Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

bengy81 posted:

A picture would be helpful, but I am gonna go ahead and guess that your beer is fine. The next time you take a gravity sample, take a drink of the sample. If it tastes like warm flat beer, you are fine.

I'm sure (hope) you're right. As I said I'm probably being paranoid. I suppose I'm extra paranoid because I got a secondhand carboy that was sitting in a basement for a while. I probably sanitized it half a dozen times but I was still cautious.

Edit: Most of the picture is just smudges and dust on the outside of the glass. The red/orange specks are on the inside.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That looks fine/normal; it could be yeast flocculating. The only real infection (unsalvageable poison beer, not sour) I've ever seen was fuzzy and shades of green/black. It smelled like trash water and tasted worse.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

nominal posted:

the strain (3711) or the fact that it's the first time I've used a starter or both.

the strain. it's a madman.

nominal posted:

I was thinking, though, if I want to throw some dregs from Orval or something else in there for some brett character, when would be the best time to do it? I've never worked with brett before. Is it something I can do way down the road, after this stuff is kegged and carbonated and I've had ample opportunity to try it and decide if it'd even be a good beer to dose? Can I pitch it right into the keg? Will there be much sediment if it referments in the keg, or would I need to rack it off to a new keg after a few months? Is a finished, carbonated beer in a keg even a decent environment for the brett to work, once it's back up to room temperature?

If you want to pitch dregs, I'd pull a gallon or more of the saison into a cider/wine jug and pitch there. You would be fine with pitching into the keg but there is a host of possible issues, one being the hoses could become infected, another that the dregs won't become active enough in the fridge (if that is where it is) to do much of anything. There shouldn't be too much sediment, but that just depends on the same factors as it would any other beer you've made. A carb'd keg is a an 'okay' environment, but not ideal. I know brett likes O2, but that doesn't mean it can't get more funk in a bottle (or in this case a keg). They will mellow down a lot, and change over time, so it's sort of a complicated answer.

I'd say pull a couple gallons and pitch them, bottle when you think you want to drink it and save a handful while drinking one every few months. Brew the beer again a year later and go hog wild with the whole five gallons if you love it.

tinsel
Jun 10, 2009

I wonder how this would feel in my mouth...

Hypnolobster posted:

I have one of these
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/therma_k.html
and adore it completely and unequivocally. +/- .5 F accuracy, which is astonishingly good.

I've got the included probe which is good for some kitchen stuff, and then I have the mini needle probe (awesome for checking burger temps and things) which is submersible and fabulous, and one of the PTFE tipped probes you linked that hangs out in my mash tun or HLT while brewing.

It's sort of a ridiculous amount of money to sink into a thermometer and various probes, but the Therma K is the most accurate type K thermocouple that Thermoworks makes and I brew and cook an awful lot. Worth it.

Is the probe water proof? I.e., you can just leave submerged in the mashtun?

Half the time I end up brewing in the dark, at night, in the cold, and the steam coming of the HLT makes it a pain in the rear end to read the thermometer. This thing appears to fix that.

e: I read that it's submersible, but I'm wondering if that it just the tip or if can you throw the whole enchilada in there, coil/cable and all?

tinsel fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 21, 2013

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tinsel posted:

Is the probe water proof? I.e., you can just leave submerged in the mashtun?

Half the time I end up brewing in the dark, at night, in the cold, and the steam coming of the HLT makes it a pain in the rear end to read the thermometer. This thing appears to fix that.

e: I read that it's submersible, but I'm wondering if that it just the tip or if can you throw the whole enchilada in there, coil/cable and all?

Both the mini needle probe and the PTFE tip probe are waterproof all the way from the tip to the plug that goes into the thermometer. I stick a little weight on the PTFE probe and let it hang out in the HLT (otherwise it floats), or push it down into the mash with my paddle. Right at knockout, I stick it into the boil kettle and leave it in there while I'm chilling too.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was super lazy and let my mash tun sit outside without cleaning it for...longer than you ever should. I gave it a nice long PBW soak and scrubbed it good last night, but I'm gonna have a hard time not thinking about what the inside looked like next time I drink something brewed out of it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Toebone posted:

I was super lazy and let my mash tun sit outside without cleaning it for...longer than you ever should. I gave it a nice long PBW soak and scrubbed it good last night, but I'm gonna have a hard time not thinking about what the inside looked like next time I drink something brewed out of it.

