being thrown at my fiance's work and there's a chance of having around 80 people there...) and I really want to indulge, and can't with GD. I'm also working on not freaking out - because I'll either be SUPER pregnant or have a REALLY young baby at it. While they're all mothers, and know enough that we're going to play the 'look but don't get too close/touch' game with him if he's here, it's still a lot of people. But luckily it'll be during business hours, so it's not going to be all of them all at once. They'll be running in and out to do their jobs. I'll also be wearing him if he's here by then. That should be fine, right? I'm just a first time mom that overly worries about everything.

I went into labor at 40 weeks 2 days I think (give or take a day). Honestly, a baby shower at 40 weeks 4 days isn't the best idea. There's a good chance you could completely miss it. Even if you've just had the baby, you really might not be in the mood to go. Don't expect to get any sleep the first several days, your hormones are going to be freaking nuts, you're going to be bleeding a lot more than you expect and sore. You're not suppose to use the stairs for a while if you can help it. I handled my post birth pretty well and wasn't in a lot of pain, but I still only went down and up the stairs in my house maybe once a day at the most for the first week. There's also the scenario of if you have a c section, you'll be even more limited and possibly still at the hospital. On top of all that, if you have a newborn, you might not even want to be out like that because you might want to spend as much time as you want bonding and all that stuff.

Edit: just so you know, sometimes babies don't like to be worn at first. It took a good week or so of trying a little bit more a day before mine was totally comfortable with it.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 21, 2013

Cinderella
Feb 7, 2007
Sitting here reading all this baby-related talk while thinking "swaddling..? Tummy...time?" :supaburn:

I'm still really early on and it doesn't feel real yet, but the prospect of being a first-time mom (:supaburn:) with no knowledge of day-to-day baby related things is incredibly intimidating... Part of me just hopes instinct will take over at some point and that I can absorb all this information instantly.

Also as a side note, my husband is moving to a new company, and they give paid time off for both new dad's and mom's...
In my current job I am allowed up to one year leave for child birth and taking care of the newborn. Normally, people here leave 1-2 months before they are due, then spend the rest of the time at home with the baby before they come back. I also get around 6-7k USD at the time of birth through my insurance at my company, but no pay check in the meantime (at least I think- I might get like 40% pay or something? I should check this out maybe :downs: ).

What would be the best way to take advantage of this amount of time we can both spend with our child? I am hearing how tough newborns are, so would it be a huge advantage to have my partner with me the first few months, or so should I stay at home with the baby for 3 months, then let him take over for 3 months? I am interested in seeing other people's input!

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

I don't think anyone's snickering. Anyhow, I'm sure people have been arrested for such things, but I would say it happens 100% of the time due to gross negligence, people going above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to being dumb as poo poo. Locking a kid in a cabinet or unplugging the phone and heading out on the town to get drunk or whatever. People also get arrested and charged with neglect when they keep their kids in their home, too.

You also keep assuming a babysitter was an option (it wasn't) and that having someone sitting there in the room was reasonable (trust me: with her, it's not.) So I guess sit in the hallway outside the room? :)

I think the key would be what constitutes "leaving a child alone." Similarly, many cities have leash laws for dogs, but you don't actually have to have your dog literally leashed as long as you can reasonably exert control via, say, spoken commands. I would argue that my child wasn't left unattended any more than she is right now, upstairs in her crib. For the sake of argument, I suppose it bears pointing out that the room was a less than 100' walk away. If the room was on the 15th floor or something, that's an entirely different situation, obviously.

Stop posting. Just stop. However you want to justify what lovely choices you make don't go around sharing them like they're some amazing parenting fact where other people might try it with terrible results.

quote:

Question - how many of you ladies actually went into labor between 40 and 41 weeks? I have a baby shower planned for 40 weeks 4 days and I'm just curious the chances of me going into labor near/on that day.

I went 40 weeks 3 days. I probably would have gone longer had I not taken a 5km hike the day before I had her to get things kick started though because I never had anything happen till after that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Lullabee, who is planning that party? It almost seems like bad etiquette to hold it so close to your due date. They had a long time to get it together. I think 7 or 8 months along is about right. For one thing, you won't be enjoying the food even if you're not in labor because at 40 weeks your baby is taking up all the room. You can barely eat anything by that point, just little bits at a time. Ugh, the thought of getting being at a party at 40 weeks pregnant just makes me shudder. I would have been miserable.

