Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't Switzerland have really terrible attrition? Just let them siege a province for a month or two before jumping them. In vanilla EU3 it was easily the worst place to use doomstacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If it's been a hundred years, and their land tech level is 13 or higher, they should have access to landsknechts or condotta infantry units, both of which are waaaaaay better than anything you get below that tech level. Like, almost unbeatably so. If you're not yourself already at or just about to hit land tech 13, you're probably going to lose this particular war. It's seriously a viable strategy to plow everything into land tech to get landsknechts early so that you can tapdance all over Europe with nary a care in the world. If you ARE at tech level 13, go into the military panel, click on your infantry unit (probably men-at-arms or Galloglaigh infantry) and switch 'em out to landsknechts/condotta post-haste. Avoid battle for as long as it takes for your morale to recover, and from then on you should be able to match them in even battle.

For the record, I think this is the only really dramatic land tech level difference (at least in the Latin tech groups). After this, land tech levels provide an advantage, but no longer such an overwhelmingly dramatic one.

Also, at this early stage in the game, field artillery isn't of much use in battle, and slows your armies down. They're primarily useful in sieges for now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm using Landsknechts as my infantry. The composition I have is roughly even, I have one less cavalry (I think its 12/11/4). Could low prestige be affecting my morale? They've really tanked my prestige with the illegal imperial territory crap. Is it worth just giving in and dropping out of the HRE, it'd mean losing Lombardia, Cremona and Liguria but it's worth it if I don't have to put up with Austria's bullshit any more. What would happen to my vassals in the HRE? It doesn't mention them in the tooltip.

Also is there anything I should be doing with my money? I have like 1000 ducats spare.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I think lvl 18's free shooters are also quite a big jump, and the lvl 28 Gustavian infantry comes with a big offensive fire improvement just when the fire modifier reaches 1, so that can really melt opposing armies with lower land tech.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Graham Gremlin posted:

I'm using Landsknechts as my infantry. The composition I have is roughly even, I have one less cavalry (I think its 12/11/4). Could low prestige be affecting my morale? They've really tanked my prestige with the illegal imperial territory crap. Is it worth just giving in and dropping out of the HRE, it'd mean losing Lombardia, Cremona and Liguria but it's worth it if I don't have to put up with Austria's bullshit any more. What would happen to my vassals in the HRE? It doesn't mention them in the tooltip.

Also is there anything I should be doing with my money? I have like 1000 ducats spare.

Have you checked their national ideas? If you click a province of theirs, there'll be a column of icons on the left-hand side representing their ideas. Check if they've got good military ideas, Military Drill and Battlefield Promotions in particular could let them gently caress you up. Come to think of it, how do your generals compare to theirs? If they've got one good high-Shock general, that could be the cause of your problems.

As for doing things with your money, hiring generals if you don't already have a leader for every army is probably wise.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Graham Gremlin posted:

Huh. Try mousing over your prestige and hovering for a minute - that should offer up a tooltip showing you exactly what effects are being applied. If you're patient, you can also look into a battle at the slowest speed setting while mousing over your units and theirs, to see if you can work out exactly what's going on.

It's also worth noting that if you're out of the HRE but hold HRE provinces for whatever reason, the Emperor gets a CB on you to reconquer the provinces for the Empire. They even get cores for doing so. So yeah, being in the HRE region in general requires putting up with Austrian bullshit.

Regarding money - holy balls that's a lot of cash. What's your minting and inflation levels looking like? Keep in mind you don't need to have a positive monthly balance to make money - you get an annual lump sum every new year, and as long as your annual expenses are smaller than that annual tax, you'll make a profit. Trying to keep a positive monthly balance at all costs will generally net you a lot of unnecessary inflation, as well as sucking investment away from technology and stability.

That being said, if you have the cash on hand anyways, try looking into whatever provincial buildings you can create at the moment. For something more immediately war-related, try checking to see if there's any great powers near Austria that don't have three allies already and who might be bribed into allying and joining the war. Trying to reduce their stability can be useful, too - if they're going up against Hungary, France, and yourself at the same time, anything that causes them internal problems can help exacerbate their war exhaustion issues. For that matter, if they're at war with France, try offering France military access if you haven't already, so that the French can help knock the Austrians out for you.

