Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I just 'upgraded' to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard and man, my 17" MBP's battery life has dropped from ~5 hours to ~3. I only upgraded because I'd heard the huge pile of battery problems have been totally fixed by 8.2, but this is just stupid.

Also I don't think I did my research fully, because I lost a hell of a lot of functionality at my fingertips (save as, seeing the battery life estimate, not using loving iOS Macbook Version)

My question is if there's a huge switch from developers to make programs compatible only with 10.8 or if I can safely track down a Snow Leopard install disk and say gently caress this.

Hold Option to show Save As. Battery estimate fix. The rest of your complaint was too nonspecific to help. But as to your question, I think it won't be long before you see lots of apps requiring 10.7 or 10.8 minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

Hold Option to show Save As.

I know this but it doesn't change how massively dumb and annoying it is.

This creates a new battery icon way off to the left.

Choadmaster posted:

The rest of your complaint was too nonspecific to help.

"My battery life has dropped by 2 hours" is nonspecific? :confused:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
As someone who sees Macs come through the shop every day for just about every issue, I have to wonder if something else is afoot with these Mountain Lion battery things. Like a background app acting stupid under 10.8, or something.

My laptop has no battery issues under 10.8. None of my techs' laptops do, either. In fact, to my knowledge, we've only seen one customer laptop who reported a battery issue after upgrading, but it was also getting super-hot. Turned out a process that's part of an HP driver was running away, and just needed to be reinstalled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I just 'upgraded' to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard and man, my 17" MBP's battery life has dropped from ~5 hours to ~3. I only upgraded because I'd heard the huge pile of battery problems have been totally fixed by 8.2, but this is just stupid.

Also I don't think I did my research fully, because I lost a hell of a lot of functionality at my fingertips (save as, seeing the battery life estimate, not using loving iOS Macbook Version)

My question is if there's a huge switch from developers to make programs compatible only with 10.8 or if I can safely track down a Snow Leopard install disk and say gently caress this.

There are 10.7+ only APIs so there are no guarantees, but I think for the most part most developers try to target 10.6.8 or whatever the latest and greatest is.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Martytoof posted:

There are 10.7+ only APIs so there are no guarantees, but I think for the most part most developers try to target 10.6.8 or whatever the latest and greatest is.

IIRC Xcode 4.2 was the last version that shipped with the 10.6 SDK, and it was laid to rest about a year ago. Not having the 10.6 SDK in current versions of Xcode doesn't make it impossible to write apps for 10.6, but it does tend to make it more of a pain in the rear end to do. There's no sensible reason for Apple to have dumped that SDK as far as I know; they seem to be pushing developers very hard toward 10.7/10.8. I wouldn't expect most (smaller) developers to support 10.6 for much longer, personally. But I could be wrong.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I just 'upgraded' to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard and man, my 17" MBP's battery life has dropped from ~5 hours to ~3.

Look in Activity Monitor for things using up a lot of CPU. Some programs you had installed before you upgraded may have lost their minds during the upgrade and gone on a rampage.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

duck monster posted:

Has this new firefox , uh 18, being doing lots of beachballing for people? I notice javascript heavy sites like facebook will often sit there for a minute beachballing before springing to life. Does this new gee-wiz JS engine do , like , a full compile or something prior to execution or is this just something that not working out well for only a few people?

I've been running the Firefox betas and yeah, 18 was kinda funky...lots of beachballing and the like. The new v19 betas seem to be a lot better so far.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I would expect 10.6 to be "Apple's XP" for a while yet. Losing Rosetta was a big problem in System 10.7+.
http://www.adium.im/sparkle/#osVersion is about the best stats we have, although hardly definitive.

This article is pretty old by now:
http://insights.chitika.com/2012/mountain-lion-roars-captures-3-2-share-in-first-48-hours/

But actually suggests that 10.7 usage never got above 10.6 levels overall.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at adium statistics is going to skew toward nerds. I hate to throw out a baseless anecdote but I don't know anyone whose IM needs aren't met with a combination of Gmail chat and Facebook.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm still on 10.6 and will be for the indefinite future. I haven't seen anyone important drop 10.6 support. My understanding is that it's not different enough from 10.7 and 8 on the low level for it to really be problematic for developers.