Heh yeah this is something that only happens once. I left my cooler sealed with some spent grain in it after a brewday ended really late, then got lazy. Opened it like 2 weeks later and sweet baby Jesus, it smelled like I was storing dead bodies in there :barf:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jacobey000 posted:

the strain. it's a madman.

3711 IS a beast, but the "bubbling within a couple hours of pitching" is definitely more a symptom of pitching an active starter. A starter of 3711 is likely considered an IED by homeland security though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I usually chill and decant my starters (because starter wort is :barf:) but on Saturday I pitched a whole 2L starter at high krausen into my bavarian hefeweizen and it was bubbling like mad in an hour. Am I going to get more off flavors from pitching the entire starter or is decanting the way to go?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

I usually chill and decant my starters (because starter wort is :barf:) but on Saturday I pitched a whole 2L starter at high krausen into my bavarian hefeweizen and it was bubbling like mad in an hour. Am I going to get more off flavors from pitching the entire starter or is decanting the way to go?

For what it's worth I always decant, since as you say starter wort tastes and smells like rear end. If I don't want to drink it why am I dumping it in my beer? But 2L into 5 gallons is like 10% of the volume so it will probably be barely noticeable at worst, don't freak out about it.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
All of this "left my grains in too long, I wanted to loving die" posts are making me excited for brewing my berliner weisse.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 21, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just racked a rye IPA to secondary; FG reading gave an attenuation of 84.5% (1.071 to 1.011) with WLP's California Ale Yeast. Previously with an IPA and the same yeast I had an attenuation over 90% (1.063 to 1.006). Both of them were fermented at a really consistent 68*, both were temp adjusted, the previous IPA was outstanding and the rye one I just did is very promising based on how it tastes today.

So...why is the yeast going so crazy? WLP001's range is supposed to be 73 to 80% in apparently the same conditions I'm fermenting at (68-72). Am I doing anything wrong or am I missing something? The beer in both cases seems fine. Should I not care, or should I try something different?

I stumbled into a decent idea with this yesterday (I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this): I did a 3L starter, decanted, had the yeast sitting out on my table. I wound up with a little bit of wort left over from my mash (maybe a half quart?), so I figured I'd throw it in there and let it get started, and this wouldn't affect the flavor or anything much as the wort is the same. It was going crazy by the time I pitched a few hours later, today (12 hours on) it has almost filled the bucket.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 21, 2013

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Jacobey000 posted:

berliner weisse.

For Southern Californians, I am told from a reliable source that Golden Road in Glendale has a Berliner Weisse which they serve with woodruff syrup. I'm not sure if it's available all the time, occasionally, or what, though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

bewbies posted:

I stumbled into a decent idea with this yesterday (I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this): I did a 3L starter, decanted, had the yeast sitting out on my table. I wound up with a little bit of wort left over from my mash (maybe a half quart?), so I figured I'd throw it in there and let it get started, and this wouldn't affect the flavor or anything much as the wort is the same. It was going crazy by the time I pitched a few hours later, today (12 hours on) it has almost filled the bucket.

This is an awesome idea. Did you boil it or anything before adding it to the yeast?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I always pour the whole starter in while it's active, never noticed anything as far as "off flavors," in fact my beers improved in flavor from using starters (outside of the occasional yeast-dominant beers like Belgians). FWIW all the members of our homebrew club (who make delicious beers themselves) like the beers we bring and have never brought up anything that could be construed as related to pitching an active starter.

Honestly the starter smells awful from the getgo (i.e. when it's 2L of hot reconstituted DME wort) - I think unhopped DME just smells awful but I used to make great beers from it before going all grain so I guess it's all about the effect of hops on wort aroma.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bewbies posted:

I just racked a rye IPA to secondary; FG reading gave an attenuation of 84.5% (1.071 to 1.011) with WLP's California Ale Yeast. Previously with an IPA and the same yeast I had an attenuation over 90% (1.063 to 1.006). Both of them were fermented at a really consistent 68*, both were temp adjusted, the previous IPA was outstanding and the rye one I just did is very promising based on how it tastes today.

So...why is the yeast going so crazy? WLP001's range is supposed to be 73 to 80% in apparently the same conditions I'm fermenting at (68-72). Am I doing anything wrong or am I missing something? The beer in both cases seems fine. Should I not care, or should I try something different?