If all else fails, try offering the Austrians a peace deal consisting of nothing but ducats. It'll sting, but it beats losing territory.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tomn posted:

Regarding money - holy balls that's a lot of cash. What's your minting and inflation levels looking like? Keep in mind you don't need to have a positive monthly balance to make money - you get an annual lump sum every new year, and as long as your annual expenses are smaller than that annual tax, you'll make a profit. Trying to keep a positive monthly balance at all costs will generally net you a lot of unnecessary inflation, as well as sucking investment away from technology and stability.

No inflation right now, I just became a trading powerhouse without realising, like I checked the ledger and saw that I was somehow the leading trader of pretty much everything that wasn't exclusive to Asia/North America. I think it's just the way Switzerland starts up with the sliders. I have had to constantly be moving towards centralisation so I can mint without causing hyperinflation but I had a level 5 master of mint at the beginning who stayed active for 70 years that helped me out a bit with that.

quote:

That being said, if you have the cash on hand anyways, try looking into whatever provincial buildings you can create at the moment. For something more immediately war-related, try checking to see if there's any great powers near Austria that don't have three allies already and who might be bribed into allying and joining the war. Trying to reduce their stability can be useful, too - if they're going up against Hungary, France, and yourself at the same time, anything that causes them internal problems can help exacerbate their war exhaustion issues. For that matter, if they're at war with France, try offering France military access if you haven't already, so that the French can help knock the Austrians out for you.

France had military access a while back that I don't think I revoked. I only realised that it was indefinite military access when Austria cancelled military access a few months before invasion. I guess I should really have spammed them with gifts when they did that so they'd at least have to deal with the good relations stability drop.

quote:

If all else fails, try offering the Austrians a peace deal consisting of nothing but ducats. It'll sting, but it beats losing territory.

I offered them the territory wanted, another three territories that it took them like 13 days each to occupy, releasing Milan and Genoa as sovereign states, all my money, releasing all my vassals and revoking all my cores but the tooltip still said "They would not accept this offer" (I wasn't actually going to give them that, I just kept upping the terms when I saw they were rejecting increasingly generous offers, I think it came to like 400 peace score). How dumb the AI is with peace treaties is another gripe I have with this game. My ally Tuscany invaded Mantua and I accepted their call to arms and then Mantua who had exactly one province, one unit and no allies in the war kept spamming me with peace offers that I pay them 300 ducats and release all my vassals.

Edit: After pretty much conquering me they accepted a peace treaty which consisted entirely of letting Tuscany have Romagna which belonged to my ally, the Pope :lol:

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 20, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Graham Gremlin posted:

zI offered them the territory wanted, another three territories that it took them like 13 days each to occupy, releasing Milan and Genoa as sovereign states, all my money, releasing all my vassals and revoking all my cores but the tooltip still said "They would not accept this offer" (I wasn't actually going to give them that, I just kept upping the terms when I saw they were rejecting increasingly generous offers, I think it came to like 400 peace score). How dumb the AI is with peace treaties is another gripe I have with this game. My ally Tuscany invaded Mantua and I accepted their call to arms and then Mantua who had exactly one province, one unit and no allies in the war kept spamming me with peace offers that I pay them 300 ducats and release all my vassals.

Edit: After pretty much conquering me they accepted a peace treaty which consisted entirely of letting Tuscany have Romagna which belonged to my ally, the Pope :lol:

Yeah these are large weaknesses of the current EUIII AI we're hoping Paradox resolves for EUIV. First, the AI will flat refuse all peace offers until a certain point in the war. No idea what that point is but once they're winning, they kinda keep going until their rampage cools down. Wait until they send you an offer and see what you think, if it seems like a hilariously good deal take it, otherwise reject and counter offer, they should accept something now. Second, as long as the OPMs haven't really had anything happen to them, they will see they are at 100% war capacity and assume they are winning. Just keep ignoring them, the AI doesn't do things like send you an offer because of the superpowerful doomstack they have coming in so there's no need to worry that maybe that OPM knows something you don't. Last, as the warleader you handle all negotiations so you can go ahead and gut your distant allies and they can't say poo poo to stop it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Graham Gremlin posted:

12 infantry 11 cav 4 cannon? That is not a good composition. never have more than 4 cav unless you are a horde.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Honestly I never really bother with artillery, aside from the occasional token one or two units in my larger stacks. I'll do like 15/5 inf/cav stacks and I never have a hard time overcoming even (or even slightly favorable) odds against the AI. I'll probably be really, really wrong in saying this, but I feel like strategically using attrition, getting decent generals, picking your terrain, and pressing your victory until the enemy army is destroyed from 0 morale is more important than the units you put in your army.

fakeedit: I mean, the couple days you save from not having cannons is usually enough to beat a retreating army to their province, giving you defensive modifiers against that army and a chance to crush the 1,000 troops sitting in that province first.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pretty much this, the AI in EU3 is very predictable and you can win against anyone as a medium power by using terrain and attrition.