The one thing I wish is that iCloud were compatible with 10.6. Ironically I have it on my boot camped windows 7 and my phone, but not on Mac OS.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

When games make a note of not supporting Macs with integrated video, do they mean unsupported as in "it might work but we won't help you if it doesn't" or that it's simply not going work on that hardware? If it's the former I'm willing to roll the dice but I don't relish the thought of paying for a game that's not going to run on my MBP.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Usually they mean the GPU is too slow to provide a good experience. It probably won't be the case that some dialog comes up saying it won't run, but it could definitely be the case that the framerate is in the single digits.

For what it's worth, I've noticed most developers using "integrated graphics" as a catchall term meaning "not powerful enough" since usually they'll go on to list the nVidia 320M and Intel 3000 and 4000 as supported despite those being integrated as well.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

carry on then posted:

Usually they mean the GPU is too slow to provide a good experience. It probably won't be the case that some dialog comes up saying it won't run, but it could definitely be the case that the framerate is in the single digits.

For what it's worth, I've noticed most developers using "integrated graphics" as a catchall term meaning "not powerful enough" since usually they'll go on to list the nVidia 320M and Intel 3000 and 4000 as supported despite those being integrated as well.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I suspected. I have a 2011 MBP with the HD 3000, which I think should be fine for the games I'm interested in (nothing incredibly recent). Thanks for the info!

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's not Mac-specific, but Notebookcheck's benchmark page may give you a decent-idea: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

This is probably the most annoying part of PC gaming, trying to figure out if you can even play the drat game. It's definitely worthwhile to look for demos for anything you're interested in playing, although there probably aren't many out there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I would expect 10.6 to be "Apple's XP" for a while yet. Losing Rosetta was a big problem in System 10.7+.
http://www.adium.im/sparkle/#osVersion is about the best stats we have, although hardly definitive.

This article is pretty old by now:
http://insights.chitika.com/2012/mountain-lion-roars-captures-3-2-share-in-first-48-hours/

But actually suggests that 10.7 usage never got above 10.6 levels overall.
Eh, it's pretty different cause manufacturers shipped PCs with it for-goddamn-ever vs Apple killing off the previous OS with new machines. XP came out in 2001 and machines shipped with it until 2008 (seems later than that though), while Vista came out in 2007 and 7 in 2009. MS never killed it off and manufacturers never let it die, it's not really a choice with Macs at a certain point.

As for 10.6 vs 10.7's usage, keep in mind the release dates. 10.6 had around two years until 10.7, then it was about a year between that and 10.8.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I am about to create an HFS partition on an external hard drive that I want to use for Time Machine backups using iTimeMachine. The partition will be connected and shared on a Windows 7 computer (HTPC) that I always leave on. That should work, right? I can barely find anything on iTimeMachine on Google.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sweek0 posted:

I am about to create an HFS partition on an external hard drive that I want to use for Time Machine backups using iTimeMachine. The partition will be connected and shared on a Windows 7 computer (HTPC) that I always leave on. That should work, right? I can barely find anything on iTimeMachine on Google.

Windows can't share a drive it can't read, and format isn't really relevant over a network share. That said, iTimemachine wouldn't show me Windows shares, and with no documentation, who's to know how it works, and whether it will break tomorrow?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

"My battery life has dropped by 2 hours" is nonspecific? :confused:

If you want to customize how your battery health is displayed, you want iStat Menus.

If you want to see the general health of your battery, you want Battery Health.

As far as a direct correlation between your battery problems and 10.8 I can't particularly answer, but if the problem is drastic and you are still under AppleCare maybe you can try your luck. Or wait for a mysterious bug fix if there's a widespread issue.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I went on holidays and when I came back now AirPort Utility does not connect to my Time Capsule anymore. I still have internet, I just can't configure the TC.

How do I fix this?

e: I rebooted the TC and everything works again.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 20, 2013

iceslice
May 20, 2005
edit: Disregard my complaint. I forgot the basics, decided to restart the computer and the problem is gone.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 21, 2013

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

~Coxy posted:

Honestly, had they released the rumoured 10.6.9 update with iCloud support, I never would have upgraded to 10.8 in the first place. I don't hate all the new iOS stuff (some of it is fun to use), I just felt that Snow Leopard was such a pleasant, stable OS to use that I stuck with it until it became clear that developers were going to start dropping 10.6 support soon.