If you're happy with mouth feel and residual sweetness then you don't need to do anything. All grain your main lever in FG is mash schedule. Warmer single infusions or less time spent in the beta rest zone in multistep schedules will result in higher FGs.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

bewbies posted:

Was the ambient temperature 68* or do you mean that's what the bucket said? Remember that during fermentation the beer warms up due to activity.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Tried to brew a half-batch barley-wine today, like I did around this time last year. Tried to do all-grain instead of a mini-mash and DME, and ended up with a FG of 1.062 instead of the desired 1.088. Is it just a really bad idea to try to do a half-batch of a strong beer? I back-calculated my efficiency, and it ended up being around 59%, which is pretty terrible. I used less water during my sparge than I otherwise would have. Should I have been aiming to boil all of the extra water off?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Zakath posted:

Tried to brew a half-batch barley-wine today, like I did around this time last year. Tried to do all-grain instead of a mini-mash and DME, and ended up with a FG of 1.062 instead of the desired 1.088. Is it just a really bad idea to try to do a half-batch of a strong beer? I back-calculated my efficiency, and it ended up being around 59%, which is pretty terrible. I used less water during my sparge than I otherwise would have. Should I have been aiming to boil all of the extra water off?

Yeah. Did you only sparge once? Either way you left a lot of sugars. Might as well sparge again and make another beer with the mash.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

For Southern Californians, I am told from a reliable source that Golden Road in Glendale has a Berliner Weisse which they serve with woodruff syrup. I'm not sure if it's available all the time, occasionally, or what, though.

Yeah, I made a visit to a local gourmet simple syrup company and they gifted me a handful of different syrups so I'm pretty excited to try them out in the Berliner I plan on doing.

As far as 'Brew News' I made an 8 batch of Belgian Blonde/Pale with 5gal going to S-33 and 3gal to EC-1118 & Brett B. I've also come to the conclusion that brewing with someone is 100x better than brewing alone; 3rd brew in a row I wasn't home brewing.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Keep in mind the attenuation % for yeast that's listed on the package/website is based on a specific set of conditions in a laboratory, none of which you are meeting while homebrewing. Things also change drastically when you're dealing with much higher or lower gravity than usual, or weird adjuncts like rye, etc.

I was told all of this by a Wyeast rep after getting drunk and sending a sarcastic email about their numbers. IIRC the person said their math is all based on 1.050 wort, but I could be remembering wrong.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Zakath posted:

Should I have been aiming to boil all of the extra water off?

Yup, as you noticed higher gravity beers require more water and longer boils - it also helps to keep a few pounds of DME on hand just in case you really end up under your target FG.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

fullroundaction posted:

I was told all of this by a Wyeast rep after getting drunk and sending a sarcastic email about their numbers.
After bartenders, bouncers, and cops, the people who most need to be able to deal with surly drunks has got to be sales reps in the homebrewing business.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Got my stir plate built and working, I just need to get a real stir bar and an Erlenmeyer flask, and make a case for it in the woodshop.

Here it is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9j4Z9Wgh3o

(I know exposed wiring is bad, but 6 volts never killed anyone.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Right now my home made stirplate is busy building a starter that I'll split into four pint jars tomorrow and put into the fridge.

Of course, to do that I have to move the yeast cultures that are already in the pint jars into half-pint jars.

Of course, to do that I need to boil some half-pint jars so that they're sanitized and that there will be sterilized top-off water.

Of course, to do that, I have to get off my rear end...

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Yeah, I tried that over the summer, it's really good. They were out of syrup so I had it straight. Nice and sour and had a fair amount of body for such a low gravity beer. I've considered making a batch but I haven't really done enough research on the different methods of getting the right flavor. Frankly it's easily the best GR beer I've had, I always end up leaving there unimpressed.

Does anyone know what recipe/process they use? I came up empty researching it a few months ago.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
constituent concentration
total hardness 53 mg/l CaCO3
total alkalinity 42.7 mg/l CaCO3
calcium 17.4 mg/l
magnesium 8.5 mg/l
sulfate 12.4 mg/l
sodium 10.7 mg/l
chloride 23.2 mg/l
chlorine .75 mg/l

So here is what was given to me by my city's water department. Can anyone who uses beersmith tell me what I should be putting into the water profile?
It doesn't seem quite match up, mineral profile just has Ca, Mg, Na, SO4, Cl, and HCO3.
It's been a long time since I took chemistry so I'm not sure exactly how to break these down.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ca is calcium, Mg is magnesium, Na is sodium, SO4 is sulfate, Cl is chlorine, CHO3 I guess is Chloride. It's been a long time since chem!