AtomikKrab posted:

12 infantry 11 cav 4 cannon? That is not a good composition. never have more than 4 cav unless you are a horde.

Early cavalry has a lot more shock than infantry, so it depends on the period of the game. Early game you want to have as much cavalry as you can afford to without going over the limit, but as the game goes on you will want to keep only the four units for flanking in your doomstacks, and use more and more artillery, until you have nearly 1:1 of them to infantry by the 1700s.

This sort of optimization is only really necessary if you are playing in multiplayer, evidently.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Greetings fellow Paradoxian Goons, as some of you may be aware I am organizing a weekly Crusader King's II Megacampaign where we play once a week every week until there's only one left standing. :black101: and when we complete Crusader King's II we convert the save to a format that's readable by Europa Universalis III/IV (if its out in time), and then to Victoria II A House Divided and then to Hearts of Iron III and then East Meets West.

A map of the world in Crusader King's I, why does everyone pick on Russia? :sigh:

Megacampaigns are interesting concepts. As firstly they are a large scale multiplayer game, so if your experience is predominantly single player or smaller casual pick up games there's a very large difference in environment, challenges, and experience. It's not automatically harder or more difficult, your play style may even still remain relevant but there is no gaurantee that once you ford that river you'll ever be able to ford back across.

Firstly it is multiplayer, so the strategies, exploits, and most importantly most of the mechanics that once relied on modifiers, limits, and expected behaviors of the AI are entirely irrelevant. You are dealing with humans now that, shockingly so I know, won't (most of the time) react in predictable ways. You just swallowed a whole country but you are still under the bad boy limit? Too bad, Bob the Gob in Prussia immediately convinced Steve the Peeve in Austria to gang your now overstretched France and hit the reset button on your expansionist endeavors because you ignored their private messages over the last two weeks about your intentions.

Damnit Spain.Catalunia :mad:

Oh man, how do I counter that? You may be thinking but now we rachet it up a notch and realize this is a mega-campaign with upwards of thirty people probably. You can contact Honest Ed in Russia and Eli The Reliable in the Ottoman Empire to distract Austria and Prussia; you'll have to compromise though, either Bob turns out to be secretly a Wizard and is able to crush your larger armies like a bug and Austria is rich from trading so whenever Russia and Turkey manage to destroy an army they pull out another one from their rear end to block you they can't last indefinitely. So you shoot messages back and forth and you end up able to keep some lands, and they get some of the others; than Bob and Steve have a falling out and Eli took out one of Honest Ed's vassals so now its a new week with new opportunities.

See also, the various failed efforts to suppress German Awesomeness. :eng99:

Smaller casual games tend to have everyone picking an expansion direction and only fighting when everyone is “ready” and generally lacks tension, a megacampaign can have one small fry guy with exceptional skill and ridiculous levels of aggression attacking his more unprepared neighbours and taking advantage of every new opportunity.

With such a large number of people you get a very diverse mix of play styles, laid back empire builders, hyper aggressive opportunists, Machiavellian backstabbers, punch clock roleplayers, coalitionist power balancers, and assholes. :allears: Hopefully we can add a new category to the bunch; Goons. There are a nearly endless number of permutations as to how these peoples could and can interact.

Usually results in someone getting a nuclear tipped ICBM to the face. :ussr:

And I got annexed. :( :china:

Our sessions are weekly, we aim to player four consecutive hours once a week every week except on holidays, (since a majority of our players tended to be Scandinavians and Finns, this means every other week they have some random beer drinking festival of sorts :argh: )

quote:

In effect, yes. Observe that you are not winning this struggle; long-term manpower does you no good if all your provinces that supply that manpower are lost in the short term. I am being generous in not demanding the remaining Med islands.