Plus, I miss colours in my icons.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

TealShark posted:

Plus, I miss colours in my icons.

I got the fix for this from a ways back in the thread:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/44354/easysimbl
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40989/colorfulsidebar

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TealShark posted:

Honestly, had they released the rumoured 10.6.9 update with iCloud support, I never would have upgraded to 10.8 in the first place. I don't hate all the new iOS stuff (some of it is fun to use), I just felt that Snow Leopard was such a pleasant, stable OS to use that I stuck with it until it became clear that developers were going to start dropping 10.6 support soon.

I really, really like the lack of scrollbars. It's so weird to go on one of our 10.6 or 10.4 machines and see them.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Bob Morales posted:

I really, really like the lack of scrollbars. It's so weird to go on one of our 10.6 or 10.4 machines and see them.

To be honest, going back to 10.4 at all is horrid these days. It's just so gaudy compared to the more muted 10.5+.

And don't get me started on anything 10.3 or below!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

10.4 and older is loving vile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evil_bunnY posted:

10.4 and older is loving vile.

It's cartoony and kind of fun. Our old old Filemaker server runs on it. I realized after we moved I never accessed it except to check if the Internet was up while in the server room, so I unplugged it and nobody has noticed.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

~Coxy posted:

We use Google Analytics on our site to determine what sort of OS support we should be aiming for. Last I checked, pre-10.7 users only amounted to around ~20% of unique Mac visits, with ~17% on SL.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

We use Google Analytics on our site to determine what sort of OS support we should be aiming for. Last I checked, pre-10.7 users only amounted to around ~20% of unique Mac visits, with ~17% on SL.

This is from MacRumors:

Somewhat amazed that there are that many Leopard boxes out there still.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's surprised me how few college students (just from personal observation) actually upgrade. I sometimes forget that computers are an appliance to most people and the fact that their functionality can be improved doesn't really interest them all that much.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

It's surprised me how few college students (just from personal observation) actually upgrade. I sometimes forget that computers are an appliance to most people and the fact that their functionality can be improved doesn't really interest them all that much.

This is why I hope Apple eventually puts the Mac on an iOS-style "would you like to download this free upgrade?" cycle. I know way more people that upgrade their phones, especially now that it happens over the air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

This is why I hope Apple eventually puts the Mac on an iOS-style "would you like to download this free upgrade?" cycle. I know way more people that upgrade their phones, especially now that it happens over the air.

It's only $20 now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bob Morales posted:

It's only $20 now.

Never underestimate how cheap some people are.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Apple doesn't underestimate how willing their customers are to spend money.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Chuck Bartowski posted:

A lot of Mac users aren't computer literate. I'm talking about the kind of people who will ignore the bouncing Software Update dock icon indefinitely because it doesn't appear to be interfering with their magic Facebook box. Those people will never upgrade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NOTinuyasha posted:

A lot of Mac users aren't computer literate. I'm talking about the kind of people who will ignore the bouncing Software Update dock icon indefinitely because it doesn't appear to be interfering with their magic Facebook box. Those people will never upgrade.

I have to force my girlfriend to run the updates on her Macbook every couple weeks. She just ignores them... :smith:

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Bob Morales posted:

I have to force my girlfriend to run the updates on her Macbook every couple weeks. She just ignores them... :smith:

Poorly implemented as it is, Windows forcing updates down your throat does make sure people stay up to date.

Apple really need some sort of inbetween of their system versus microsoft's.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
They need iOS-style updates that don't get in the way but are otherwise free and easy to install whenever the user needs to get their daily app fix and Angry Birds Space wont download until they go to settings and press a button.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Bob Morales posted:

It's only $20 now.
That's $20 not going towards booze.

Also Mountain Lion does eventually install updates by itself if "Install system data files and security updates" is checked (by default it is).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

carry on then posted:

Or how many college/uni students don't run Software Update on their Macs. Seriously the numbers of students and some academics who are running 10.6.0 or some old subversion plus 200 other Apple updates waiting to install is massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Do you think $20 is what's holding those leopard users back?