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Daedalus Esquire posted:

constituent concentration
total hardness 53 mg/l CaCO3
total alkalinity 42.7 mg/l CaCO3
calcium 17.4 mg/l
magnesium 8.5 mg/l
sulfate 12.4 mg/l
sodium 10.7 mg/l
chloride 23.2 mg/l
chlorine .75 mg/l

So here is what was given to me by my city's water department. Can anyone who uses beersmith tell me what I should be putting into the water profile?
It doesn't seem quite match up, mineral profile just has Ca, Mg, Na, SO4, Cl, and HCO3.
It's been a long time since I took chemistry so I'm not sure exactly how to break these down.

I'm assuming you're only having problems with the SO4 (sulfate) and HCO3 parts. I'm no expert, but if I remember correctly, total hardness can be represented either by CaCO3 (as they do in the water report) or as HCO3 (as BeerSmith does). Multiply the CaCO3 value given by your water report by 1.22 (as per this site) to get it represented in HCO3, and plug that in to BeerSmith and you're all set.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm assuming you're only having problems with the SO4 (sulfate) and HCO3 parts. I'm no expert, but if I remember correctly, total hardness can be represented either by CaCO3 (as they do in the water report) or as HCO3 (as BeerSmith does). Multiply the CaCO3 value given by your water report by 1.22 (as per this site) to get it represented in HCO3, and plug that in to BeerSmith and you're all set.

:golfclap:

Put this in the OP or something, my city report is the same format and I constantly forget how to convert it. Thanks.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Ok great, thanks. I wasn't sure if I had to do some sort of chemistry, but that's a pretty simple conversion. I wasn't sure if I had to somehow factor in the Ca ions from the CaCO3 or something.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Ok great, thanks. I wasn't sure if I had to do some sort of chemistry, but that's a pretty simple conversion. I wasn't sure if I had to somehow factor in the Ca ions from the CaCO3 or something.

Scholarly chemistry stinks. It might as well have been

code:
To get the hydrogen percentage of 2ChAu2HMe... Divide by the bacon and add the cheeseburger
Cause I don't remember any of it either.

The only chemistry that matters to me is: yeast parties with sugar too hard... Gets sick, pukes alcohol and craps CO2.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Went to my LHBS today and bought a 1 inch stir bar, and built a wooden box for my stir plate. I can't believe how much better it works with a real stir bar!

Just have to seal it, and it should be dry enough to use on Friday in time to pitch yeast on brew-day (Saturday). This has been a pretty fun build, wondering what to make next... Any suggestions?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Josh Wow posted:

This is ok advice but definitely do not add the yeast at 80*. Always, always, loving 100% of the time pitch your yeast strain 2-4*F below the temperature you plan on fermenting. This would solve so many homebrewers problems it boggles my mind.

Those instructions aren't all that comprehensive so here we go:

You'll want to start with 2.5 gallons of water and add your honey malt in a mesh sock or nylon bag (you can get a paint strainer bag from lowes/home depot for like $3 for this) to the pot. Make sure the grains get soaked and get your temperature up to 170*, and at that point pull out the honey malt and throw it away. This process will extract all the sugars and therefore flavor out of the honey malt, and you want to pull it out at 170* because above that temperature you can extract tannins from your grain.

At this point kill your heat and add half your extract, making sure to stir it in really well. Put your heat back on and get to a boil. Watch the pot carefully when it starts boiling to avoid a boilover. After you've been boiling for 5 minutes and haven't had a boilover add your Saaz and watch for a boilover again. This is your 60 minute hop addition and will give you your bitterness.

After you've been boiling for 45 minutes turn the heat off and add the other half of your extract. The purpose of adding the extract late in the boil is to keep your color light, while still sanitizing the extract. Once you get back to a boil wait 5 minutes and add your Goldings, this will be your 10 minute hop addition and will provide flavor and aroma along with a little bitterness.

After you're done boiling for 60 minutes kill the heat and add your lightly crushed coriander and orange peel and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now chill your wort down to 2-4*F below the temperature you plan to ferment at and transfer it all to your Mr. Beer keg and add the yeast. If you can't chill down cool enough in your pot just get it as cold as you can, transfer it to your mr. beer and stick that thing in the fridge until you get down to your pitching temperature. Ferment for 2 weeks, bottle and let it sit for two weeks and enjoy.