Incidentally, you have said that you thought we would attack you, and therefore made preparations; and we have likewise been convinced that you would attack us, and as the weaker party we went for the pre-emptive strike. So this makes me wonder, just where is all this belligerent information coming from, when both parties disavow their aggressive intent? Where did you hear that we were going to attack you? Because we weren't, until we heard you were gearing up to attack us.

I knew you would know that I would know about your non-attack feint that was actually a clever ploy to actually attack. Ah-Hah! :smuggo:

As mentioned there are fournow five stages to the overall “game” the last few iterations usually only went with whichever game was available and had a stable release in time for us to manually write a converter for. As for this post however we have Crusader King's II, Europa Universalis III Divine Wind, Victoria II A House Divided and Hearts of Iron III. Previously we had either CKI, EU II, Victoria Revolutions and Hearts of Iron II; or CKI, EUIII, V2, AoD or something along those lines.

What's interesting is that whereas in normal regular games the last sixty to twenty years usually is a feverish rush to the finish with desperate last ditch campaigning to try to eek out a win or to improve your position or take down the probable winning by any means; that's even if the game had even lasted that long. Something like 75% of EUIII MP games tended to end early and inconclusively, usually as a result of some coalition or power getting so strong that everyone just sort of gives up.

Our megacampaigns, have thus far lasted four iterations of 1000 in game years of gameplay and each time always successfully reached a generation of Hearts of Iron and made it past 1945. I believe we've had four, so it is four for four, that's a 100% success rate. This correlates to something, but who gives a poo poo its four for four! :dance:

”King of Men” posted:

Lysandros held his breath. Against all that maelstrom of fire the Persians had reached the top of the hill. But the Ethiopians held the crest, and were fighting from behind a wall; and they hadn't marched a mile through horror to get to the fight. Yes - there. At the edge of the Persian formation, terror had become too much; men were coming back, peeling away from the fight for the fence and marching back, some in formed squads and some as individuals, but retreating from what had become too much for flesh and blood to bear. Like all routs it fed on itself; in a minute the retreat was general, the whole division recoiling from the crest they couldn't take.

"Kyrie eleison," Lysandros whispered; "Christe eleison". If the advance had been bad, how many would die in a rout? But the Ethiopian guns were silent. Was there indeed mercy, then? The Ethiopians were Christians of a sort, he recalled. Perhaps they had heard his prayer; or perhaps they were offering a gallant gesture to match the gallant charge. Unmolested by pursuit, the Persians came back, gathering their wounded as they went.
In order to gain the support of the key peanut gallery demographic, some players will write fanfiction; this fortunately or unfortunately regardless of individual writing skill, is always rewarded with small in game edits. :hist101:

As a result what is interesting is that while there is some last minute activity prior to a conversion to a new game, its mostly just to better your own position for the converter. This forces you to usually limit what you attempt to do for fear you actually worsen your own position by accident, eleventh hour gang bangs are greatly feared but rarely transpire for fear that the defender can simply hold out until the game ends and converts on over.

This results in the same form of “shift” in importance geography did in real life, certain nations are better positioned based on the basic mechanics of a particular game than others. “England” has a harder time in Hearts of Iron and Late Victoria than in almost all of Europa Universalis III; Germany gradually becomes more powerful from mid Europa onwards as trade becomes gradually lesser importance relative to production and manpower. More populace ROTW'ers (Rest of the Worlders) if they managed to survive past Europa tend to catch up in importance mid Victoria and reach an equal footing in hearts of Iron, and so on. No one is ever permanently “screwed” based on their geography, everyone is likely to have a “moment to shine” :sun:   at some point or another and it all tends to balance out.

Playing a Russian Dukedirt poo poo hole in Crusader King's? No problem! In Europa you'll have likely tonnes of manpower or lots of resources in Hearts of Iron and take back what's yours! :twisted:

In particular, since its increasingly and commonly understood that the game (EU3, Victoria II) is “rigged” in favor of Europe, the ROTW with mixed results is “fixed” to be more competitive with Europe, though even god can't help you if your country isn't consistently played. This time we're going to say “screw it” and make the whole world on par with Europe techwise, its too much of an imbalance to have Europe get free foot holds just so the ROTW can compete 'later on', why not compete “now”? :sweden:

Right now I'm organizing a new campaign starting in Crusader King's II, in order to cut down on the kind of blobbing you see in the first image I linked above we are all starting as counts, as well as having some extra consideration for newer players so we're making it so that you can't kill off a player and take away his last lands/titles.