If the baby has already been born - people really vary on these things but I did not want my newborns at a party in the first couple of weeks. I did get out for really small outings like walking with a stroller around the block, but a party would have stressed me out to no end. It's not just the baby, you're recovering as well, dealing with post-partum bleeding, and it's not like you're up on your sleep.

To answer your question though, for both my kids I was induced at 40+1 day - however, both times I was already in labor and dilating, they just had reasons to want to get the ball rolling.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Greycious posted:

My mom and I both think it is a girl. I just have this feeling it's a girl, I've had it from pretty early on. I'm starting to get a little worried that if it isn't a girl I'll be a little..confused for a couple days. I've been trying not to get it so stuck in my head that it is one sex or the other but I just can't seem to shake that it is in fact a girl. :confused:

Has anyone else felt like they just knew the babies sex like that? And...if you were right or wrong? I feel so dumb for getting so set on thinking it was one or the other. It just sort of happened :shobon:

I didn't find out the sex at any of my scans and went for the surprise package. Almost everyone thought I knew what it was and just wasn't telling, when they asked what it was I'd just reply with "You'll know when I know. *shrug* "
I didn't think it was one or the other, every time I went shopping I'd veer toward the different areas of the stores, one day girl stuff the next boy.

I did have a dream that I had a little boy and that his father had absolutely no genetic input whatsoever, which funnily enough is similar to what happened. The only thing we can really tell that Soren got from his father is his eyes (shape but not colour) and his long monkey toes.

I also dreamt that I had a girl and my little girl dog was very annoyed because she wasn't my 'little baby girl' anymore.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Greycious posted:

Me :hfive: Also girl. I had an incredibly vivid dreams some years back where I "met" my future daughter in a wonderful house filled with family and friends, both living and those who'd passed away, where I after a while felt that I had to wake up now, so I said good-bye to everyone, and lastly my daughter, and I started crying, and she hugged me and told me "Don't worry, mum, we'll meet again!" And then I woke up all :aaaaa:

And I've had several girl dreams now after I got pregnant, and just have a...feeling of a girl. But I've got nothing to base it on what so ever, so I'm very curious now as to whether my subconscious is on to something, or completely clueless.

I haven't got my gender/anatomy-ultrasound scheduled yet because of a medical/postal gently caress-up, but hopefully I'll get it next week.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lullabee posted:

Question - how many of you ladies actually went into labor between 40 and 41 weeks?

First baby I went into labour at 41 weeks, second at 37+5 and third I was induced at 41 weeks. I can't remember how I felt physically, just that I was really really sick of being pregnant by that point.

Greycious posted:

I was convinced this baby would be a boy, completely and utterly sure and at the 20 week scan they said they were pretty sure it's a girl. But I think this was more of a reaction to all the people telling me after 3 boys I must be desperate for a girl and I hated the thought that if I had another boy everyone would be making sympathetic faces and saying 'ah well, nevermind' (which happened with boy number 3).

Cinderella posted:

Sitting here reading all this baby-related talk while thinking "swaddling..? Tummy...time?" :supaburn:

I'm still really early on and it doesn't feel real yet, but the prospect of being a first-time mom (:supaburn:) with no knowledge of day-to-day baby related things is incredibly intimidating... Part of me just hopes instinct will take over at some point and that I can absorb all this information instantly.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, even when you've had kids before the rules suddenly change and something that was the norm (e.g. starting solids automatically at 4 months) becomes a big no no a couple of years later. With my older kids I'd never even heard of tummy time, it just wasn't a thing back then.

As far as the working thing is concerned, if you don't have to worry about eaking out parental leave for as long as possible to avoid nursery costs having both of you at home for the first few months sounds lovely.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Cinderella posted:

I liked Baby 411 for day-to-day advice! I don't think I've cracked it since month 3, but I poured over it during pregnancy and it made me feel a lot more prepared :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lullabee posted:

I'm putting money on still being pregnant by then - my GD is well controlled with diet/exercise and he's not measuring ahead by any means, so I doubt they'll induce me early. Plus my mother went 2 weeks over with all of us. My siblings came naturally, they had to force me out. I was just curious how often it happened to people I could actually ask and not just a statistic.