Is natural carbonation just letting the tail end of fermentation do the carbonating for you rather than adding some priming sugar? If so having a little bit of excess sugar is exactly what you need.

Much appreciated. Followed these instructions pretty much, though I had trouble getting everything boiling. Got it going as close as I could and finished off. It's showing ferment activity and everything, so now I wait and see if I screwed up. If so, learning experience! Next time, with a stove unable to boil 2.5 gallons easily, should I split it into multiple containers? Combine boiling water and that'll remain boiling on a burner? Or just split and do entire thing in smaller batches but combine for ferment?

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Super Rad posted:

Yup, as you noticed higher gravity beers require more water and longer boils - it also helps to keep a few pounds of DME on hand just in case you really end up under your target FG.
Live and learn. I think I seriously hosed the paint on my stove-top by using two burners with my pot as well. At least the resulting beer pretty much matches an IPA, so it should be pretty drinkable.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Daedalus Esquire posted:

For overly anal brewers like myself, Ward Laboratories has a Brewing Water Test for $36 with shipping both ways included. If you just want the numbers to plug into every brewing calculator everywhere, the W-6 Household Mineral Test has all those values for $26 shipped. I'm not sure what one would do with the extra numbers provided by the brewing test.

Midorka posted:

Cl is chlorine, CHO3 I guess is Chloride
Cl is ionic chloride (Cl2 is chlorine). CaCO3 is hardness, but reacts thusly CaCO3 + H2O + CO2 = Ca(HCO3)2. The molecular weight of CaCO3 is 100g/mol, and HCO3 is 61g/mol and you get 2x HCO3 for each CaCO3 so that's how you get CaCO3 x 1.22 = HCO3! :eng101:

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 23, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

RagingBoner posted:

Just have to seal it, and it should be dry enough to use on Friday in time to pitch yeast on brew-day (Saturday). This has been a pretty fun build, wondering what to make next... Any suggestions?

Honestly? Bottle storage. I WISH I was talented enough to make the 12x12oz/6x22oz container I attempted in my wood class. (I'd also buy some off you if are willing - PM Me, srs post)

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

RagingBoner posted:

Just have to seal it, and it should be dry enough to use on Friday in time to pitch yeast on brew-day (Saturday).

Just a tip but you should always try and decant the starter wort from your starter when you make it on a stir plate. It oxidizes the hell out of the starter wort and you don't really want to pitch that into your batch, so give it 24 hours in the fridge and just pitch the fresh awesome yeast.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Soooo I've been homebrewing for a year now. Have about a dozen batches under my belt. I really enjoy brewing. I'd like to consider the big leagues.

Now - don't get me wrong - I understand this isn't something to take lightly. So as a goal for 2013 - I'd like to learn as much as I can about the brewing industry and what it would take to actually open and run a brewery. The question I'm trying to answer is: If I enjoy this so much - how conceivable is it to actually take the next step and go from hobby to career?

So - I'm trying to lay out all the resources I should pursue to get started. I've got a few books on homebrewing and just ordered the Brooklyn Brewery's book (might help?). I'm already a member of the AHA.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

edit: Sorry for the confusion. I'm not looking to open a brewery right this minute/this year. I'm talking more 5-7 years down the line. I want to start educating myself, gathering resources, figure out how to gain more experience than I can by brewing in my barely 600 sq. ft. apartment etc.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lowness 72 posted:

Soooo I've been homebrewing for a year now. Have about a dozen batches under my belt. I really enjoy brewing. I'd like to consider the big leagues.

Now - don't get me wrong - I understand this isn't something to take lightly. So as a goal for 2013 - I'd like to learn as much as I can about the brewing industry and what it would take to actually open and run a brewery. The question I'm trying to answer is: If I enjoy this so much - how conceivable is it to actually take the next step and go from hobby to career?

So - I'm trying to lay out all the resources I should pursue to get started. I've got a few books on homebrewing and just ordered the Brooklyn Brewery's book (might help?). I'm already a member of the AHA.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

Maybe try ramping it up a bit first, see how you deal with a more frequent brewing schedule? I've only been brewing since late November and I'm making batch number 11 this weekend.