I have high hopes that it will serve as a sort of last ditch safety net of where even if someone manages to blob to the point they take over all of Europe, the fact that he is likely to be entirely composed of sizeable player vassals will make for Interesting Times at the very beginning of Europa Universalis III (as they will be vassals with a better position to break free, also for intrigue as SOME players will inevitably value the protection of being a vassal for riskier independence).

Current tentative map of the player realms, Name Subject to Change.

Currently I believe I may have close to 27 people signed up, not all of them I've put on the map yet as I'm still waiting on their picks. The more the merrier as if we can get 2-3 people per your typical “country spot” that leaves room for royal court shennanigans and intrigues even if one person manages to win out, and since we're making it so that you can't eliminate players they can always bounce back and keep things interesting. :black101:

The thread over at Paradox is Here, please sign up; the tentative start date is Febuary 2nd. We play at 10 AM EST which is I believe 2 PM CET.

Hope to see more goons join up :)

Sorry for the :words: but I wanted an :effort: post.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Gorgo Primus posted:

Popular Mods
EU3Plus/AzeriMod: Popular balance and tweak mod with new alt-history scenario based on Wiz's AARward Winning Azerbaijan LP
MiscMods: Another popular balance and tweak mod with new alt-history scenarios
MEIOU: Balance, tweak and content mod
Death&Taxes: Balance, tweak and content mod
Is any of these playable in (or recommended for) multiplayer as well? Spicing up vanilla and make it more balanced would be nice, especially if a mod could help to discourage rampant blobbing and do-or-die total wars between players.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
EU3+ and possibly Miscmod are good choices; the latter is dependent on if it has been updated for the betas yet.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
There's no way in EUIII to turn off the monthly $CASH!!$ noise, but leave one at the beginning of the year? My computer runs vanilla fast enough that the game sounds like:
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gorgo Primus posted:

EU3+ and possibly Miscmod are good choices; the latter is dependent on if it has been updated for the betas yet.

I don't believe it has.

D&T hasn't either, last I checked it's still on 5.1

MEIOU...isn't that still on HttT?

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
D&T is actually 5.2 compatible now. Which is nice.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't believe it has.

I don't think it matters, I've been playing it on the betas for ages with no problems. Then again, I don't play multiplayer.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I played a game of MEIOU with another person earlier in the 5.2 beta, so unless something has changed, it should work with the latest EU3 DW beta patch.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Especially in mountains where cavalry get double land penalties. -10 on all your rolls is a great way to lose battles.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Take the lowest supply limit out of whatever provinces of yours you believe this unit is going to be visiting most frequently, including ones it's just going to be passing through. Subtract 4 from this number, then divide it in half. The resulting number is the number of infantry and artillery you want in a stack (it's the same), plus 4 cavalry units. This way you have the largest and most powerful stacks as you can manage without them draining manpower from just moving around.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.
Being at -100 prestige and the enemy at +100 prestige is a fair chunk of morale difference. Its like giving your opponent a free morale-boosting idea.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I always assumed the only 4 cavalry thing was from before DW, does anyone know if this applies to Miscmod + Kersch's fixes?
Guess I really shouldn't run 2:1:1 stacks past 1500 if combat is not fixed.
Is there some similar rule for ships or is my 1:1:2 ratio (BigShip:MedShip:Galley) a good idea?

Also is there any reason I should not add Olive Oil to the trade goods that profit from a Refinery? (I dunno why this bugs me, but it does)
I've also been thinking about trying to add some sort of modifier for the trade good upgrade events, say having a manufactory reduces the time to fire.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Galleys are only useful in Seas. The Mediterranean, Black Sea, Baltic Sea, and maybe the Channel are the only seas that actually count as seas. Maybe the Yellow Sea too? Outside of them, Galleys will always get eaten alive by Medium and Big ships, and play no real supporting role. Only use them if you're poor. Even in seas, they're still outclassed, but not by nearly as much, and they serve as a decent cost-efficient ship early on.

edit: Basically what I'm saying is that there are no ratios in naval combat. As far as I can tell, every ship is always in combat and there's no such thing as flanking or other such things. Naval combat is really basic, as far as I can tell. What matters most is having more cannons than the enemy.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 21, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fintilgin posted:

There's no way in EUIII to turn off the monthly $CASH!!$ noise, but leave one at the beginning of the year? My computer runs vanilla fast enough that the game sounds like:
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!
ka-ching!