Don't bank on going overdue based on your mom's experience. All 3 of us were 2 weeks late & my mom was induced for one of my brothers. I went at 38+4 with Archer measuring normally & I wasn't even having regular BH.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

GoreJess posted:

Don't bank on going overdue based on your mom's experience. All 3 of us were 2 weeks late & my mom was induced for one of my brothers. I went at 38+4 with Archer measuring normally & I wasn't even having regular BH.

Yup. I was an overdue baby, my husband was an overdue baby (by 2 weeks!) and my daughter came 39w4d my son came at 37 weeks. You (Lullabee) also have GD so you're higher risk if you go past your due date. So that's definitely another thing to consider.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 21, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kubricize posted:

Stop posting. Just stop. However you want to justify what lovely choices you make don't go around sharing them like they're some amazing parenting fact where other people might try it with terrible results.
Okay, you're right, the original point of the whole thing doesn't stand at all.

:siren: PLEASE NOTE :siren: two cell phones will NEVER EVER work as an impromptu baby monitor should you find you need one in whatever situation you are in! :downs:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
My wife and I have been married almost 2 years after dating a while and knowing each other for over 10 years. I've finally gotten the baby bug and we've discussed the possibility of having a child.

One thing that's standing in the way is my wife is very anxious about having children. She loves kids, has raised a nephew from birth while her sister finished college, and knows she'd be a great mother. We went to half priced books to find any books on pregnancy anxiety, but they are all about being anxious DURING pregnancy. What we would like to find is a book for the time before that. Getting over the getting pregnant anxiety. She's worried about the feeling of having something grow in her, or how her body will change, if she'll gain weight, etc.

Most books start with "Congrats on being pregnant!" which skips the part we're struggling with. Does anyone have any recommendations on books, or sites to deal with this issue for us?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Lullabee posted:

I'm putting money on still being pregnant by then - my GD is well controlled with diet/exercise and he's not measuring ahead by any means, so I doubt they'll induce me early. Plus my mother went 2 weeks over with all of us. My siblings came naturally, they had to force me out. I was just curious how often it happened to people I could actually ask and not just a statistic.

I was the same as you - well-controlled GD, measuring on schedule, etc and my OB started offering an induction at 38 weeks. Though the risk is small in controlled and treated GD, the placenta in GD patients degrades more quickly and has imperfections that can lead to complications that include stillbirth. I declined an early induction and had to have some extra tests (BPP, non-stress tests) those last couple weeks. I was eventually induced at 40+4 and I had to fight to go that long, but my OB didn't want me to get to 41, and my BP was up too.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Cinderella posted:

All first-time parents feel like this. You leave the hospital thinking, "Really? You're letting me leave here with sole responsibility for this tiny thing?"

You will receive advice from various quarters, some of it contradictory, but you will piece things together as you go along. People get better at parenting as they go on - better at reading their baby and knowing what's good for them, and generally more confident in themselves.

Think of it as a scary and arduous but incredibly rewarding adventure which takes a while to settle into.

quote:

Also as a side note, my husband is moving to a new company, and they give paid time off for both new dad's and mom's...
In my current job I am allowed up to one year leave for child birth and taking care of the newborn. Normally, people here leave 1-2 months before they are due, then spend the rest of the time at home with the baby before they come back. I also get around 6-7k USD at the time of birth through my insurance at my company, but no pay check in the meantime (at least I think- I might get like 40% pay or something? I should check this out maybe :downs: ).

What would be the best way to take advantage of this amount of time we can both spend with our child? I am hearing how tough newborns are, so would it be a huge advantage to have my partner with me the first few months, or so should I stay at home with the baby for 3 months, then let him take over for 3 months? I am interested in seeing other people's input!

My advice would be to have your husband with you the first few months. The first three months are the most challenging, partly because of the finding your feet thing, and partly because your baby is still finding its feet too. This is when your baby will be waking up most often, when it will be most vulnerable to colic, and when you will be at your most exhausted. It will help immensely to have your husband around to look after you, make you food, watch and comfort the baby while you grab some much-needed sleep and, if you aren't breast-feeding or if you are expressing, to do some of the feeds.

The moral and practical support he can give you will be most invaluable during this period, because it is when babies are almost all work and little reward (beyond the admittedly not inconsiderable reward of just existing and being your baby of course).

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Greycious posted:

The lactation consultants at the hospital I delivered at highly recommend Tommee Tippee for breastfed babies. I used them for quite some time and didn't have any complaints.