Crusader Kings 2 also has this sound that accompanies 90% of the events that I wouldn't mind never hearing again...

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I tried a game of EU3 MEIOU over the weekend. They added a lot more bonuses and penalties to sliders, NIs, advisors and buildings, making all that stuff more interesting at first, it just gets too much after a while. Some of the bonuses even break the tooltips when you get a sizable country (which is bound to happen since they added hundreds of provinces). For example the tooltip for government tech research can't tell me what research is coming up anymore since every tier 2 government building adds 0.3 to the research and all I can see now is a huge list of +0.3 that goes to the bottom of my screen. Same for magistrates/merchants/missionaries, I can't see how many I get per year because some trade building / monk orders add 0.1 each.
Inheriting from a PU gives you cores regardless of culture or whatever, so Ive been abusing the hell out of marriages and the Fabricate Claim spy action and have been eating my way through the HRE.
When I got to the point where I could colonize I was still in the "early colonization" time period , netting me "only" 7 colonists a year. So I went to discover the Caribbean and South Africa, not only does everything have 2-3 times as many provinces as vanilla (Madagascar has 8 provinces) but every single province I found has a base tax of 1. I grabbed Haiti and Cuba (11 provinces total) and everything had corn or fish... gently caress this mod.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gort posted:

Crusader Kings 2 also has this sound that accompanies 90% of the events that I wouldn't mind never hearing again...

The weird thing is that I think that sound came from EU: Rome.

Which means it'll fit much better once there's a good Roman era mod out. :v:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's still EU:Rome graphics in the CK2 folder :ssh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The worst sound is that awful horn from CK1 that's like twice as loud as any other sound in the game other than the "x has declared war on us." If you've ever played it, you know which one I'm talking about.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pakled posted:

The worst sound is that awful horn from CK1 that's like twice as loud as any other sound in the game other than the "x has declared war on us." If you've ever played it, you know which one I'm talking about.

Before CK2 came out I would often get the urge to play CK1 while waiting for CK2 to come out, but just the memory of that sound would extinguish the urge immediately.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So, Paradox just sent out a newsletter commemorating 500,000 members by giving away a free copy of EU3: Chronicles for Steam to all 500,000 of us. That's pretty nice of them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If you are signed up to the Paradox newsletter then you just got a Steam key for EU3:Chronicles. Which is pretty cool given that the replacement it's raising awareness for is still on the far end of this year.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

They also opened their own shop that offers Steam codes and is having a store-wide 55% off sale until February 17th. Which is also pretty cool of them.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
After the clusterfuck that was the Republic release I'm not surprised.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
Here's one of those EU3:Chronicles keys if anyone wants it :)

e: taken

vulgey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 21, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Urdnot Fire posted:

They also opened their own shop that offers Steam codes and is having a store-wide 55% off sale until February 17th. Which is also pretty cool of them.

Well Paradox has had it's own shop before but even HOI3 couldn't stop it from being so successful they had to spin it off into a separate business.

Now other online stores offer Steam codes but I think this is the first time a developer/publisher has sold Steam keys direct, which is a really interesting development because even a slight wedge between Steam the online store and Steam the content delivery system is a good thing.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Woot free EU3! Hmm, which of my friends is currently being a bit too productive and successful? :devil:

About the new webshop, it seems it's only selling a few main titles for the time being, but no DLC. So no picking up The Republic / Songs of Prosperity with an early discount, I guess.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was actually contemplating just buying it all on Steam again since going through the mass-install of all the files from Gamer's Gate is such a pain in the rear end. Nice timing, that.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Anybody that wants my code can PM me for it.

Edit: code taken

Carver fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

vulgey posted:

Here's one of those EU3:Chronicles keys if anyone wants it :)

RGQVY-30RPY-PMFE5

This key has been taken, the lurker who decided to grab it didn't want to take the twenty seconds to let everyone else know. Thought I'd save everyone else half a minute trying to use it because I'm nice like that!

• Locked thread